Start by marking “Catching the Sky” as Want to Read:
Catching the Sky

Catching the Sky

A transcendent story about risk and the pursuit of happiness, family, and the bond between brothers.

Dust and prairie were abundant on the Texas Panhandle, the land that gave birth to generations of Moores. But instead of working the landor the cattle that fed upon it, the Moore brothers, Colten and Caleb, heeded another call.

Their dreams, paired with hard work and family s
Published January 19th 2016 by 37 Ink

To ask other readers questions about Catching the Sky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catching the Sky

Start your review of Catching the Sky
Michele Moore
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Of course I have to give this book rave reviews!! I not only read it but had a huge part in writing it! I know it isn't out to the public yet but I hope you will help me spread the word about it! (Available as preorder on Amazon and Barnes and Noble). It's a true inside view of our lives and what we've gone through as a family over the past several years!
Hunter M
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response:
I really enjoyed this book; it was very inspiring and made me want to live my life more freely. I think that people nowadays are too uptight. I just want to live and do adventurous things, and not worry about all the stressful things in life. This book opened my eyes up to a life that can be luxurious and fun, but the risks that are still present. I am very grateful for the things I have in my life. I am also thankful for all the opportunities I have in my life. I think this bo
Lynn
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Colten Moore's brother, Caleb, was killed in 2014 in Aspen while competing at ESPN's Winter X Games. Caleb's snowmobile crashed into him after a flip and trick went terribly wrong.

In this touching memoir, Colten tells the story of Caleb and Colton who grew up in Krum, Texas, near Amarillo, where there are no mountains, where there is no snow. Their parents used their modest resources and devout faith to support the boys and their reckless endeavors.

Reading this book, I began to see how risk is
Luke Sands
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Payton Magdanz
Sep 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sharon
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, netgalley
Atria Books and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

When your brother gives his life to the sport that you both love, how can you find the strength to continue competing? Catching the Sky is the story of Colten and Caleb Moore, talented brothers who gave their all to both freestyle ATV and snowmobile competitions. Although both chalked up numerous injuries in the pursuit of perfection, Caleb paid the ultimate price for the love of his spor
CHRIS YOUNG
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Personal Response

Catching the Sky was an amazing book in my eyes. I loved the action it had. I could relate very well with the book. Colten is one of my biggest idols, so it was really cool to learn his story. Reading this book made me realize how much it took to become a freestyle rider. I rated this book a 5 out of 5 stars because of how well it transitioned through time and major events.

Plot

In Catching the Sky, two brothers chased a dream that not many people have chased. They paid the price
Lainey
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written. I loved the Moore brothers from the moment they appeared at the X Games and I am still a huge fan of Colten's. I loved hearing Colten's story, even though this book was written after tragedy. I found myself laughing, then crying, then smiling, then crying again, all within five pages. I have a deeper understanding of who these "crazy Texas boys" were and who their family is now. This book has a little something for everyone, whether you follow the X Games, know about snowmob ...more
Madi Blake
Jan 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this book to any atv/sports action lover. Catching the Sky is a great memoir/ Biography of both of the Moore brothers four-wheeling and snowmobiling careers, but specifically Caleb Moore, who was tradegically killed in a snowmobile wreck at the 2014 x-games. This book brings you through the hard times and the good times of the Moore brothers, and is one of those reads that you don't want to put down.
Meghann
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was fabulous. I didn't want to put it down and it all played out in my mind after I did put it down each night . Colton takes the reader through it all. The good times and the complete heartbreak and then starting the healing process and finding a new reason to ride. The bond the Moore brothers had is not your every day sibling love. They clearly had something really special. Definitely worth reading.
Brooke
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, own, sports
I read this book in a weekend. It's a great read. I learned more about Caleb and Colten plus I learned about the X games and snowmobiles. Really well written.
Motez Bishara
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I can't give this more than a 2 star rating because I just couldn't get beyond halfway through the book. Here's why: In no way at all was I convinced that Colten Moore wrote any part of this book.

Ghostwriter / co-author Keith O'Brien writes this story in first person, as though Moore was telling the story in his own voice. But Moore, by his own description, barely graduated from high school with a GED, so when he gets into intricate details of Newton's laws of physics he just lost me. The entire
Eric
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This cover blurb, "A brilliant slice of American life, a classic tale of a couple of good old boys who dared to fly, dared to dream big, and paid a terrible price," by Jonathon Eig, 'tricked' me into thinking this might be something like the Robert Duvall/Michael Cained characters from "Second Hand Lions. Alas, it was well crafted statement that got me interested in reading what turns out to be a couple Texas kids who ride ATVs and snowmobiles for extreme sports.

People ought to have dreams, and
Ryan M
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
As a snowmobile while reading this book I really liked it because I like taking risk and going off jumps and other stunts they do. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn about an awesome family snowmobile adventure. Towards the end this book does get sad but it was a very emotional book which brings you through my favorite family's life story if you even think about reading this I would because I love snowmobiles and riding atvs.
Nicole Martin
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a son who races quads at the national level. I enjoyed the story of these brothers and how much they loved each other. When my son is a little older, I will probably have him read the book.

I recommend this book to anyone with brothers and anyone who follows molten and wants to know more about him.
Dave
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bubble wrapped world be damned! Using flying 4 wheel ATV’s & flipping snowmobiles the Moore brothers bring X-treme sports (and life) into focus on “Catching the Sky”. The boys left my heart in pieces, ready for a yardsale. (“Yardsale” being slang for a bad crash that leaves your vehicle in pieces.) ...more
C.J. Ruby
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sports, culture, memoir
...
Shauna
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Colten and his brother Caleb Moore are freestyle quad competitors who decide to go into the snowmobile freestyle competitions. This is their story of how they became world competitors and of loss.
Julie
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. I learned a lot about the history of the x games that I didn't know.
Samantha
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-the-bookshelf
An absolute joy to read full of friendship, loss, adrenaline, and sibling love. A must read.
Laura Valentine
May 15, 2016 rated it liked it
Can't say I understand the motivation behind xtreme sports, but good look at the world and tribute to Moore's brother.
Nancy Seamons
May 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating and amazing story about two brothers from Texas and how they lived their dream to become extreme snowmobilers in the X games.
Claire
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! A wonderfully written story of brotherhood, family and dreaming big. I couldn't put it down.
Whitney Stringer
Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book! I highly recommend!
Megan Williamson
Apr 29, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Fifth Petal
  • Fierce, Free, and Full of Fire: The Guide to Being Glorious You
  • The Meltdown (Diary of a Wimpy Kid, #13)
  • Approval Junkie: My Heartfelt (and Occasionally Inappropriate) Quest to Please Just about Everyone, and Ultimately Myself
  • The Stranger in the Woods: The Extraordinary Story of the Last True Hermit
  • Let Me Off at the Top!: My Classy Life and Other Musings
  • The Devil in Vienna
  • Nothing Short of Dying (Clyde Barr, #1)
  • Point of Direction
  • Bull Mountain (Bull Mountain, #1)
  • On Pills and Needles: The Relentless Fight to Save My Son from Opioid Addiction
  • Gray Mountain