Start by marking “Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love and Brunch” as Want to Read:
Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love and Brunch

Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love and Brunch

From a breakout storytelling star at The Moth, a real-life romantic comedy about a guy and a girl—and twenty-nine other girls: a memoir about an unexpected break-up, one self-imposed year of being single, and how a “nice guy” survived dating in the twenty-first century.

Matteson Perry is a Nice Guy. He remembers birthdays, politely averts his eyes on the subway, and enjoys
Published May 24th 2016 by Scribner

To ask other readers questions about Available, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Available

Start your review of Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love and Brunch
Esil
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3 1/2 stars. Woah! Well past my 30s and married for close to 30 years, I am so much not the target audience for Available. I'm not sure who is. But it was an interesting peek into the dating world of 30somethings. Matteson Perry recounts a year of his life following a bad break up in which he set out to date without commitment, all while determined to be a "nice guy" and honest about his intentions. In the end, he finds "the one" (this is not a spoiler because he starts the book by thanking his ...more
Carrie
Jan 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Matteson Perry is what you'd refer to as a nice guy. Always trying to treat a lady right and had always been in committed relationships being a serial monogamist. But when the girl he thought would be his one and only dumps him he decides it's time to change things up and try casual dating. His Plan: 1. Be single for a year. 2. Date a lot of women. 3. Hurt no one’s feelings.

Available is a memoir written of Matteson Perry's experience with dating and relationships. It's often incredibly funny whi
Theresa Alan
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everyone who has ever done the online dating thing has stories to tell. The ones that are worth recounting are inevitably horrible dates with crazy people, although the truth is that most online dates are just like job interviews except you focus on personal stuff and you might occasionally be asked about favorite sex positions, which is atypical of the job interviews I’ve been on.

In Available, Matteson Perry takes a year off from serial monogamy, hoping to date and have sex with as many women
Artemiz
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, 2016
Matteson Perry's book Available is an wonderful book!
Why did I like the book? Be course it was entertaining and same time helping. It's not easy to be single and it's interesting to read about other people experience.

Matteson has always been a bits shy when it comes to woman. He didn't have girlfriend in high school, his first girlfriend he met in college orientation week and they stayed together through college. After school they went their different ways and shortly Matteson found a new girl.
Petra
Jan 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After having been dumped by his long-term girlfriend, Matteson Perry decides to take a year off from being in a serious relationship. Instead, he wants to enjoy casual dating, have fun and have sex without hurting anybody's feelings. Matteson has been a really nice guy all his life, always a bit shy with females but also very inexperienced at not being in a serious relationship. Over the course of the year, he learns a lot about himself, about dating, about friendships and relationships and abou ...more
Denise
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A real love story that includes all the heartbreaks and experiences leading up to it in a guy's point-of-view. Humorous and fun!
Julie Cameron
Jun 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I listened to this book, narrated by the author, and I loved it. I'll be honest, there were moments when I wanted to reach through the pages and slap him senseless for being a jerk, but then he would come to this same realization on his own, and I'd think, "Okay, he truly is a nice guy." As a not-so-thirty-something reader, I found his thirty-something experiences laugh-out-loud hilarious -- yes, people looked at me suspiciously during those outbursts, but I'd just point to the noise-cancelling ...more
Raquel
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Totally flew through this book. Has literally nothing to do with my life right now (i'm not a guy in my early 30s dating a series of women) but has such a funny, reflective, self-effacing narrator, it's easy to get drawn in. One of the quotes on the back likens it to a bill Bryson style dating book, which I totally agree with. It ends wonderfully, but at that point you're enjoying the writing so much you want to go, "OK, so the story's over, but just keep talking about something else and I'll re ...more
Carolyn
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
The writing is competent and easy to read, but the narrative is cringe-worthy. A self-professed 'nice guy' tries to hook up with as many women as possible, while making apologies for it and examining his behaviour and motives under the current liberal ideology. No thanks.
Lady Heather

"A copy of this book has been provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review"
Rikki Ades
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cute book. Good beach read.
Victor
Sep 07, 2016 rated it liked it
He dates and has sex with a bunch of girls, and then he settles down and has sex with just one girl.
Jenny Jo Weir
Loved it! Funny, cute, sweet, endearing, honest, brutal, blunt, you name it. I could say a plethora of awesome things about this book but instead I’ll simply say this: It’s all about the delivery and this man delivers!!! Highly recommend, check it out.
Jennifer Lee
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing, i was laughing from the dedication to the last line. I loved the sarcasm and sense of humor throughout the book. Laura is an amazing woman for being supportive of this book. I’m so happy he found his happily ever after. Even as a woman there are SO many things that i can relate to and I’ve realized that i need to make brunch dates a thing lol
Heidi Mastrogiovanni
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a charming, sweet, very funny book. I enjoyed it very much.
Kim
May 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Matteson Perry describes his book, Available: A Memoir of Heartbreaks, Hookups, Love, and Brunch, as what Eat Pray Love would be if it had been written by a man. A serial monogamist through his twenties, Perry vows to take a year off from relationships to date casually after having his heart broken by a woman he calls his manic pixie dream girl.

He goes on a bunch of dates and has a fair bit of sex, learning about himself and developing insights on love and relationships along the way. Each woma
Tracy
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, kindle
ARC from net galley.

After the break up of a long term relationship, Matteson Perry decides to take a year off from serious dating and try to only date and have sex in a non-serious way. This involves one night stands, casual sex, friends-with-benefits arrangements and a week at Burning Man (which, much to no one's surprise, seems like my thing at all--sleeping outside for a week, tons of drugs and random people--ugh).

One thing I gathered from this book is that confidence is almost everything wh
Andrea
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, uno2016

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Matteson Perry's memoir of his dating/love experiences. It felt very fresh to hear this from a young man's perspective as I have read similar things in both fiction and non-fiction by female authors. I am thankful that he decided to share this personal journey with us, and I wonder if while he was on it did he know that he was going to write a book about it later? Was he taking detai
Alan Peralta
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A modern male perspective on dating not written by a PUA douchebag!

One of the funniest books I have read recently. Light, witty, genuine and utterly amusing, Perry's journey from a nice guy to a man-slut, and back again to a nice guy with a new perspective on dating and relationships, it's fantastically entertaining. Perry's writing style is refreshing; it reads like something a friend will blog about, interjected with a lot of comically written annotations and detours. How this book talks about
Caitlin
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobooks
What a letdown! I'd loved his Modern Love essay, and resulting installment in the podcast series. How dumb of me to assume his book, touted on said podcast, would maintain the same charm. Spoiler alert - it does not.

His book started with the essay from the podcast that lured me in the first place. So far so good - but then it got realllly bad. Subsequent chapters lose any trace of a narrative arc and our narrator loses any trace of the hapless nice guy he fancies himself to be. Instead we're le
Marshall Seligmann
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"A promotional copy of this book was provided to me in a GoodReads giveaway."

This was a great book about the ins-and-outs of modern dating life in Los Angeles. The author takes us through his hilarious transition from too-nice-guy who gets his heart broken into an experienced and mature adult capable of seeking out and sustaining a meaningful and lasting relationship, with plenty of brunch along the way. It's humorous, light-hearted, and by reading through the author's own ups-and-downs one can
Geoff Young
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a super fast read. The stories are entertaining and work on multiple levels. On the surface there's a guy who just wants to get laid. A little deeper there's that same guy trying to get his act together and find a meaningful relationship.

The character arc feels real. The author's self-awareness and honesty in telling tales that don't paint him in the most flattering light endear him in a way that wouldn't work if he were less flawed. Despite his tortuous (and often torturous) path and th
Meg
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Nope. Author can state he is a "nice guy" until the world ends, but he is not. This book just makes me terrified for my college aged daughter as she has already encountered several of these type of f-boys.
Ken
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great memoir of a tough subject. Any time someone writes a memoir about their dating/hook up experiences, it runs the risk of coming across as douchey. Luckily, right when it comes up to that line, it shifts off to self deprecating and sensitive. The author is a storyteller for The Moth, so that's the kind of storyteller pedigree that you'll get.

I received this book for free through Goodreads Giveaways.
Val
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*I won this in a Goodreads giveaway* Brilliantly funny! Matteson Perry is a nice guy, in a slutty sort of way. Rude, raunchy, riotous honesty about becoming Sleazy Guy, and then trying to reset the sleaze meter back to Nice Guy, after he finally really and truly meets "The One". The only thing I didn't like about this book is that it finally had to end. I hope Mr. Perry sees fit to continue putting his storytelling talents between the covers of books!
ABookwormWithWine
Aug 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Really liked this book. I had actually never heard of Matteson Perry before so I had to Google him... I'm always a fan of books by people in comedy and this book was no exception. The book made me laugh, and he really is a great writer. It also doesn't hurt that he's from Denver where I'm currently living! I also ended up looking up his wife during the reading of this book. She works at Apple and I'm jealous.
Bonnie
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Often amusing look into the psyche of a single man in the modern dating world. Although Perry veers dangerously close to the 'douchebag' territory, his self-deprecating wit juuuust manages to save him from being insufferable. I do feel badly for some of the women he dated though, especially the few who were looking for something more from him.

Still, Perry is a good storyteller, and this is an easy read, as long as you try to not be too judgmental.
Kenzie Townsend
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
He's kind of a whiny bitch. I'm kind of jealous at all the games he learned to play to get all these dates. Then, I realized he has a lot more problems pretending to be the boyfriend than following through with one women. It's sad but is a great example of the hook up culture that still remains. He tells a pretty good story and at times it's, just weird. Hard to tell if it's a straight couple or two women. Either way I stayed reading until the ending hoping for, I'm unsure...clarity.
Laurie
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
What can I say about this book? It was great! I laughed so much sometimes that it hurt! The author and his friends seem to have had quite the adventures during the authors Dating Saga..lol I really enjoyed this book and as long as a little consensual sex between adults isn't going to upset your apple cart I highly recommend reading it!
Allison
Jul 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Rx
  • Unwifeable: A Memoir
  • ニセコイ 15 [Fake Love 15] (Nisekoi, #15)
  • Sisters' Entrance
  • 20 Gifts of Gratitude: A Guide to Gratefulness
  • Back on Top: Confessions of a High-Class Escort
  • Mother. Wife. Sister. Human. Warrior. Falcon. Yardstick. Turban. Cabbage.
  • The Big Tilt
  • We Have Always Been Here: A Queer Muslim Memoir
  • The Helen One Hundred: 100 Dates in less than a year
  • The Accidental Billionaires: The Founding of Facebook, a Tale of Sex, Money, Genius, and Betrayal
  • Leading With Emotional Courage: How to Have Hard Conversations, Create Accountability, And Inspire Action On Your Most Important Work
  • Tough: 101 Australian Gangsters: A Crime Companion
  • Court in the Middle
  • Bringing Down the House: The Inside Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions
  • Gangland Queensland
  • Why Won’t You Apologize?: Healing Big Betrayals and Everyday Hurts
  • The Content Trap
Matteson Perry is a Colorado native now living in Los Angeles where he works as a writer and performer. His work can been seen in The New York Times, McSweeney's, and on The Moth Radio Hour on NPR. He's a two time Moth Grandslam winner and hosts the MothSlam in Los Angeles. His first book, "Available: A Memoir of Heartbreak, Hookups, Love, and Brunch" will be published by Scribner in May 2016.