Start by marking “Human” as Want to Read:
Human

Read Book

Human

At the behest of the vampiric Shadow Council, Aleksandar Svetoslav, Prince of his House, moves to America to re-establish their foothold there. It was a territory lost when opportunistic vampire hunters laid waste to the hedonistic House Üstrel. He did not expect to find the assets of House Üstrel in such shambles.

Nor did he expect that this tedious mission would lead to
Published October 31st 2015 by S.M. Carrière

To ask other readers questions about Human, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Human

Start your review of Human
Bill Eggleton
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow! This latest story from S.M Carriere is another page turner! I've known S.M. Carriere for a number of years and have enjoyed all of her works. However, I started this novel with a bit of trepidation as I'm not a big fan of vampire stories, or supernatural one for that matter, but wow! S.M. Carriere captures you with the first sentence and holds you until the very last word. I had difficulty putting putting the novel down to get other things done, like going to work! Yes the protagonist is a ...more
Robert Dowsett
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it
I ordered a copy of "Human" because I greatly enjoyed the two Seraphime Saga books by the same author and because of the snazzy book trailer that spoke to the Thriller aspects of the plot. To be fair, this book exists in the genres of Vampire Fiction and Urban Supernatural Stuff, neither of which are big hits with me personally, so there was a bit of an uphill battle from the start.

On the whole, I liked it (partial star ratings don't seem to be a thing on Goodreads, but consider this a solid
Susan
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Nick Rossi
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
We can all agree that pop culture's fascination with Vampires is waning, right? I know I'm not the only one who thinks that the mystery and intrigue that once characterized the undead has literally been erased by the onslaught of Vampirism in the media (I'm looking at you, Twilight).

However, there are still a few bits of originality and uniqueness being added the representation of these blood-thirsty creatures in modern literature. One such welcome addition to the Vampire pantheon is "Human"
Eric Desmarais
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can count on one hand the Vampire novels I’ve enjoyed. Most of the time they are filled with angst ridden, brooding, Lestat clones. It’s obvious that S.M. Carrière has done research on the history and mythology of vampires. These vampires are cursed and deadly not huggable puppies.

The romance in this novel is intriguing in its lack of cringe worthy moments and highly enjoyable for its blush worthy sex scenes.

The story is a wonderful mix of political intrigue, monsters, romance, mystery, and
Kenneth Wilson
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Goodreads Giveaway

I've tried modern day takes on vampire stories and haven't really got on with them, so I approached this one with a little caution. This, however, is one of those books that I thoroughly enjoyed from start to finish. A solid tale of horror, yet a story of love. Great characters with whom I easily related.

By the time it came to the last quarter of the book I was totally immersed. By the end I was breathless and the tension was palpable. A solid finale
Cait Gordon
Jun 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: authors-i-ve-met
This book has me completely "enthralled". Superbly written tale of Aleksandar Zograf, who becomes prince of House Svetoslav, a clan of vampires known as Opyri. He’s a savvy businessman, philanthropist, with an old-world charm that is crazy sexy. Honestly, I found myself wanting him to bite me more than once. This book is steamy, gritty, full of intrigue, and so smartly crafted. Completely converted me from a vampire-story doubter to a total fan of the genre!
Alexhalebooks
Aug 08, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a fairly decent read. I didn't love it, but I certainly enjoyed it. As Vampire fiction goes, it has a lot to recommend it. The vampires are depicted as menacing and actually scary, for one. Even if they don't do much, the potential for violence and horror is constant and palpable around them. The prose is good, if bland, and the dialogue has a good sense of voice, though there are a few jarring britishisms that seem out of place in a story set in some nebulous area of the United States. ...more
Laurie Stewart
Oct 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Human is the story of Aleksandar Svetoslav, a centuries old vampire from Eastern Europe. He’s sent to America to rebuild the territory of the last Prince and his House, after he and his entire line are slaughtered by vampire hunters.
The story begins with Aleksandar’s rescue and conversion in the face of the Mongol invasion in Eastern Europe. It then lightly touches on the ensuing centuries, to cast a brief but glowing eye on pre-war Europe in 1910. Then jumps straight to present day.
But things
Debbie Allen
Nov 15, 2016
Willow
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
Too many stories started and only one being finished...I don't get it...
S.M. Carrière
Jul 02, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Sharon
Michelle Vincent
Todd Rumsey
Ainy K
Oct 08, 2015
When S.M. Carrière isn't brutally killing your favourite characters, she spends her time teaching martial arts, live streaming video games, and cuddling her cats. In other words, she spends her time teaching others to kill, streaming her digital kills, and cuddling furry murderers.

Author bio helpfully provided by Éric Desmarais.