Start by marking “My New Mom & Me” as Want to Read:
My New Mom & Me

My New Mom & Me

Here is a heartwarming and completely accessible story about adoption, diversity, and acceptance. Told from the point of view of a puppy who is adopted by a cat, this gentle and reassuring tale is perfect for very young readers and listeners.

When the puppy comes to live with his new mom, he is nervous. After all, his mom has stripes and he doesn’t. But his mom says she li
Published March 22nd 2016 by Schwartz & Wade (first published February 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about My New Mom & Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My New Mom & Me

ElphaReads
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
Here's a tip. Don't read this one at the public service desk if you don't want to be weeping and desperately trying to hide it.
Karin
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet sweet story about a puppy who gets adopted by a Mama cat. Both have to get used to each other and it's not always easy. Topics covered in this books are adoption, single parent families, and diversity. I love the line, "Mom is learning how to be a mom and I'm learning how to be Mom's kid." I like that the book highlights that it isn't only the kids who has to learn in this situation.
Garrett
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: story-time
There's a lot of retrospect storyline that is missing here.

WHY WAS THAT DOG LIVING WITH THAT CAT?! WHERE WAS HIS NEW DAD AND/OR NEW OTHER MOM?! ARE THEY RELATED OR IS IT JUST A STRAIGHT ADOPTION?! WHAT IS HAPPENING HERE?!

But it's sweet, so who cares about background reading, right?
orangerful
Apr 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
For a short little picture book, this packs a lot of emotional punch. Great for a family with an adopted child who doesn't look like them. Sweet, gentle and simple enough for a young child to understand and enjoy it.
Htrain
Sep 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
A cute little story about adoption and families looking different but still being a family.
Anita
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It almost made me cry at work.
Elizabeth Willis
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Majestic feline mother teaches her adopted puppy-child the true meaning of family. This story of unconditional love paired with lovely, warm illustrations will make you shed happy tears.
Holly
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
My New Mom and Me gives me so much hope for the future of adoption, fostering, and "different" ways a family is made. This book gives such a beautiful look into a family where the child, a dog, does not look or seem like the mother, who is a cat. I love how this book uses animals to explain such a complex concept like adoption, and love despite differences. I would use this book as a read aloud for all elementary grade levels, as even in older students it can spark important discussions of what ...more
Paul
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit, family
It's pretty clear this is an adoption situation, and Galindo captures the emotions and experiences that come with such a big change. A cat adopting a dog perhaps illustrates the feeling of foreignness the child might experience. I don't know if it matters that it is a single-parent family, but that is certainly a reality today. My least-favorite line is, "But Mom promises me we'll be okay. She says that if we just try a little harder, tomorrow will be better." The best illustration is of the sma ...more
Heidi-Marie
Not sure how this book came to my attention, but I put it on hold. It's more related to adoption, but I think this is a great one to go with a stepmother, too. Especially my situation with my stepkids, as they came to a new home, we don't look alike, I am learning to be a mom. Even showed them cooking together which I have done with both kids.

3/25/18 We only read it with SD for a bedtime book, but she liked it. She immediately saw how it related to me. And I referred to it the next day when we
Maria
As others have mentioned, this is a very sweet book that talks about adoption, acceptance, and diversity in a very simple and easy to understand way. When Momma Cat adopts (or brings home) her new baby (dog), there is a lot of uneasiness from both ends. This could also be a good book for those in foster care. Momma Cat does everything a mom is to do, and knows just what to say to make her new baby understand and feel accepted.
Tina Cerami
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"Mom is learning how to be my mom, and I am learning how to be Mom's kid. We are learning how to be family." Theses the story of a dog that gets adopted by a cat and how they are adjusting to the situation. They don't look like each other, and sometimes the mom has to yell, but they are learning how to become family. I think this is a nice way of throwing adoption into a story, as this can be relatable to many children.
Jill
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I use this in a family-themed storytime. It is great for showing young kids that families come in all shapes and sizes and that you don't have to look like your parent to be loved and be part of a wonderful family. This is a story of adoption and tells the story of a child and new mom getting to know each other and learning how to be a family. It's really lovely. I would definitely recommend including it in your booklists!
Jaimie
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful way to teach about being different. It displays a different type of family. The mother is a cat and the child is a dog. This would be a wonderful story to read to someone that is adopted. It was short and sweet. When I read it in my classroom, the whole class loved it. We were able to have a great conversation about diversity.
Alexis Bell
This book is a good book. It’s about a puppy who’s new mom is a cat. The puppy is nervous about not fitting in with everyone else, so the puppy paints strips on itself. The mom washes it off to let the puppy know that it’s ok to be different. I love the way this story is told and it would be a good book to use with children who are adopted.
Juli
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t-l-307
Fantasy - 2016

Really sweet book about a cat who adopts a puppy and their journey to learning how to be a good mom and child. This book promotes family and diversity and would be a great read aloud in primary grades or for a family themed unit.
Victoria
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
In my Family Storytime I want to showcase a range of different types of families. This one is great. It's about a Cat that adopts a little puppy. Becoming a family is not easy but with patience and a lot of love they learn how to be a good mom and a how to be "mom's kid."
Collin A
this book takes two pets that you wouldnt always thing about putting together and making an adoption out of it. I think this is good for all kids who are adopted or not. To see that it is okay to look different than their adoptive parents, this does not mean they will love you different or any less. I want to get this book for my house.
Rene
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this and it was cute
Alyssa Gudenburr
A great story about being an adopted child told through animals. It is a little on the long side but would make a good first book for storytime.
Manika
3.5 lovely warm picture book about acceptance.
Alyssa Tabor
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Always a sucker for an adoption story.
Abby
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So simple, and yet so powerful. Read it with a kleenex in hand.
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A sweet and important story about adoption/foster care.
Roseanne
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Having a sib who's adopted, and having numerous step parents, this book really resonated with me, and I'm sure with others as well. Wonderful!
Jessica
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sweet and sensitive book - and much needed for families who have adopted or fostered.
Betsey Brannen
Lovely adoption story. Could also be used for a family where a stepmother plays a significant role in the child's life.
Jennifer B.
Apr 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a sweet and tender book. Perfect for families with an "older" adopted child.
Mary
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mothers, picture-book
Galindo has created s a comforting picture book about a Mama cat who adopts a puppy. This is a lovely adoption story which tells a bigger, heartfelt, story about acceptance and family.
  • Stella Brings the Family
  • Families, Families, Families!
  • Freedom in Congo Square