Start by marking “The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld, #12)” as Want to Read:
The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld, #12)

The Darkest Torment (Lords of the Underworld #12)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  5,193 Ratings  ·  582 Reviews
Can Beauty tame her Beast?

Driven to his death by the demon of Distrust, Baden spent centuries in purgatory. Now he's back, but at what cost? Bound to the king of the underworld, an even darker force, he's unable to withstand the touch of another and he's quickly devolving into a heartless assassin with an uncontrollable temper. Things only get worse when a mission goes
Published May 31st 2016 by Harlequin HQN

To ask other readers questions about The Darkest Torment, please sign up.
♥ℳelody And this is the issue I have with this. Did Gena say this recently? Love/hate a couple, the author cannot tease readers through 12 books then turn…moreAnd this is the issue I have with this. Did Gena say this recently? Love/hate a couple, the author cannot tease readers through 12 books then turn around and start to drop hints you changed your mind. I gave up hoping Showalter was serious about pairing them up until I found out she gushed about 'Gilliam' and give them a squish name early on in the series. It's giving readers false hope and I don't like that. Yes not everyone wants William and Gilly together, but some do. *shrugs* Why some get so buthurt and act nearly offended & antagonistic over this I will never understand. I am one of the few who loved the idea of them together. And to those saying they want William with a 'real woman' who's mature, this honestly blows my mind since the majority of 'adult' heroines Gena has been writing in this series are bratty and juvenile and talk like valley girls. No shade whatsoever, that's just how I see them. So I don't see how Gilly is any different or worse IMO. Gena writes human heroines in LOTU far better than her immortal ones. Besides Anya (who is starting to wear me out) & Olivia who has worked?? I would rather spork my eye out than read about William getting paired up with another Keeley or Taliyah the Harpee. No thanks. (less)
Andrea26 I think I'm the only one happy with Gilly's current status. She's fine with her new partner and William wants me to have her romance with the Ice…moreI think I'm the only one happy with Gilly's current status. She's fine with her new partner and William wants me to have her romance with the Ice Queen.(less)

♥ℳelody
**Warning: This review will be quite ranty and looooong. Effie, brace yourself! Die-hard LOTU fans look away. And no I didn't rate this down because I wasn't happy that this character got his book before others. I don't have time for dat nonsense.**

What to say?

Pretty much wanted to hurl this to the wall.

This used to be such an amazing series. The LOTU series was my very first PR series, it introduced me to everything fearsome, edgey, sexy, badass, naughty, hilarious Immortal warriors. So these
Lucy Qhuay
Jun 28, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: need-you-now

28th June, 2015

Baden. Really?

Where's my GILLIAM? How much longer will I have to wait? Seriously, I'm dying here. -.-

Not that I didn't want Baden's story. I just wasn't expecting him. To tell you the truth, I was expecting Cameo and Lazarus, even though I hoped Gena would put us all out of our misery and give us Gilliam. I guess it wasn't meant to be.

I'm guessing Baden and Pandora? *speculates*
DNF @ 75%

I'm standing on the bus, trying to read this book on my way to work but it will just not happen.

I don't know what's going on with Gena. I don't knlw if she's tried of writing these books or if she's given up on this series but the last 3 books have been a nightmare. A very boring nightmare.

I'm not saying this because I didn't care about Baden, no. I'm saying this because the plot has been stretched out to the extreme and it doesn't make sense anymore. What are those books adding
Eda** # Dax Lahn's Golden Tigress  #

** 3-3.5 STARS **

“You may be able to survive the world without me, but I can't survive the world without you. We can't. You keep us calm. You are our home.”

description

Firstly, uhm...I hate the cover. This is NOT how I've pictured Baden in my mind...AT ALL!!! Myyyyyyy Baden is this guy right freakin' here!

description

Secondly, this book was so...uhm...average. Baden was just meh, and Katarina was one of my least favourite heroines ever in this amazing series. The storyline started out okay, and went downhill from
Jessica
Jul 01, 2015 rated it did not like it
NO NO NO NO NO and NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! THIS IS SO NOT £UCKING HAPPENING!!!

I was so looking forward to Lazarus or William or Galen story, which ever works, I'm more than o.k., but Baden???? SERIOUSLY????

One year, one book . . . and a whole lot of:

I need comfort for my another-£ucking-year-waiting:

1 star, big disappointment!

◊♦ Naomi
So good. Absolutely loved it! Gena did it again. I've missed the Lords and that unique and amazing universe Gena created. Baden won't disappoint you, I promise! You will adore him and Katarina. I do believe everyone will find what they're looking for in The Darkest Torment. I know, I totally did.
"You may be able to survive the world without me, but I can't survive the world without you. We can't. You keep us calm. You are our home."
And, don't fret, our favorite non-couple—Gillian and Willy aka
☆★Tinja★✮ A Court of Pizza and Laziness
That's it!!! I can't take anymore. I'm putting this series on hold till the day William's book is released. I've been fucking rooting for Team Gilliam since the beginning and I'm going to be soooo pissed if they don't happen. I don't think anyone gives a rats ass about that but I'm just going to complain here anyway. William is my ultimate favorite character and when he met Gilly, it was all like ''He couldn't take his eyes off her, her body and face are perfection to him and nobody is there for ...more
Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-»

RATING: 3-3.5 "Glamour girl & Beast" Hearts!! :)

The Darkest Torment is admittedly not the best LotU addition, yet it is no less enjoyable. Baden is the highlight of this book. He is all alpha, gruff and I love every scene of his. We also get to see previous Lords and their respective mates make an appearance, and they are their usual hilarious selves. The family bond is superbly developed.

The reservations with this come from the plot, which felt stagnant. I felt as if there was no direction
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: series readers that want to know what's going on with Willy & Gilly!
Shelves: read-in-2016
3.5 ★'s

To be honest, I just wasn't crazy about reading this book and it really has nothing to do with Baden and Katarina. It's just the series has gotten to be sooo long and the character's books that we really want to read just keep getting pushed back. Understandable but still.

It wasn't until my GR's friend, Lynsey, told me about all the crazy stuff going on with William and Gilly that I HAD to read it to see what in the hell was going on!

And as shocking as that all was and with every int
Sophia Triad
Baden: Formerly Demon of Distrust, Currently Demon of Destruction
Butterfly: on his chest
His curse: Well, he was dead for most books of the series. He was dead and without a demon even before the Lords started getting mating one by one. When he came back from the dead, he had no demon, i.e. we really do not know much about his suffering. We only learned that he really wanted to die before he died. Distrust also caused his hair to catch fire.

Katarina Joelle or Rina: Harmless human until (view spoi
Scholar
Aug 02, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
AFTER READING:

SPOILERS AHEAD, BE WARNED!

In my opinion, this book was not very good. The only highlights worth mentioning are scenes with Fox and Taliyah. The so called twist with Gillian was uninteresting and desperate. William was shallow and full of masochism throughout the entire book. Pukinn and Pandora were mysterious and that made them semi interesing. "Story of Baden & Katarina" was an old, boring and recycled storyline with the lamest antagonist ever - Aleksander. I did not like this
Alex is The Romance Fox
The Darkest Torment, the 12th book in Gena Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld paranormal Series is the story of Baden, the Lord of Destruction and Katarina Joelle, a dog trainer.

Baden kidnaps Katarina in the bid to win his freedom from the god of the underworld.

This book just did not do it for me. I struggled to finish it.

The storyline was all over the place.

Katarina is so uninteresting and Baden....well, he and she did not endear themselves to me.

Even meeting up with characters from the previ
Natalie The Biblioholic
Okay. So I'm warning y'all right now... this may be one of my longest reviews yet! Why? Oh, because this book had so many interesting pieces that I couldn't even competently piece together anything resembling a concise review, so... Here goes!!

Katarina: I liked the girl well enough until around the 74% mark and then she pissed me off. There were many moments throughout the story in which she showed immaturity but this one time took the fcking cake! Now, her introduction to the story was intere
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
Finally I finished this! I can't believe I'm giving this book the lowest rating since I first started the series, but based in the time it took me to finish this, I could not give more stars.

I think the stories are being repetitive and they're offering nothing new to me. Is Gena becoming more lazy with every book she writes? I'm not feeling the appeal anymore. I used to love these demons and their mates and stories. Now they seem too boring. Paris's story was the last that I liked. From Kane to
Shawna
1 star - Paranormal/UF Romance

This was so disappointing, and to say I’m unhappy with the direction GS took with Gillian’s character would be an understatement. I just want William's book, but I'm not sure if I can continue on with the series anymore to get it, especially considering the frustrating tailspin this took for fans like me who want (view spoiler)
Alyssa

Publisher: Harlequin HQN
Publication Date: May 31, 2016
Rating: 4 stars
Source: eARC from NetGalley

***Warning: this is an adult book, and for the eyes of mature readers***

Summary (from Goodreads):

Jo
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 4-5-stars, gr2016, mine
“The more evil you do, the more evil you are.”

Once again Gena Showalter has proven why I love her books and this series!! When I found out the next LOTU book was going to be Baden’s book, to say I was disappointed would be an understatement as all I’ve been wishing for is Cameo and Lazarus’ book. But once I started reading this book, I could totally see why Baden’s story just had to be told.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

Baden was such a damaged hero, who couldn’t stand the touch of others, as it

Mina
Jul 10, 2015 marked it as to-read
Baden?? I'm all for his book but about poor CAMEO?? She's be miserable for so long... What about William & Gilly? Been waiting years for their story! Galen & Legion? I thought those couples would have books before him. If it keeps going 1 LotU per year... I assume Baden getting with Pandora right?
Angie
Sep 15, 2015 rated it did not like it
So....we are having to wait longer and longer for new LOTU books. The last book was released in November 2014, for crying out loud. It's now a year and a half between books....Not only this, but we're waiting this eternity for Baden's story? BADEN?? Who cares about him, and when in the hell are we going to get William's book?! I would even be thrilled with Galen or Cameo's book, but BADEN?! Ugh, so disappointed Gena. Bad choice, bad choice.

HERE COMES A BIT OF A RANT!
Overall, Gena seems to have
Michelle
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo 0c9d531416818a01e503a12a2355e8_zpstetl8fsn.gif

I know many people are probably screaming and wondering why the latest installment to the Lords of the Underworld happens to focus on Baden. I happen to be in the few minority of people who was excited that it was Baden and I knew I couldn’t wait to get my hands on The Darkest Torment.

Gena Showalter once again proves to loyal PNR fans on why we need to read her books. Ms. Showalter not only gave readers a story to get lost in but she del
Ivy Deluca
description
-The word of the day is familiar. From characters to plot, from crazy heroines to tortured heroes, everything in this book is familiar. It was easy to read, but that’s because I felt as if I’d read it before. I took my time reading this because I’d seen mixed reviews on it, and now I know why.

-The main characters, Baden and Katarina, don’t necessarily click as a couple. Individually, both are drawn with the broadest of strokes and neither really stood out from the pack of heroes and heroines I’
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Gena Showalter shows exactly why she is one of the premier authors of Paranormal Romance with THE DARKEST TORMENT. This is book twelve in the Lords of the Underworld series and this book might also come as a surprise to readers when they learn that this is actually Baden's book.

Baden is a character that we don't know too much about. I know plenty of readers were hoping that this would be Cameo's or even William's book but Showalter takes a different route with the series in this one. T
Amanda
This is going to be a loooong review because there are A LOT of things that happened in this book I feel the need to comment on. I really loved this book, even though like many others I, too, was unhappy with the MC choice of Baden- a relative unknown- over favorites Cameo or William. I still think that it was a redeemable book and so much happened that it makes me even more excited to see what is in stock for the Lords in the future!! Here are the high-lights: Overall an AWESOME book; I loved K ...more
Talita
Jun 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
THE DARKEST TORMENT или Хоспадипрости, я дочитала эту ересь

Часть 1. Трагическая.

— Билл?
— Да, Гарри?
— Что это было, Билл?
— Это был Неуловимый Джо, Гарри.
— А почему его зовут Неуловимым Джо, Билл?
— Потому что его никто ещё не поймал, Гарри.
— А почему его никто ещё не поймал, Билл?
— Потому что он нафиг никому не нужен, Гарри.
(с) древний анекдот

Придется начать с предыстории, ибо в целях растягивания серии и рубки дополнительного бабла Джена решила впихнуть между ожидаемыми книгами историю персонажа
Caro
Jul 25, 2015 rated it did not like it
Skip this book

Nope. I'm not even kidding. Even if you love this series, no, especially if you ever so much as liked this series, skip this book. It was awful. It was terrible. It was a trainwreck. Baden was boring. His story was boring. His life is boring. His six-pack is boring. But together with that dog-brained wanker Katarina? This book was plain torture. I had to skim most of it because my eyeballs nearly exploded in protest against some of the exchanges.

It's true, the series has been trai
Exina
To read or not to read? That's a tough question after Torin's book...

But probably I'm going to read it anyway.... I don't think I'd resist too much...

Kat Valentine
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well the gang's all back for the 12th lords of the underworld!!! This is baden and katarina's book ,but it is not the only storyline in this book it also is a set up for the next book that will be cameo's story and we also see what could finally be William and Gillian's story! Katharina is a worthy mate for baden she's strong and doesn't take shit from baden and his beast and she soon has them both eating out of her hand! Bad boy hades is still one of the scariest underworld rulers and he's pull ...more
Maria Itliong
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-books
I did enjoy reading Baden and Katarina's story and now I can't wait for the next Lords of the Underworld books to come out... there's still Cameo, William's story to be told... I'm hoping for William's story next or even Cameo or other characters that we meet in this book like Cameron, Winter, Galen.... I'm hoping Galen's story...
Sofia Lazaridou
Jul 17, 2015 marked it as to-read

description

What do you mean Baden's book?! Cameo and William should be first! I can't even remember who he is! Just when I found out that the author might pair William with someone else this happens! I don't think I can survive.

[image error]

Saiber
Aug 08, 2015 marked it as to-read
Shelves: find-a-copy-asap
I HAVE BEEN WAITING SOOOO LONG FOR THIS BOOK!

AND It's not even about Cameo and Lazarus ?

[image error]

OKAY then.

Alright.

Best demon romance/erotica out there? 3 19 Mar 06, 2017 11:11AM
My Vampire Book O...: Dee and Nam - Darkest Torment 18 32 Jun 15, 2016 07:54PM
  • Shadow's Seduction (Immortals After Dark, #17; The Dacians, #2)
  • Z (Demonica Underworld #3; Demonica #14; 1001 Dark Nights #39)
  • Dragonmark
  • Allegiance of Honor (Psy-Changeling #15)
  • Into the Fire (Night Prince, #4)
  • The Chosen (Black Dagger Brotherhood, #15)
  • Immortal Nights (Argeneau, #24)
  • Defy the Dawn (Midnight Breed, #14)
  • Guardian's Mate (Shifters Unbound, #9)
  • The Undoing (Call of Crows, #2)
  • Twisted (Eternal Guardians, #7)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter

Lords of the Underworld (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld #2)
  • The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3)
  • The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld #4)
  • The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld #5)
  • The Darkest Lie (Lords of the Underworld #6)
  • The Darkest Secret (Lords of the Underworld #7)
  • The Darkest Surrender  (Lords of the Underworld #8)
  • The Darkest Seduction (Lords of the Underworld #9)
  • The Darkest Craving (Lords of The Underworld #10)

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Roses
    $11.99 $3.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
  • The Strawberry Hearts Diner
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Too Hot to Handle (Romancing the Clarksons, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Evening Star (The Drifters & Dreamers #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
  • Otherkin
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Driven by Fire (Fire, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • The Lovers' Guide to Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
“Please. Shit sprinkled with sugar was still shit. Baden” 5 likes
“Game of Thrones? No. Game of loans. I'm going to loan my foot to your ass."
- Taliyah, the Cold Hearted”
3 likes