Start by marking “The Flood Girls” as Want to Read:
The Flood Girls

The Flood Girls

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  3,629 Ratings  ·  657 Reviews
This snappy, sassy redemption story set in small-town Montana is “a wild and crazy debut novel by a talented young writer” (Jackie Collins), filled with an uproarious and unforgettable cast of characters you won’t want to leave behind.

Welcome to Quinn, Montana, population: 956. A town where nearly all of the volunteer firemen are named Jim, where The Dirty Shame—the only b
Published February 2nd 2016 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about The Flood Girls, please sign up.
Carol Marsh
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Mary Jacobson Shouldn’t all books be good for a Christian library?

Julie Tompkins
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
As a 60-year-old woman I find the publishing world wants to sell me on surviving grief and senior sex when all I want are strong, realistic characters who make me feel something other than looming decrepitude. I don't know who Richard Fifield thinks he is, but to me he's a master of the female voice. His book is filled with so many women I recognize from my own growing up in a small town that I became nostalgic for those sensible, bighearted bitches... Something I didn't think possible.

The town
Megan Johnson
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general-fiction
I grew up in a very small town where everyone seemingly knew everyone - the good and the bad. This is probably why I find myself so drawn to stories of small towns, and Richard Fifield's The Flood Girls is no exception - in fact, it's one of the best small-town novels I think I've ever read.

description

The Flood Girls gives readers a glimpse into the small little town of Quinn, Montana...where things are not as peachy and nice as you might think they would be. Every new volunteer firefighter is seemingly na
Dorie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given an ARC copy of this book through NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Well, I had to compose myself for a couple of days before I wrote this review. The first few chapters were only o.k. for me. I thought, well another story about quirky people in a small town. Then I sat and read for 6 hours straight.

The Flood Girls is about a small town in Montana, Quinn, and there are very diverse characters for sure. The difference with this book is how incredibly well Mr
Kelly (and the Book Boar)
Find all of my reviews at: http://52bookminimum.blogspot.com/

Thomas Wolfe wrote you can’t go home again. Fitting that I wound up listening a book about a woman returning to her hometown during my 12-hour round-trip solo drive back to the place where I was born and raised for the first time in a decade. In The Flood Girls Rachel returns to a town full of trailer parks and alcoholics because she felt she needed to re-work Step 8. In case you aren’t familiar . . . .

I ended up in the local waterin
Melki
Laverna had no doubts about her hometown, knew that it created devils and angels, queens and boy princesses, gritty souls that could survive anything.

Rachel's back in town, Quinn, Montana, to be precise; a small town filled with souls who have not forgotten that Rachel once had a certain . . . reputation. But, she's in an AA twelve-step program, and needs to make amends to those she's wronged, so here she is, settling into her late father's trailer home, ready to take on the town gossips, and, g
Oct 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
I am sincerely torn about this book. I wanted so much to say that I loved it and that I thought it was incredible but I think this is one of those stories that will appeal to some readers and would be lost in others. For me, I recognize the fantastic effort set forth by the author's debut work. However, I don't think I'm necessarily the target audience for this kind of story. The plot itself is commendable - an alcoholic (Rachel) going through the steps to recovery from Alcoholics Anonymous retu ...more
Betty B
Oct 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Damn you, Richard Fifield.

I took a copy of The Flood Girls on a family vacation this Summer, and I couldn't put it down! Rather than having ravaging sex with my husband under the midnight sun of Iceland, I feigned sleepiness so I could climb into bed and read more about the town of Quinn and it's lively inhabitants. I snuck quick chapters in the bathroom as my family impatiently waited for me to be ready to walk into town for dinner. Friends ask me to regale them with stories of our adventure,
Myrna
Feb 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Have to admit, this book was a slow start. Once it picked up, it made for an entertaining read. Lots of vivid characters and softball with themes of family, guilt, and acceptance. This story was both heartbreaking and heartwarming. Could definitely see this being made into a movie.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
While I'm not sure I found this to be "uproarious" as the publisher summary claims (and I really hate a book being sold as funny when that isn't its strength), this debut novel is a unique look at addiction and isolation in small town Montana (where a trip to Missoula is life-changing with its mall and Chinese food.)

Rachel has returned home as part of her AA amends, back to the trailer park where she spent most of her teenage years wasted and having sex with all the volunteer firefighters, marri
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life.

I am still not sure how I feel about this book. I loved parts of it but thought other parts were a little too much. And that ending. I can't even. I was really hoping that everything would pull together for a feel good kind of ending. It wasn't a feel good ending. It was shocking and it broke my heart. I really have struggled with how to rate this book. I was really somewhere between a 3 and a 4 for most of the book. When I take the ending in
Mari
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Attention book clubs: Read THE FLOOD GIRLS!

Not only is Fifield's prose rich, inimitable and unflinching, the story offers countless angles for discussion on a variety of timely themes.

Set in a tiny town, where logging and the local tavern are the only businesses, The Flood Girls offers a fresh take on unlikely friendships, family dysfunction, the dark side of religion, and viciously ugly prejudice.

Fifield has hit a home run of a debut, and established himself as a voice to be reckoned with in c
Suzanne Mcintosh
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I got an advanced copy of this novel. I did not have high hopes and as I started to read through the first chapter, I was hooked. I want to stay up all night to finish it. And at the same time I don't want it to end.
One of my favorite books of the year. A little gritty. A little dirty. And a damn fine read
Melissa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever seen the movie To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar ? That's what reading The Flood Girls made me think of in some ways. It also reminds me of A League of their Own. It definitely carries the camp, flair, and female camaraderie of "To Wong Foo," however.
In any case, I loved this book and can't stop recommending it. Even after finishing, I still want everyone to read it so we can discuss! I especially adored Jake Bailey and wish someone like him had been around when I
Emily
Jan 24, 2016 rated it did not like it
According to the other reviews here, the fact that I absolutely hated this one puts me in the minority. But boy did I hate it. It took me about 100 pages to get into it, but even at that point I was on the fence about whether I liked most the characters or not. Every single one felt like a caricature. And then the ending happened, which I won't spoil, but it made me so incredibly mad, and made the whole book feel manipulative to me. This was my first 1 star review on GoodReads in a long time.
K.L. Romo
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How does one love brazen, foul-mouthed women who throw their weight around, beer-guzzling-in-the-outfield female softball players, and their burly female audience who love to throw punches? I don’t know, but I do – I love this book and all its quirky, faulty characters.

Welcome to Quinn, Montana: Population 956. A town owned by the headstrong, sassy women that have been there forever. Laverna Flood owns the only bar in town, The Dirty Shame, which serves beer and shots – never mixed drinks becaus
Karyn Niedert
I grew up in a small farming town in the Midwest, where people are rated more by their surname than their actions and being on the outside looking in is the standard for people who aren’t “from there”. Richard Fifield captured the very essence of the good and bad of existing in a small town, where the 4th of July parade is the epitome of excitement and women’s softball is taken as seriously as the Super Bowl.

Fifield’s novel is centered on Rachel, the black sheep who is returning to Quinn, Montan
Judithbledsoe
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love this book! It's my favorite book in years. Congratulations and thanks to the author, Richard Fifield. It's beautiful and perfect.
Olivia (The Candid Cover)
The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield is one of those books that reminds you of your favourite mixed tape. The writing is absolutely intoxicating and definitely stirs up some raw emotions. In a nutshell, the story is a work of art that captivates the reader with its cast of powerful characters, provides a sense of nostalgia and is all tied together with its richly woven themes.

There are so many wonderful characters in this story that readers will love, hate and empathize with. Told through alternat
Sandy
Nov 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Magnificent! Bravo! I just finished reading this novel and my eyes have now cleared and I can see my computer again. What an outstanding conclusion, one that spoke volumes for the people of Quinn. The town of Quinn, if you happened to drive into town, you’d be meet with some of the most outspoken, outlandish and unique individuals you have ever meet. It’s a small town where gossip is cheap, liquor brings the people together and your past haunts you.

Opening the novel, I found myself with Frank a
Cathe Olson
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was ok
The author has talent writer and some of the scenes were engrossing, but overall this book just seemed to be trying too hard. There were way too many characters who were all over the top and really didn't come off as believable. Many of them (like Bert, Jakes stepdad) were stereotypical and one dimensional. I felt like I was supposed to care about the characters but I never really did. I had to force myself just to finish this book.
Caryn
Nov 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
What a zany cast of characters you'll find in Richard Fifield's imaginary Quinn, Montana. They will have you cheering for some and hating some others. I could definitely see this being made into a film because the characters are so rich and fleshed out. Was a slow start for me but once it picked up was an entertaining read.
Colleen
Jan 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I loved Jake - we share a penchant for thrift stores. The characters were interesting, rowdy, and made me want to sit in a bar and walk around a trailer park. There was a lot going on in this book. Many issues were covered and if this is what a small town is like, life can be both very good and very bad.

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for a free copy for an honest review.
Nicole Vanek
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
For a week straight, The Flood Girls was the first thing I picked up in the morning and the last thing I put down; I read it while walking and driving (only at stoplights of course). Fifield's characters are incredibly well-developed, adorable and despicable; his portrayal of small town Western Montana is golden. To say I loved this book, have already recommended it to 30 people and will read it again and again would be an understatement.
Patricia Uttaro
Dec 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: magical, colorful
I haven't enjoyed an author's "voice" so much since I first read Christopher Moore and Tom Robbins. The characters here are as memorable as they get, and I was casting roles for the big-screen adaptation as I read. This absolutely must be a film! I will say, though, I was completely unprepared for the violent punch-to-the-gut ending.
Andrea
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I cannot say enough about this book. The writing and characters are simply amazing. I do not want to spoil this beautiful book but this of this book as fine literature combined with Sex and the City humor. Richard Fifield is an author to watch who will go super far. I was honored to get a review copy for an honest opinion. My honest opinion is that it is wonderful!

Buy the book!
Loretta Jones
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My new favorite book! The author takes you through all the emotions you forgot you had. This is a book you will always remember. Can't wait to share this book with others. I going to bring this to my book club.
Kia Liszak
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is the book about Montana and small towns that I have always wanted to read! Both refreshingly hilarious, heartwarming and necessary. This book is incredible and I absolutely loved it. I hope it becomes a movie.
Mrs. Reed
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley. Thanks!

This book definitely passed my test of craving to read it when I wasn't reading it. It has a LOT of characters, and at some point I just had to acknowledge that I wasn't going to remember who all of them were and move on. It was certainly a damaged cast of characters, but they were all human and beautiful in their flaws, and I loved spending time with them. They're kind of like an alcoholic, wild-west version of the Steel Magnolias. And they
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out

The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield is an engaging story of regrets and redemption set in small-town America.

After almost a decade's absence, Rachel Flood is back in Quinn, Montana (Population:956) to make amends for the devastation she wrought as a wild teen to an openly hostile collection of family, (ex) friends and enemies. After a week of scathing silence, pointed glares and outright threats, Rachel is on the verge of admitting defeat when her mother, Laverna Flood, the proprietor of one of Q
Chris  Carroll
I have to admit it took me several days to get into the story. I would start the book, get lost, put it down, and pick it up again several days later. I don’t usually have issues with that.

The good news is that once I started getting into the story and really focus on the complexity and the depth of the characters, I kept getting sucked into the book more and more.

I really like the character of Rachel and her resolve to face her fears and make amends. I love the character of Jake. He was a refre
Play Book Tag: The Flood Girls by Richard Fifield -- 4.5 stars + ♥ 3 19 Apr 13, 2016 07:05PM
  • Love 'N' Marriage
  • Meet Me in Venice: A Chinese Immigrant's Journey from the Far East to the Faraway West
  • The Virgin's Spy (Tudor Legacy, #2)
  • The Woman in the Movie Star Dress
  • The Portable Veblen
  • The Flying Circus
  • The City Baker's Guide to Country Living
  • Thanksgiving
Howdy! Thank you so much for checking out my Goodreads author page! My debut novel, The Flood Girls, will be released by Simon & Schuster on February 2, 2016. About me? Blond hair, blue eyes, six feet tall, Virgo, sober, vegetarian, animal rights activist. I won't add any more, because it feels like a dating profile! (Although I will seriously consider every marriage proposal that should come ...more
More about Richard Fifield

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand
  • The Wednesday Sisters
  • Allie and Bea
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Shanghai Girls (Shanghai Girls #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • All the Summer Girls
    $8.74 $1.99
  • The Girl From the Train
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Winds (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters, #3)
  • If I Loved You, I Would Tell You This
    $14.99 $1.99
“If you can't say something nice about somebody, you should probably set them on fire.” 4 likes