Start by marking “Overwatch (Logan West, #1)” as Want to Read:
Overwatch (Logan West, #1)

Overwatch

(Logan West #1)

When Logan West impulsively answers a dead man’s ringing phone, he triggers a global race against the clock to track down an unknown organization searching for an Iraqi artifact that is central to a planned attack in the Middle East—one that will draw the United States into a major conflict with Iran.

Logan, a former Marine officer, is quickly contracted as a “consultant” t

Published March 1st 2016 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about Overwatch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overwatch

Beth
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overwatch, which came recommended from The Real Book Spy, is not what I've come to expect for a debut novel. The plot was clear and uncluttered, the characters were, for the most part, likable, the book was well-paced, and the story had a satisfying ending. I thought that other debut novel (Joshua Hood's Clear by Fire) that had me hooked on the first page was an anomaly. Guess not.

The plot. Fast-paced from one "battle" to the next, with barely time to catch your breath, there isn't much down ti
Glen
Sep 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
When a PTSD inflicted marine wakes up from an alcohol induced blackout, he immediately gets into a knife fight.

That's the beginning of this entertaining but predictable novel with the usual private contractor villain. The action scenes are great, even if the plot isn't, and there are a few too many coincidences for good taste.

A good first novel.
Roy
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Solid action political thriller. The start was great. Awesome over the top action, flawed heroes, simple but fun quick plot and perfect amount of dialogue mixed with action. However after thr 1st 3rd it cuts to a story in Iraq with Logans team etc and from here it gets a little convoluted and slow. I found the 2 stories completely different in pace. I understand the Iraq story was providing relevant backstory information but I found it didnt have the same impact as the start ( didnt grip me). Th ...more
The Real Book Spy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
See this review and more at TheRealBookSpy.com

Vince Flynn, Brad Thor… Matthew Betley?

That’s the question fans are asking ever since Emily Bestler Books, an imprint of Atria Books at publishing powerhouse Simon & Schuster, announced the release of Overwatch, the debut novel from former Marine Matthew Betley.

While Flynn and Thor – both of whom have spent their careers with Atria/Emily Bestler Books – are household names, Betley is the new kid on the block with seemingly unlimited potential.

In
Adrienne
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I would have liked to rate it 4.5 stars. Wonderful, superb, could easily be made into a movie, and a great read. I found the plot plausible ( of course a real patriot would not think that way but I could easily see how a misguided patriot would) and with very real characters. I could follow the action scenes. I will now read more of Matthew Bentley's books.
Alan
Jun 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done! Betley is a new force in the thriller genre. I'll look forward to reading other books by this author.
Kronos Ananthsimha
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Overwatch is one of the most original, interesting, action-packed debuts of this decade that has spot-on authenticity in every aspect. Only a few can pull off a plot that’s as emotional and explosive as this.

Betley has actually lived the life of a Marine officer and knows exactly what he is writing about. His technical and operational knowledge shows greatly throughout the book.

The past and the present collide in a high-stakes plot that seems all too plausible. Ghosts from the war in Iraq are sh
Peter Jones
Mar 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I had high hopes for Overwatch by Matthew Betley. They were not realised. Compared to many great thrillers I have read recently, this paled in comparison, and if it could have, should have slunk away its tail between its legs.

While I am quite able to stretch my imagination when required, this was ridiculous. The plot required me to suspend all belief in reality and plausibility.

Yes there is plenty of action, but it was not enough to carry me through, and in the end I abandoned this read. I won't
Speesh
Aug 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: terrorism, crime
A thoroughly enjoyable, very decently written book which does what a Thriller is supposed to do - thrill. There's tension, excitement, 'brothers in arms' and more than a few surprises. It's a first book from Matthew Bentley, and has already been optioned for a film, and you can see why. Though I don't fully buy into the usual 'evil genius with never-ending supply of hired help ready to die for them' idea that you always see in films like this will probably be. You know, think James Bond. Where, ...more
Slaven Tomasi
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was given the privilege of getting an advance copy of Over Watch, and I could not put it down. If you love thrillers, this book is for you! If you've served in the Military and deployed to Iraq, this book is for you! If you're a Marine like me, this book is definitely for you! Honestly, any thriller fan will appreciate the fast paced, non-stop action this debut thriller offers. But for us Marines who have spent time in the sand box, this book speaks to you. Logan West is formidable and strong ...more
D.F. Haley
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Continuous action. Lots of battles between highly trained soldiers. super-heroic protagonist, overcoming too many consecutive obstacles. I spent the final third of the book hoping it would end, but no, yet another round of challenges keeps popping up. Not interested in reading the sequel.
Larry
Matthew Betley's Overwatch introduces us to two new players in the world of the Mich Rapp's and Scot Harvath's patriotic retired military heroes. Okay, Harvath was never military. Marine Captain Logan West and his faithful Gunny John Quick are now here to save the day.

While these will never be literary classics if you enjoy reading Flynn/Mills and Thor then you should enjoy Betley's Logan West series. I rated it a 3 but on a personal level it really satisfies my book thirst for this type of book
Liz
Jul 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
I read this book based on a recommendation from the Real Book Spy. I'm always looking for new authors in the spy genre and like to support up and comers! While I liked the plot the banter often got campy and distracted me from the seriousness of the plot. As this is a first outing I'd be interested to watch the author grow. I'll read Oath if Honor next and hopefully he'll tone down the banter and focus more on the plot.
Susana789
Oct 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Dynamické, akčné, dve príbehové roviny sa prelínajú a nakoniec spoja, ale bolo to zvládnuté celkom OK. Cieľom knihy bolo primerane zabaviť, misiu ako čitateľ hodnotím pozitívne.
Jim Cerone The Perfect Host DJ MC
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pleasure
Very solid debut. A few minor quibbles (some hackneyed dialogue) but Betley seems ready to fill the void left by Vince Flynn.
Dee Haddrill
In his debut novel, Matthew Betley has written an action-packed thriller featuring Logan West. A flawed and broken character, Logan has to fight his own demons before he can fight the demons that attack the world, and he does so in splendid fashion. I look forward to reading more by this author.
Luke Walker
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overwatch is the first Matthew Betley book I have read. Logan West is a great character and the book keeps up a good pace similar to books by Flynn and Thor. I recommend this book!
Susan
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Logan West is my new fav action character. This book was a terrific thriller.
Frank Rosch
If only

If only the author had stayed with his plot! It started out well but then fell to pieces when he kept returning to the past. Then there were longer and longer periods in the past! Thus we were lost, not knowing if we were reading a thriller or a history book.

I could not finish it due to its lack of story! Also, the author chose to try to "authenticate" his work but punctuating events with vulgar language.
Chris (Norseman) Miller
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I heard about Overwatch last fall from Ryan Steck who runs both "Ryan the Rappologist" and @therealbookspy on Twitter. He said that Betley was going to be an author with a lot of headwind that's going to jump in on the thriller genre and make a and for himself! He nailed it right on the head, from the first few pages to the last few it is a non stop fast action thrill fest!

Betley does a great job of detailing the characters to allow you to get a great idea and feeling of they are pretty easily.
Kimberly Chavez
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy reading spy thrillers from authors like Brad Thor and Vince Flynn, then you need to pick up Matthew Betley's Overwatch. It's a phenomenal debut thriller! I especially enjoyed reading the fight scenes from multiple perspectives, including both the good and bad guys. You'll be able to see the action unfold from each participant's viewpoint, which really brings it all to life in your imagination.

With a frightening plot, and non-stop action from start to finish, this is one you won't be
Stuart Ashenbrenner
Jun 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Yes, you saw that correctly. It took me less than 48 hours to finish this book. It's tough to pick up an author's debut novel. Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I expect the worst. I should've been slapped for that thought. Incredibly riveting, and from the opening of the book, you're hooked. I felt like I was sitting in the middle of a Thor or Flynn novel. The only disappointment - the next one isn't out for another year. Great job and fantastic read!
Ryan Blanck
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Overwatch is an really good thriller novel. His debut novel of action, passion, friendship, courage, and reality. Clive Cussler says "Overwatch is a brilliantly conceived thriller that surges from the first chapter through mounting deception to a powerful conclusion. Christoper Reich says "Gripping, Fast-paced, and frighteningly real." Very Good Book so far. Mixture of military and terrorism.
Michael
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok story.

I can say this was an ok story, however I found many parts cliche and much of the dialog very basic and rough. At the half way point I almost put it down, but decided to push through. I hate to half read books. Nevertheless, it was pretty consistent to the end.
Phillip III
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am definitely on a kick. Thanks to the likes of Vince Flynn. While I have always loved crime novels, only recently have I started reading about espionage, and military-thrillers. My latest read is Matthew Betley's debut, OVERWATCH.

The overall plot is somewhat simple. I like that. There is an objective, and the Betley just spends nearly four-hundred pages going at it full head-on! The main character is former marine Logan West. Since his time after the war he's let his life somewhat crumble. Ma
Ben
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
" Overwatch" is of the special ops thriller genre. The emphasis here on the word thriller. Non stop action literally from beginning to end as the book begins with the hero, Logan West being attacked in his home by an assassin. Fight. Smash. Kill. This continues until the end with bullets flying, cars crashing and bad guys meeting violent death in every way imaginable.
The reason for all this is an Iraqi flag one of West's fellow Marines had captured after a particularly nasty stealth mission dur
Makayla Cullinan
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Ever think that a deadly, longlasting, bloody war could start over a flag? Well don’t think it’s impossible. It’s one of the most interesting war creators probably known, but if you read Overwatch by Matthew Betley, you’ll understand that this isn’t just any ordinary flag.
Taken in as a trophy, after a mass killing of Logan West and Gunny Quick’s team over in Iraq many years ago, and hung on Quick’s wall to never forget his brothers. This cursed flag being the leading cause to multiple deaths o
Todd Simpson
Apr 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simply Superb. This was such an easy and enjoyable book to read. I started out by reading Matthew Betley’s second and third book (which I absolutely loved), before reading this first book in the series, and I’m so glad I’ve now read ‘Overwatch’ to see where Logan West came from. I really enjoyed how this story is constructed, and the way we are taken back to Logan’s days in Iraq. I know how much I’m enjoying a book when I need to stop reading it for work and life’s other interruptions, and then ...more
Will
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
After reading Betley's second book, Oath of Honor, this was a bit of a letdown. It was plain to see that Overwatch was his first book, as it seemed less polished and a bit more cliched in parts. That's not to say that it wasn't interesting. It established a few interesting characters, such as Logan West, a recovering alcoholic, and his close war buddy, John Quick.

However, we really don't learn much about Quick or any of the other secondary characters in the book. And West's alcoholism is - by a
Caspette
Aug 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
This just wasn't for me. While I quite like ridiculous, action, adventure, thriller type books normally, I found myself unable to get onboard with this story. I was rolling my eyes way to much in the first few chapters for my liking.

Also there were a few off-putting random narration paragraphs in there which I didn't get. One in particular was when the two baddies were talking about an operation and saying that thankfully the goodies didn't know why they wanted the object they were after, when
  • Clear by Fire (Search and Destroy, #1)
  • Ice Station Nautilus (Trident Deception, #3)
  • Gut Instinct (Pike Logan #3.5)
  • First Strike (Dewey Andreas, #6)
  • Night of the Cobra (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #8)
  • Abyss Deep (Star Corpsman, #2)
  • Target America (Sniper Elite, #2)
  • The Athens Solution (Scot Harvath #15.5)
  • A Spy Came Home (Mac Ambrose, #1)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Nothing Short of Dying (Clyde Barr, #1)
  • 7 Grams of Lead
  • A Devil Is Waiting (Sean Dillon #19)
Matthew Betley grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio, which he considers home after his family moved there from New Jersey, where he was born and which also explains his affinity for the New York Yankees. He attended St. Xavier High School and then Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, where he graduated with a B.A. in psychology and minors in political science and sociology. He also spent the first semester of ...more

Logan West (4 books)
  • Oath of Honor (Logan West #2)
  • Field of Valor (Logan West, #3)
  • Rules of War (Logan West #4)