Start by marking “Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life” as Want to Read:
Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life

Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  334 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
From the author of the New York Times bestseller that defined nature-deficit disorder and launched the international children-and-nature movement, Vitamin N (for “nature”) is a complete prescription for connecting with the power and joy of the natural world right now, with 500 activities for children and adults Dozens of inspiring and thought-provoking essays Scores of inf ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Algonquin Books

To ask other readers questions about Vitamin N, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vitamin N

Irene McHugh
If hearing the term nature-deficit disorder concerns you, then this brainstorm book of solutions for integrating more of the outdoors into your life is easy to read for those suggestions that apply to your life, and skim over those sections that don't.

If you want to know more about the research behind nature-deficit disorder, then check out the Research Library at the Children & Nature Network.

Richard Louv has written two other books on this subject as well. Last Child in the Woods: Saving O
Stephanie Moran
Mar 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
This book gives the reader a set of different ideas of how to become engaged with nature. Louv gives multiple examples and ideas but if you have read his book, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder, much of this book is repetitive. I would say if you are just looking for a resource to spark your imagination, this is a good book. He also supplies a multitude of further reading resources to expand his suggestions, which are a great addition.

I took my time with
Rachel Parent
Jan 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
A really wonderful resource.
Andi Gaywood
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book discussing the importance of nature and everything natural in our lives. It explores how we interact with the living world and why it is so beneficial to our health. Although it is mainly aimed at children it can just as easily be applied to adults who are possible lacking vitamin N. I do believe, as touched on in the book, we have an innate desire to be in nature, we are a product of nature and we are amazed by everything natural. A good resource to have for every health pr ...more
Shannon
Nov 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: parenting
while Louv claims this book is for all income levels and dwellers of all kinds of landscapes, this book clearly favors middle and upper class rural or suburban folks. there's nothing wrong with that, but he should be more aware.

that said, I liked the layout of the book. it's super easy to read and you could open to any page and find a decent idea straight away.

I think I might like Louv' s earlier books on this subject more.
Waverly Fitzgerald
May 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: skimmed
This is really a reference book and it's aimed at families exploring nature together. I skimmed it looking for ideas I could share with students in my current Year in Flowers class and found plenty. Also some ideas I want to try out, like taking full moon walks, although the full moon is often hidden behind clouds in Seattle, and taking a picture of the sky every day (I think I would take it at the same time and place, and I can imagine trying to make paintings out of those photos).
Michael Halenar
Clearly I support the message being presented and I loved Last Child in the Woods and the Nature Principal (slightly less), but this book just doesn't need to exist. It just takes the same suggestions from those books and lists them out. It was very repetitive and did not contain any real good breakthrough ideas. Just read Last Child in the Woods and you'll be fine.
Dana Gisser
Feb 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I think for somebody who doesn't work in nature or do much in nature this book would have been great. For me it was a little too basic, I caught myself merely skimming and thinking "yeah duh" a lot while reading. I definitely expected more ideas that I could use in both of my jobs and it unfortunately fell rather short for me.
Jacqueline
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
This book is filled with great activities that you can do with your kids out in nature. A good book for every parent who wants some ideas, as well as camp counselors, youth leaders, teachers, etc. Two thumbs up! I was impressed with how many great ideas there are in here.
Dawn Gallop
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a great little book for reading on ideas and incorporating nature into your life. As a mom to many children it has wonderful reads and simple nature muses to share the outdoors with your children and students.
Adrienne
Mar 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a Goodreads First Reads Giveaway.

“Vitamin N: The Essential Guide to a Nature-Rich Life” was a great read. There are “500 Ways to Enrich Your Family's Health & Happiness,” as stated on the cover. There are ideas in this book for all ages, from infant to adult.
The premise of the book is that we live in a society that has grown away from nature, that we are suffering from what the author has coined “nature-deficit disorder.” The book is full of facts that support
Anna Hargrave
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic, practical actions and activities to increase nature contact in people's lives (especially kids). Highly recommend.
Renee
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
practical ideas to improve your nature experience
Terri Schulz
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book shows so many great ways to get outside with your family.
Rebecca Chambers
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some repetitive info but really great ideas
Aaron
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Book is full of great ideas to help preserve nature and get out doors more!
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Great inspiration for anyone who isn't sold on why Nature is important or how to integrate nature into our ever increasing indoors lifestyle.
Elise
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, nonfiction
This isn't a traditional book as much as it's an extensively annotated suggestion list designed to accompany Louv's better known "Last Child in the Woods". If that book spoke to you on a personal level, this is a great companion piece. You'll find here a wide range of suggestions for a huge variety of living situations which is always nice. I especially liked his flat refusal to vilify technology. He even includes a bunch of ideas for incorporating digital tech in nature-focused explorations.
Shae
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Written by the same author of Last Child in the Woods (a game changer for me), this book is an extension of the best parts: practical suggestions on integrating childhood with nature. My copy is riddled with bookmarks of ideas I want to share with my husband and I'm inspired to create a nature based playground in my backyard.
Diego
Feb 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Vitamin N has many good, but general ideas about how to introduce/further your children's time spent in nature, whether it's in the backyard, local parks, schools, library, etc. It's a good starting point for parents and teachers, who can take note of their favorite ideas/activities from the book, and do additional research to turn them into plans.
Mindy
Apr 20, 2016 added it
Excellent Excellent Excellent! My family loves being outside. We go camping once or twice a year and we are in the woods almost every month (sometimes more, sometimes less)... not to mention all of the outdoor activities in our own backyard. My friend gave me this book as a gift and there are so many great ideas here that I had never heard of. Every family... even those who are fairly active outdoors... can benefit from this book. Not only will you be motivated to go outside with your own kids, ...more
GONZA
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Brilliant book full of suggestion to help your kids and your family in general, not to loose contact with nature with a lot of activities and tips to make nature a concrete part of your life even if you don't have a garden and live in the city.

Libro veramente ben scritto e pieno di suggerimenti per insegnare ai bambini e alla famiglia, in generale, a non perdere il contatto con la natura, con un sacco di attivitá e "trucchi" per fare sí che le piante e gli animale e tutto il mondo naturale facci
Rachel Powell
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great collection of ideas for getting more connected to nature. I read the UK edition, which had a strange mixture of US- and UK-centric recommendations, which at times felt a bit disjointed. If not for that slight criticism, I would have awarded this 5 stars. I am now going to get some highlighters out and highlight the things I do now, and pick out my next steps for action. As a parent (of teenagers, so a lot of the tips were a little late for me) and a teacher, there is much that I can adopt.
KC
Apr 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is great book for anyone who wants to get kids involved in the outdoors; through school, worship, or community. Written by Richard Louv, bestselling author of "Last Child in the Woods: Saving our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder", this book systematically explores all aspects of nature, the outdoors, and children in one comprehensive format. I especially love the section dedicated to libraries and their importance to nature and the community.
Sharon Mensing
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent and practical follow-up to "Last Child in the Woods." Here, Louv skips the philosophy and goes right to ideas the reader can use. It doesn't matter whether you are a parent, a teacher, a community member, or play any other role -- you will find some ideas to make getting out into nature. There are over 500 ideas listed and described, ideas that can be used in any setting from urban, to suburban, to rural.
Nan
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Richard Louv's Last Child in the Woods coined the term "nature-deficit disorder" to describe kids (and adults) who are increasingly prone to screens and staying inside. It painted a dismal picture, but was relatively short on antidotes. This long-awaited companion book makes up for that with 500 (!) ideas for connecting your kids, and yourself, to the natural world. This is a book I'll be recommending to parents.
Susan
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gardening
Everyone should read this book--parents, teachers, librarians, workers in all industries, young and old, healthy and sickly, seriously, everyone. A thorough explanation of why everyone needs to connect with nature, why it is essential for our spiritual, emotional, and physical health. LOTS of ideas for getting outside, especially with children. Lots of resources. Sometimes the lists of things to do can be a bit tedious, but they make for great references as well as jumping off points.
Allison
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Truly enjoyed last child in the woods and this book was just as good. Reinforced some of the ideas shared in last child plus shared numerous unique and creative ideas for involving your children and community in nature activities. My book is highlighted all over the place so I can refer back when the kids and I are ready to do some exploring!
Amy
Mar 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What delight to find a book that is both educational and approachable! It was a treat to read through each section discovering the variety of ways to increase a child's time in nature with strategies and activities for every budget and time frame.

This book was provided as an ARC through NetGalley in return for a fair and honest review.
Ida
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How much time did you spend in nature when you were a child? How many hours spent outside on bikes, in the trees or deep in the mud? Do you remember that time when you didn’t need to worry about falling, bruises and strangers?

Do you remember that want and need of adventure?

Continue to read here...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Wrong summary 2 186 May 10, 2017 07:01PM
  • Balanced and Barefoot: How Unrestricted Outdoor Play Makes for Strong, Confident, and Capable Children
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • It's OK to Go Up the Slide: Renegade Rules for Raising Confident and Creative Kids
  • Sibley's Birding Basics
  • The Case For Make Believe: Saving Play in a Commercialized World
  • The Good School: How Smart Parents Get Their Kids the Education They Deserve
  • The Kids' Outdoor Adventure Book: 448 Great Things to Do in Nature Before You Grow Up
  • Beyond Ecophobia: Reclaiming the Heart in Nature Education (Nature Literacy Series, Vol. 1) (Nature Literacy)
  • The Collapse of Parenting: How We Hurt Our Kids When We Treat Them Like Grown-Ups
  • The Final Forest: The Battle for the Last Great Trees of the Pacific Northwest
  • The Herbalist's Way: The Art and Practice of Healing with Plant Medicines
  • The Soul of Discipline: The Simplicity Parenting Approach to Warm, Firm, and Calm Guidance- From Toddlers to Teens
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals—and Other Forgotten Skills
  • The Selfish Society: How We All Forgot to Love One Another and Made Money Instead
  • Sitting Still Like a Frog: Mindfulness Exercises for Kids (and Their Parents)
  • Noah's Garden: Restoring the Ecology of Our Own Backyards
  • That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life
  • BiblioCraft: The Modern Crafter's Guide to Using Library Resources to Jumpstart Creative Projects
Richard Louv (born 1949) is a journalist and author of books about the connections between family, nature and community. His book, Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder (Algonquin), translated into 9 languages and published in 13 countries, has stimulated an international conversation about the relationship between children and nature.
More about Richard Louv

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • Slouching Towards Bethlehem: Essays
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Put Your Dream to the Test: 10 Questions to Help You See It and Seize It
    $9.49 $2.99
“What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset.” —CROWFOOT, CHIEF OF THE SIKSIKA FIRST NATION, 1890” 0 likes
“In the meantime, relax. Take a break. Look at the clouds. Listen to the wind. Let the birds do the heavy lifting. A” 0 likes