Start by marking “The Road to Hell (Multiverse, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Road to Hell (Multiverse, #3)

The Road to Hell

(Multiverse #3)

Entry #3 in the popular Hell's Gate series by 28 times New York Times best-selling author David Weber and Joelle Presby.

The war between magically-gifted Arcana and psionically talented Sharona continues to rage. The dragon-borne Arcanan assault across five universes has been halted at Fort Salby by a desperate defense, but at atrocious cost. One of those costs was the life
Published March 1st 2016 by Baen (first published February 16th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Road to Hell, please sign up.
Erdem Yiğitolu "ı hope so. It doesn't look finished at all but there is nothing suggesting a new book for the series. I really do want to finish the story.

Dan
Sep 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
I waited years for another book in this awesome series. It was so worth the wait. What a great read!
Leons1701
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
We waited 10 years for this? Weber's weaknesses as an author are on full display here, too much infodumping, not enough actually moving the plot, ridiculously over done foreshadowing, too many minor characters nobody gives a damn about but we're getting a full description of them anyhow (this may be one of the few times I agree with the common complaint about names) and surprised declarations of how important something is that will never be mentioned again in this book. I suppose it could count ...more
Liviu
Finished my 2nd read of the novel so I will add a few thoughts; first for an overview of the series, here is my review of Hell's gate:

- Despite the 8 year hiatus and a change of co-author, the novel (RTH for short) fits naturally and smoothly in the series, starting where HHNF (book 2 Hell Hath No Fury) ends and carrying the story to a good stopping point, not unlike the one of HG (first book Hell's gate) except that now it is from the opposite side; some
M.L.
I'm glad the story picks up and things progress more rapidly. However, like all Weber books, there are certain chapters that deal with such useless minutae and minor logistical concerns that I was forced to skimmed over them. Another thing that disappointed me in this book is that the political opposition of both sides are unambiguously portrayed as evil. Some nuance would have been better.
Michael
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the third book in the Hell's Gate series by David Weber. This one is also co-written by Joelle Presby. It has been a long wait for this book as the first two were released in 2008. This book is what I would call Science Fiction/Fantasy. It has two different races of humans from two different universe's traveling from one universe to the next by the way of naturally occurring portals. One group, the Sharonians, have steam power and a large percent of their people have ,"Talents", which am ...more
James
May 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
I like the magic versus technology theme but the heroes and villains are so black and white. It also ends on a cliffhanger which given the last book was written nine years ago, is annoying. You must read the previous books, it cannot be read as a standalone.
Kevin Brown
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
The largest portion of this novel deals with the logistics of crossing large swaths of land. Which unfortunately detracts from the story rather than building up the universe. Those large sections drag the narrative down in an otherwise good story.
MAB  LongBeach
The continuation of the Hell's Gate series begun in 2006 by Weber and Linda Evans. After two books, the series seemed to have been abandoned; now, nine years later, it continues with a different coauthor, Joelle Presby.

Multiple almost-identical universes are connected by a series of portals connecting disparate spots on the planets. Both the Sharonans and the Arcanans have been exploring their nearby universes for hundreds of years. When they meet, a bitter war breaks out, fueled by misunderstan
Tim
Oct 03, 2016 rated it liked it
I really like David Weber and have read almost all of his books. This book could have used some thinning, maybe up to a third of the book. So many of the words did so little to move the story forward. I finished the book (all 600+ hard cover pages of it) but it was a real slogging read. Otherwise it would have been a 4 star review.
Jonathan Scotese
I'm not a fan of David Webers writing style. I find it too slow and with details other people clearly appreciate, but which just gets in the way of the meat of the story. I like his ideas, and have been waiting for a conclusion to this series for a while. This isn't it, but it looks like the ball is rolling again.

Joe Jungers
Hoping to see the 4th tale at some point.
Alex
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The continuing tale of these two distinct empires examines how fear leads to war even when the wiser course may be peace. A few startlingly well done characters really bring this tale to the fore
Grant
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Magic vs. psychic powers (plus steam power) continues. The characters remain compelling, and the saga clearly isn't over.
Scott Holstad
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wow, what an awesome book! It was so worth the wait. The Road to Hell is the third book in the Multiverse series, a series that began in 2006 by David Weber and Linda Evans. The next book was published in 2008, I believe, and stopped. Word got out that Weber’s collaborator’s health was poor, so the series was put on hold indefinitely. People lost hope for a new entry in the series, which would have been a disappointment because the first two books were so compelling. And now, as of March 1st of ...more
William Bentrim
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Road to Hell by David Weber and Joelle Presby

This is book three of the Multiverse series, Book two which I reviewed back in 2010 was Hell Hath No Fury by David Weber and Linda Evans. Evan’s and Weber’s portrayal of two unique civilizations on a road to conflict progressed to the actual conflict itself. This book deals with the aftermath of the initial confrontation. Arcana base magic technology challenges Sharona’s psychic talents and their science based technology. The multi-universal aspec
Brandon Bourn
Mar 25, 2016 rated it liked it
What happens when a civilization based on telepathy encounters one based on Magic? This fascinating plot line took a pretty serious hit when Linda Evans dropped out, but I still recommend it for those who have fallen for the first two books in the series. You can actually SEE the new author Joelle Presby getting better at writing as the book progresses. The book starts out very pedantic, and falls short in character development as well as utilizing definitions of "good & evil" that are woefu ...more
Nicole Luiken
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I've been waiting a long time for the third book in this series; I was a bit worried I would have forgotten too much of books one and two, but between reminders in the text and the large glossary at the back, I was fine.

I still really enjoy the premise behind these books: two worlds who are exploring parallel universe chains bump into each other and end up at war. One world uses dragons, griffins, unicorns and magic-based technology, the other is steam-powered but the brilliant addition of psyc
Dennis Key
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining but not the end!

I have never read a David Weber book that wasn't entertaining. Some go much beyond that. I'm glad he didn't use the hard to read name analogs of the Safehold universe in this one. I would suggest placing the appendix at the beginning of each book in future editions in a format easily printed out to use as a reference as the reader progresses.
This can't possibly be the end of this series. Way too many loose ends lying around! I look forward to the next installments.
Nathan
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Long wait for an enjoyable read with multiple developed worlds and cultures. Although there are definitely slow moments within the story as we are brought within the story. The world building is fantastic with interesting cultures and lore. The Sharonan and Arcanan civilizations are believable and well thought out in comparison to our own. The glossary and descriptions in the story allow for strong mental visualizations of those universes. Characters are well thought out with dynamic goals and m ...more
Bill
Jul 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Being a fan of the Honorverse and Safehold, the Multiverse feels like home. All three books in this series are fantastic and leaves one desperately needing more. Weber does collaborations well (see stuff with Flint, Zahn, Ringo, Evans, and now Presby) and I hope to read more of Presby's work in the future (I understand that she has a short story underway for the next Worlds of Honor anthology).
Jeffery Brooks
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great continuation to a powerful story

I re-read the 1st two books prior to starting RtH, and did not feel any let-down or change in the structure or tone of this book. There was a lot more bouncing around between the different universes which could have been helped by including the name of the Universe at the start of the chapter along with the dates. I cannot wait to see how this all works out.
Gail Morris
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is well worth the wait; book 3 turns things around in the war between the universes... things that had been going well for one side start going badly, and things for the underdogs start going better.
Details of the types of differences between the universes are explained in more areas and the castes of people are also better explained and shown.
Horrible things happen but don't necessarily turn out the way the instigators plan them to go; in both worlds.
Brian
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Well, the book ended in a very good way, and the addition of some other characters make the story more interesting indeed. I can't say the ending was a huge cliff hanger, but it did get me wishing the 4th book to this series was finished so I can pick up the story. This series was promised 4 books, and if the series does well, more to follow.

Robin Halvorson
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I had a hard time getting started on this book but one I did it was excellent. The only problem is that David Weber has slowed down in his writing and this book has been years after the last book of the series. Heaven only knows when the next book in the story will come.
Jeff
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Third book in series after many years between books. I had trouble keeping the Army officers on one side of the conflict straight in my mind. Names too similar, all with honorific "chan". To be fair, it really wasn't necessary to keep them all straight.
Dale (Aus)
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story, the last third being very good. I must say that I find the character conversations on some areas just tiresome and wish the author could just shorten these and make them a little more to the point.
mgreenej167
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not my cup of tea. First two chapters are a painful combo or fantasy SF and has to read/pronounce names. Just too much work...while I have enjoyed other Weber books as well as other SF, I will skip this series...
James Hein
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
This was a long book but did tidy up many of the threads from the first two books.

I marked it down a little because there were huge pieces of text that seemed to be just dropped in to make the book bigger.
Ian Verhappen
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
As with longer series one of them needs to "bridge the gaps" and this is that book for this series. Lots of background, logistics, and politics with kitty of the typical action of a Weber book
Sean Smock
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good, fun read. There weren't any real surprises in the book, assuming that you've read the previous ones, but it's overall a solid entry into the series.

• Extremis (Starfire, #6)
  • Portal (Boundary,#3)
  • Kris Longknife's Replacement: Admiral Santiago on Alwa Station (Kris Longknife, #14.5)
  • Judgment at Verdant Court (World of Prime #3)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)
  • Cobra Outlaw (Cobra Rebellion #2)
  • A State of Disobedience
  • Stands a Shadow (The Heart of the World, #2)
  • Better to Beg Forgiveness ( Freehold: Ripple Creek, #1, Freehold, #3)
David Mark Weber is an American science fiction and fantasy author. He was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1952.

Many of his stories have military, particularly naval, themes, and fit into the military science fiction genre. He frequently places female leading characters in what have been traditionally male roles.

One of his most popular and enduring characters is Honor Harrington whose alliterated name

Multiverse (3 books)
  • Hell's Gate (Multiverse, #1)
  • Hell Hath No Fury (Multiverse, #2)