Start by marking “Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra” as Want to Read:
Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra

Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra (Zodiac Starforce #1-4)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  1,506 Ratings  ·  301 Reviews
They're an elite group of teenage girls with magical powers who have sworn to protect our planet against dark creatures . . . as long as they can get out of class! Known as the Zodiac Starforce, these high-school girls aren't just combating math tests. They're also battling monsters--not your typical afterschool activity! But when an evil force from another dimension infec ...more
Published March 9th 2016 by Dark Horse Books

To ask other readers questions about Zodiac Starforce, please sign up.

Morgan Comes out in trade on June 19, 2018 according to Amazon.

Melanie
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
First off, this was nothing short of probably the most adorable graphic novel I’ve ever read. Secondly, I love magical girls, always and forever. Thirdly, I never knew I needed magical zombie girls until now, but it turns out I did. Fourth, the color pallet and art throughout this entire story is beyond words beautiful. And lastly, this showcases how girl friendship can be the most powerful magical force in the world, and I loved this.

Oh, and this is about magical girls who all embrace a differ
Riley
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
I LOVED THIS!
Maddie (Heart Full Of Books)
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This just proves that another magical girl graphic novel can only make your life better. Zodiac Starforce is such a brilliant team because it was formed prior to the comic's beginning. I really liked how this followed a different storyline than most magical girl series, which is like 'let's collect a new member in each comic!' I loved the diversity of the girls, I loved the transformations and the colour palette is so cosmic cute <3

Where's Volume Two???
Alison
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic graphic novel!!!
First of all, the art in this is stunning. I love how bright and happy it feels.
This is probably one of the few "superhero" comics I will ever enjoy, especially because the characters are so relateable and lovable.
Excited to see how the next volume is because I am already OBSESSED.
also, there's a f/f romance that I am LIVING for.
Bee (Heart Full of Books)
Aug 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Liv (Оља)
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, ebook, illustrated
Well this was cutesy.
2,5 stars. Not enough substance for a higher raiting, but it was nice nonetheless. I'll probably be checking out the next volume once it comes out.
Also, I'll be basic and say what everyone else is saying about this- it totally is like Sailor Moon.
Guts Reads
Okay seriously? If you like anything related to Sailor Moon, astrology, or ass kicking, this is the comic for you. Did I mention it's females doing the ass kicking? That's right! This comic is beyond awesome. Paulina's art is so magically colorful that I just want to stare at it for days. Really. Get this comic.
Jillian (bookishandnerdy)
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
i loved every second of this. GOOD LORD GIMME THE NEXT VOLUME!!!
Kayla (BOOKadoodles)
Aug 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Girl power + female friendships + LGBTQ romance + bold and colorful art = when is volume two coming out??
Lainey
Sep 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of those rarities that can back up being marketed as "Buffy meets Sailor Moon."

I really enjoyed the graphic novel and graphic novels aren't really my thing. I really enjoyed that this first volume wasn't the journey of the girls getting their powers. I loved that it started as they had already saved the world two years ago and kind of disbanded, but not circumstances are putting them back together again.

Molly is my favorite for sure.

I read this graphic novel for #Diverseathon because of ho
Jackie B. - Death by Tsundoku
Zodiac Starforce is a wonderful modern rendition of the Magical Girl Warrior trope. A bright, bubbly, action story which defies stereotypes on so many levels. Our quartet of heroines is diverse. The story picks up two years after the Zodiac Starforce girls saved the world and are now trying to just live out their lives. We begin both in the middle of the story and at the start of a new one. Monsters are returning, it seems like the school's mean girl Queen Bee could be more than she appears to b ...more
Cat  (cat-thecatlady)
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
oh gosh, this was so good.

I love magical girl stories and this one was just my cup of tea. the girls are lovely together and I love the lore with the signs. besides, the art is just jaw dropping and I love love love the colour palette. I can't wait to read more.

full review here: https://catshelf.wordpress.com/2017/0...
ALEXA
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Ultimately a fun story of friendship and magic! It definitely had modern day Sailor Moon vibes to me, even though the story is def different.
Lauren
Feb 18, 2018 rated it really liked it

Ahhh, I really enjoyed this graphic novel. It was beautifully illustrated and the colours are SO bright and vivid and rainbow-like (yes, my eyes have turned to hearts)!

ZS is basically an all-female version of Power Rangers whereby we follow the four team members (Emma, Kim, Savanna and Molly) as they try to juggle the pressures of school life with the unexpected arrival of some giant-ass monsters! They also have to battle with Diana (another high-school girl) who's a bit of a bitch and
Ylenia
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Ylenia by: Booktube
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
from my Instagram

#TBRTakeDown 4.0: Most Recent Book Haul.

I'M SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS!!! I don't normally use so many exclamation points but I'm super excited for this!(!!!!!!)
Two weeks ago I didn't know this comic book even existed. Then I saw a Booktube video that featured it and I was like "what is dat thing?!?!?! need dat thing right fucking now". and I got it today thanks to the oh so slow italian post service.

This reminded me of all the old anime television series I watched as a kid: Mag
Victoria ♡
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-un-owned
Okay that was so good!! I'm so excited to read the sequel!

Honestly this might be my favourite magical girl comic now, it's just so wholesome
Christie
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5 Loved the art style & bonus material at the end of this trade. 💕
Maddie
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really cute but kind of confusing. I'm not sure if this was a web comic but I got lost a lot since there was zero back story. But SO CUTE.
Mehsi
I read all the volumes separately, but so it is easier to catalogue + review I have decided to go for this edition which combines all of them.

So, I have been looking forward to reading this one for some time. My twitter feed was full of images and squealing people who loved this series. The art looked amazing, the story looked fun, so after waiting to make sure all 4 were out (so I could go through them in one go), I read them today.

And, *sighs*, I know again why I tend to skip comics. The art i
Miriam
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, graphic-novel
Crosspost: thereadingbelle.com

Zodiac Starforce was kindly provided by Edelweiss. All opinions are my own.

This was review was supposed to get published last week, but I accidentally scheduled it for today. My bad. Ha ha.

What a fantastic graphic novel! If you’re a fan of magical girls like Sailor Moon, you should definitely check Zodiac Starforce. Let me start off with character designs, I love it. I love the “big” hair too. Reminds me of Jem & The Holograms, the animated series and not the m
Lea (drumsofautumn)
Hmm, I don't know. I just couldn't really connect to it. I liked the characters but that's it.
Maria Kramer
This book was just not my style - I've never been a fan of the magical girl when it's played as straight as this is. The characters were very flat, and I felt like I'd been dropped into the volume lacking vital background info.
Tanja Voosen
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
Magic. Monsters. Friendship. Zodiac Powers. Lots of cool stuff! I REALLY liked it!
Tracey S
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked this! Part Jem, part Power Rangers and part Lumberjanes!?
Artemis
‘Zodiac Starforce: By the Power of Astra’

“How is a star formed? It begins with a collapse.”

I have waited for over half a year for this comic to come out in my country. Seems fitting then that the book’s themes orbit around the zodiac star signs - Gemini wins out!

There are many reasons why this was perhaps my most highly anticipated graphic novel to date, whose hype miraculously exceeded my expectations. Mainly it’s because, and this should come as no surprise to anyone who knows me, I love the M
Morgan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This is the type of comic I normally wouldn't admit I'd read, but I ended up liking this more than I thought. Would I recommended this to other, probably not, this isn't everyone cup of tea. How much cuteness and girl power can you handle?

Why am I reading this? Because I actually really like magical girls. There was a thought in my mind that I could end up regretting this based on the fact that it could just be a bunch of randomness, but it actually has a decent story. You have 4 (to start with)
Helen
The artwork in this is absolutely stunning. The drawings, the characters, the outfits - everything is perfect! And the colours! Bright and bold and an almost dreamy mix of pinks and purples, yet it's still vibrant.

This would probably be a four-star rating just because it's so lovely to look at! Luckily the story and the dialogue lives up to the artwork. It seems very influenced by Sailor Moon. There are extras in the back and one of them is a one-page story with the characters in uniforms that l
Alex Sarll
Picked up in the belief it was something else entirely - a different magical girl team comic where the magic hits the wrong people, so one of them is a goldfish and another is a little old lady? - and frankly not something I have the hinterland to assess. When I read a superhero pastiche such as X-Men '92 and wonder how it would feel to a reader without awareness of the tropes it's playing on? Here, I am that reader. My understanding of Sailor Moon is limited to a couple of images and .gifs I've ...more
Marius Paulsen (Antari-kun)
not really my cup of tea, kinda feel like i did not feel interested and it was boring and nothing new. sorry guys
LynnDee (The Library Lush)
I liked the artwork but there was nothing exceptional about the story or the writing. Felt like it was trying too hard, tbh.
The Mary Sue Book...: August: Zodiac Starforce 8 20 Sep 26, 2016 12:36PM
  • Valor
  • Jem and the Holograms Vol. 1: Showtime (Jem and the Holograms #1)
  • Lumberjanes, Vol. 4: Out of Time
  • Black Canary, Volume 1: Kicking and Screaming
  • Princess Mermaid
  • Gotham Academy, Vol. 2: Calamity
  • Wayward, Vol. 1: String Theory
  • Whispers of Doubt (W.I.T.C.H. Chapter Books, #20)
  • Rocket Girl Volume 1: Times Squared

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• The Lathe of Heaven
    $7.99 $3.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
  • Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
    $9.99 $1.99
  • King of Thieves
  • Area 51 (Area 51, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth Strike (Star Carrier, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Parable of the Sower (Earthseed)
    $17.99 $2.99
  • The Mission (Area 51, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mongoliad (The Mongoliad Cycle Book 1)
  • The Fourteenth Goldfish
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Extinction Point (Extinction Point, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Perfection (Finding Paradise #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Gates of Thread and Stone (Gates of Thread and Stone #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Earth & Sky (Earth & Sky, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Sphinx (Area 51, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Rewinder (Rewinder Series Book 1)
  • Master of Formalities
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Grail (Area 51, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Falconer (The Falconer, #1)
    $7.99 $0.99
  • The Eighth Guardian (Annum Guard, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Excalibur (Area 51, #6)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Into the Black (Odyssey One, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fate of Devotion (Finding Paradise, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Points of Impact (Frontlines #6)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Shadows (The Fianna Trilogy, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Dystopia Chronicles (Atopia, #2)
  • The Guardian Herd: Starfire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
  • Once Was a Time
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Truth (Area 51, #7)
  • The Bird Eater
  • Ruined
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Exo (Exo #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Nosferatu (Area 51, #8)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poor Man's Fight (Poor Man's Fight, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Abby in Wonderland (Whatever After, #10.5)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Palace Job (Rogues of the Republic #1)
  • Slaughterhouse-Five
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Oddfits
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Imago (Xenogenesis, #3)
    $6.99 $1.99