Start by marking “On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life” as Want to Read:
On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life

On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life

In the bestselling tradition of Brene Brown’s Daring Greatly and Nick Vujicic’s Life Without Limits comes a rousing 7-step plan for living a life on fire, filled with hope and possibility—from an inspirational speaker who survived a near-fatal fire at the age of nine and now runs a successful business inspiring people all around the world.

When John O’Leary was nine years o
Published March 15th 2016 by Gallery Books (first published March 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about On Fire, please sign up.
Geoff He does mention his faith several times, i would not classify this as a religious book however.

Start your review of On Fire: The 7 Choices to Ignite a Radically Inspired Life
Negin
Nov 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This powerful book made me cry several times and has inspired me to try to become a better person. The author, who burned nearly his entire body at the age of nine, does an incredible job telling his own story and how the reader can apply it to one’s own life. I look forward to reading it again. I think that this book is far and above your typical self-help-type book.
Some of my favorite quotes:

“We had it all. Life was perfect. And then life changed. It always does. When life changes in this way
Amanda Rogers
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just pure awesomeness. Incredible story. Incredible truths. I read a lot of non-fiction, but I think this one tops the list for me. I can't remember a book I've read where I've had a perpetual lump in my throat through nearly every page. John's story is tough to read - especially as a mom. But as he continues to unveil the heroes in his story, you see the beauty in it all and you understand why, as he said, he'd do it all again. And the major underlying themes.... that true joy and contentment c ...more
Jill Hennessy
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
John O'Leary's story really is amazing. He survived an incredible tragedy and then used every lesson learned from this tragedy to live a truly inspired life. The lessons are not new - most of us know what it takes - but the way he lives these lessons is inspiring. It makes us all believe that we can live a truly inspired life!
Shelley
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a great book to start reading for a new year! This book is so inspiring and so dang positive. I will take so much away from this book- lessons in how to be positive, how to parent with more love, and how to be more fully present in my life and my relationships. A life changing read. Bravo, Mr. O’Leary, thanks for choosing to share your story.
Christine
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I have truly mixed feelings about this book. Self-help (which is what this really is) books are not my style (I like to say that I'm perfectly imperfect ;) ). I found this man's story fascinating. For a young kid to have recovered from such burns is nothing short of miraculous. For him to go on and live a basically normal live was pretty awesome too. I liked how he pointed out how many people helped in, in both big and small ways and that we can therefore all have an impact. It was difficult for ...more
Marcy Heller
Feb 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
If only there was a star for DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME. For some odd reason, a book club I attend when I'm in the sun selected this book. I respect John O'Leary's positive life trajectory after having been burned over his whole body as a child and expected to die, but his story could have been told in just a few pages, and his seven choices to living a purposeful life in one paragraph. Reading the same thing over and over again in each chapter was tiresome. When I told someone I hated the book she a ...more
Shari Nagy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked the story and found it inspirational. It’s not a “self-help” book but more of a memoir of his life and experience surviving the fire.
My problem was, he repeated the same stories in multiple chapters...I was thinking, “I already read this”, and then looked back a couple chapters and there it was. I feel like this book could’ve been a hundred pages shorter.
Melinda
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic personal development book! Definitely the best one I've read, yet. It was easy to read, hard to put down, caused occasional tears and a gut punch or two (or twenty) when you felt as though he were speaking right to you. I definitely recommend it!
Karen Benedetto
Feb 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
VERY inspiring story, but nothing new.
Dan Starks
Mar 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Powerful book with a great message. Actually brought me to tears at two incredible moments.
Peggy
Jun 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had the opportunity to hear John O'Leary speak on a virtual coffee chat. What he said sparked interest, so I bought the book on Kindle that night. John asks us to think about our stories--the stories that we don't share with other people. He has inspired me to start sharing my story, as painful as that might be. During this time of racial tensions, a lot of uncomfortable memories are bubbling to the surface. My hope and prayer is that in sharing parts of my story, it might help address issues ...more
Claire King
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m not usually one for self-help/motivational/positive thinking books but this one was shared with me at a much needed time and had so many a-ha moments!
Tallulah Rose
Mar 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Courageous and inspiring
Jay Townsend
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great read and very inspiring story. Highly recommended.
V
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
A very inspiring book. I really like how Mr. O'Leary uses his tragedy and turns it into triumph. I framework of starting each chapter by looking back the fire then follows with the events and stories of what happens next on path to healing.

Here are some of my favorite quotes:

“The number one joy indicator, the one thing that will predict whether someone feels joy in their life or not, is the practice of gratitude.”

“When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all you
Geetanjali Mukherjee
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.*

The book to me felt like a combination of a memoir and a motivational self-help book, and initially that put me off a little and I took a while to get into the book. That changed a couple of chapters in, and I raced through the remainder of the book. I even found myself quoting from the book in conversations, and really wanted everyone I met to stop what they were doing to read the book.

The book inspired me and made me look
Susanne Doran
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely, positively amazing! "On Fire" by John O'Leary is his unbelievable true story of being burned as a child but John is able to transport the reader into his journey and inspires one to live their life in a radically different way. I can't say enough about this book and about the person himself. John is an inspiration to anyone that reads this book or has the honor to hear him speak in person. You will not be disappointed in this read!
Lisa
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
On Fire is the inspirational story of John O'Leary's life. As a child, he was severely burned, he came back from the brink of death and had to endure a horrific amount of pain while healing and becoming able to function again. He describes many people who gave him the will to live and helped him recover. Today, he uses all these experiences to motivate others to choose to be a victor rather than a victim.
Andi
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Incredibly powerful and moving. By the end of every chapter I was so motivated & ignited with the wheels turning in my head on ways to share my "why" and how I got there with others. Several of the moments he shared even brought me to tears. A MUST read! It will make you think twice throughout your day on how you react personally to disappointments & how to live from a place of love vs fear. Truly a life changing book! ...more
Cole
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
An interesting read but not as actionable as I hoped. John has an incredible story and has overcome some unbelievable challenges in his life which gives him a powerful tale to tell. I felt the book wasn't written with any clear message however and just bounced around between his ideas. His writing style is very "stream of consciousness"-esque which made it challenging to follow his points. There are some great ideas buried in the book but the writing style makes it hard to convey them.
Andrea
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
While this isn't what I normally read, I really liked this book. John O'Leary's story is so inspiring and the advice he gives isn't preachy at all. I read this book in about two sittings, so it's a fairly quick read. I really recommend it for anyone who likes reading about people's lives and what they've been through.
Dale Denham
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring and motivating without being a typical motivational book. Reads like a story you become immersed in and yet it is life changing. The author manages to reach you and inspire you in ways very few books have ever done.

A fantastic read for everyone but a must if you are going through any struggle in life.
Alicia O'hara
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. John's story is so inspiring and his perspective is so loving for all that he has endured. I actually listened to the audio book in the car which he narrates himself. He does a wonderful job!
Learn about his healing journey, both physically and emotionally, after being burned over 90% of his body. Read this book!!!!!!!
Jessie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My dad gave me and my siblings each a copy of On Fire for Christmas after hearing the author as a motivational speaker. This is a great book; I recommend it to anyone. On Fire is written with such great voice, passion, and common sense language that it truly does ignite one's spirit. New bucket list item for me is to hear John O'Leary as a speaker!
Lisa
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Powerful! One of the best books I've read this year. I picked it up at the library after it caught my eye in Barnes & Noble, now it looks like I'll be purchasing it too for my own personal library, so I can go back re-read for further inspiration. ...more
Cheryl
Jan 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great book!! Inspirational, and gets you motivated to not just sleep walk through life.
Allie Way
Feb 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I listened to John sharing his own words via audiobook. Authentic and well told by an inspiring man who has not just survived, but thrived after burns to 100% of his body at a young age.

Here’s a few things that stood out for me as a parent, and as a leader, to embrace and incorporate into life:

- Our mistakes give worth to our biggest blessings. The learnings are what make us who we are, and our scars from experiences are symbols of strength to be celebrated. Embrace your story.

- Take the time t
Jason Carter
May 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
At nine years old, little John O'Leary attempted to copy his older brother and friends he'd seen throwing matches in little potholes of gasoline. Except he got it backwards. In his parent's garage, alone, John put a match on the floor and attempted to pour a little gasoline onto the match. The flames leapt up into the gas can, exploded, and blew John across the garage and into the wall. Covered in gasoline and completely aflame, he ran into the house, to be greeted by screaming little sisters. H ...more
Charmin
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: growth
Highlights:
1. Those times where we were broken and heels are the spaces that connect us to our fellow humans. We may have grown up in different neighborhoods and gone to different schools. We have different jobs in different families. But we all know the pain of loneliness; we all know the fear of being unloved.

2. Living life on fire means you aren’t afraid to know and on your story; you celebrate the scars you’ve accumulated along the way, and you are ready and willing to live life honestly.

Emily Somers
Mar 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very inspiring, courageous, true story. I’m looking forward to seeing John speak in a couple of weeks! There was one section in particular that really spoke to me...

“Stretching leads to growth. Growth is frequently painful. But ‘growth is the only evidence of life.’ When a couple stop actively dating, stop pursuing one another, stop choosing to really love, stop choosing to grow together, stop choosing to continually forgive-they begin to die. They didn’t fall out of love. They stopped growing i
Open Discussion and Reading Schedule for "One Fire" 1 2 Mar 12, 2020 08:01PM

• Overwhelming Odds
  • Mansfield's Book of Manly Men: An Utterly Invigorating Guide to Being Your Most Masculine Self
  • Hero: Being the Strong Father Your Children Need
  • The Good Fight: How Conflict Can Lead to Greater Intimacy in Marriage
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • The Seven Decisions: Understanding the Keys to Personal Success
  • Your Blue Flame: Drop the Guilt and Do What Makes You Come Alive
  • Sun Stand Still: What Happens When You Dare to Ask God for the Impossible
  • The Power of Agency: The 7 Principles to Conquer Obstacles, Make Effective Decisions, and Create a Life on Your Own Terms
  • Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • Je te promets la liberté
  • Primary Greatness: The 12 Levers of Success
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • A New Season: A Robertson Family Love Story of Brokenness and Redemption
  • American Crusade: Our Fight to Stay Free
  • Opportunity Knocks: The Story of How Hope and Opportunity Can Change Everything
  • The Great Wing
  • Why I Couldn't Stay Silent
Once expected to die, today John O'Leary teaches others how to truly live. As an internationally acclaimed speaker, bestselling author, and podcast host, John helps hundreds of thousands of people to live inspired each year, sharing his insights and inspiring message with emotional storytelling and unexpected humor. He is the founder of Rising Above, a lifestyle organization helping people and com ...more