Start by marking “John Lennon em Nova York: Os Anos de Revolução” as Want to Read:
John Lennon em Nova York: Os Anos de Revolução

John Lennon em Nova York: Os Anos de Revolução

Biografia única e ilustrada, John Lennon em Nova York revela como foi a pouco conhecida fase pós-Beatles vivida por um dos maiores artistas do século XX. O ativismo político, a evolução musical, a relação com a esposa Yoko Ono e com os antigos companheiros de banda foram alguns dos temas abordados com deliciosas minúcias pelo autor, o jornalista norte-americano James A. ...more
Paperback, , 272 pages
Published July 31st 2015 by Valentina (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about John Lennon em Nova York, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about John Lennon em Nova York

Start your review of John Lennon em Nova York: Os Anos de Revolução
Fred
Dec 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not interested in yet another book about John Lennon. I was quite certain it would be yet another rambling and fawning monument to a musician who was equally talented and, in terms of historical placement, quite lucky. Entire forests have been denuded to publish those books.

Begrudgingly, I opened the front cover and was taken captive by something totally new.
James Mitchell has chosen to focus on the years of Lennon's most public foray into activism.
Not included, thankfully, are the
Andrew
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A professional colleagues son once summarized Frankenstein as Scientist creates a monster, except that the true monster of the story is the scientist himself.

This statement, with a little paraphrase, is the underlying message of James A. Mitchells The Walrus & the Elephants: John Lennons Years of Revolution. The government clarify that to be the Nixon Administration was very concerned about former Beatle John Lennons attempts at activism, as well as his potential influence among the 18-20
Linda
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
REALLY interesting look at a really interesting piece of history, musical-political-social-activist history in particular. Leaves a hippie-loving, musically aware Gen X-er such as myself full of emotions and wondering why I wasn't born a decade earlier. Also? If you don't both respect John Lennon and scoff at our federal bureaucracy after reading this, you either don't really know how to read or you have no soul.
Christopher Fox
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A quick-reading, fast-paced but thorough account of Lennon's role in the counter-culture of the 60's and 70's in America. Included are his and Yoko's musical growth which was integral to that role. The Establishment (Nixon, Hoover et al) do not fare well in this detailed portrait of their vendetta against him. Interesting and engaging stuff.

P.S. If you were a fan of alternative American rock in the late 60's and early 70's, you might remember the group Elephant's Memory (see book title)(John's
Bob
May 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
About halfway thru the book and I'm enjoying it although one small mistake in the book is making me wonder how well researched the whole book is. The authority was talking about Pigpen from the Grateful Dead and he listed him as the drummer and he was the bands keyboardist and vocalist. Like I said enjoying the book but that little mistake has put a damper on that enjoyment
Finished it today like I said a very enjoyable read, very entertaining book. Would recommend it to anyone interested in this
Michele
Feb 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like this book helped bridge what I learned in history in high school to my real life. It was like putting history to a soundtrack that I know and love. I learned a lot and I enjoyed the writing. I felt like there was a good balance between music, art, history, family life, and politics. It was a bit heavy and the last period of his life was glossed over, but I feel like it was the perfect spring board to catch my curiosity.
Michael
Dec 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
John Lennon v the Nixon Administration. A good document on his coming to America / New York and his work with the Elephants Memory band
Rob Adams
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: music
A lot of insights about Lennon's live inthos stage. Vividly written.
Filipe Ramos
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: home, lidos-2017
Relato detalhado da vida de Lennon pós beatles na cidade de Nova York. Desde as lutas pela paz e contra o governo norte-americano até à sua própria luta contra a extradição promovida pelo governo de Nixon. Escrita com referências a muitas personagens da vida de Lennon e por mim desconhecidas que tornou, por vezes, a leitura difícil de acompanhar.
Alex
Sep 24, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Fairly dull. There's another book called Come Together which covers similar subject matter, which is a much more interesting examination of Lennon and radical politics.
Shawn Fairweather
Sep 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free read thanks to Goodreads First Reads!. What we have here is a nice and concise but generalized look at John Lennon's attempt to reestablish himself with newly found backup band Elephants Memory. In the weeks and months that followed, Lennon experienced a gauntlet of obstructions which prevented him from moving out of the Beatles spotlight into his solo music career. This piece touches on his alignment with infamous revolutionaries. his realized paranoia of government monitoring ...more
Aaron Badgley
Jun 13, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books I have read about this time period in Lennon's life. New interviews of people from the period, excellent research and very readable. I really enjoyed this book and learned some new information about Lennon and his fight. Also a good round up of his music from the time.
Edward Sullivan
Revealing biography centering on Lennon's "activist" years in the early 1970s, his musical collaborations with Elephant's Memory, and immigration problems
imlittlebutterfly
Sep 02, 2013
Samantha
Aug 21, 2014
Steve
rated it did not like it
May 30, 2014

• Paul McCartney: The Life
  • The Billionaire Murders: The Mysterious Deaths of Barry and Honey Sherman
  • Solid State: The Story of Abbey Road and the End of the Beatles
  • Them: Adventures with Extremists
  • Grace Will Lead Us Home: The Charleston Church Massacre and the Hard, Inspiring Journey to Forgiveness
  • The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy
  • On The Road (Pé Na Estrada) - Coleção L&PM Pocket (Em Portuguese do Brasil)
  • Still Alice
  • So You've Been Publicly Shamed
  • Voices from Chernobyl: The Oral History of a Nuclear Disaster
  • Jude the Obscure
  • Budapeste
James A. Mitchell is the author of "The Walrus and the Elephants: John Lennon's Years of Revolution" (December 2013, Seven Stories Press); "But for the Grace: Profiles in Peace from a Nation at War" (2009, Mansion Field); "It Was All Right: Mitch Ryder's Life in Music" (2008, Wayne State University Press); and "Applegate: Freedom of the Press in a Small Town (2002, University Press of America). A ...more