Start by marking “A Sting in the Tale: A Collection of Short Stories” as Want to Read:
A Sting in the Tale: A Collection of Short Stories

A Sting in the Tale: A Collection of Short Stories

A Collection of Short Stories from the Twisted Mind of Matt Shaw, based upon the fears of some of his readers.
Stories included:
A Mother's Love
Plane Crazy
The Last Will & Testament of Norman Fielding
Lost Love
Road Rage
Published June 24th 2015

To ask other readers questions about A Sting in the Tale, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sting in the Tale

christina cooper
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What are you scared of

Nothing is scarier to read about than your own personal everyday fears! You think your fear is boring? Not if you have Matt Shaw write about it, trust me!
Ronald Keeler
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This collection of short stories A Sting In The Tale by Matt Shaw contains five short stories in a total of 88 pages. Carry it around on you reading device. It will “speak” to you when the folks you were to meet earlier won't. Books are more punctual than people. As is my usual practice, I will comment on each of the five stories.

A Mother’s Love Jade Velasquez couldn't understand why her son didn't want to eat. She had fixed his favorite food. Not only did he not want to eat, he claimed Nuggets
Joanne
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really like short stories. You get the build-up of the story, the tension, and the resolution and then you get to read another story. This book contains five stories:

1. A Mother's Love - This is the story of a woman who loves her son too much. She probably suffers from depression and guilt and she doesn't know what she'd do if she didn't have her son. She has a loving boyfriend, but that isn't enough. This isn't a horror story. It' a tragic tale of obsessive love. 5 stars

2. Plane Crazy - This
John Haake
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a very fast read. I really only liked two of the included stories. One about the reading of a will, and the other about a terrible drive home from work.

Reading the description of the book I think I was expecting something more along the lines of twilight zone, but that isn't what this collection of stories is like. I was pleased by the unexpected nature of these stories.

I read these with my wife - she was less impressed with any of this material. She did enjoy the will reading story -- a
Kirsty Southern-Evans
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Plane crazy was based my on fears . Have to give it to Matt he utterly nailed it . I laughed because he captured mine & husbands relationship perfectly & cried at the graphic description of some parts .
I throughly enjoyed the other short stories & all the twists & turns during each one.
Must be so hard to do stories like this but he does them so well.
Vickie
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was ok
This compilation was okay. In my opinion, the stories were more ironic then actually scary. They kept my interest but I was not particularly scared of them. I think this is a good read but nothing memorable.
Cindy Downton
Sep 14, 2015 rated it liked it
These stories were not too predictable but also not too scary. The book seemed to go by very quickly with not much keep one interested. Not what I had hoped for.

I will have to read more from this author to know if I like his work. Just find him so-so now.

Michael Elliott
Nov 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nicely diverse collection

My introduction to Matt Shaw was from reading his other collection Bite Size. That had tales of full on horror and gore, the squeamish will appreciate this one more as the stories are more suspense and dread. Some great psychological thrillers here.
andrea hearn
Aug 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Always entertaining

I love what Matt Shaw does with the written word. The fact that I can pick up one of his books and lose myself for as long as I would like. Another winner from Matt.
Chrissy
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good read

I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a good scary tale. Definite creep factor in these stories. Loved it
Jack
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Nice little collection of short stories.
Hannah
Nov 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting tales

Fun little stories with a twist at the end, some obvious, some not so much. Well worth a look :)
Shadow Girl
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
FRTC
Andrea Simunovich
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Stung

Some of the stories truly had surprising endings, but some of them were pretty pedestrian. I feel that if I can figure out the end of the story, it could be better written.
Frankie Yates
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My story is 'Lost Love' and it is literally all of my worst fears crammed into a few pages. I cried like a baby when I read it. Matt is a wonderful writer and an evil evil genius.
sherill higgins
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Creeper

Excellent,awesome,wonderful set of stories. I wonder or measure this author alongside the best st of them,King, Koonz etc..........I will continue to hunt down Matt Shea.
Jonathan
Dec 15, 2015
Debbie Smith
Jul 07, 2016
kathi l cuoco
rated it did not like it
Dec 01, 2015
Book lover
Apr 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Biography

MATT SHAW was born, quite by accident (his mother tripped, he shot out) September 30th 1980 in Winchester hospital where he was immediately placed on the baby ward and EBay. Some twelve years later (wandering the corridors of the hospital and playing with road kill when he was on day release), the listing closed and he remained unsold, he was booted out of the hospital to start his life a
“She doesn’t need to go to prison. She doesn’t need to be locked away like a wild animal. She just needs help. But that in itself was a problem; despite advances in medicines and science - people still didn’t really understand mental health and, a lot of the time, the people who needed proper help fell by the wayside and ended up being treated just the same as the real monsters of the world.” 0 likes