Start by marking “Taking Fire (One-Eyed Jacks, #4)” as Want to Read:
Taking Fire (One-Eyed Jacks, #4)

Taking Fire

(One-Eyed Jacks #4)

Betrayal. Retribution. Redemption?

Six years ago, tough-as-nails military contractor Bobby Taggart met the woman of his dreams in war-torn Kabul—a sexy, whip-smart war correspondent who approached him at a local bar, took him to bed, made him fall in love…and then mysteriously disappeared. In her wake, the terrorist leader he’d been mining for valuable intel was assassinate
Mass Market Paperback, 367 pages
Published February 23rd 2016 by Pocket Books

Lana ❇✾Dirty Girl Romance❇✾
4.5 Stars

And there they stood, locked in an embrace of emotions that bound them together with a common history, a common fear, and a common goal.

When I think of heart pounding romantic suspense, Cindy Gerard is the first name to pop into my head. The woman is a romantic suspense rockstar. Having read her entire backlist, I'm not making that statement lightly. I loved her Black Ops series, and Bobby "Boom Boom" Taggard made quite a few appearances in it. Enough to pique my interest and leave
~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~
3.5 Stars

A hot military guy gets played by a woman who uses him to get information and leaves when she gets what she wants. He’s heartbroken and can’t get over her for years. And then he (view spoiler)? He's pissed off and full of hate.

Yum.

I’m a bad, bad person because I loved how tortured and heartbroken he was.

Plus, the writing is good, the characters likable and the plot suspenseful and action-loaded from the start.

I did
Joëlle
Update Jan 24 2016 : It's available on Amazon US now ... LOVED this one!!

*** ARC kindly provided by the publisher Gallery, Threshold, Pocket Books, via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. ***

Before I requested this one on NetGalley I had to think if I would like to read this … Military … Kabul … Terrorists … Betrayal … It’s not wat I usually read but I was intrigued. But I’m glad I did because I loved every second of it!

Betrayal

Six years ago Bobby was supposed to be just an assignment.
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Readers, if you’re excited about this book, you have a good reason to be. I’ve been a fan of Cindy Gerard for some time now but its books like TAKING FIRE that really make me appreciate how talented an author she is.

When you read the blurb of this book, it doesn’t sound like it will be any different from the other Romantic Suspense stories we’ve encountered before. As a member of the Mossad, Talia obviously puts her own life in danger for the organization she adores. But she never expects that
Jonetta
Originally posted on The Book Nympho

The story begins six years prior to present day with Bobby Taggart, former member of the One-Eyed Jacks unit, working in Kabul as an independent contractor for a private security firm. He encounters Talia Levine who was undercover as a war correspondent. Despite his reservations, he spends a week with Talia where he fell hard. It all falls apart when she disappears after having used him to take out her target. Back to present day and the two reconnect in Oman
Sunny
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC REVIEW
Originally posted at Scandalicious Book Reviews

Goodness, I have missed Cindy Gerard. She takes her time writing her romantic suspense books and it shows in the quality of the read. This is a quintessential Cindy Gerard story. It’s detailed, emotive, and suspenseful. From the first word, I am completely suckered into the narrative. It doesn’t take long to set up the scenario in which two battle-weary people find solace with one another. Their experience as agents warns them to erect for
Duchess Nicole
What a fantastic installment to the One Eyed Jacks series! It's an intricate tale of passion, secrets, and betrayal. Bobby and Talia share a few stolen nights together and each of them realize how intense their feelings are for each other, but for one of them, the entire connection has been a setup. When everything falls into place, that connection is severed and it is years until they meet up again...only then is the biggest betrayal of all uncovered.

I admit to having a hard time with the grav
XxTainaxX
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Bobby and Talia's story. Talia had to betray him during a liaison they had while he was on a mission. She changed a lot as a result of their encounter and found herself in love and withholding a secret from him. They meet gain years later and under difficult circumstances. She needs his help desperately. They also need to work through the anger and resentment that Bobby feels toward Talia. It's not easy for him to let go of it. Even as they work through some of the other lingering issues. ...more
CD {Boulder Blvd}
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ms. Gerard's book tend to be hit or miss for me. I was really thrilled to find that Taking Fire was a hit. I liked the plot and the characters and found I was really pulled into this one and didn't want to put it down.

This book is broken out into three parts: Betrayal, Retribution, and Redemption. The parts focus on a different aspect of Talia's and Bobby's story and flow well together.

The first part is Betrayal where Bobby and Talia meet in Kabul and starts really strong with the meeting, heat
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
I have become a huge fan this author. This is only my second or third book by her but I am addicted. She has the magic touch when it comes to combining military action with smoking hot alpha males. She gives each vulnerability and with this book, Bobby was very vulnerable, not to mention smitten with Talia, even after her betrayal. With plenty of steamy hot scenes, military action, intense thrills and suspense you cringe with, this book has it all.

However, this book isn’t just about action and r
Auntee
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of the series
41/2 stars
Anita
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
ARC provided by the Publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Cindy Gerard in channeling her inner Ziva David from the CBS TV show NCIS as Talia Levine and I LOVE it. I am also feeling Channing Tatum as Bobby Taggert. This book is one wild ride and all I can say is MORE!

After meeting in Kabul and having a one week torrid affair Bobby Taggert finds himself alone and with a failed mission and he is pretty sure that Talia Levine is the reason. Fast forward 6 years and they come face
Buggy
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent read from Miss Gerard. She remains my go-to author for romantic suspense and doesn't disappoint here. Thoroughly enjoyed this one, excellent story, tons of action, exotic locations and a rekindled romance. What I really appreciated about this story was how it wasn't just over and all HEA once the mission was completed, Gerard took the time to give us a real ending with Talia and Bobby working through their relationship and in my opinion reaching a believable conclusion.
RachelW (BamaGal)
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
3.5 Stars. Good enough read, straightforward and hits all the right spots. A small annoyance (for me) in Gerard's books is that all the series continue into the next one, including plotlines and characters. I would love to see each book as a more self-contained read.

I enjoyed it, though. I'm a sucker for 'second chance at love' stories. Bobby Taggart has been around as a secondary character forever, glad he finally got his own story.
Alyse
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Taking Fire is the fourth book in Cindy Gerard's One-Eyed Jacks series, featuring the last of the One-Eyed Jacks, Bobby Taggart. I LOVED this
series and was also glad to get cameos from her Black Ops. series. Each book can be read as a stand-alone, but this series is so GOOD that I fully recommend reading ALL of them. Especially concerning Bobby's book because it takes place before AND after the One-Eyed Jacks reunite.

Betrayal

Six years ago in Kabal, while working for a private military company,
Yomi M.
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cindy Gerard is definitely one of the best writers of romantic suspense out there. In that specific genre there needs to be a balance between romance and suspense and sometimes that just isn’t the case. However, Cindy Gerard proved with this book that that balance can exist. I think that my favorite aspect of the book was how well the author compartmentalized the story into different parts. You’re allowed glimpses into the different stages of Talia and Bobby’s love story.

Talia and Bobby’s love
Keri
While not the strongest book in the series it was still a compelling read. It is a Gerard after all.
Beanimous
May 31, 2017 rated it liked it
A very well written, fast paced and intense military action romance book.

I am not usually a fan of military action books, but this book is very well written, it has realistic characters, realistic action, real tension and mystery.

The action scenes are handled and written very well by the writer, I had thoroughly enjoyed this book.

Danielle Gypsy Soul
Taking Fire is the third book in Cindy Gerard’s One-Eyed Jacks series but can easily be read as a stand-alone. I haven’t read any of the previous books but other than wondering how the One-Eyed Jacks all got back together I didn’t feel like I missed anything. However, I will say that after reading this book I will definitely be going back and reading the first two!
This book centers around Bobby Taggert who was dishonorably discharged when a mission went wrong and several of his teammates were k
Danielle
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was my first Gerard book and I couldn't put it down. It was filled with nonstop suspense and surprises at every turn.

Bobby is a military contractor and is currently on a job overseas. Normally women are a distraction and you can never tell if you are being set up but there is something about Talia that draws him in.

Talia is working a job and her supervisors want information that Bobby has. She is to do whatever it takes to get that even if it means sleeping with him. As the week goes on t
Dísir
I've not read the rest of the One-eyed Jacks books, but from what I can surmise, it's pretty much a BOI team add on that still goes on mission after mission--only sort of sanctioned this time-- with some of the beloved old crew still in attendance.

For all the updated details on world politics and counterterrorism, 'Taking Fire' is in fact, quite a simple one without convoluted plots and sub-plots that tend to ruin many a book in the romantic suspense genre.

Played for a fool 6 years ago, an unt
Susan (susayq ~)
Another great piece to this series.

Bobby Taggert was a great hero. Both in the romantic sense and in the real-life sense. His pain and heart break were hard to read, but so very understandable. I loved that he was finally able to get over the hurt and anger. I totally get why Talia did what she did...both in Kabul and afterwards. She was strong and smart and I really liked her. She had her share of heart break and pain as well. I hope she can become part of the team eventually.

ARC provided by t
Jacqueline J
Cindy Gerard just writes solid military romantic suspense. This one was great. The action sequences are believable and well thought out. The relationships between characters both professionally and personally are well done. I loved the hero here. He was open to a relationship and struggled to overcome his negative feelings after he was hurt. The heroine was also well done with believable motivations and actions.

Very well done.
Booklover, Indianapolis
(Aug) Ok, I'll be honest - my favorite thing about RS books is the bromance between the guys on the team. However, so many of these groups are similar that I find myself mixing up who goes with who and what previous missions (and hook ups) each group has had. I mix these guys up with her Black Ops guys and some of Maya Banks guys and other groups of badass military guys I've spent time with!

I don't really remember all that happened in the 3 books before this, but decided it doesn't really matte
Didi
"The more you trust, the greater the betrayal.
The more you love, the greater the harm."
4.5 Stars

Taking Fire is a fast-paced story of duty, love, betrayal, retribution and redemption. It is by far the best book in One-Eyed Jacks series. I so didn't regret having to go back and read book #1-#3 prior to reading this one!

On the first part of the story, the author brought together the third One-Eyed Jacks member still alive, Bobby Taggart, with Talia Levine in war-torn Kabul. Their sort yet sizz
Alison
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. I was not compensated for my review, and I was not required to write a positive review. The opinion expressed here is my own.

By and large I really enjoy Cindy Gerard's books but the second One-Eyed Jacks book didn't really work for me and I abandoned it fairly early on so I was in some trepidation when I requested this from NetGalley - would it be hit or miss?

I am pleased to say I loved this bo
Jacquie
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Holy smokes!!

Talk about action-packed suspense and gut-wringing emotion! This book had it all.

After Boom-Boom (Bobby Taggert) is betrayed by a woman in Kabul he vows never to fall victim to a pretty face again. So imagine his shock when he runs into the same war correspondent-turned-spy six years later, moments before a bomb detonates and almost wipes him off the face of the planet?

Talia Levine knows Bobby has a reason to hate her, even more than he can guess. But when militant soldiers steal he
Emalie
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
~ Book generously provided by NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest opinion

It's confession time, guys: I have had the ARC of Taking Fire since around January and only just finished it. My reason for being so late was the fact that I was afraid. Afraid of not liking it. I loved Cindy Gerard's BOI's series and I didn't want to be disappointed by Taking Fire. Also I haven't read the three previous books of the One-Eyed Jacks series.

Now after reading it I wish I could travel back in
Haley
Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
TAKING FIRE was a solid read.

Bobby, a military contractor, and Talia meet six years ago in Kabul. They have an instant and magnetic connection. When Bobby’s job goes south he realizes that this attractive woman may have more to do with it than he wants to believe. But he doesn’t get to confront her, because when he goes back to her hotel… she’s gone.

Now, Bobby is on a covert security mission for the U.S. Embassy in Oman when he runs into the woman who betrayed him years ago. Before they have a
  • A Covert Affair (Deadly Ops, #5)
  • Seduction Game (I-Team, #7)
  • At the Edge (Alpha Crew, #1)
  • Rekindled (Titanium Security, #5)
  • Midnight Secrets (Men of Midnight, #3)
  • Secrets (The Battling McGuire Boys #2)
  • Primal Force (K-9 Rescue, #3)
  • Deadly Dance (A-Tac, #5)
  • Storm Warning (Security Specialists International #4)
  • Running On Empty (LCR Elite, #1)
  • Falling Hard (Bad Boys Undercover, #2)
  • Ultimate Courage (True Heroes, #2)
  • Breaking Through (SEAL TEAM Heartbreakers #2)
The only thing Cindy had in mind when she started writing her first book was finishing it. The issue of actually selling it came much later. Only after she made that life-altering first sale did she realize that one book would never be enough. Now, over 20 books and numerous awards later, Cindy laughingly admits that she can barely remember life before...well, was there life before writing?

Actuall

One-Eyed Jacks (4 books)
  • Killing Time (One Eyed Jacks, #1)
  • The Way Home (One-Eyed Jacks #2)
  • Running Blind (One-Eyed Jacks, #3)