Start by marking “Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days” as Want to Read:
Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days

Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  13,972 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews
From three design partners at Google Ventures, a unique five-day process for solving tough problems using design, prototyping, and testing ideas with customers.

The startups that Google Ventures invest in face big questions every day: Where’s the most important place to focus your effort, and how do you start? What will your ideas look like in real life? How many meetings a
Published March 8th 2016 by Simon Schuster

·  13,972 ratings  ·  1,010 reviews

Start your review of Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
Jake Knapp
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Well, I'm biased, but I thought it was pretty great. Definitely better than the rough drafts! :)
John
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-by-me
Creating and evaluating new product features is my world.

This book has a double grade:

If you know nothing about how to limit the scope of your product and validate it, this book is for you. It is a decent all-in-one plan to test a big idea in a week. The methodology is sound and fits in with decades of research regarding product development and design, as well as more recent work in usability and "lean" modes of development.

The book has judicious guidance on getting the right team together, gett
Brinton Atkinson
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My company (Lucidsoftware) was actually able to get the book early (being backed by Google Ventures). We had the chance to read it, and my team actually put the process to the test. It really helped us get a better sense of direction and focus for the future, while saving us so much time. I think we would all recommend it. If you'd like a deeper review of what happened, check out our post about it: What we learned running our own google ventures sprint - https://www.lucidpress.com/blog/2016/... ...more
Adam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting and informative business book. It details the "sprint" process used at Google Ventures (the venture capital arm of Alphabet / Google). The sprint is a way of approaching business problems, typically but not exclusively related to product design and marketing, through an intensive five-days of analysis, prototyping and feedback gathering.

As someone who works with large corporations where decision-making is often painfully slow, and meetings can be unproductive, it's nice to see a bet
David Tucker
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Overview

Being a bit of a process geek, I was excited to read Jake Knapp's new book, Sprint, which covers the refined innovation approach that is used at Google Ventures. I feel that this book is a must read for executives, digital product owners, as well as designers/developers (and I would rarely categorize one book as good for all of those demographics).

Detailed Review

One of the great things about this book is that it takes some of the core aspects of agile/lean methodology but boils them into
Silver Jaanus
Sep 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book was about organising a session to quickly come up with and test a product idea. This can be summarised in max 1 chapter and a whole books seems like a huge waste of time.
Shivanand Velmurugan
Feb 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well written. A fast read.

It is a bit disconcerting that authors decided to not mention that most of what they profess in the book is "borrowed" from several processes and methods of the past. There is a whole chapter for thank-you's but no mention of Agile, Scrum, Iterative Design (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itera...). Personally it was irksome, and I had the nagging feeling of being talked down to.

The framework of condensing a lot of techniques into a single week with structure is intrig
Garrio H.
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I went into Sprint thinking it was going to be a good book for startups and small businesses. I quickly realized many of the tools and actionable insights outlined in the book can apply to organizations of any size and across pretty much any industry. I’d highly recommend it. – The book’s website has a lot of great resources worth checking out too.
Andy
Mar 07, 2019 rated it liked it
The general concept seems OK. I will try the Time Timer and see how helpful that is.
Update April 2019: I tried the Time Timer and it is actually quite useful so I bumped up the score to 3*.

Nerd addendum:
There was a lot of bashing of brainstorming that seemed inappropriate because a lot of the Sprint approach is taken from IDEO, who are evangelists for brainstorming.The authors' critiques were straw man arguments redefining the term. Overall, it seemed like the authors are forcing things to ma
Bernd Schiffer
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Good approach, good outline to follow. I can see how it would be helpful for a lot of companies.

But what marketing genius came up with that name? Not only is it already widely used within the Agile community (Scrum sprints), but it also has a different meaning (here: dash as in track and field; Scrum: huddle or get-together as in Rugby). If this method takes off, this name will be cause for lot of confusion :(
Goce
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book on how to get extremely valuable results and feedback for a product in just one week.
Very resourceful and easy to read and digest.

Another thing which I liked was that at the end, the authors provide checklists about all the processes they describe throughout the book which makes it easier for someone who plans on doing a Sprint.
Lynn
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
I kept waiting for the "wow" moment but there really wasn't one. It's full of good info if you are new to software development or agile. Create prototypes, work with your team, get feedback quickly...
Niels Mulder
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Practical guide in how to proper host a Sprint. I think it can be a bit more concise, although the checklist at the end is very helpful. Following the format saves you a lot of time. You still need to keep practising and finetuning your skills by running a lot of Sprints.
Maria Lasprilla
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In January 2018 I will be taking part in a Design Sprint, and I've been reading the book to dig into the details. Only then I will feel I have all the information needed to rate the book since it is basically a practical guide to put the methodology in practice.

Although there is mostly step by step instructions (well explained), there are also some good bits and pieces that are valuable on their own. One of my favorite was a chapter on prototyping where they talked about what they refer to as "T
Olivier Cruchant
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: business
** NOTE: I did not read beyond p133 **

I feel like this could have been a blog post rather than a 264-pages book : I learnt more things in the inside cover picture and the checklist at the end than in the 133 pages I read.
The framework makes sense and the checklist at the end is pretty handy - hence I give 2 stars (I usually give 1 star to the books that do not keep me passionate until the end)
Daniel
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Learn how Jake and his buddies at Google Ventures have helped startups solve big problems with the Sprint. The book is packed with interesting anecdotes, lessons learnt, and lots of other tips that will help you run your own Sprints. I want to run a Sprint now!
Petar Ivanov
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A very practical book with a set of actionable ideas, exercises, and general directions for finding solutions quicker. It's like a manual for innovation that you could put in practice right away. However, there were some sections with repetition but it wasn't so overwhelming. It's really easy to read and I highly recommend going throughout the book.
Jose Papo
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a must read book for anyone planning to do a 5-day Design Sprint in Google style. The authors work at Google Ventures and use the same format for all startups invested by GV. I work for Google as Developer and Startup Relations Manager and we also use the format to help early-stage and mature-stage startups inside our programs. The book contains every detail and step by step processes to run the 5 day design sprint. The main sections of the book are organized by day (From Monday to Frida ...more
Andrea Sipos
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
The overall description of the design sprint process is good, the case studies are interesting. I felt that this book could be more useful for product people at the beginning of their carrier, than more experienced professionals. The books explains the process, but doesn't highlight the reasons behind it.
Kevin Orth
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well written and a wonderful, informative read for its target audience. The target audience is a manager and/or project manager for a larger company. If you are aspiring to be in this role you will get a lot out of this book. If you are not, I doubt you would get much actionable advice.
Elena
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Abandoning at 70%. Not enough ideas worth writing a whole book.
Beatriz
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
I loved it! I think this book is the best way to put into practise the "Lean Start-up" concept. Fast and easy validation of your hypothesis in 5 days using a very structured framework.
Gabriel Stein
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very excited to test this process, not only in business but in my personal life too.
Da_sh
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: do-it-yourself
Very detailed; sometimes it's even ridiculous.
But convincing. And definitely it works.
chalda
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book because of recommendation from the friend but still I started with it a little bit by coincidence (I haven't got downloaded anything else in my reader) and I was really nicely surprised. First it was pleasure to read it - easy language with a momentum. It was filled with experience and enthusiasm and many tips. I expected a book which whole content could be summarized in few sentences but that was not this case. Even I'm not sure I will ever lead a sprint I feel that I can us ...more
Daniel Olshansky
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The preface starts of really strong with a short background of Jake Knapp’s personal life and career. While I have to admit guilty to being very motivated, driven and impressed by people who’s success is of his caliber, it is the passion with which he delivers the purpose of the book that intrigues me. You can tell that he enjoys what he truly loves what he does, and for that reason I want to listen to what he has to say and learn from his breadth of experience.

The book start off with a couple a
Sergey Kochergan
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Check-lists and tips with tricks how to perform prototyping and quick testing for real life scenarios.
Nathan Crowther
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ux, ux-favorites
Sprint was recommended to me by a friend, Bryan Sebesta, and a mentor, Seth Jenks.

Sprint walks the reader through a week-long process from identifying the problem to testing a solution. The process is meant to take every working hour of every day with lots of time constraints to keep things fresh and moving.

This sounds awesome, but seems hard in practice. However, the value is crystal clear and communicated throughout the book: that the design process is messy, but it can also be structured in s
Timothée Astier
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The authors of this book have obvious expertise about helping startup teams solving real problems. SPRINT is a short and pleasant reading. The 5-day method is clearly explained and the transition to implementation on real cases is made easy by many practical advice and checklists.

I think you get maximum value from the ideas explained in this book if you go and try to run an actual Sprint with your team. I will definitely consider to try it as soon as I can gather a team working full time on our
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I classify this one as a "hammer-book". Why a hammer? Because it's about extremely crude & simple idea that won't cause a "wow" (or "oh snap!") exclamation, but still, even if the prescription is that simple, people just don't follow ...

"Sprint" is all about validated experiments, short, with fully dedicated (& decisive!) people on board. It's about proper decision making - not based on "expert's opinion", but on collaborative work of actual hands-on experts. Doesn't seem very revealing? Well, i
Books for Entrepr...: Sprint 1 2 Dec 30, 2019 06:17PM

• 100 Things Every Designer Needs to Know about People
  • The Workshopper Playbook
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Hacking Growth: How Today's Fastest-Growing Companies Drive Breakout Success
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Change by Design: How Design Thinking Transforms Organizations and Inspires Innovation
  • Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Zero to One: Notes on Startups, or How to Build the Future
  • Lean Analytics: Use Data to Build a Better Startup Faster
  • Traction: A Startup Guide to Getting Customers

News & Interviews

“We’ve found that magic happens when we use big whiteboards to solve problems. As humans, our short-term memory is not all that good, but our spatial memory is awesome. A sprint room, plastered with notes, diagrams, printouts, and more, takes advantage of that spatial memory. The room itself becomes a sort of shared brain for the team.” 14 likes
“By asking people for their input early in the process, you help them feel invested in the outcome.” 4 likes