Start by marking “The Magic Shop (Shadow Magic #1)” as Want to Read:
The Magic Shop (Shadow Magic #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

The Magic Shop

(Shadow Magic #1)

Librarian note: alternate-cover edition of B00CJCUCTG.

Free 17 Chapter Excerpt of The Magic Shop: https://www.instafreebie.com/free/xt1pO

Some family secrets can't be unseen.

Marcus and his twin sister, Ellie, live in the loft above their grandparents' magic shop--the one all the rumors are about. He's all too familiar with the hand buzzers, card tricks, and fake vomit kits.
Published June 2015 by CreateSpace (first published July 4th 2013)
Featured Notes & Highlights

Start your review of The Magic Shop (Shadow Magic #1)
Yesha- Books Teacup and Reviews
Aug 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, magic
*** Note: I received a review copy from the author, in exchange for an honest review. Many thanks to author. I am glad I got a chance to read this book. ***

3.5 Stars

Story revolves around Fith family and their secrets, twin sibling- Marcus and Ellie, The Magic Shop, magical world, and lots of adventure. I will say more about characters here than magic because characters and magic in the book was of equal importance and if I talk more about magic it will spoil the book.

Characters-
Marcus was irres
megHan
Apr 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had a lot of fun with this book. Twins (a boy and a girl) who live with their grandparents - and their grandparents own a magic shop. The story begins at the end of school, the last day before summer begins ... and when they had home that day, the adventure begins.

This is a great book to share with the middle school kids in your lives, especially if they like magic. I loved the characters, very real and interesting to get to know. The take on magic was interesting as well. And, of course, the
Spence
Aug 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My son read this book, here is his review:

This book was absolutely amazing! Once I started, I couldn't stop. I was on the edge of my seat at times. Great cliffhangers. Very imaginative, creative, and, of course, magical. Can't wait for the next one!!!

CW
Nick
Sep 18, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story was good, took a little while to get into but once it did it was a fun ride with some good characters. Leaves things open nicely for more too.

The narrator did voices well, his normal voice had an odd slightly nasal tone and occasionally a clipped kind of speech which took a bit of getting used to. The music at chapters was nice but carried on too loudly as the narrator started to speak but luckily not for too long so it didn't interfere with the story too badly.
BookLoversLife
Review to come.
Jennifer Goebel
Jul 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Marcus and Ellie live with their grandparents, and don't always see eye-to-eye with them. When Marcus gets in trouble at school, his grandparents decide he and Ellie both need to take responsibility by working in the family magic store, a dull, dusty place. When Marcus finds his grandfather going into a secret room, he discovers that the Magic Shop's shabby exterior is a front for a real magical world that exists all around them. Marcus accidentally sells a very valuable artifact to a stranger, ...more
Digit
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The plot was okay, but there was little depth. It read like a bulleted checklist with no meat in between. At times, there were holes where the reader got confused and didn't really understand what was going on. I'd try this author again, but this one feels like a very early version.
Robin Halvorson
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Okay, narration was great, story was good, it was done well enough that I want the next book in the series. I must have gotten drawn in because I wanted to slap Marcus around for some of the less than wise things he did!

David Munch
The Magic Shop by Justin Swapp is the story of the teenage orphan Marcus, who lives with his sister and grand parents. The grand parents own a magic shop, which sells trinkets and other sleight of hand tricks, and most of Marcus’ daily life is relatively uninteresting. As it turns out, the magic shop is not all it seems to be, and his grand parents harbour secrets which they keep to themselves, and Marcus and his sisters life is turned upside down. They also regularly visit the local asylum wher ...more
Joshua Lawson
Aug 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Edited after reading The Shadow's Servant. The parts I'm striking from the original review are marked as spoilers instead. If you care, this will give a view into how my review evolved after reading further in the series.*

I am going to divide this review into two parts - an objective review of what is a solid YA fantasy novel, and my subjective thoughts based on my own tastes.

Objectively this is a pretty good YA fantasy novel, targeted I think to young teens and following most of the normal con
Michael Rutar
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book free for an honest review so I didn't really know what to expect. After completing this book I was pleasantly surprised.

This book follows two teenage siblings, Marcus and Ellie, whose grandparents own a magic shop. As punishment for misbehaving in school they run the magic shop over summer break. Soon after being employed at the shop they start to discover weird things, people, and their grandparents begin to act strange when asked questions. Alas, they discover that magic is rea
Mojoreb
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Magic Shop was a fantastic and magical(get it?) adventure that is sure to thrill younger audiences and even older ones as well.

I had a great time following Marcus and Elle's adventures as they uncovered a world hidden away and abilities they didn't know they had. Marcus and Elle were likeable and charming protagonists that made some mistakes as the book progresses and I found their growth as they realized what they had just done to be well done. The supporting characters each had their own c
Kitty_ranma
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audio version. Magical twins coming into their magic. This started a little slow but it quickly picked up. It's also a cliffhanger, I hadn't known it was a part 1.
The narrator makes the story come to life, he has a soft compelling voice.
This audiobook was given to me for free at my request from the publisher or author or narrator and I provided this voluntary review.
Reasons I enjoyed this book:
Action-packedEasy-to-readEntertainingOriginalPage-turnerUnpredictable WhimsicalWonderful characters
Chase Jensen
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book and it really had a different twist on magic. Normally magic is accompanied with a wand but Justin Swapp was able to reinvent the idea. The characters were well thought out and developed through the story. I never felt lost as the story developed and I don't feel there were any holes in the storyline. The book had witty humor, lots of action and a great twist in the end. The narrator was wonderful and really made the book come alive. Overall I am very happy with the bo ...more
Catrina
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As Marcus and Ellie finished their school year, they began working in the family business... The Magic Shop... and they quickly find out that there is much more to magic than just parlor tricks.

There are so many twists and turns in the storyline that I just couldn't put it down. I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens next!

A wonderful story by Justin Swapp and fantastic narration by Steve Barnes.
Randall Medlin
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this audiobook. It was a fun ride that started slow and quickly built speed and tension. The narration was similar to what you would expect in a whispered story around a camp fire. The magic system has its own unique quirks. All together it made for an intriguing start to a series that I will likely continue reading.

Disclaimer: I was given this free review copy audiobook at my request and have voluntarily left this review.
Deedra
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcus and Elle are siblings raised by their Grandparents after their parents die.The grandparents own a Magic Shop.Little do the kids know, it is REAL magic and they are going to be dragged into the family business whether they believe it or not.Steve Barnes does a wonderful job narrating.I was provided this book by the author,narrator or publisher.
Heather Little
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was given a review copy of this audiobook in exchange for a voluntary and honest review.

This is a very good book. A little slow in the beginning but it picks up pretty quickly . A little different from other magic books in that the magic in this book has some dangers to it.
Production quality and narration was of high quality.
William
I received a review copy of this book.

The story is fun, the characters hold my interest, and I'm curious art what's coming next in the series. It isn't a masterpiece of literature, but it's a fine example of YA Fantasy.
Ruby
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My god son wanted me to read this, and I can honestly say I loved it, the book has a rich mix of characters and mystery. Its a bit darker then I thought it would be, its like skipping to book 4 or 5 of HP.
I love the magic and action and how its not rushing but not taking it slow, This book for sure has its own take on magic. I love Tofu and how everyone ends up shocking you .
I received this title for free, in exchange for an unbiased review
Lucy
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, magic
Clean,enjoyable, and interesting read.
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
I received this book for free. I am voluntarily leaving this review and all opinions expressed herein are mine.

Here, twins Marcus and Ellie live with their grandparents, who own a magic shop. After receiving a review from their school teacher, their grandparents decide that the twins could use a little responsibility by working in the magic shop. The twins are less than thrilled with the idea. One day Marcus sees his grandfather take a customer to a secret room. He is curious about it. Marcus a
Scott
Apr 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good read. Characters seems a bit under developed. I'll have to find the next installment to see if they grow. Seems like it took along time to tell the story. A few twist and turns but only one truly shocking development. All in all pretty entertaining.
Emily Davidson
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely fantastic read! Justin Swapp has a way of engaging you, drawing you into the story and keeping you guessing. It's a phenomenal ride! And if you like audiobooks, the narration is wonderfully done! It's really hard to find narration that's as great as the story content, but this narrator was spot on and made the book that much more enjoyable. Definitely worth a read whatever format you choose!
M.C. Muhlenkamp
I don't know where to start. The premise of the book is fantastic, and the characters are so quirky and individual you can't help liking them, or hating them respectively. I found myself rooting for Marcus the entire way through and the final battle is by far my favorite part of the book. The relationship between Marcus and Ellie (brother and sister) reminded me a lot of Fablehaven, the novel by Brandon Mull. As did the involvement of the grandparents. But the concept of the book is very differe ...more
Karen Stephans
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great for all ages. Entertaining. Unexpected twists.
The Magic Shop - The Shadow Magic Series Book 1 by Justin Swapp and narrated by Steve Barnes. I listened to the audio version of this book. This is a great story for adults and / or children. The audio version is 11 ½ hours of pure entertainment. Magic, adventures, action and unexpected twists will keep you listening to this story.
The main characters are Marcus and Ellie who live with their grandparents over their magic shop. The children don
Linda Ulleseit
This novel begins as typical kids are in conflict with their grandparents, who are raising them. The grandparents decide Marcus and his sister, Ellie, would benefit from helping in the store that is the family business, the Magic Shop.

Marcus hates magic, but his interest blossoms as he gradually learns that the family business is a front for something much more dangerous, and as his own magic develops.

This novel is full of wonderful characters as well as plot twists that keep you wondering exact
Pinal
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After reading amazing feedbacks from readers, I knew this is a great book; however, I realized it first hand when I completed the entire book in two sittings.

This is a amazing story of youth, who loves magic, adventures, twists, and thrills. Marcus is very engaging and lovable character and along with his twin sister Ellie (confession - it is my favorite character even though Marcus is the hero of the story). I just can't wait for my daughter to grow up 5 more years and read this book which has
Brent C.
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Magic Shop is an exciting story of adventure and discovery in a world filled with mystery and danger. Join young Marcus and Ellie as they guide readers through this world on a journey of self discovery. Besides struggling with questions of identity, family and confidence, they will have to make decisions that affect those around them. The story grabbed me early and kept me interested with the action, twists, turns and characters. Sometimes heartfelt and at others funny, the story is a well b ...more
Susan
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Marcus and his sister Ellie live an ordinary life with their grandparents who own a magic shop. But slowly their quiet family life turns into one of magical adventure with secrets and evil around every corner.

In the first half of the book, Marcus refuses to see the signs of what is to come, sometimes to a frustrating extent. But the second half of the book takes off and works into a frenzy of magical experiences. The list of characters grows as good fights off evil. The climactic ending leaves a
Great Middle Grad...: UK Audible Reviewers 1 10 Sep 12, 2018 06:23AM
Goodreads Librari...: New tranlsation 3 23 Jan 28, 2017 02:58PM
Making Connections: 4652. - THE MAGIC SHOP by Justin Swapp 1 6 Oct 29, 2016 09:20AM
All About YA : This topic has been closed to new comments. R2R: The Magic Shop [CLOSED] 11 29 Jun 19, 2015 09:31AM
All About YA : The Magic Shop 8 27 Jan 10, 2015 10:19AM

• The Wrath of Lords (Warden of Fál Book 1)
  • The Last Conversation (Forward collection)
  • Second Hand Curses
  • Powered (Mech Wars #1)
  • Dynamo (Mech Wars #2)
  • Infliction (Mech Wars #4)
  • Meltdown (Mech Wars #3)
  • Marvels, Mochas, and Murder (Comics and Coffee Case Files, #1)
  • The Evil of Father (The Father Earth Series Book 1)
  • Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships: Decoding Social Mysteries Through Autism's Unique Perspectives
  • Supercarrier (The Ixan Prophecies #1)
  • Juggernaut (The Ixan Prophecies #2)
  • Reckoning (The Ixan Prophecies #3)
  • Unofficial Detective (Half-Wizard Thordric Book 1)
  • Into the Woods (Warriors Manga: Tigerstar & Sasha, #1)
  • Jukebox Joyride
  • The Adventures of Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent (Tom Stranger, Interdimensional Insurance Agent, #1)
  • The Blood of Kings (Warden of Fál Book 2)

Justin was born with an active imagination on a U.S. naval base in Spain, but has spent most of his life in the shadows of the Rocky Mountains of Utah. He is bilingual, and has lived all over the world. He has four children; two boys, and two girls, and one wife. He doesn't have any pets that he's aware of, but his c

Shadow Magic (2 books)
  • The Shadow's Servant (Shadow Magic, #2)