Start by marking “An Officer and A Mermaid (Falling in Deep Collection)” as Want to Read:
An Officer and A Mermaid (Falling in Deep Collection)

An Officer and A Mermaid (Falling in Deep Collection)

When a slave uprising threatens the life of Syreena, the daughter of an eighteenth century plantation owner, a servant uses voodoo to transform her into a mermaid. The spell will be only broken when she returns to the beach where it was cast. After three hundred years of swimming, she’s ready to trade fins for legs. The only problem is she can’t find her way home.

Dylan, a
Published July 21st 2015 by Hot Penny Press (first published July 7th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about An Officer and A Mermaid, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Officer and A Mermaid

Elizabeth Mathis
Jul 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed-romance

Dylan, a twenty-first century Coast Guard Officer, has sworn off love for the sea. When a wave throws him overboard, Syreena uses her
Cristi-Lael
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: adult
Like many of the reviewers here on GoodReads, I received this book as part of my Lit-Cube July subscription box, which was mermaid themed. However, unlike many of the reviewers here on GoodReads, I did not like this novella.
It's a short book, being only 131 pages, so I expected there to be very little depth to the story and characters. But the whole thing was just so very flat. I could not become invested in either character or their struggles. There was almost more information given to their ha
J.M. Miller
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a great summer novella that blends past and present. I really enjoyed Syreena's backstory and thought the historical elements were handled nicely, without being overwhelming. With a good mix of romance and cute humor, Dylan and Syreena's connection was fun to read. It's perfect for a day at the beach!
Lauren
Jul 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: litcube
I got this book in a Lit-cube and wasn't sure I'd be into it. It kept me more interested than I thought I would be. I like a book with a little sex appeal that isn't too intense. The ending could have been a little better and there were a few errors in the book. Over all I just enjoyed. It was short and sweet.
Kimberly
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
I got this through my Lit-cube subscription box and I thought it was a super cute summer read! I just wish there would have been a prologue to see how her transition back into the human world went.
Ilah Stoddart
Aug 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great summer read

Loved the story, characters, and the way they all were woven together in a fantasy but realistic tale. Couldn't put it down, glad it was a novella, shorter.
Jessi
3 Stars

Unique. Fun. Flawed.

I was so intrigued in the beginning. The mix of voodoo, mermaids, and a curse was incredibly unique. However, as the story unraveled, it began to feel rushed. The ending...well, it just ended.
Erin Hayes
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun, sweet beach read that is, at times, laugh out loud funny. Well-thought out, and I connected with the characters, particularly the mermaid, Syreena. Also, I was surprised by the amount of research that was interwoven into the story. Edens adds an appendix at the back that shows just how well-thought out it is - from Haitian history to voodoo magic, I never went, "Huh, that doesn't make sense.". Great world building and a hot romance.

Also, it's the perfect length for a quick read,
Summer
Available on Kindle Unlimited.

In the past month, I have read multiple mermaid books and this one really stood out. Instead of being saved, Syreena was the one doing the saving for a change and she wasn't really the damsel in distress. She saved a man from sharks and took care of him by tending to his wounds and feeding him, showing how kickass a woman can be even in a domestic role.

Something that I really loved was Mami Watta was incorporated into the story. The backstory was perfect and Blaire
Jackie
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
The uniqueness of the story can’t compensate for the poor writing. The voodoo, change to a mermaid, live for 200+ years waiting for the perfect love to break the voodoo spell, was a brilliant idea. But the story itself didn't flow well, & the plot was full of holes that detracted from the story (every time it’s mentioned about her change from tail to legs, the time frame changes, at first it’s once a week for a few hours in her legs, then it’s daily for a few hours, then I think it’s till sh ...more
Sirenita
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mermaid-books
There's a ton of typos and mistakes in this book. Not only does this detract from the plot, but it was very rushed.
Robin Hillyer-Miles
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good, quick fish tale

Well written, good plot and storyline, flows well, keeps reader turning pages, characters well developed, and I will recommend to friends!
Kylee
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. I wish they would have wrote more of what happened after they got to the island. Because it ends with her on the beach where it all began. It would be nice to know how she ends up back with the world. But it was a good book.

Overall good book!
Jessica Sanford
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Hughes
Jul 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Justine
Aug 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: litcube
I received this book in my July LitCube and when I saw the cover I rolled my eyes lol. I thought it would be super cheesy. Plus I don't always reach for adult novels when I can read YA. But the premise sounded really cool and I figured it's short so it will be an easy read. I did enjoy the story overall. I wish it was longer and that we would have got more background on the characters. I would have given it more stars but the spelling, grammar and repeat sentences were too much to ignore. I expe ...more
Kristina
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book with my July Lit-Cube.

Again, it was not something I probably would have picked up if it hadn't been in the box, but it may have caught my eye in the right circumstance. The story was okay, but the cover models don't look much like described, while that isn't a big deal, it was something I noticed. Something else I noticed: The amount of typos, missing words, duplicate paragraphs, was astounding.

All that aside, if you're into mermaids and romance novels, I'd recommend this bo
Reader43
Aug 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
The myth and the reality

The dream of a beautiful mermaid that rescues a sailor has origins far In the past. This story has Voodoo mixed into the French Revolution and a time span over 240 years, a twist on the usual story. A Coast Guard career officer meets a French mermaid, changing both of them. He can't go into the water and she has lost her fins. A cute story about an age-old theme.
Brittany
I really wanted to give this 2.5 stars. It's a really interesting storyline, & I enjoyed the historical & mythical bits. The writing was somewhat simplistic, which isn't terrible but the characters definitely could have had more depth. Definitely felt as though the writer is fairly early in her career, but a solid beginning effort. A fun & easy beach read.

*I received this as part of the LitCube subscription box July 2015*
Amy
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I definitely like the concept of this mermaid story. It went from historical to present day. And instead of her starting out as a mermaid, she was transformed into one. This was a good read, but I would love to see more like this with more depth and description and travel a bit farther. I received this book in exchange for my honest opinion.
Elizabeth
Oct 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Quick and Easy Read

I loved the idea of the story and it was certainly quick paced. However, the characters seemed a little shallow to me or perhaps not completely fleshed out. Overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Becky Dirks
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ok

I would give this book five stars if it didn't have so much romance. I thought it was gonna be not as mushy as it was.... I really liked this book though. I wish syreena could have stayed a mermaids..:( good book . I got for free and I really liked it
Amanda
Aug 07, 2015 rated it liked it
recieved this book in my july lit cube. this was a fun cute read. i imagine how it could have turned out if it was a full length novel .
Cathlin