Start by marking “Denial of Conscience (Conscience #1)” as Want to Read:
Denial of Conscience (Conscience #1)

Denial of Conscience

(Conscience #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
2015 Favorite Pride and Prejudice Modern Adaptation - Margie Must Reads
2015 Favorite Modern JAFF - More Agreeably Engaged
2015 Favorite Austenesque Modern - Austenesque Reviews
2016 Honorable Mention Favorite Book - Diary of an Eccentric

Inspired by Jane Austen's most alluring romantic couple, this modern adventure stars adaptations of characters from Pride and Prejudice and
Paperback, First Edition, 347 pages
Published June 26th 2015 by Vanity & Pride Press (first published June 24th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Denial of Conscience, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Denial of Conscience

Sheila Majczan
Jun 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As I said earlier today this story is sexy, lush and riveting!

I was sent a 34 page sample of this book by the author several weeks ago and upon reading that coined this book as "James Bond meets Jane Austen". It lives up to both genres! Excitement, thrills, espionage, flying across the Atlantic, riding bullet trains thru Europe, handsome men seducing the ladies and ladies with deadly skills, this book does not let down from hypnotizing action.

The book description ends with a note from the autho
Sophia
James Bond Meets Pride & Prejudice in this exciting, sultry, and exotic mash up. I couldn't wait to read it. Darcy is an assassin, Lizzy's Dad is his target, and a terrorist has them in his crosshairs. Yep, that made for an intriguing romance and adventure.

The story opens with Fitzwilliam Darcy having just completed a job only to get called in for his next ops. His cousin recruited him and the two Bingley sibs to be the four members of Obsidian a contract company used by the government when
J. W. Garrett
“It was my duty to shoot the enemy, and I don’t regret it. My regrets are for the people I couldn’t save: Marines, soldiers, buddies. I’m not naïve, and I don’t romanticize war. The worst moments of my life have come as a SEAL. But I can stand before God with a clear conscience about doing my job.” Chris Kyle

Warning/Caveat: Know going in this is not for the faint of heart. It is graphic, and explicit. We are dealing with a covert assassin group that works under the radar and deals with evil enem
Meredith (Austenesque Reviews)
Double O Darcy!

TYPE OF AUSTENESQUE NOVEL: Modern Adaptation of Pride and Prejudice, Mature Audiences

SETTING: Modern-day – Virginia, Monte Carlo, and Morocco

SYNOPSIS: Fitzwilliam Darcy, an ex-SEAL working as an assassin for a secret organization contracted by the CIA, is on his next mission to take out a man in Virginia who is creating a very harmful technology that, once sold to our enemies could cripple the U.S. and send us back to the Dark Ages. The target Darcy is sent to eliminate is an unas
Claudine DiMuzio / Just Jane 1813
I am thrilled I finally read this book by Cat Gardiner, who I believe writes some of the best modern JAFF stories.

The chemistry between Darcy and Elizabeth is palpable, the storyline is engrossing and the way she folds Austen's characters from her other stories into this book adds to the wit and cheekiness of her book.

The beginning is a little slow and then the book takes off and becomes a real page-turner. I am thrilled a sequel is due out soon, which I also can't wait to read and review!

Tha
Sara
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff-modern
LOVE LOVE LOVE! It's everything described and more. Could not put it down!
Candy
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What a ride! I loved reading Denial of Conscience! I was so caught up in the action of this exciting story, that I had a hard time putting it down!

Darcy is an assassin; a hired killer working unofficially for the CIA. He works alongside his cousin, Richard Fitzwilliam, and good friend, Charles Bingley. Their main headquarters and front is a dance studio run by Charles and his sister Caroline Bingley. Together, this crew is a badass team!

In this story, there are only two Bennet sisters, an
Paige
Jun 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Denial of Conscience is an original and exciting Pride and Prejudice riff. As the title indicates, it is a modern adventure involving Elizabeth, Darcy, and other Austen characters. Other reviews have perfectly described this book as being James Bond meets Jane Austen. At one point, Elizabeth thinks to herself that Darcy is like James Bond.

There is so much to like about this book! Imagine Fitzwilliam as a former Navy SEAL, roaring around on his motorcycle. Imagine Caroline as a viporous ninja as
Carole (in Canada)
Jan 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: JAFF, Romance
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Lock, load and hold on! This is an action packed story of a tortured soul, Darcy, and a heart-broken Elizabeth who feels obliged to stay behind and take care of her father to the detriment of her own soul. After Mrs. Bennet runs away from her life at Longbourn Plantation and Jane Bennet leaves to pursue her own career, Elizabeth feels abandoned, though she still sees her sister. Mr. Bennet is a self-absorbed, selfish creature who works for the government and holds on to Elizabet
Mary
Oct 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a hot,fast paced,modern adventure that centres on the love story that is Elizabeth and Darcy then this is the book for you!

It's witty, spicy, adorable, addictive and beautifully written. I loved this Darcy and Elizabeth.... the chemistry between them....
their words of love........

This book is Pride and Prejudice meets Bond...it's a melting pot that runneth over........it's one of the best I've read and I highly recommend it!!

Ms Gardiner-take a well deserved bow!

Elizabeth Hossenlopp
No other word except WOW!

Wow. What a book. I mean REALLY. I admit I have never been into Bad Boys but this book has me contemplating Bad Boy Mr. Darcy. Yowser! This story packs a wallop of romance, intrigue, adventure, and just plain fun as Darcy and Elizabeth of Pride and Prejudice are spun into a modern, fascinating tale. I highly recommend this book. Again...Wow.
Erika
Excellent modern P&P variation

I have to say that Cat Gardiner has done it again!!! She pulled out all the stops: romance, adventure, espionage, hot Harley riding Darcy, the sizzling tango, selfish Mr Bennet, exotic locales.....and so much more!!!

Elizabeth is out of character in here, to begin with she is demure and capitulates to her father, the good girl who didn't move away, who always takes care of her father. She continually states that she is not romantic.

Darcy, what can I say but that
Nicole
3.5 Stars

Authors Note: Jane Austen wrote such wonderful characters, I borrowed their names and some of their characteristics to tell my own tale of hard-won, contemporary love.

BE ADVISED: This story contains explicit sexual scenes.
Cat Gardiner
Jun 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I didn't add it to my shelf because that's my Lady Catherine or Mr. Collins nature! LOL! I had to rate it to add it to my shelf in order to recommend it to all my friends. :) And, you know, I did have five stars of fun writing it! I hope you'll have five stars of fun reading it. Hugs, Cat
Margie's Must Reads
A whirlwind romance, a dangerous adventure, a HOT DARCY! What more do you want in LIFE?!?!? I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!
Tlotem
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
When Pride and Prejudice meets James Bond... it's explosive.
A well constructed story that lefts you on your toes! I particularly enjoyed Darcy's and Caroline's roles. The author found a good employ for her strong character
Evil Mommy
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pure entertainment!

This book was such a wonderfully fun surprise. I really think that in Jane Austen were around today she would have had written something wild and fun like this.
This isn't a modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice, but the characters are there (as well as some others from other JA novels very cleverly worked in).
It's a perfect read for a summer day.
Priscilla
May 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DoC gives you one of the most exhilarating rides ever with our dearest Elizabeth and Darcy. Beautifully written and so very wonderfully characterised too!! Loved this book to bits! (Though I'm pretty sure you've known this for quite a while now, Cat, but I shall never stop telling you that.)
Stacy
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one once it got going. I felt that the beginning took awhile to grab my interest. Maybe because it was so different from other retellings? Highly recommend if you are looking for a modern Pride and Prejudice story.
Brittany
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Well then. Wow. Didn't expect that to be awesome.

But it was.

I definitely have read my crazy plot twists relating to P&P tales - Darcy's a Vampire, Darcy's a Pirate, Darcy fights Zombies. But when I read the description of this...Darcy's a paid assassin??? I was like....ummmmm no. The rest of it sounded even crazier.

And it is crazy. Crazy awesome.

So the ratings were good, my friends on here rated it high, and I absolutely loved Cat Gardiner's book Lucky 13. So I stifled my initial hesitation
Janet
Nov 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oh. My. Goodness! This book was awesome! Cat Gardiner is an excellent author and writes a story that is fast-paced, entertaining and sizzling! She has done her research and it shows. The flow is perfect and the plot never skips a beat. I couldn’t put the book down but I didn’t want to finish it either.

This is a modern day story and the characters are altered a bit in personality from canon but I did not find that to be problematic. Jane is probably the most changed in personality. She is not the
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
Loved the romance in this one. ❤ ...more
Anna
Oct 08, 2016 added it
Shelves: austenesque
Cat Gardiner’s Denial of Conscience is a modern-day Pride and Prejudice of sorts — not a straight retelling but inspired by Jane Austen’s characters. It’s safe to say I’ve never read anything like it. Fitzwilliam Darcy is an assassin contracted by the CIA. Part of the covert civilian contract group Obsidian, Darcy is the Iceman — able to eliminate targets without flinching and so haunted by his past that he has frozen his heart to any woman. That is until he is hired to kill Thomas Bennet and ca ...more
Tina
Jul 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a plot that Mr. Bennet is a traitor to his country and Darcy is contracted to take him out of commission. Of course he ends up seeing Lizzy and then realizes he can't go through with it. But then a member of the CIA is contracted to kill daddy Bennet and well Darcy just happens to be in the right place at the right time. This starts an adventure to save Bennet from some middle eastern terrorists. Along the way the two end up falling in love.

I will say that this book to me just seem
Gail
Jun 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Denial of Conscience is an amazing ride from start to finish. It is so much more than a modern version of Pride and Prejudice. It begins with the premise that both Elizabeth and Darcy are damaged emotionally. Their adventure/quest strips them bare literally and figuratively. What they rebuild from the resultant components is more than worth the journey to get there. This story has it all: action, adventure, flowers, hard rock, opera, serpents, a tango to get the blood moving in your veins, thril ...more
Susan
Jan 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: austenesque
A modern tale of Darcy as an assassin (the Iceman) working for the Obsidian group with his cousin Fitzwilliam, friends Caroline and Charles Bingley. The group is contracted to the CIA and are given the task of killing the Bennet father. Plans go astray when the Iceman is unable to complete his task, but action and adventure follow.
In this tale there are only two sisters and no Mrs Bennet. An enjoyable story.
Teresita
May 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An incredible adventure!

They found the most incredible love in the most thrilling adventure. Rescued each other from loneliness and darkness. A story worth reading more than once.
Susanne
I had hoped to enjoy this book more than I did. I'm not often a fan of more modern retellings of Pride and Prejudice, but this one looked really promising. The plot was definitely intriguing; I was completely taken in by the plot and its dramatic twists and turns. But the way the story was told was just a bit crass. The diction, the tone--it just wasn't my cup o' tea. Perhaps readers more accustomed to contemporary fiction/romance will enjoy this novel more than I did. I guess I'm just an old-fa ...more
Anita Pelletier
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Exciting story with a loose tie to Pride &Prejudice

I’ve had this story on my TBR list for a while. I don’t read modern JAFF stories very often, but this series sounded interesting. I’m glad I took the time to read.

Loved the bad boy Darcy dressed in black driving a motorcycle and with so much emotional baggage he is referred to as the Iceman. Also enjoyed an Elizabeth that is just as emotionally damaged and who is burying her impertinent character. Add in danger, intrigue, terrorists and some
Karin
Mar 11, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jaff
It's an interesting twist on the story--Darcy as a secret agent!--but poorly executed. The characters bear only weak resemblance to the Austen characters and are very one-dimensional, especially Jane. And Mr. Bennett. And, well, all of them. It became annoying. The author does Lizzy no justice. We don't get her sparkling wit, though we do get repeated references to her large chest. Read Darcy's dialogue out loud: it's awkward and improbable to imagine that the character described would speak lik ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Unthinkable Triangle: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • A Peculiar Connection
  • He Taught Me to Hope (Darcy and the Young Knight's Quest #1)
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy: An Honourable Man
  • Imperative: A Tale of Pride and Prejudice, Volume 1
  • Ardently: A Pride and Prejudice Variation
  • Promises
  • The Madness of Mr. Darcy
  • Disappointed Hopes (A Fair Prospect, #1)
  • Suddenly Mrs. Darcy
  • Mr. Darcy's Angel of Mercy
  • 1932
Cat Gardiner loves romance and happy endings, history, and comedy. A member of the esteemed National League of American Pen Women and a PAN member of Romance Writers of America, she enjoys writing across the spectrum of the romance genre from Contemporary to Chick-Lit Romantic Comedy, 20th Century Historical Fiction, and Pride and Prejudice-inspired.

Her greatest love is writing Historical Fiction

Conscience (4 books)
  • Guilty Conscience (Conscience #1.5)
  • Without a Conscience (Conscience #2)
  • In Good Conscience (Conscience #3)