Start by marking “The Magic Shop (Shadow Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Shop (Shadow Magic #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Magic Shop

(Shadow Magic #1)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  95 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Librarian note: alternate-cover edition of B00CJCUCTG.

Free 17 Chapter Excerpt of The Magic Shop: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/xt1pO

Some family secrets can't be unseen.

Marcus and his twin sister, Ellie, live in the loft above their grandparents' magic shop--the one all the rumors are about. He's all too familiar with the hand buzzers, card tricks, and fake vomit kits.
Published June 2015 by CreateSpace (first published July 4th 2013)

Yesha
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, magic
*** Note: I received a review copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to author. I am glad I got a chance to read this book. ***

3.5 Stars

Story revolves around Fith family and their secrets, twin sibling- Marcus and Ellie, The Magic Shop, magical world, and lots of adventure. I will say more about characters here than magic because characters and magic in the book was of equal importance and if I talk more about magic it will spoil the book.

Characters-
Marcus was irres
Meghan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun with this book. Twins (a boy and a girl) who live with their grandparents - and their grandparents own a magic shop. The story begins at the end of school, the last day before summer begins ... and when they had home that day, the adventure begins.

This is a great book to share with the middle school kids in your lives, especially if they like magic. I loved the characters, very real and interesting to get to know. The take on magic was interesting as well. And, of course, the
Spence
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son read this book, here is his review:

This book was absolutely amazing! Once I started, I couldn't stop. I was on the edge of my seat at times. Great cliffhangers. Very imaginative, creative, and, of course, magical. Can't wait for the next one!!!

CW
Nick
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good, took a little while to get into but once it did it was a fun ride with some good characters. Leaves things open nicely for more too.

The narrator did voices well, his normal voice had an odd slightly nasal tone and occasionally a clipped kind of speech which took a bit of getting used to. The music at chapters was nice but carried on too loudly as the narrator started to speak but luckily not for too long so it didn't interfere with the story too badly.
Jennifer Goebel
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Marcus and Ellie live with their grandparents, and don't always see eye-to-eye with them. When Marcus gets in trouble at school, his grandparents decide he and Ellie both need to take responsibility by working in the family magic store, a dull, dusty place. When Marcus finds his grandfather going into a secret room, he discovers that the Magic Shop's shabby exterior is a front for a real magical world that exists all around them. Marcus accidentally sells a very valuable artifact to a stranger, ...more
Robin Halvorson
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay, narration was great, story was good, it was done well enough that I want the next book in the series. I must have gotten drawn in because I wanted to slap Marcus around for some of the less than wise things he did!

Digit
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot was okay, but there was little depth. It read like a bulleted checklist with no meat in between. At times, there were holes where the reader got confused and didn't really understand what was going on. I'd try this author again, but this one feels like a very early version.
Mojoreb
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Magic Shop was a fantastic and magical(get it?) adventure that is sure to thrill younger audiences and even older ones as well.

I had a great time following Marcus and Elle's adventures as they uncovered a world hidden away and abilities they didn't know they had. Marcus and Elle were likeable and charming protagonists that made some mistakes as the book progresses and I found their growth as they realized what they had just done to be well done. The supporting characters each had their own c
Kitty_ranma
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audio version. Magical twins coming into their magic. This started a little slow but it quickly picked up. It's also a cliffhanger, I hadn't known it was a part 1.
The narrator makes the story come to life, he has a soft compelling voice.
This audiobook was given to me for free at my request from the publisher or author or narrator and I provided this voluntary review.
Reasons I enjoyed this book:
Action-packedEasy-to-readEntertainingOriginalPage-turnerUnpredictable WhimsicalWonderful characters
Catrina
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As Marcus and Ellie finished their school year, they began working in the family business... The Magic Shop... and they quickly find out that there is much more to magic than just parlor tricks.

There are so many twists and turns in the storyline that I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens next!

A wonderful story by Justin Swapp and fantastic narration by Steve Barnes.
Deedra
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcus and Elle are siblings raised by their Grandparents after their parents die.The grandparents own a Magic Shop.Little do the kids know, it is REAL magic and they are going to be dragged into the family business whether they believe it or not.Steve Barnes does a wonderful job narrating.I was provided this book by the author,narrator or publisher.
Athena
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My god son wanted me to read this, and I can honestly say I loved it, the book has a rich mix of characters and mystery. Its a bit darker then I thought it would be, its like skipping to book 4 or 5 of HP.
I love the magic and action and how its not rushing but not taking it slow, This book for sure has its own take on magic. I love Tofu and how everyone ends up shocking you .
I received this title for free, in exchange for an unbiased review
Emily Davidson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic read! Justin Swapp has a way of engaging you, drawing you into the story and keeping you guessing. It's a phenomenal ride! And if you like audiobooks, the narration is wonderfully done! It's really hard to find narration that's as great as the story content, but this narrator was spot on and made the book that much more enjoyable. Definitely worth a read whatever format you choose!
M.C. Muhlenkamp
I don't know where to start. The premise of the book is fantastic, and the characters are so quirky and individual you can't help liking them, or hating them respectively. I found myself rooting for Marcus the entire way through and the final battle is by far my favorite part of the book. The relationship between Marcus and Ellie (brother and sister) reminded me a lot of Fablehaven, the novel by Brandon Mull. As did the involvement of the grandparents. But the concept of the book is very differe ...more
Karen Stephans
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great for all ages. Entertaining. Unexpected twists.
The Magic Shop - The Shadow Magic Series Book 1 by Justin Swapp and narrated by Steve Barnes. I listened to the audio version of this book. This is a great story for adults and / or children. The audio version is 11 hours of pure entertainment. Magic, adventures, action and unexpected twists will keep you listening to this story.
The main characters are Marcus and Ellie who live with their grandparents over their magic shop. The children don’
Linda Ulleseit
This novel begins as typical kids are in conflict with their grandparents, who are raising them. The grandparents decide Marcus and his sister, Ellie, would benefit from helping in the store that is the family business, the Magic Shop.

Marcus hates magic, but his interest blossoms as he gradually learns that the family business is a front for something much more dangerous, and as his own magic develops.

This novel is full of wonderful characters as well as plot twists that keep you wondering exact
Pinal
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading amazing feedbacks from readers, I knew this is a great book; however, I realized it first hand when I completed the entire book in two sittings.

This is a amazing story of youth, who loves magic, adventures, twists, and thrills. Marcus is very engaging and lovable character and along with his twin sister Ellie (confession - it is my favorite character even though Marcus is the hero of the story). I just can't wait for my daughter to grow up 5 more years and read this book which has
Cathy
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcus and Ellis grew up their whole life thinking their parents were dead and helping their grandparents sell magic tricks in their magic shop. Of course they know magic is only sleight of hand. One morning Marcus sees his grandfather "open the wall" and a blue light shines from a secret room. He shows his sister the room and they see all of the old "stuff" in the room. The final straw is when their grandparents tell them they are moving within three days. Why are they moving? What does Dun-Bha ...more
Susan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcus and his sister Ellie live an ordinary life with their grandparents who own a magic shop. But slowly their quiet family life turns into one of magical adventure with secrets and evil around every corner.

In the first half of the book, Marcus refuses to see the signs of what is to come, sometimes to a frustrating extent. But the second half of the book takes off and works into a frenzy of magical experiences. The list of characters grows as good fights off evil. The climactic ending leaves a
Brent C.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Magic Shop is an exciting story of adventure and discovery in a world filled with mystery and danger. Join young Marcus and Ellie as they guide readers through this world on a journey of self discovery. Besides struggling with questions of identity, family and confidence, they will have to make decisions that affect those around them. The story grabbed me early and kept me interested with the action, twists, turns and characters. Sometimes heartfelt and at others funny, the story is a well b ...more
Nikki Richardson
Nov 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love Justin Swapp stories. They always leave me hanging on the edge of my seat. He told me if I gave an honest review he'd give me a credit to listen to this book. I've wanted to read it since I heard about it honestly. These kids discovering family magic and going to a crazy journey on summer break. Ellie has to learn to be outgoing and adventurous while Marcus has to learn how to be less rash and more focused. I'm not sure Ellie ever learns her lesson, maybe in book 2, but Marcus certainly l ...more
Shelly Moss
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story was an amazing journey! I literally read into the wee hours of the night, waiting with baited breath, to see where the adventure would take me! This isn't just a great adventure though, Swapp has the ability to make you literally feel the depth of emotion that the characters are experiencing. I feel as if I am friends with the characters that have come alive on the pages of The Magic Shop. I can't wait to see where Marcus and Ellie's journey will lead them in the next book!
You will NO
Leslie Fisher
This was such a great book. The characters really came alive through the narration of the Audible audio version narrated by Steve Barnes. I wish I had listened to this one with my kids because I know they would have enjoyed it immensely. I'll have to play it again on a car trip. This book has a great story line, lots of action, and lots of twists. It kept me engaged to the end. The narrator was wonderful. I hope to listen to more book read by Steve Barnes, and I can't wait until the next book in ...more
Ann Everett
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Magic Shop is tale of secrets and magic mixed with plenty of action. I especially like the way Mr. Swapp shows main character Marcus maturing as he joins forces with his twin sister, Ellie, to deal with dragons, gnarliguts, and the keeper of the magical dead.

This is a fun story which will appeal to young readers as well as adults. Don't miss this exciting quest of two young people searching for answers about their past and their future! ~~Ann Everett
Candis Tippets
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was a great read! It is the perfect story for every age. The story keeps you guessing at what will happen next. I could visualize it playing out like a movie while I read it. I was very hard to put the book down, the writing is excellent and the books provides vivid detail and great jokes. I'm so glad the story ended the way it did, I can't wait to see the next one! I will be so excited if this becomes a movie! IT'S A MUST READ!
Deborah
Aug 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read. I love reading YA books as they can provide me with adventure, magic, suspense, mystery, danger, thrills and fun - even get a little dark and scary - without being too much so (I just can't read Steven King). This one hit all the right buttons for me. Two kids dealing with real contemporary issues that morph into surreal issues. Not just for kids, DH also read it and loved it.
Jennifer Redmile
Aug 13, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit slow at the start, but once it got going it was non-stop action to the end. The magical world Justin has created is a great concept, with well developed characters, and a unique twist on magic. Fans of Harry Potter will love this story! I'm looking forward to book 2!
Leslie Montoya
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both I and my 13 year old son read this, and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was a great adventure with lots of twists! The story itself begs you to read more, and was hard for either of us to put it down!

(In compliance with FTC Guidelines, I disclose that I received a copy of this book for free through Goodreads First Reads program).
C Dove
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written starts a slow but quickly turns into a real page turner. A little chaotic in the middle for the reader as for the protagonist Marcus as the is much to absorb and keep up with. Definite good read for those who like their mystical/magical fix on the human side with real emotion of joy pain and suffering .
Jerry Boy
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you're a fan of books like Percy Jackson, Fable Haven, etc, this book is a must read. I could not put it down! It rivals any young adult book I have read. It was a ton of fun and kept me turning the pages. Just as the title of the book suggests, this story holds a lot of magic! I hope there is a sequel coming!
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Great Middle Grad...: UK Audible Reviewers 1 8 Sep 12, 2018 06:23AM
Goodreads Librari...: New tranlsation 3 23 Jan 28, 2017 02:58PM
Making Connections: 4652. - THE MAGIC SHOP by Justin Swapp 1 6 Oct 29, 2016 09:20AM
All About YA : This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R: The Magic Shop [CLOSED] 11 29 Jun 19, 2015 09:31AM
All About YA : The Magic Shop 8 27 Jan 10, 2015 10:19AM
  • Heirs of Prophecy (The Prophecies, #1)
  • The Lightning Catcher (The Lightning Catcher, #1)
  • The Kindling (Middle School Magic #1)
  • The Path of Names
  • Magical Mischief
  • City of Fire (City Trilogy, #1)
  • The Serpent's Ring (Relics of Mysticus, #1)
  • Andi Unexpected (Andi Boggs, #1)
  • Escape from the Pipe Men!
  • The Merman and the Moon Forgotten (Nikolas and Company, #1)
  • Little Boy Lost (The Librarian, #1)
  • Eve Hallows and the Book of Shrieks (The Nightmare Series, #1)
  • Alvor
  • The Whizz Pop Chocolate Shop
  • Red Madrassa (Algardis, #1)
  • Dreamer (Clockwork Twist #3)
  • Hocus Pocus Hotel
  • The Ever Breath

Justin was born with an active imagination on a U.S. naval base in Spain, but has spent most of his life in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains of Utah. He is bilingual, and has lived all over the world. He has four children; two boys, and two girls, and one wife. He doesn't have any pets that he's aware of, but his c

Shadow Magic (2 books)
  • The Shadow's Servant (Shadow Magic, #2)
“Everybody, even those that don’t like Chinese food, knew that you had to eat the cookie for the fortune to come true. And so he did.” 1 likes
“He glared at Mr. Diddley’s yellow-toothed smile, and thought how he’d like to shove a toothbrush in his mouth and teach him how to use it.” 0 likes