Start by marking “Cursed (Spellbound Regency #1)” as Want to Read:
Cursed (Spellbound Regency #1)

Cursed

(Spellbound Regency #1)

Isobel Sterling is a governess with many secrets—including an uncanny ability she's been hiding her whole life, until the day arrives when she has to use it to save herself from a madman. But first she has to master it. Fast.

Governess Isobel Sterling feels fortunate to have found a safe haven in the Montgomery household. The children are kind and the lord and lady of the

Published June 25th 2015 by Lucy Leroux Books

To ask other readers questions about Cursed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cursed

Talltree
May 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-pnr-uf
Intriguing gothic romance with paranormal elements that was gripping at times. The h was really the H of the story and the H was a beta/in distress type of person. The h saved him.
The worldbuilding and atmosphere was well done and suitably gothic. The H's family got away with murder time and again and I wish they would have paid. I'd love a sequel to know what happens after the HEA!

3.75 stars!
Yuli Atta - Damaged Pages
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Why didn't I read this book (that I received a copy of for an honest review) sooner! Whyyyyy! IT. IS. AMAZING!

I am still speechless and overwhelmed because I didn't expect it to be so good but when I found out that Lucy Leroux is a.k.a. L. B. Gilbert, I knew that I'd love it because I loved Fire! I enjoy Lucy Leroux's writing very much, she writes beautifully and captivatingly and I just couldn't put the book down and for the first time in months, I read a book in one sitting!

The story is well-w
Vasiliki
Nov 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
3.5 stars!

ARC kindly provided by Xpresso Book Tours via Netgalley in exchange of an honest review.

This is the story of Matteo and Isobel, a cursed man and a witch!

The setting of the story was really nice and with the appropriate darkness. The plot was also nice and a bit surprising since there was a mystery that needed to be solved. The story is written on third person and it's nicely and smoothly done.

Isobel is fantastic! I really love her courage and will to live! I thought her a bit naive b
Sissy's Romance Book Review
This was a little bit of a Paranormal book, historical romance and all round good book.
Governess Isobel Sterling was being taught up until she was 12 years old about witch craft and that she is a witch. But when she turned 12 and her family member died that was teaching her it brought her mother to end her training and forget about being a witch or witchcraft because it was so dangerous at the time. Isobel later in life finds herself alone and needing work so she moves and becomes a Governess. T
Quirkyreader
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This story was included in the box set "Legends of The Damned". It screams Regency Gothic. And that is a good thing.

I enjoyed Leroux's writing style and how she introduced the paranormal elements into the story slowly. I hope she writes more Gothics because the paranormal genre needs more.

♥ WishfulMiss ♥
This is definitely outside the normal of what I usually read in romance. This was more along the lines of a gothic/horror erotica. Very Beauty & the Beast - with Belle as a witch and the Beast as a demon possessed beta H.

What I liked: It was fast paced, not too fast that you get lost but just enough that things flowed smoothly. I liked Isobel, she was a great heroine. She was smart, resourceful, brave and fearless. I even liked the beta Hero, Matteo (I'm usually more of a alpha caveman type)
N.N. Light
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
OMG! So good! I couldn't stop reading it.

Reviewed by: Mrs. N

My Rating: 5 stars
Astraycat
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great book! Although I seldom read this kinds of book, I liked Lucy Leroux's A Singular Obsession series, so I gave it a try. And turned out I did enjoy reading it. Recommend to those who liked some magic in books.

h was a governess, and H was her employer's nephew from Italy. When H came to visit, he showed great interest in h, but h could feeling something dark in H. When girls in village began to disappear and H's health got worse, she realized something was really wrong.

I liked the mystery of
I'm sorry, I just can't with this book. It'll be easier and less rant-y if I just listed what didn't work for me.

1) The historical aspect of this story was completely superficial. It was mostly a veneer and added very little.
2) The language was completely modern.
3) Safety (view spoiler)
4) The secret that the h was hiding was told in
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Isobel lost her family and she had to leave her home because she was ostracized for being a witch in training. She has managed to hide her abilities by working as a governess, until a relation of her employer comes and takes an interest in her. He is shrouded by a dark being and she tries to stay away from him. That choice is taken away from her when she is brought as a sacrifice to the demon haunting Matteo. Somehow she has a positive affect on Matteo being able to remain himself, but the darkn ...more
Amanda Richardson
Mar 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a sucker for a steamy romance with a governess as the female lead and Cursed by Lucy Leroux doesn't disappoint. Isobel feels lucky to find her job as a governess is a good one - children she likes, easy bosses - what could go wrong?
When visitors arrive Isobel's unique abilities let her see the demon and darkness in the Italian count's son, Mateo. Wow, Mateo is super sexy and the chemistry between them explodes. Mateo is something else though, something beastly, and Isobel can use her powers
Space Cowgirl
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
She Put A Spell💘 On Him, Because He's Hers💕

Adult Regency Era Romance💕 with Paranormal Elements

Isobel💃💋. She's a young Scottish governess to an English noble family. She was raised a gentlewoman and with knowledge🌱 and training of her paranormal abilities.

An Italian Lord and his gorgeous adult son, Mateo🐺🍆🌋, arrive at the estate, and she immediately sees the darkness and the demon👺 inside the handsome son.

What to do about it is the question, when young women begin to disappear from the local vil
Kimberly Gould
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
I jumped into this book without taking the time to digest the subtitle, which gave me a wild ride through the first few chapters. It starts out as a regular regency romance, but the demons and magic came at me sideways, leaving me wondering what exactly was at play in the primary relationship. I wasn't a fan of the two near rapes. I didn't like the redemption of the antagonistic father or the revenge taken on one of the two servants that play prominently. However, I LOVED the ending. Not so much ...more
KelticKat
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isobel is leading a fairly uneventful life as a governess to two young charges in an isolated corner of Northumberland when Aldo Garibaldi, an Italian Count & his son Matteo come for a visit with her employer Sir Clarence Montgomery.

A Few young ladies from the surrounding area begin to go missing. Isobel is thrown at every corner by the pull that she feels from the young nobleman. She is drawn to him - yet a bit wary of him as well - something isn't what it seems.

This book was a combination
Sam
Feb 21, 2018 rated it liked it
**I was gifted a copy of this book.**

Isobel is enjoying her purposefully quiet, boring life as a governess until her employers dine to entertain guests. Much to Isobel's ire, she has caught the eye of the visiting Nobile die Conti di Santa Fiora. There's something not quite right about him, but what? Isobel will soon discover the secret he hides in a most unfortunate way, causing her to reveal secrets of her own. The two become entwined, and Isobel finds herself suddenly living a far from boring
Dora
Jun 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Cursed by Lucy Leroux
Isobel was working as a governess when her employer italian relatives arrived. The young one looked sick and she felt something strange about him. There were rumors that some girls were missing at the village and somehow Isobell knew that the newcomers had something to do with that. Then, she saw Mattheo and he didn’t look sick walking around and watching her with interest. There was a magic power in her family females and she sensed that Mattheo’s aura was tainted. Getting
Shasha
I liked this gothic regency. The plot moved along well and made sense. The rich aristo falling for the governess tickled my romantic bone. And the ending was bittersweet.

The possession of the H was horrifying and terribly sexy. I teetered back and forth with the h as she is assaulted (view spoiler) and then later seduced(view spoiler)
Mindy Lou's Book Review
Lucy Leroux is becoming one of my favorite authors. This is the third book of hers I've read that I have really enjoyed. Cursed is a historical paranormal romance that has a bit of horror in the story and I'm glad I didn't know much about the storyline before reading it. I liked the mystery of the curse and learning as I read. It's a quick read but didn't feel rushed or lacking and had a great love story between the two main characters. I would highly recommend to readers who like a good paranor ...more
Tammy
May 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Isobel is a Governess and believes she has found a safe haven working for the Montgomery household, a place where she can hide her secrets. That is until the family receives some guest and girls begin to go missing in the village. Will Isobel be next? This is a fast paced and suspenseful read. I really liked Isobel she is a great lead. I was hooked from beginning to end.
Iris
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second story I've read by this author, the first being a much shorter story included in an anthology, and honestly, I've been asking myself why I waited this long to read more of her work. I'd like to say I'm a lover of historical romances, but in all honesty, I'm pretty picky about which ones I read. Cursed was recommended to me by a fellow book lover as something that I might really enjoy and she was so right.

A historical romance with paranormal elements, Cursed managed to capture
Reena
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a real rollercoster of a story! Set in the regency era, the storyline has strong gothic and paranormal elements. The storyline is quite complex with plenty of twists, magic, mystery, action and a love story that kept me engrossed throughout reading. The story elements are revealed slowly, building the plotline a bit at a time, until the end. The intimate moments of the hero and heroine are extremely steamy, to the point of erotica. "Cursed" is not your typical romance. I would character ...more
Deb Diem
May 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cursed by Lucy Leroux is part historical romance and part paranormal. Ms. Leroux has provided us with a well-written book furnished with outstanding characters. Isobel grew up learning witchcraft from her grandmother until her aunt was killed. When her father passes away she's forced to take a position as a governess. Matteo was cursed and he and his father traveled from Italy to find a witch to cure him, only to find she was dead when they arrived. Matteo and Isobel rush to find a cure before i ...more
Sonia
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was an amazing gift from the Author. I'm so thankful to her for giving me my first ever historical romance with a twist!
It had everything I did not expect. Ms. Isobel is a Governess to a couple with two children. She loves her job, even thought it is beneath her station in life. She has been trying to run from her secret filled past.
The family receives family from Italy for a visit. A Count and his disabled and handsome son.
The son takes an interest in Ms. Isobel. She also, through t
HilZie
Feb 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019, arcs
Kristen Lewendon
Nov 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It has so many different aspects that blend together to make a greater whole: Gothic mystery fantasy horror regency romance. What starts quite simply as an historical horror story quickly becomes something else altogether. I loved how brilliantly all of the parts blended together. I was fascinated with the chemistry between Isobel and Matteo - for so much of the book you're never quite sure if the connection is good or bad for them. I have to give credit to any book that successfully keeps distr ...more
Peggy
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Isobel Sterling is a governess, and a witch. Matteo Garibaldis is an Italian noble with a curse. Matteo falls for Isobel, and so does his darkness. Isobel uses everything she learned from her grandmother and all she could glean from the books she left for her to find a way to remove Matteo’s curse. Just as she thinks she has the answer, a new wrinkle presents itself. Cursed is a Gothic romance and a mystery. The characters are interesting, and the plot is well written with lots of twists and tur ...more
BJ
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good
3.5 stars for a good Gothic story, with a great h. She's resourceful and a witch, and a nice person. The H is cursed of course, and she sets out to save him. The other entity she sees in him, is actually besotted with her, so she is safe, the person who isn't safe is the H - he's part of a take over. I liked the fast pace, the Gothic setting and good steamy moments. The only reason is didn't get 5 stars is that there seemed to be potential for a different ending. The H ended up being a bit weak, ...more
Philleys Peters
Mar 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Isobel is a witch who has kept her abilities hidden until she used it to save herself from a monster. Mateo, privileged son of a wealthy conte, is cursed with a demon inside him. Isobel saved him from killing again and she managed to temporarily vanquish the demon. Now Isobel is hired to find a cure for Mateo's curse. A really enjoyable book as the secrets behind the curse are exposed and our hero and heroine fall in love. Nice!

I received a free copy of this book via Booksprout and am voluntaril
Sharon
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
If this book is anything to go by then this is one author who has no need for spells to get readers and great reviews! I love historical romances, and this is done perfectly. The plot is an interesting that would have probably held my attention anyway, but the author then throws in some wonderfully well-developed characters. There are some steamy scenes that are quite graphic but very well written. I recommend it to anyone who loves historical romances with some paranormal and great steamy scene ...more
Carly Kirk
This book was very well written and I would have purchased the next in the series, but it hasn't been written yet and none of the author's other works really jumped out at me - so hopefully she will write the next one soon... I very much enjoyed the magic side of things and the romance too. A little dark, but it still had sweetness and love (my copy of the book is in the collection "Legends of the Damned")
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Viscount's Son (The Viscount's Son, #1)
  • The Phoenix Decree (The Phoenix Decree Saga, #1)
  • Not Without Juliet
  • A Cross to Bear (Gabriella Cross, #1)
  • Awaken (Dark Paradise #1)
  • White Wedding (The Guardian Agency #1)
  • Zakia and the Cowboy (Thunder Creek Ranch #1)
  • Air (The Elementals #2)
  • Edge: Season One, Volume One (Edge: Season One #1-4)
  • To Feel Again (1Night Stand, #1)
  • Warrior Reborn (Warrior, #2)
  • A Pirate's Wife for Me (Governess Brides, #11)
  • Legacy of the Witch (The Portal, #0.5)
  • Saved By A Dragon (Exiled Dragons, #2)
  • The Billionaire's Demon
  • Ravenous (Lake City Stories, #0.5)
  • Mr. Satisfaction Guaranteed
  • The Last Descendant (Sanyare Chronicles, #1)
Lucy Leroux is another name for USA Today Bestselling Author L.B. Gilbert.

Seven years ago Lucy moved to France for a one-year research contract. Six months later she was living with a handsome Frenchman and is now happily married to him...and still in France.
When her last contract ended Lucy turned to writing. Frustrated by the lack of quality romance erotica she created her own.

Cursed is the fir

Spellbound Regency (3 books)
  • The Hex (Spellbound Regency #1.5)
  • Black Widow (Spellbound Regency #2)