Start by marking “Rock Bottom to Rock Star: Lessons from the Business School of Hard Knocks” as Want to Read:
Rock Bottom to Rock Star: Lessons from the Business School of Hard Knocks

Rock Bottom to Rock Star: Lessons from the Business School of Hard Knocks

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  112 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The New York Times bestselling author of Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain shares the hard-won life lessons and counterintuitive advice they don't teach you in business school.

If you've ever felt unsure of what to do with your life, Ryan Blair can relate. In his first book, Nothing to Lose, Blair shared the brutally honest story of how he went from being an at-risk yout
Published October 4th 2016 by Portfolio (first published March 22nd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Rock Bottom to Rock Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rock Bottom to Rock Star

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Rock Bottom to Rock Star: Lessons from the Business School of Hard Knocks
Warren Paschetto Jr
Jan 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book packed with some great lessons learned from Ryan Blair. He first caught my attention on the School of Greatness podcast with Lewis Howes. This is a very quick read with some very useful advice that can be applied to anyone's life, even if you are not an aspiring entrepreneur.
Trevor Oldham
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Was able to get the book before it launches October 4th. I highly recommend reading. One of the better and more meaningful business books I ever read.
Kelly Zawierucha
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic, fast and relatable read. Not only does Ryan give insightful pointers about his experiences in business, he fully shares his successes and failures. I’m happy he was brave enough to show us his thorns (you’ll get the full meaning when you read the book). I have had setbacks, some successes and am embarking on another transition so this book was good timing. I think living a full life is experiencing the ebbs and flows of Rock Bottom and Rock Star moments. Besides as Ryan poin ...more
Britain
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting book about an interesting guy. I had never heard of Ryan Blair before reading this book and I don’t promote or indorse MLM companies like ViSalus so it’s hard to get through the book for that very reason. Other than Ryan talking about ViSalus what seemed every other sentence, the book was very interesting and gives you great insight on a young CEO’s journey.
Charles Huey
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
I barely could make it through this book. He barely skims the surface of the points he makes. Most of the stories and examples seem to far fetched and it's like he is bragging most of the time. Each chapter just repeats a message that has been said hundreds of times before by better speakers.
Kenneth Dreyer
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading about Ryans journey.
Kevin Calhoun
Jul 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Stared off really good, after chapter 3 it became repetitive and lack specific content.
Nurbek Nurullayev
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is a good book. I like it. I feel pity for the guy
Jessica Power
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love hearing stories of how people have overcome struggle and defeat. Some great points in this book. The story about his mom had me in tears.
Raphael Collazo
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Ok lessons but too self-aggrandizing for my liking.
Tami
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ryan openly shares valuable lessons, tips and insights he's learned from his experience in his personal life and business life. He holds nothing back and shares with a raw and authentic approach.
Listening to the audiobook version felt like listening to a friend share their stories and insights. The information in this book is honest, impactful, inspiring, encouraging and empowering. Ryan's
ability to be vulnerable and real about the truths of his rock bottom and rock star moments have opened the
Karina
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read Ryan Blair's original book, Nothing to Lose, Everything to Gain a while back and enjoyed it, so picked up his latest, Rock Bottom to Rock Star. It did not disappoint.

In his second book, Ryan teaches us all some of what he's learned through trial and error, so that we can all become "rock stars" in whatever we choose. Each chapter is a different tip, told in his very readable and down to earth tone and with anecdotes showing either how he learned this and/or applied it. And although some
Laurie Anderson
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I finished the book and took a few days to take it all in. After reading it, I thought about why the book had ended up in my hands. I have followed Ryan's journey for two years, after reading NTL and having my own Rock Bottom moments. It really helped me change my life for the better. It's because he always seems to find creative ways to overcome adversity. The book is rich and deep, it pulls you through every experience. I realized that the book meant a time for transformation, again. Ryan Blai ...more
Mike You can't see me
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Has some good example of business politics of going public with your company, and how it can be like war. Gives insight if what to protect yourself from. Talks about the differences between a business based entrepreneur and a product based one. Talks about the difficulties of being in an competitive market place. Made me think of the Peter Thiel book zero to one. Also if you have investors you might not be an entrepreneur but really an employee for investors that may talk down to you and want to ...more
Ellen Violette
Jan 06, 2017 rated it liked it
If you're looking for a memoir, it's a great read, but I found the title a little misleading as I expected it to be more of a step-by-step "how to" book.

He certainly lays out the pitfalls of entrepreneurship and how he overcame them, and it's a fast read. But, it sure didn't make me want to follow in his footsteps! Just depends what you are looking for.
Mindy
Nov 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
Some of the business aspects of this book weren't relevant to me and thus, sometimes harder chapters to get through. That said, Ryan is an incredibly inspiring person and having had the chance to meet him, know how kind and humble he truly is.
Tiffany Lynn
Sep 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't finish this book because I thought it did not apply to me. I am so thankful I did! Ryan is open about his life and the lessons he learned. A great read for anyone with an entrepreneurial spirit or a need to overcome.
Marcelo Oleas
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Excellent look inside the true roller coaster ride that being an entrepreneur really is and how Ryan managed the ups and downs (not just in business but also in personal life). A must have for every entrepreneurs library.
Ben Azadi
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ryan Blair's lessons from the business school of hard knocks is quite compelling! I had never heard of him before reading this book. I appreciate his raw honesty in his stories. The story about his mother had me teary eyed. It's a good book, for business lessons, and for life lessons.
James Like
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stellar book with candid stories of failure and triumph. Very easy read and chock full of value.
Bob Meagher
Dec 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Narcissistic Crap

Do no waste your time reading this book, or just as likely flipping through page after page to try and escape the latest BS.
Pete Nikolai
Nov 05, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: business
Insider's perspective on what it takes to make it as a nutrition industry executive and the resulting lifestyle but few practical takeaways for the rest of us...
Jordan
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Be Obsessed or Be Average
  • The 10x Rule: The Only Difference Between Success and Failure
  • High Performance Habits: How Extraordinary People Become That Way
  • Master Your Time, Master Your Life: The Breakthrough System to Get More Results, Faster, in Every Area of Your Life
  • Я, бабушка, Илико и Илларион
  • Hellados
  • The Runaway Species: How Human Creativity Remakes the World
  • 7 Steps to Wealth: The Vital Difference Between Property and Real Estate
  • Everyday Millionaires: How Ordinary People Built Extraordinary Wealth--And How You Can Too
  • Stillness Is the Key
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Smart Money Smart Kids: Raising the Next Generation to Win with Money
  • The 5 Second Rule: Transform Your Life, Work, and Confidence with Everyday Courage
  • Profit First: A Simple System To Transform Any Business From A Cash-Eating Monster To A Money-Making Machine
  • The End of Eternity
  • Murder in Mesopotamia (Hercule Poirot, #14)
  • 6 Months to 6 Figures