Start by marking “Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution” as Want to Read:
Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution

Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution

4.27  ·  Rating details ·  585 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
An empowering road map for rethinking, reinvigorating, and redesigning our cities, from a pioneer in the movement for safer, more livable streets

As New York City’s transportation commissioner, Janette Sadik-Khan managed the seemingly impossible and transformed the streets of one of the world’s greatest, toughest cities into dynamic spaces safe for pedestrians and bikers.
Published March 8th 2016 by Viking (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Streetfight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Streetfight

Erok
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Spending most of my adult life working on the cultural and infrastructure change of our transportation system in Pittsburgh, this book was validating to say the least.

NYC streets, under her reign, changed so dramatically and gave advocates across the country a new way to think and talk about what our cities can be, almost creating a new language. Needless to say her work made everyone else's job much easier by mainstreaming the idea that built environments are meant to be altered and change with
ambyr
Someday, someone will write a book about Sadik-Khan's innovative approach to urban planning that provides a detailed and balanced assessment of both her process and policies. Unfortunately, Sadik-Khan herself isn't interested in writing that book. I fundamentally agree with her philosophy and still found the self-congratulatory tone of this extended "hire me as a consultant!" advertisement grating and the cherry-picked scraps of data this book provides unconvincing. I can't imagine it changing t ...more
Patricia
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read this book in advance of an Urban Milwaukee book club discussion taking place this month. It's a feisty memoir by a NYC transportation commissioner (2007-2013) who led a resurgence of urban street life in NYC by taking anachronistic traffic areas and creating urban plazas and protected bike lanes and by rethinking traffic patterns. She has a lot of interesting things to say about transit and infrastructure too. I am going to be looking at Milwaukee with new eyes after reading this book, tr ...more
Matt
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
While his mayoral reign was by no means perfect, Michael Bloomberg did some cool things over his three terms as Mayor of New York City. Many of these aforementioned low-temperature initiatives made lives easier for pedestrians (car-free plazas and curb islands in busy intersections), bikers (tons of designated bike lanes and a huge bike-sharing program) and even bus riders (select bus service). Janette Sadik-Khan, commissioner of the New York City Department of Transportation from 2007 to 2013, ...more
Ben
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Somehow, Janette Sadik-Khan got me very excited about optimizing urban traffic patterns. I'll never look at an eight lane intersection the same way again.
Jake Davis
This is a relatively digestible retelling of Janette Sadik-Khan's tenure as commissioner of NYC's transportation department. At its best, it offers concrete examples of pushing change through amidst pushback from a vocal minority, as well as some inspiring infrastructure changes committed in NYC. But a lot of the book also doesn't actually offer insight into how, as an advocate, you can cause change in your city.

So if you've been keeping up with transportation for a few years, you might gain a c
Art
“There are new expectations for streets,” writes Janette Sadik-Khan. “Changing the streets is a blood sport. Projects that alter streetscapes upset the people who cling to stability, even if it is unsafe or inefficient.” Change becomes the new norm. And that’s how the author concludes her exciting book.

Ostensibly, this is a book describing how New York City revitalized its streets. Sadik-Khan, however, applies the lessons learned to other cities. After all, many of the ideas used in New York dr
Olaf
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Easy to read memoir-"urban planing for dummies" hybrid, but...

It's hardly an "urban revolution handbook". Not enough details and ideas how to implement changes. It focuses mostly on what was done in NY.

It probably won't convince anyone who isn't already receptive to the idea that maybe we shouldn't focus so much on cars.
Vipassana
This book was a fun, informative read on NYC’s politics but I wish there was more of a counterpoint to many of JSK’s policies.
William Cline
Dec 30, 2015 rated it did not like it
Recommended to William by: Anonymous thoughtful coworker
A light history of the author’s tenure as NYC’s traffic commissioner, plus a little bit of “getting the last word in.” Considering the fallacious outcry she received as thanks for making New York’s streets more functional and humane, I can’t fault Sadik-Khan for wanting to set the record straight. However, despite the subtitle’s promise to serve as a “handbook” for other cities, there’s very little in here that you wouldn't get from reading Streetsblog or the like.
Austin
Sep 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I went in to this book with a huge positive bias because Sadik-Khan is a personal policy hero of mine. She is the person most directly responsible (working of course within a large and talented community) for some amazing transportation changes in New York. This book is the story of these projects, including turning Times Square into a pedestrian mecca, making the city more welcoming for bikes, adding rapid bus lines, and more. I was pleased to find it readable and accessible, and can easily rec ...more
Lauren
Sep 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Urban planning for the 21st century and public spaces are crucial in revitalizing local economies, keeping cities safe and reducing income inequality, so I was intrigued to read about Sadik-Khan's successful implementation of bike lanes, public spaces, pedestrian crossings and public transit in New York City. I wanted to love this book, and parts of it I did, but I had a few issues with it.

Firstly, my interested waned in and out throughout the book. It wasn't until about page 50 that I got into
Terry
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Janette Sadik-Khan is a former commissioner of the New York City Department of Transportation and an advisor on transportation and urban issues.
Thus her book is has lots of stats and anecdotes about NYC
Notes
p.
211 drivers believe more roads can solve traffic congestion, & residents believe signals and stop signs can solve traffic safety problems - both wrong

212-3 slow drivers to speed of life
215 don't be a (bike) jerk NYC video
221 proposal to license/insure bike riders, mandatory helmet law
Nabeel Ahmed
Apr 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a great book for anyone interested in how cities can reshape and transform their streets, shifting away from car-centrism to 'complete streets' that cater to pedestrians, cyclists, transit users, AND drivers. It introduces basic transportation principles such as induced demand that are illustrated with colorful anecdotes from Sadik-Khan's time as transportation commissioner. As she says, if you can do it in New York, you can do it anywhere.

That is not, however, the full story. Sadik-Kha
Sebastian Gebski
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Technically (in terms of writers' craft) it could definitely be better, but this is not the point. The point is all about the content. Janette worked as a transport commissioner for NYC during Bloomberg's cadence & was recognised as a very active & efficient doer whose decisions & completed initiatives have made a big imprint on this city & its citizens. This book is an unique opportunities to learn from her lessons learned - and possible to revamp your way of thinking about your ...more
Cesar
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Steph
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm a local councillor and this book hit really close to home. It was inspiring to see what was possible, and a wonderful source of ideas. At least once I had to stop reading and calm down because I was so angry at the narrow-minded, selfish conservatives who fight so hard in New York, my council in Australia, and around the world to stop good work happening. It was both reassuring and disheartening to see the same lies being pulled out on opposite sides of the globe.

My only criticism of this b
Elizabeth H.
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read to see the huge transformations that Sadik-Khan and her team have brought to New York City during her term as transport commissioner. Many new ideas are explored in some useful detail: reclaiming streetspace dedicated to cars for bicycle or bike lanes, or for islands and other people-centric uses; Select Bus Services; improving the city's failing infrastructure etc. Two important insights gleaned were the importance of having data and statistics to back your campaigns and its effe ...more
Jon
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-planning
If you've never read a modern urban planning book and this is available, read it. It covers the basics of bus, bike, and auto. Know that the title is misleading. This is not a "handbook for urban revolution." It's not a handbook at all. It's simply a list of Janette Sadik-Khan's accomplishments in changing the design of parts of New York. They're big accomplishments, but calling this a handbook is nothing but marketing.

If you have limited time for modern urban planning, read Jeff Speck or Sam S
Jeff Stern
Jul 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sadik-Khan is my new urban planning hero. She is responsible for improving NYC’s bikeways, pedestrian space, and making the city a better and safer place to live. I devoured this book over the weekend, reading in the very places it discussed like in the transformed Broadway squares and alongside the now-blighted 3rd avenue. I carried it with me while peddling my Citi Bike, a transportation option that wouldn’t have existed without Sadik-Khan’s leadership. Sure, being able to personally testify t ...more
Alicia
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I didn't know how I'd feel about this book at first - the beginning parts seemed like they might veer into the territory of "I'm the expert and the public doesn't know what's good for them", but it shifted pretty quickly away from that mindset and more into strategies for working with communities, businesses, and the media to show mutual benefits for transportation alternatives and gaining public buy-in. I really liked how she emphasized using data and pilot projects as a way to win over opposit ...more
melo
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
era da tanto che non mi trovavo a leggere un libro con la matita in mano, studiandoci su, e segnandomi i pezzi migliori, le idee adatte o adattabili a un paesone come il mio.

una lettura che dovrebbero fare tutti quelli che si propongono di cambiare in meglio le nostre città, tecnici o assessori. un'esperienza imprescindibile per poter parlare con un minimo di cognizione di causa sia di trasporti che di spazi pubblici e luoghi comuni. una miniera di idee e di dati concreti da sbattere in faccia a
Sarah Gowanlock
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
While this book doesn’t contain much new information for those following Transportation Alternatives or Streetsblog, it does give a holistic recent history of the dramatic changes ushered in by Sadik-Khan: select bus service, bike lanes, citibike, and major infrastructure projects too. The book also clearly illustrates the data behind why these changes were necessary and gives a glimpse at the projects NYC missed out on because they were considered too radical...hopefully one of her successors w ...more
Börkur Sigurbjörnsson
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban, biographies
I really enjoyed Streetfight: the autobiographical account of Janette Sadik-Khan's time as transportation commissioner for New York City, where she played an important role in the ongoing culture shift of looking at city streets as a means for transporting people rather than merely a means for transporting cars. Although the books falls short of being a handbook, it gives an inspiring set of examples of how streets can be made safer and people friendly.
Moses
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: citizen, civics
Janette Sadik-Khan is an inspiration. I want to run away and become an urban planner. I just visited New York, and I could see her fingerprints over everything as I walked around. Her principles have led New York down the right direction–the streets are getting better every time I go. It's also useful for people who want to get involved to see what kinds of fights planners have to go through, and where local activism can help empower planners to do the right thing.
Oleksandr Zdanevych
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urbanism
Полезная и интересная книга. Современные города должны стремиться стать комфортными для жителей, а не быть бетонными джунглями, пересечённые многополосными проспектами.
Воспоминания автора о изменениях в Нью-Йорке очень интересны и являются живыми доказательствами, как можно изменить не только отдельные перекрестки и площади, а как снова дать людям поверить в то, что большие города могут быть комфортным местом для жизни.
Charles Denison iv
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A must read for those who are interested in how cities can transform their streets from being primarily car-oriented to ones that are safe and accessible for all, including walking, biking, and transit. New York City provides some valuable lessons about how to deal with issues around design, funding, community outreach, and the public relations backlash that can occur initially.
Cathleen
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is an inspiration and instruction manual for anyone who works with city streets or who is curious about the smart usage of one of our greatest urban assets - the vast amount of space used for roadways. Amazing in its revolutionary perspective, simplicity, sustainability, livability, and safety are not far away if we can embrace and implement what is described here.
James Martin
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Janette Sadik-Khan builds on the lessons Jane Jacobs taught us and uses this book to describe the brilliant work she did as Transportation Secretary in the Bloomberg administration in NYC. This book is incredible and will change the way you see transportation, cities, and streets. A must read for any city dweller, young or old.
Eva Markiewicz
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's exciting to have a front row seat to how Sadik Khan and Bloomberg and their team transformed New York City from a car-centric design to a new city aimed at walkability, public transport, increasing mobility for all people, and prototyping and test driving much of it with paint. It's a fast read, every page leaving you hungry for more.
  • Human Transit: How Clearer Thinking about Public Transit Can Enrich Our Communities and Our Lives
  • Fighting Traffic: The Dawn of the Motor Age in the American City
  • Start-Up City: Inspiring Private and Public Entrepreneurship, Getting Projects Done, and Having Fun
  • Wrestling with Moses: How Jane Jacobs Took On New York's Master Builder and Transformed the American City
  • The High Cost of Free Parking
  • The Smart Growth Manual
  • Street Smart: A Fifty-Year Mistake Set Right and the Great Urban Revival
  • The Option of Urbanism: Investing in a New American Dream
  • Cities for People
  • Asphalt Nation: How the Automobile Took Over America and How We Can Take It Back
  • Walkable City: How Downtown Can Save America, One Step at a Time
  • Green Metropolis: What the City Can Teach the Country About True Sustainability
  • City: Rediscovering the Center

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Seabiscuit: An American Legend
  • Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney
  • The Power Of Habit: Why We Do What We Do In Life And Business
    $12.99 $2.99
“If building roads actually resulted in less traffic, then surely after sixty years of interstate highway construction we would all be cruising at highway speed.” 3 likes
“An advanced city is not one where poor people drive cars,” Peñalosa says, “but where rich people take public transportation.” 2 likes