Start by marking “Love Her Madly” as Want to Read:
Love Her Madly

Love Her Madly

If you loved Luckiest Girl Alive and The Girl on the Train, you’ll devour this stunning debut novel about an intense best friendship between two college girls which leads to the abrupt disappearance—and presumed death—of one and the survival of the other, who reveals the twists and turns of their relationship seven years later.

Glo never thought she’d become best friends wi
Published August 16th 2016 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Love Her Madly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Love Her Madly

CL
Oct 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Best friends in college whose friendship shapes their relationship and those of the relationships for the rest of their lives. A love triangle gone wrong. An event in their past comes back to haunt Glo. I would like to thank the Publisher and Net Galley for the chance to read this ARC.
Amy
Nov 06, 2016 rated it liked it
Bren
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mystery fans, fans of complicated female friendships.
Christine (Shh Moms Reading)
This was an interesting read by debut author M. Elizabeth Lee. The blurb caught my attention and I was very excited to dive into reading.

Cyn and Glo are the best of friends but are complete opposites. What Glo gets from her friendship with Cyn is excitement and adventure. For me, underneath Cyn's seemingly fun exterior is someone I am not sure I ever completely trusted.

Things happen in their relationship that will forever change them and I enjoyed not only the dual POVs but the past and present
Zara
Well, that was disappointing. The first half of the book was great. I mean we had Glo and Cyn sharing a guy (Raj) and what kinda love triangle is this. In my short life, I've never heard of a thing like this. They talked and they sort of came to an agreement (the sharing thing). Of course, that doesn't stop Glo (our protagonist) from getting jealous. Honestly, the first half of the book consists mostly of them trying drugs and getting high.

I don't even want to talk about the second half of the b
Shannon (Mrsreadsbooks)
3.5 stars. This book is divided into two parts; part 1 is "What Happened Before" and then part 2 is "What Happened After" and jumps forward 7 years. The synopsis immediately interested me, as it reminded me of similar plot lines where girls go missing abroad. The sharing of the boyfriend part did sound a bit not my style, but I figured it would set up the plot for a good thriller. And I was correct on that. I really enjoyed the characters and found both Glo and Cyn to be both interesting and rel ...more
Jen
Aug 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Love Her Madly had an amazing synopsis that drew me in immediately. I loved the premise of the book and the mystery element.

The book started off a little slow, but once I got into it, I was hooked. I liked different POVs but felt one was missing and absolutely needed.

Once I got further in the book, I was anxiously waiting to find out what had happened to Cyn and why both Raj and Glo had never heard from her. Where did she go? What was she up to? What happened to her?

Unfortunately, there were way
Erin
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Though seven years have passed since that night, my mind retains a perfect image of Cyn as she fell away from me into the churning black water. Only a moment before, we'd been together, her thin hand in mine as we raced into the dark ocean, fleeing the strange men who had charged out of the jungle and onto our beach. I didn't know them. I only knew that we were two young women alone in the night, messed up beyond reason on mushrooms and rum

Thus begins the tale of two college girls who were roo
Janine
Jul 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Thanks to NetGalley for ARC of this novel.

The fact that this book’s description gave me the heads up that it was a thriller along the lines of Gone Girl (most mystery genre now can’t help, but be compared) and Reconstructing Amelia and the actual plot sounded as though it was a fresh and new storyline, I thought I’d like to get the chance to read and see for myself.

The main storyline began with the odd, but still real friendship between Glo, a young college student, who just transferred to the c
Katie Carman-Lehach
Jan 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a really enjoyable page turner of a book that feels like it could've been ripped right out of the headlines ala Natalee Holloway, etc. I definitely didn't predict where this book would go, and I really enjoyed the journey of getting to know the two leading characters, Glo and Cyn, who are really relatable, as well as their dreamy crush Raj who brings a real sense of drama into the situtaion.

Each scene is written vividly, and the the supporting characters are all richly developed too. It
KC
Oct 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I would like to thank NetGalley, Atria Books, and M. Elizabeth Lee for the advanced digital copy in exchange for an honest review. I missed to achieve date on this book but then was granted "my wish" and received a copy. I loved the synopsis of this story but unfortunately that was all I loved. Friends, lovers, coeds, and drama. Ugh- Not for me.. There were many points of view but not enough cohesion, I was left feeling lost and wanting more. There were too many loose ends and much of the plot w ...more
Anita
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick read for me. Well written in many ways. Descriptive scenes and dialogue but somewhere the mystery of Cyn just became stale and I didn't care. I wanted Gloria to stand up for herself and for Raj to be more honest. A group of friends stifled by lies.
An ok book but one I believe will be forgettable.
Christy LoveOfBooks

I was mostly bored with this book, but at the same time couldn’t quit reading.
Natasha
Aug 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: incomplete
I can't believe I actually had my library waste time getting this book from another city. It stinks and there were several offensive comments made.

Right from the start I didn't like Glo talking to herself in the middle of every other sentence. The story was already being told in first person, so I don't see how that was necessary. Third person would have been better in my opinion.

I didn't like how envious Glo was of pretty blond girls and how she felt Cyn rendered her and various other females
Susanne  Strong
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Best Girlfriends. A Love Triangle. And a Mystery. Sounds like the potential for an interesting read, right? Unfortunately “Love Her Madly” by M. Elizabeth Lee, started out strong, but fell flat halfway through.

Glo and Cyn meet in College and become fast friends. Though opposites, they have the best time together and balance each other out perfectly. Everything is smooth sailing until they both fall for the same guy. Leave it to Cyn to come up with the most brilliant plan: they’ll share him (and
Abby Jean
Feb 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017
long stretches of dull cliched character development punctuated by brief periods of wildly implausible action. yawn.
Rebecca Martinez
Jun 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! The relationships were offbeat, but also described in such a way to be believable. In particular, I enjoyed the dynamic of Cyn & Glo's relationship and how it was all-encompassing for Glo and as we learn through the story - maybe not for Cyn (or maybe it was?).

It has an interesting storyline and surprises that kept me reading one more chapter. Great read, highly recommend!

Pauline
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-books
I will echo what I've seen a few other reviewers say on here: the first half of the book, the "setup," so to speak, was great. It kept me engaged and interested. The second half of the book, set in the present, was much more boring and cliche. All the character development from the first half seemed to give way in favor of "thrill." Still, it was generally a quick and enjoyable read, even if the second half didn't live up to the first half's promise.
Kmt1944
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Strange story about the hold one sick person can have over others. Weird, unhealthy relationships, drugs, and the disappearance of one of the main characters all take place in the first half of the book. Kept reading out of curiosity as to how it would end 7 years later. Shouldn't have bothered.
Lauren
Aug 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Ended up going with a 3 on this one. Full review to come when I'm not dead tired!
Lisa
Aug 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a gripping tale of a college love triangle followed by a mysterious disappearance. The story takes unexpected turns and the shifting POV adds an element of anticipation.
Christine
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads and can hardly wait to read it. Review to follow after receipt of the book.
Caroline Vincent
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
What an intriguing and fascinating novel! An enthralling story about friendship and the perception of our behaviour; about accepting who you are and not being afraid to show that to a complex and confusing world. There is Glo, the shy redhead who started to swim after "puberty struck with catastrophic vengeance" - and there is Cyn, the beautiful blonde with her blue eyes, a magnet to anything in trousers. Who could ever believe that Cyn would become best friends with Glo? How far will her influe ...more
Sharon
Atria Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of Love Her Madly. I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

Love Her Madly, the debut novel for author M. Elizabeth Lee, is the story of two college friends whose friendship is put to the ultimate test. Gloria Roebuck and Cynthia Williams are not the likeliest of best friends, but it all works well until a guy comes between them. Jealousy and love gets batted back and forth, not unlike a badminton m
Donna
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
College friendships often last a lifetime. It's a time when young people are vulnerable and enjoy sharing the years of their growth with a close friend. This book deals with an unusual friendship, where one party is toxic, and the friendship is strong. As life progresses and various traumatic events occur, one of the girls is forced to face the truth about the friend she loves like a sister. For most, we mature into adults, for others the path to destruction never changes. I enjoyed this book ev ...more
Typicalkiki
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
This book dragged on for me. It's definitely 2.5 stars, and only because the little bit of mystery kept me intrigued enough to finish the book.
I found all of the characters unlikable. I detested Cyn, the self absorbed wild child friend that causes all the problems, and is just about the only thing that makes Glo interesting. Glo's only personality trait seemed to be insecurity. And Raj, I couldn't figure out what either girl saw in him. The whole storyline was also pretty bizarre and far fetche
Ruth
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm reading around the theme of "toxic female friendships". It's interesting, as a queer woman, to read what straight women like to call "intense". I'm not sure whether these friendships are meant to be queer, obsessive, platonic or something else. And that's an idea I find straight authors tend to enjoy writing about without ever really contemplating the ramifications of bisexuality in women and how it manifests. I wish someone would explore that, rather than rely on cliches and tropes to work ...more
Jenny
Sep 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Despite being a character-driven novel, so not much happening, I was never bored which is impressive. Light, fun read that is perfect for summer reading. I enjoyed that the ending wasn't wrapped up all nicely but was rather left open-ended.
Tayanna Daliese
Feb 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book had potential and the set up just didn't live up to the final reveal. There were some creative elements in the story so I'll give it snaps for that, but it isn't anything I'd rave about or recommend necessarily.
Joslyn Bellamy
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reminded me so much of University days! Evocative writing and good, fast-paced story.
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Golden Treasury of Poetry
  • The American Girl
  • Heartbreak Ranch (A Very Sexy Romance)
  • Legacy: An Anthology
  • Containment (Sanctuary, #2)
  • Messenger
  • Barely Surviving (Surviving, #1)
  • The Guardians (The Lost Realm, #1)
  • No Sleep till Doomsday (Dru Jasper, #3)
  • Forget You (Coldcreek, #4)
  • A Missing Peace
  • Christmas Angels: A Novella
  • The Funeral Singer
  • Surprised by Joy/The Four Loves
  • Lying to Meet You
  • Owl and the Tiger Thieves (Adventures of Owl, #4)
  • No Substitute for Murder (Subbing isn't for Sissies #1)
  • Out of Practice (Breakup Doctor #4)
M. Elizabeth Lee is a novelist, actress and screenwriter based in New York City. She studied Literature and Theater at New College in Sarasota, Florida. Liz has appeared in numerous independent film and web productions helmed by directors from all over the globe. She has also written numerous screenplays in connection with Cold Hands Productions, two of which, the horror-comedy Eat Me! and the psy ...more