Start by marking “Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War” as Want to Read:
Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War

Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War

The never-before-told story of the computer scientists and the NSA, Pentagon, and White House policymakers who invented and employ the wars of the present and future - the cyber wars where every country can be a major power player and every hacker a mass destroyer, as reported by a Pulitzer Prize-winning security and defense journalist.

In June 1983, President R
Published March 1st 2016 by Simon Schuster

Start your review of Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War
John Lamb
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I continue my quest to be the most informed snob at any dinner party so I can maintain my delicate card tower of affected pretentiousness by finishing this book about America's secret war of cyber attacks. I will let you know know the most interesting bits in person.
Radiantflux
Aug 08, 2017 rated it liked it
49th book for 2017.

An interesting history of cyberwarfare over the last 50 years, almost exclusively told from an American perspective.

The big take home messages for me were: how vulnerable societies (and interestingly in particular the US) are from crippling attacks (from power stations to hospitals to voting systems); how concerted, long-term lobbying pressure from Silicon Valley has left huge gaps in security, which is almost a design feature as costs of attacks are externalized
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
This is compelling book about a worldwide issue that's underreported, under addressed, and honestly terrifying. Governments have been hacking into their rivals' computers for decades but it's taken nearly as long for cyber attacks to be considered a genuine threat.

This also could have a real snoozer of a book, given the complexity of the topic. But Kaplan and the audiobook narrator (Malcolm Hillgartner) make it easier to understand than I expected. That said, I could probably gain even more ins
Mal Warwick
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Occasionally, I come across a book on an important topic that’s crammed with information I was able to find nowhere else — but is a chore to read. Even though it is not an academic study but clearly intended for a general audience, Fred Kaplan’s recent history of cyber war, Dark Territory, is one such book.

A story stretching over five decades

Unlike previous treatments that I’ve read about the topic, which zero in on the vulnerability of the American economy to attacks thr
Peter Mcloughlin
Covers the history of cyber security and cyber warfare in the US from the 1980s through Obama's tenure. This might be related to another book called "the seventh sense." Power now is defined as the ability to hack and control network platforms. The ability to do so gives hackers and hacking organizations supreme power over power grids, weapon systems and just about anything hooked up to a computer network nowadays. Mastery of this technology which easier to offensively wield than play defense is ...more
Bettie
Jan 06, 2017 marked it as wish-list

Description: In June 1983, President Reagan watched the movie War Games, in which a kid unwittingly hacks the Pentagon, and asked his top general if the scenario was plausible. The general said it was. This set in motion the first presidential directive on computer security.

The first use of cyber techniques in battle occurred in George H.W. Bush's Kuwait invasion in 1991 to disable Saddam's military communications. One year later, the NSA Director watched Sneakers, in which one of th
Eric_W
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, a very readable, veritable page-turner that details in clear, understandable terms, the technology, bureaucratic in-fighting, and events that have led us to where we are today, on the cusp of a revolution in surveillance, intelligence, and warfare.

It's almost a truism that generals fight the last war instead of the present one. That is certainly obvious from reading Kaplan's very disturbing history of cyber vulnerabilities in the United States. In spite of
William
Jun 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll give it a four because of the info. But that same info was was repetitive as if the chapters were independent and not a lot of care given to making this a cohesive read. Redundancies stop me short and have me wondering if I am on the right trail.
If your reading this then you sure listen to his info.
Jason
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was ok
A better title would have been "Dark Territory: A History of American Cyber Security Bureaucracy."

This book contains a wealth of information and a number of interesting stories and insights. Unfortunately, it is a laborious and nod-off inducing read, by a well informed author with no clue how to build a compelling narrative or meaningful critical perspective. It also places far too much emphasis on the bureaucracies of the American defense complex and not enough emphasis on the large
Lynda
May 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
Interesting, but not well written.
David Sasaki
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paperback
My instinct is to ignore the warnings of lawyers, security experts, and anyone else whose income is based on their capacity to invoke fear. With hindsight, it's an instinct that has served me well; the long arc of history is usually on the side of the optimists. But it is also my blindspot. Rarely to I seek out information about the risks and dangers we face.

Fortunately, my colleague Eli Sugarman suggested that we read Fred Kaplan's Dark Territory: The Secret History of Cyber War as the first installment
Kathrin
Jul 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Good recounting of the development of the perception of cyber treats from the Reagan to the Obama presidency and how the executive branch reacted to the rapid change of information warfare. Still, the writing (or the narration) left me very disengaged.
John de' Medici
Mar 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Found this to be an highly engrossing read, especially because I have for a time been keen on the topic of "cyber warfare"...
I especially loved this book's approach - a behind the scenes look into the History of Cyber War in relation to the US. The NSA of course taking the major spotlight.

Any good book I think should be able to make you reconsider one or more viewpoints that you hold...
This too was no exception. I find myself reconsidering my attitude towards the NSA, muc
Derkanus
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
Summary: Dark Territory covers the history of US cyber security in fairly broad strokes. These are some of the major events that it discusses:

NSDD-145: After seeing the movie "Wargames" and learning that the state of US cyber security was actually WORSE than it was portrayed in the movie, President Reagan signed this directive that provided initial objectives, policies, and an organizational structure to guide the conduct of federal activities toward "safeguarding systems which process or co
Ross Siegel
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating and scary read about the state Of modern warfare

Kaplan does a spectacular job about laying out the facts of the history of American warfare and the people and events that drove policy or lack thereof.
The world is scarier now which is why it's more important that everyone with an eye to government over reach, foreign policy, freedom of information and privacy read this book.
I do wish, however that Kaplan had spent more time discussing what America does in a modern offens
Goatboy
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Good easy to read summary of the history of cyber warfare, defense, hacking and governmental red tape and ignorance. I might have given it an extra star if it contained more about other countries and didn’t concentrate so much on the US. Also I can’t put my finger on it but something strikes me wary when it comes to the book’s politics. It’s definitely trusting of US intentions and rarely seems to question the potential for misuse of these seductive powers of omniscience.
Andrew Obrigewitsch
Jul 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: computer, history
An excellent history of cyber warfare. One can see how this could easily escalate out of control, and is the weapon of the future which most companies aren't even thinking about defending against. Which puts them at grave risk.
John Carey
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Great overview. Lays out the important points of debate with historical context, then tries to give the strongest argument to each side.

Takeaways:
-There's a balance between cyber offense and defense. The more holes America can exploit against others, means more holes for us to be attacked. Since America is the most "integrated" country into the internet of things, we're arguably the most vulnerable. This makes retaliation trickier than in the nuclear side of things.
-After
Karel Baloun
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We are at a dramatic crux in military strategy, where cyber warfare is becoming perhaps the most active battle ground. China is actively penetrating systems, and Russia is leading in information warfare. The first chapters feel historical, even when relating events from just 10-20 years ago, yet the conclusion couldn’t possibly be more timely or more imminently impactful. Well researched and carefully written. Powerful.

This book inspired me to go study for a masters in cybersecurity.
Mer
Jun 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, science, spy
This book reminds me of Tom Clancy's novels; tons of federal agency -names, job titles, acronyms- who all appear to be doing things that sound the same. It can get very confusing. I didn't keep track but would say roughly 2 dozen folks (or less) that float in and out of the same federal and commercial job posts; a very small world where everyone seems to know each other.

The jumping back and forth in time was a bit confusing but it would have to be done to cover all the events and car
Mona
Apr 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
Quite disappointed.

This is a book about US policies, policies makers and bureaucracy associated with cyber security. Not really about anything else. I was hoping to get some insight on specific measures which were undertaken in specific scenarios of cyber threats, so clearly there was a dissonance between my expectations and what was presented.

Aside from that, I think the narrative was poor, disorganized and noncoherent. There was "no flow". Author didn't enga
Stuart Berman
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, technology
It reads like a suspense novel but presents the little known history of nation-state hacking since computer networks came into existence after World War II through the 2016 elections.

Was the movie War Games based on reality?

When did we first detect Russia and Chinese infiltrations into US Department of Defense networks?

When did Iranians infiltrate Aramco and Las Vegas Sands organizations and for what purpose?

Every computer security professional needs to read
Terry Fernandes
Kaplan provides an excellent account of how cyber tactics, cyber security, and cyber warfare evolved in the United States. It was not a smooth evolution, encountering, as it did, speed bumps of complacency, disinterest, and skepticism. We arrived later to the party than we should have. Kaplan's level of detail and insight is at times surprising, and the reader might wonder at his access to what seem like highly sensitive, and very likely classified, information. All thinking people should read t ...more
Ryan Lackey
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An adequate overview of cybersecurity policy in the US over the past 50 years. Nothing really new, although a good presentation of some of the administrative/political/bureaucratic parts in the 90s/00s around NSA and turf wars against other agencies/involvement in Iraq/Afghanistan/GWOT. I'd probably recommend primary sources (books by Hayden, Alexander, etc.) instead. Kaplan also doesn't really seem to understand the technology very well, so we just get the standard repeated phrases about variou ...more
Damien Ayers
Feb 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent detailed history of computer security and government sanctioned hacking from the US side.

Still and untenable problem. Scary that the leading thinking is that a good offence is the best defence.
Daniel Frank
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
If anybody knows of a great book about cyber warfare, please let me know, because this is definitely not it.
Glenn
Sep 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Robert Gates served under 8 presidents of both parties in roles for the CIA, NSA and as Secretary of Defense. As a youngster in Kansas, he learned from his Grandfather, a stationmaster on the Santa Fe Railroad, that a stretch of track uncontrolled by signals was called "Dark Territory". Hence the title of Fred Kaplan's exploration of the history and politics of cyber warfare. Kaplan's focus is the challenging task of balancing liberty and security in a territory where communications are broken u ...more
Kathy Heare Watts
With our worlds advancements and the changes in technology, this book paints a picture of how warfare via cyberspace has changed. It also outlines how our lawmakers must stay ahead of the game to keep its citizens protected.

I won a copy of this book during a Goodreads giveaway. I am under no obligation to leave a review or rating and do so voluntarily. So that others may also enjoy this book, I am paying it forward by donating it to my local library.
Paul Jerimy
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, infosec
Dark Territory was an interesting history of how the U.S. government has approached information security from Reagan's era through Obama's presidency. As the title suggests, most of the focus was on the offensive side of cyber. This meant that a majority of the content was about the NSA. The difficulty of defending against cyber attacks was mentioned many times, however not a was said about Information Assurance or the Department of Homeland Security's role in that defense.

Overall, I
Charles
May 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
Wanted to read this after reading a NYT article 3 Books That Help Make Sense of Cyberwar. I thought it amusing that one of the books was Neuromancer-- a personal fave.

The narrative describes the fitful progress the US Government (mostly) and industry has made toward network security and an offensive cyber capability.

This is a very high-profile book. Its completely non-technical, except in defining the needed vocabulary. (Got root?) This I suppose is necessary, because its subject is both technically, organizationa(Got
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Dark Territory paperback 4 9 Oct 07, 2016 04:19PM

• @War: The Rise of the Military-Internet Complex
  • Playing to the Edge: American Intelligence in the Age of Terror
  • Rise of the Machines: A Cybernetic History
  • Spam: A Shadow History of the Internet
  • Code Warriors: NSA's Code Breakers and the Secret Intelligence War Against the Soviet Union
  • Power Wars: Inside Obama's Post-9/11 Presidency
  • The Red Web: The Struggle Between Russia's Digital Dictators and the New Online Revolutionaries
  • The Darkening Web: The War for Cyberspace
  • The Imagineers of War: The Untold Story of DARPA, the Pentagon Agency That Changed the World
  • The Hacked World Order: How Nations Fight, Trade, Maneuver, and Manipulate in the Digital Age
  • The Last Thousand Days of the British Empire: Churchill, Roosevelt, and the Birth of the Pax Americana
  • Everything Under the Heavens: How the Past Helps Shape China’s Push for Global Power
  • The Book of Absinthe: A Cultural History
  • The Return of Marco Polo's World: War, Strategy, and American Interests in the Twenty-First Century
  • America the Vulnerable: Inside the New Threat Matrix of Digital Espionage, Crime, and Warfare
  • LikeWar: The Weaponization of Social Media
  • Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy
  • The Pentagon's Brain: An Uncensored History of DARPA, America's Top-Secret Military Research Agency

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
“When a director at Pacific Gas & Electric, one of the nation’s largest utilities, testified that all of its control systems were getting hooked up to the Internet, to save money and speed up the transmission of energy, Lacombe asked what the company was doing about security. He didn’t know what Lacombe was talking about.” 2 likes
“(On the day of the 9/11 attacks, Rice was scheduled to deliver a speech on the major threats facing the land; the draft didn’t so much as mention bin Laden or al Qaeda.) In” 1 likes