Start by marking “The Mommy Group: Freaking Out, Finding Friends, and Surviving the Happiest Time of Our Lives” as Want to Read:

“Elizabeth Isadora Gold writes vividly and humorously about the trials and trip-outs of new-motherhood.” —The New Yorker

“If you only read one parenting book this year, make it The Mommy Group...This book is incisive, insightful, and downright delightful. I did not mean for that to rhyme” —Adam Mansbach, #1 New York Times bestselling author of Go the F*ck to Sleep

In 2010, s
Published March 1st 2016 by Atria Books (first published February 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Mommy Group, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mommy Group

Katelyn
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: not pregnant women; the author's negative experiences color her book
3 stars for the descriptions of new moms and their lives. As a new mom myself, this was very interesting to me. I soaked it up, even if many of the experiences were different than mine.

1-2 stars for the author's comments and analysis. She had a few good points about our lack of support for parents in this country, but overall I was unimpressed. Most of her analysis seemed haphazard and only vaguely researched.
Emily Barton
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am so excited to see this book published next month -- I enjoyed every minute of reading it. Gold is smart, funny, very honest about how discombobulating it is to become a parent in one's 30s (or maybe to become a parent at all), aware of her own social context and privilege while, at the same time, really being straightforward about her difficulties. A lot of her experiences resonated with my own, and I think a lot of new parents will find that. When she offers advice, it's tongue-in-cheek an ...more
Caitlin
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book! I really can't wait for our own Mommy Group to get rolling in a few weeks! Lifelong friendships for the adults and the babies!!
Becca
Jun 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: motherhood
It was sometimes hard to relate to these fancy Brooklyn moms... And Gold’s treatment of mental health issues was problematic & othering (despite her own struggle with postpartum anxiety!), especially the way she talks about psychiatric medication. But overall this was a fun book, if somewhat cliche, with a smattering of good info. It’s not as research-driven as I think she meant it to be, although she does mention some interesting studies and interviews.

“My qualifier with any new mom that I
Cindi
Aug 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
I read this because I have an idea for a book I want to write about a Mommy group. This was a very positive book about Mommy groups and how they help new moms make it through the first years of their babies’ lives. I agree with a lot of the stories and anecdotes but I hated the language. I don’t care much for vulgar language and this author is full of it. It is also difficult to relate to completely because of the author and her group being in Brooklyn. I don’t relate at all. Also I felt like th ...more
Rosmary
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: motherhood
Was really forward to reading this as I was looking into starting my own mommy group. Was disappointed. I felt like the story lines were scattered around. Although it was organized by topics it felt disorganized to me. I thought it was going to be more in a timeline format. It was hard to really get to know all the moms and develop a relationship with them because of that. It felt like they just came in as short cameos. Each time one was mentioned I had to figure out who they were again and how ...more
Jenn
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This was an interesting book showing some examples of a mommy group in the author's experience. Being a part of a mommy group, and having a large group of friends that are mothers, I am happy to say that not all pregnancies and labors are this horrific, but some definitely can be. It was frustrating to me that so many of the mamas had to veer drastically from their birth plans {most seemed forced into c-sections}. However, I did enjoy the storylines about their lives after births and with their ...more
Maureen
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Non fiction isn't usually my forte but The Mommy Group was the exception. Seven women got together in Brooklyn NY in 2010 and formed a Mommy Group. A fascinating look at the inner workings of young mothers lives. Whether dealing with postpartum depression, developmental delays or husbands flying the coop this book is a joy to read. it has something for everyone. I highly recommend this to mothers everywhere!
KeAnne
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2016
I liked this book but a lot of it was hard to identify with. All of the women were pregnant & gave birth to their children (no adoption or surrogacy), so there was quite a bit of focus on the physical aspects of motherhood. As well, NYC based. Every time I read a book set in NYC, it is so jarring because those lives and realities are SO different.
Eva Imperial
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I should say started to read but didn't finish. At first this book grabbed my attention with the different mommies in the same circle and the challenges they face, but unfortunately it didn't keep my attention. I do like to be entertained when I read, as my escape from the everyday. This book started to feel like a documentary and didn't keep my interest. I may try it again at a later day.
Adrienne
Mar 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I....don't know. I was interested in it just because her story seems so similar to mine--miscarriage, gestational diabetes, postpartum depression and anxiety--but a lot of her conclusions seem pretty facile. She seemed the least interesting of the group of young mothers that she writes about.
Kayo
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Easy fun read.
Kristin Boldon
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, borrowed
A good read for new moms about the critical need for community after kid/s.
Breedeen
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memior
Not the most profound book, and if I weren't a new mom I probably wouldn't have enjoyed this book. But I am and I did.
Ashlee Tominey
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Probably 4.5 stars. Finally, a book about being a mom that includes words with many syllables. Appreciated the look at her group's emotional journey into motherhood.
Chiara
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this, mostly because it takes place in my neighborhood. Not sure it tooooootally extended beyond the premise for me, but maybe I'm not the right demo either.
Teresa
Apr 21, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and feel like every new mother or soon to be new mother should read it. I too have survived because of my mommy groups. They are much needed during these challenging early years!
Elizabeth
May 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
I connected to this book on many levels. It even made me get choked up on the subway. She is honest and her writing is engaging.
Liz
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Would have been more useful/close to home if I'd read while pregnant or a new mom, but still entertaining enough.
sarabeth

• Tender Hooks: Poems
  • Midwife: A Calling
  • Body Full of Stars: Female Rage and My Passage into Motherhood
  • This Is Ridiculous This Is Amazing: Parenthood in 71 Lists
  • Cut, Stapled, and Mended: When One Woman Reclaimed Her Body and Gave Birth on Her Own Terms After Cesarean
  • Missing: A Memoir
  • Lake Effect
  • Do Parents Matter?: Why Japanese Babies Sleep Soundly, Mexican Siblings Don’t Fight, and American Families Should Just Relax
  • Orion's Daughters
  • The Dream of Doctor Bantam
  • Discipline that Connects with Your Child's Heart
  • The Hip Mama Survival Guide: Advice from the Trenches on Pregnancy, Childbirth, Cool Names, Clueless Doctors, Potty Training, and Toddler Avengers
  • Inconsolable: How I Threw My Mental Health Out With the Diapers
  • Catastrophic Happiness: Finding Joy in Childhood's Messy Years
  • Hotel Living
  • Goldenland Past Dark
  • Dear Jenny, We Are All Find
  • What Great Parents Do: 75 Proven Strategies for Raising Fantastic Kids
Elizabeth Isadora Gold’s writing about motherhood, books, music, and feminism has appeared in The New York Times, The Believer, Tin House, The Rumpus, Time Out New York, and many other publications. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, with her husband and daughter.