Start by marking “Betty: The Helen Betty Osborne Story” as Want to Read:
Betty: The Helen Betty Osborne Story

Betty: The Helen Betty Osborne Story

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Helen Betty Osborne, known as Betty to her closest friends and family, dreamed of becoming a teacher. She left her home to attend residential school and high school in a small town in Manitoba. On November 13, 1971, Betty was abducted and brutally murdered by four young men. Initially met with silence and indifference, her tragic murder resonates loudly today. Betty repres ...more
Published April 27th 2015 by HighWater Press (an imprint of Portage & Main Press)

To ask other readers questions about Betty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Betty

Rebecca McNutt
This short but important graphic novel was able to convey all the emotion, horror and eventual hope for other Canadian aboriginal women with its graphic illustrations. Since crimes similar to the crimes taken out on Betty continue to happen not just in Canada but all over the world, the story is sadly still relevant, but books like these bring attention to the problem so that it can at least be prevented in the future.
MK King
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women is an issue that has affected 1,200 women across Canada. Helen Betty Osbourne’s story is horrific, tragic, piercingly haunting and remains an ongoing dark chapter in Canada’s history.

This book is short but that’s alright. David Alexander Robertson and Scott B Henderson have again teamed up to expertly write and illustrate a powerful story. Highwater Press is a recommended publisher for indigenous graphic novels.

I picked this up at www.goodminds.com an indige
Jaime
Jan 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am officially a fan of David Alexander Robertson and Scott B Henderson's graphic novels. I have read Sugar Falls, 7 Generations and The Outside Circle which led me to tracking this book down. This heartbreaking story may help people understand the horror of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women. My kids will definitely read this. These graphic novels have been very helpful in discussing serious issues with my kids in an educational way. Seriously, if you want to have discussions about Indigeno ...more
Oct 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A gut-wrenching story but one that's so important to tell.
Paul  Hankins
I purchased this book after finding the reference to Helen Betty Osborne in David Alexander Robertson's other graphic novel, SUGAR FALLS. In Betty, we get the backstory to the reference and an invitation to consider the disappearance of indigenous females in Canada. This is a shorter graphic novel that might ask the classroom teacher to consider the event and the presentation of the event before inclusion within the classroom library.
Sara
A difficult but compelling story highlighting the assault, rape, and murder of Helen Betty. She is one of the over 1,200 Indigenous/Native women who have gone missing and murdered. The story is set in 1971 and demonstrates how this alarming epidemic is not just a recent one.
Rebecca
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This resonated with me because Betty wanted to be a teacher. I love how this was framed within the context of an outsider looking into the #MMIW dialogue in social media. Especially potent reading just after Barbara Kentner's death.
Ckolleen
Nov 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a tragic story about a female named Betty. A story that has to be told. That people should not turn away from.
Susan
Sep 02, 2017 added it
I'm going to refrain from giving this a star-based rating because my main issue with it was that I prefer longer formats. For those who enjoy this format, it's likely very good.
Nathan Frechette
This was short, but very good. I only wish it would have been longer! I think this story deserved a closer examination, but the way it was framed in discussing the importance of sharing these stories was very well done.
Kristal
Would have liked this graphic novel to be longer so I could learn more about the life of Helen Betty Osborne before her murder. Still though, a very important piece that would attract reluctant readers which is always great.
Chelsea
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a very powerful graphic novel that every Canadian should read. The author and illustrator did a wonderful job bringing awareness to the issue of missing and murdered Aboriginal women.
Melody
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is such a sad story. Canadians need to know about this.
Cupof Tea
Jul 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A tragic true story that puts a face on all the missing and murdered aboriginal women in Canada's sad history.
Jennifer Stark
Jul 13, 2018
Lexi
Apr 08, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
David A. Robertson is an award-winning writer. His books include When We Were Alone (Governor General's Literary Award winner, McNally Robinson Best Book For Young People winner, TD Canadian Children’s Literature Award finalist), Will I See? (winner Manuela Dias Book Design and Illustration Award Graphic Novel Category), and the YA novel Strangers. David educates as well as entertains through his ...more
More about David Alexander Robertson