Start by marking “Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter” as Want to Read:
Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter

Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter

“I want you to take every step of your life with excitement for where you are headed. And I want you to feel beautiful and confident as you do.” But how? When the enemy whispers lies that you are not smart enough, pretty enough, or rich enough? Or you are too dumb, too loud, too quiet, too thin, too fat, too much or not enough? What if you don’t have what it takes to be wh ...more
Published April 5th 2016 by B Books (first published April 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Lovely, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Lovely

Becki Campbell
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
There is something beautiful about a “Me Too” book. The type of book where the author shares bits and pieces of her heart, her struggles, and walk with the Lord in a way where you can’t help but nod your head in complete agreement. Looking for Lovely is that type of book.

Annie Downs allows us to walk along side her as she processes one of the darkest moments in her life. Sharing how God lovingly unearthed destructive thought patterns, lifestyle choices, and deep hurt and by exposing them to the
Joan
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
Downs takes us through many of her life experiences. She is a different person today, she writes, because of suffering and the transformation that followed. She explains how she found beauty in the mundane, collecting moments that matter. She encourages us to do the same.

For this senior citizen, this is a book that did not grab me. Downs rambles through her life, writing about many of her experiences. We read about her being overweight as a child, about the TV programs she liked to watch, about
Stefanie Kellum
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christianity
Add Annie Downs to the list of Christian authors who have obviously walked around in my mind and heart. (See also Niequist, Shauna and Bessey, Sarah). One day in Heaven, I just know we're all going to form an all-girl praise rock band. You just wait and see. ;) Seriously though, this is another one of those books that came along exactly when I needed it, and I'm hoping to look for lovely in my own life and find glimpses of Jesus along the way. Thanks for this one, Annie. Brava.
Andrea Cox
by Andrea Renee Cox

This was an amazing workbook (along with the video package I had to purchase separately). A few times, it didn't go as deep as I expected it to, but overall, it was a delightful Bible study that helps a person shift their focus to what really matters: God's faithfulness.

I hope Annie F. Downs does more Bible studies over the coming years. She's so easy to listen to in the videos, and her voice comes out in the writing too. She seems to truly care about God and her readers/viewe
Brooke
Jun 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Annie F Downs has an informal writing style. At times her thoughts seemed disjointed or fractured but you can switch gears with her a little easier when you get use to her writing style. She has a very friendly and honest voice but at times her descriptions are vague or over generalized, & sometimes her overly friendly chit chatty voice impedes the content of her message. It seems confusing and forces you to reread parts because of the awkward wording.

I did appreciate some of her stories mo
Melissa
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book spoke to my heart in so many ways. It was truly a gift from God to listen to Annie read this book to me in the audio version and speak to my broken places. This book is exactly what I needed at this exact moment in my life. Now on to find more Annie books because this girl can write and I need to read all her books now!!!
Jamie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
4.5

You know those books that hit you right when and where you need it? I can definitely say that about Annie’s newest release Looking for Lovely. Refreshing and inspiring, I was so encouraged by this book!

“I saw God in those sushi rolls. I saw how He is a God who puts everything in its right place.”

I really loved the reminder that we can see God in the little things. Through Annie’s sometimes funny, sometimes serious, all the time interesting stories, this truth came alive with Annie’s words.

I
Katie M.  Reid
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful and honest book about fighting for beauty among brokenness. Annie Downs bravely invites us into her real life—her joys, her struggles, her hangups, and her hangouts—as she searches for the loveliness in everyday life. This book made me want to visit Annie's stomping grounds, of Nashville, and yet also uncover my own collection of lovely right where I live too. I finished this book in just a few days because it was captivating, inspiring and authentic.

*I received an advanced
Skyeler
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
There were many parts I enjoyed, and I liked the essence of the book. We sometimes need to take a step back and look for the lovely. But I found the author a bit more liberal than myself, and there was perhaps a bit too much disagreement to thoroughly love this book.
Princessdarcy
This was a sweet little book that reminds you to look at the beauty in the every day. I did find it a bit privileged - it WOULD be great if we could all go to sleep in our beds with the blinds up so it's dark in the room at night and we can rise with the sun but MOST of us don't live on an acreage or anywhere that putting the blinds up at night would result in nothing more than it being awfully bright when one is trying to sleep.

I also didn't really appreciate the constant 'friend name dropping'
Stacy
Jan 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I honestly could not find a flow or meaning to this book. It felt like she was rambling on and had 20 different ideas in her head. I just finished a great book that walked thru the 5 Habits of Women that was a great study of Ruth. Picking up this book was such a watered down disappointment that I can't even waste my time to finish it. Sorry but this book is definitely one I recommend you just skip!
Lori
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So glad I have my own copy of this book. It's one that I will read over and over. Trying to find the lovely even when life is hard can be so difficult. It's one that I will pass on to my friends who are struggling with their own "broken crazy" and if you read this you will get what I'm talking about. I hope you find some lovely in your day!
Tina
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was ok
I finished the book thinking if she can get a book published then so can I. This a memoir of random experiences with some spiritual epiphanies. It's a sweet book and a light read at best. If I had one message to give the author it would be, "go deeper Annie."
Abby
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016, favorites
Annie does it again! With humor, real life stories and meaningful observations Annie will make you feel like you're on a coffee date. Each chapter has reflection and simple everyday challenges to help you capture lovely in your life if only you'll look for it.
Jenny
Feb 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Annie Downs writes of her search to find beauty even during challenging times, to collect the moments that allow her to experience serenity and joy ... and to hopefully help her readers do the same. She shares many of her personal challenges and how they have shaped her. And at the end of most chapters, she gives a specific challenge to "look for lovely". Some of the challenges include getting up early to watch the sunrise, visit a place in your town that speaks to your soul, pause and take a br ...more
Becky
Jul 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed listening to this book on audio as Downs is the reader. I give it a solid 3 or 3 1/2 ⭐’s. She shares her life story w many real life examples. Downs writes descriptively and with humor. It does feel like she’s talking to you over coffee. She uses scripture and encourages the reader at the end of each chapter w practical ways to look for lovely. As the book ends she points us to Christ which I appreciate. Good one to listen to if you enjoy audio books. ...more
Becca Sue
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annie Downs has a way of pulling you in with her wit, charm and love for the Lord. This was a great read! I loved all her personal stories that were woven into the message. She has a way of making a connection with you as if you were sitting across from her having coffee!
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful. So real and relatable.
Deanna Drogan
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Annie came to speak at Liberty a few years ago and I absolutely loved every second of it! My friends and I were in tears by the end. I would recommend ready any piece of content she writes! She writes and speaks with such authenticity.
Alexis Polk
Oct 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good read! Really makes you appreciate every aspect of your life the good and the bad and appreciate it. Each moment that happens no matter good or bad happens for a reason really enjoyed this!
Donna Lloyd
Jul 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Several life lessons were emphasized: count our blessings each day, persevere, take time for important people in your life, look for the beauty that surrounds you. don't quit just push the pause button until you have the will and strength to finish. A unique uplifting way a sharing those reminders.
Sam Villeneuve
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Annie does a really amazing job describing how she looks for Lovely. Her writing makes you feel you are right next to her experiencing everything too. My only wish is that she would have gone a little deeper. The book wasn’t fluffy but it wasn’t deep. It was a light and quick read that gave me a lot to think about.
Jessica Wilkins
Apr 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was just what I needed.. A beautiful book about looking for the lovely in our everyday. Annie F Downs is real and vulnerable and funny and wise and the kind of woman who I need to become friends with! It felt a lot like a conversation over a good meal and like another reviewer mentioned.. so often I found myself saying "me too!"
I definitely found the lovely in this book!
Carrie Kann
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I love me some Annie.
Emily
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-faith
Do you ever have those moments where you can just tell that there's a book that God really wants you to read?
Because I do. And this book was definitely one of them.
I'd been wanting to read it for awhile now (the title is delightful and the word "lovely" drew me in, admittedly), and finally bought it a week ago. I was sitting in Starbucks not thirty minutes later, journaling and reading my Bible with Looking For Lovely on the table, waiting for me to pick up, and before I could even begin reading
Pattie
Feb 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2016
Annie F. Downs is probably one of the most conversational writers I've ever read. Internal monologue? Check. Questions? Check. Answers? Sometimes in the form of more questions. Check.

Enter her latest book, "Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter."

"Looking for Lovely" sounded like a great book for me. Collecting moments? Yes. Loveliness everywhere? Yes, please. I'm still in awe that not only did my copy of the book come in an envelope complete with party confetti, it's signed by t
Mary Lou
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
Looking for Lovely by Annie Downs is written in a conversational, diary-like style in which the author shares the principles that have helped her move from being “broken crazy” to finding “the lovely” in life in the midst of pain. She is an emotional woman who writes openly about her feelings and her journey, confident that her experience will resonate with many other younger women. The excessive emotionalism, however, seen in frequent word choices like “I was an absolute wreck…The writing pace ...more
Becky
Looking for Lovely was a quick and (mostly) enjoyable read. It is a personal narrative of a young, single Christian woman. (I see it as a polished form of stream of consciousness; it is organized not random, but, it's almost an uncensored look at a woman's private thoughts.) If the book has spiritual insights to pass along, it is probably in the showing and not telling. In other words, that she is--that we all are--works in progress; that we all struggle with ups and downs, good days and bad day ...more
Caitlyn
Jun 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own, 2016, favorites
I want to buy mass quantities of this book and hand it out to everyone I know. I love, love, love this book. Non-Fiction books are always difficult for me to get in to and then actually finish. I just find myself missing a plot or some characters, needing a touch of conflict and resolution. Annie, however, became my friend in the very first chapter. Her writing style and her voice were so relatable and I found her verbalizing my own struggles in a way no one ever has before. I marked this book u ...more
Rachel A.  Dawson
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-rad-reads, faith
This was one I saw RAVED about all over social media, and it came to our lovely book corner at work, so I snagged it. As far as books by Christian women go, this is one I actually liked, but it still didn't blow me away. I don't know what it is about books by Christian women, but usually I find them icky or shallow, but this one wasn't either of those things. It was a refreshing read, a fun read, and Annie wrote like a real friend, which I really liked. I'm all about choosing joy and choosing gr ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Steadfast Love: The Response of God to the Cries of Our Heart
  • She Reads Truth: Holding Tight to Permanent in a World That's Passing Away
  • Play with Fire: Discovering Fierce Faith, Unquenchable Passion, and a Life-Giving God
  • Giddy Up, Eunice: Because Women Need Each Other
  • I Don't Wait Anymore: Letting Go of Expectations and Grasping God's Adventure for You
  • You Are Free: Be Who You Already Are
  • Nothing to Prove: Why We Can Stop Trying So Hard
  • English Lessons: The Crooked Path of Growing Toward Faith
  • The Listening Life: Embracing Attentiveness in a World of Distraction
  • Coming Clean:  A Story of Faith
Annie F. Downs is an author, blogger, and speaker based in Nashville, Tennessee. Flawed but funny, she uses her writing to highlight the everyday goodness of a real and present God.

An author of three books-  Let's All Be Brave Perfectly Unique , and  Speak Love , Annie also loves traveling around the country speaking to young women, college students, and adults.

Read more at anniefdowns.com  a
“I love when the darkness ends, don't you? Maybe that's the whole thing. Maybe I find so much breath taking beauty in the sunrise not so much because of what is starting, but more because of what it signals has ended.” 6 likes
“... to pause is to win & to rest can actually be part of the victory.” 3 likes