Start by marking “Working Out Loud: For a better career and life” as Want to Read:
Working Out Loud: For a better career and life

Working Out Loud: For a better career and life

Would you like more out of work and life?

Working Out Loud offers you ways to take control and make your own luck.

Instead of playing career roulette, you invest in deepening relationships and developing your skills. Instead of networking to get something, you lead with generosity. To further improve your odds, you make your work visible and frame it as a contribution.

Published June 17th 2015 by Ikigai Press (first published June 10th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Working Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Working Out Loud

Start your review of Working Out Loud: For a better career and life
Omkar Pendse
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Working out loud is a perfect guidebook for anyone who wants to make their work and themselves visible. The tips and tricks shared by John can be applied easily to create visibility not just at workplace but rather to any project you wish to. Ideas shared by John in this book has helped me shed some of my inhibitions and start sharing my projects in progress to get feed-forward rather than feedback. what i also liked about this book was its approach to networking. The book emphasizes on creating ...more
Eric
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: professional
This book is great! And I am not saying that because I know @johnstepper, but because it embodies so many great thoughts and ideas that span beyond just working out loud. He uses so much of what he read and found useful in this book to help people learn how to build new habits and to help others and to serve others in an authentic way. Thanks John for sharing your insights onto something that I did to some extent but not to its fullest. I am about to start my first working out loud circle.
JK
Nov 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My co-workers might be tired of me talking about this book and ways we might implement the steps. Stepper has done a great job of describing a process for reaching goals that is both ambitious and achievable through simple exercises. I also found the Circle Guides on his website useful. I recommend this book and look forward to implementing some of his suggestions.
Liz
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Life changing
Florian
Sep 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well structured presentation of a mindset. Very helpful summaries at the end of each chapter. Useful tasks for the reader. Fitting examples.
Aloisia
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s a great book, very practical and actionable to implement in order to work out loud, show your work and to build a network.
Cesar Guadarrama
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Interesting an easy to implement concept. Wol sounds like an interesting tool to start making meaningful networks.
Looking forward to using these concepts into practice
Frank Calberg
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Takeaways from reading the book:

Discover your purpose. Set simple goals.
- Page 14: Do you view what you do every day as 1) a job, i.e. work is for you just about getting money, 2) a career, i.e. you put focus on advancing based on your achievements, or 3) a calling, i.e. you take pleasure in the work itself and the fulfillment that comes from doing it. Why do you view what you do in the way you do?
- Page 45: In one minute, write down what you want to learn about.
- Pages 38 and 116: Define a
Stan Skrabut
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Even before I heard Harold Jarche speak at the National Extension Technology Conference, I had been interested in this concept of working out loud. I started working out loud formally when I started a blog for a graduate class. Even before that I was sharing things on social media. I realized early that social media was a powerful place to share things. Recently, I had completed reading two books on the topic of working out loud. The first book is Working Out Loud: For a better career and life* ...more
Robert Bogue
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ve worked out loud in my career by accident. I started with editing then writing books. I started writing articles (because they required less effort) and I’ve been speaking for years now. In many ways, my life has been what Working Out Loud: For a Better Career and Life suggests – but it was nearly completely by accident. I started my blog in 2005 because the people I knew told me I had to have one. At the same time, I also had content that I wanted to write that no publisher wanted to buy. ...more
Kate Bigam Kaput
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this one while participating in a "Working Out Loud circle" with coworkers, & it was a great experience. The whole thing is based on this book, which my colleague put into play in the workplace. We each set a goal & met once a week to discuss & to support one another in working toward achieving our individual goals. Reading the book between meetings helped keep my motivation high.
Mike Taylor
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-12x12
Fantastic book with easy to implement suggestions for sharing your work to become known within and beyond your organization. The exercises at the back are great ideas for how anyone can improve their work.
Annemie Martens
May 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It has changed my life. And career. Especially my mindset. Grateful for that.
John Westworth
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A nice easy read for the start of a new year. Really enjoyed it and wish I'd read it sooner. Takes you through the 5 elements of working out loud with some simple and short exercises to try out.
Cat Pearce

• Perfecting Patience: Buddhist Techniques to Overcome Anger
  • Morning: How to make time: A manifesto
  • Khi Tách Cà Phê Còn Chưa Nguội
  • Finding Freedom: Writings from Death Row
  • Living Nonviolent Communication: Practical Tools to Connect and Communicate Skillfully in Every Situation
  • Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society
“Reading Working Out Loud by @johnstepper” 1 likes
“Anyone can criticize or accept praise, but initiating a positive exchange is a hallmark of a difference maker.” 0 likes