Start by marking “Sandition” as Want to Read:
Sandition

Sandition

A gentleman and a lady travelling from Tunbridge towards that part of the Sussex coast which lies between Hastings and Eastbourne, being induced by business to quit the high road and attempt a very rough lane, were overturned in toiling up its long ascent, half rock, half sand. The accident happened just beyond the only gentleman's house near the lane—a house which their d ...more
Paperback
Published (first published 1925)

To ask other readers questions about Sandition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sandition

Kalliope

Even though I read a biography of Jane Austen recently, as part of my homage to her as in 2017 we are commemorating two hundred years since she died, it has not been until I have read this unfinished novel that I have felt the sorrow at her early death.

Her prose is superb. It flows even though it is clearly sharply forged. Her observant eye is acute and her humorous irony is as keen as a scalpel. And her subtle references to the world in which she wrote and lived, with the West Indian fortunes a
Nikoleta
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
Η Ώστεν για ακόμη μία φορά διεισδύει στα ενδότερα της βρετανικής κοινωνίας με πολύ κέφι και καυστικό χιόυμορ… πολύ λυπάμαι που αυτό το έργο δεν ολοκληρώθηκε. Είναι φανερό ότι εαν ολοκληρωνόταν θα μιλούσαμε για ακόμη ένα αριστούργημα της αγαπημένης συγγραφέως. Δυστυχώς ήταν πολύ λίγο για να το χαρώ.
Teresa
Reread -- I read it in this edition: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

I won’t rate this as it was unfinished at the time of Austen’s death (12 chapters that add up to fewer than 60 pages in my edition) but it was on its way to being at least a 4-star read.

The words flow: there’s nary a breath in the characters’ speeches, yet they are easy to follow. The skewering of the rich with too much time on their hands—their obsessive land speculations, their ridiculous hypochondria, their dangerou
Katie Lumsden
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting read. How I wished she'd finished it!
Laurel
A satirical look at 19th-century business speculation, hypocondria and novel reading

On the 27th January, 1817 Jane Austen began work on a novel that is now known as Sanditon. It was never completed. Her declining health robbed her of what she dearly loved most, writing, and on the 18th of March 1817 after penning 22,000 words she wrote the last lines of chapter twelve and put down her pen. Four months later at age 41 she would succumb to what is generally believed to have been Addison’s disease.
Cyndi
Apr 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This story was such a good start. Of course, we who love Jane Austen know that she couldn't finish it, because of her illness. So we will have to wonder where the story goes.
The story follows a group of people at a health spa, so you gotta figure this went along with her illness and the many methods she used to treat herself. The characters in the story are funny and well developed in just a short while. I always wonder if she based her characters on people she knew or an amalgamation of peopl
Dani Jade
Disappointing that Austen sadly never got to finish this, it had the beginnings of a charming story.
Jason Koivu
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A good start to what could have been...
Diane S ☔
2.5 It seems that one is either and Jane Austen fan or one is not. I apparently am not. It n=may have been the fashion of the time, to use twenty words when 5 will suffice but all that round and round just makes my head hurt. I do like her ironic perception on how people secretly feel and view others but in this one there is not much of that. So this will be my last Jane Austen and I cannot say I am sorry. After all many people dislike Middle march and I love it.
Kailey (BooksforMKs)
I am so pleased with this uncompleted last novel of Jane Austen's that was finished by "another lady". It tells the story of Charlotte Heywood who is visiting friends in a seaside town called Sanditon. Charlotte meets all the respectable society of Sanditon, and spends most of her time observing their characters and deciding if she should laugh at them, pity them, befriend them, or scorn them. She herself is very unassuming and sensible, but when the charming Mr. Sidney Parker comes on the scene ...more
Sotiris Karaiskos
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
The epilogue of Jane Austen's literally life, 12 chapters from a book that was never finished, as the illness that would eventually deprive her of life shortly after, eventually made writing impossible. In these chapters we see the beginning of a story that seems to revolve around the phenomenon of seaside resorts that sprouted as mushrooms on the English shores at that time. There real and imaginary patients as well as healthy people went to apply the latest medical fashion that believed that s ...more
Serena.. Sery-ously?
QUESTO mi è piaciuto!
Le sorelle ipocondriache sono il top, amate tantissimo, AHAHAHAHAH!
E valà, anche io sono finalmente riuscita a cogliere la famosa ironia della Austen, che forse fino ad ora era stata troppo timida per presentarsi.. :D

bookczuk
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to bookczuk by: Bumma
This represents the last writings of Jane Austen. She put the work aside in March of 1817, and died 4 months later. The novel remained unfinished, but at some point another took up the pen to complete it, and the flyleaf of this edition (Houghton Mifflin Company, 1975) bears the inscription of Jane Austen and Another Lady (who apparently is names Anne Telscombe).

Starting to read this book, I found myself entering into that singular rhythm found in Austen novel; smiling to myself at the quaintnes
Judy
Feb 13, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the part written by Austen, which I loved and found surprisingly different from her other novels, going off in new directions.

I hesitated over whether to read the part by "Another Lady" (an Australian writer called Marie Dobbs), but in the end carried on. I did quite enjoy her part too, but it isn't much like Austen really, although she does have a dry, witty tone and sometimes gets in some quite Austen-like weighted sentences - here's an example:
"Removed for some time from the influenc
Abigail
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Determined Jane Austen Fans
I wouldn't like to say that it was impossible for another author to complete Jane Austen's unfinished novel, Sandition, or to pen a sequel worthy of her masterpieces, but I have simply never seen it done. Sadly, this book did not prove me wrong...

I am not sure who "Another Lady" may be, but as admirable as I find her attempt, her prose is no match for the witty Jane, and I recall being instantly aware of the change in authorship, when passing from the eleventh to the twelfth chapter. How I wish
Lu
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opera rimasta incompiuta a causa del decesso dell’autrice, ricorderà in eterno la sua folgorante e sopraffina ironia. Seppur arrechi tristezza, non deve mancare nelle letture degli appassionati di Jane Austen!
Madeline Wright
I should admit that I only read this so that I would be ready to experience the "Welcome to Sanditon" webseries which starts today (Find it on youtube). The book itself is an unfinished story/manuscript by Jane Austen that doesn't quite have much of a plot. Storywise it's a sparse, meandering introduction to the place and the people involved in a health resort town by the sea called Sanditon.

There's also a bit of backstory about the Denhams and the Parker family with several hypochondriac membe
Ena Rusnjak Markovic
Totally devastated that Austen died before finishing this book. It's so funny and smart and promising. Signals an interesting turn in setting. I just would have loved to have seen it realised. It makes me despair that she was taken from us in her prime. I wonder what her ouvre would look like had she lived longer.
Gaetano
Piacevole da leggere anche se evidentemente incompleto.

Indispensabile lettura per chi... vuole leggere TUTTO di Jane Austen!
Melissa
Oct 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Another unfinished tale...enough to get you interested and wet your appetite, If only she’s had time to finish this tale, I want to know what happens next.
Holly
By my mid-20s, I'd read all of Austen's finished novels at least twice. When I was living in Asia in the mid 80s, I read Pride and Prejudice three times in one week because I had such limited access to good literature in English, and P&P was SO good. At this point I've read all the finished novels at least half a dozen times, and P&P probably close to 20. I seriously like her work.

But I never read Sanditon because, well, I thought it would bum me out.

And it sort of did. I really wish s
Siria
This is one of the more visually interesting editions of a Jane Austen novel that I own—admittedly I'm a little confused as to why there is a chicken on the cover, but it is striking.

I'm never sure, when reading Sanditon, if it reads as it does because it was a rough draft written by a woman already very ill, or if it is evidence of a change in Austen's writing style. In its subject matter and themes, it feels more early Victorian than Regency. With such a small scrap of a novel, it's hard to d
Pgchuis
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read this unfinished novel ready for the next Pemberley Digital adaptation. Very funny. Wish she had lived to finish it.
Courtney Hatch
Jul 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2018
Had to read this unfinished Austen novel since it will be adapted by Masterpiece soon. I didn’t read a version that had been finished by another author, so it just abruptly ends right when the story starts to really pick up. Its hard to review an unfinished novel, especially one that was never edited, but what I read was awesome. Sandition is hilarious and almost cruel in its sharp critique of the upper class. I soooooo wish I knew the fate of these people (especially the awful men haha). It was ...more
Leah
Jul 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I am sorry to say I didn't love this book, but it could be because it most notably ended when it was just beginning. So much potential that it really is quite a tragedy Jane Austen died before she could give the world one last gem. I will only give it 4 stars for what could have been, for though the setting up was slow and a little tedious, I was interested enough to wish for more, and 3 stars would be ungenerous given the author had no authority over her untimely and early demise.
Roberta
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So sorry that she died before completing this book (as well as many others!), as it has all of the markings of a fun, typical J.A. Book!
Plan to locate and read the version where someone else finished this book..... maybe?
Apr 27, 2018 added it
It is hard to rate a book that is unfinished, but I am sure this would have been 4 or 5 stars for me. I love the setting, and I have found the humor in this book delightful. It is unfortunate that Jane Austen was unable to finish it.
Cynda
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am glad to see Austen's story about the English Coast. I remember when in Emma Isabella and her family go to the coast for a healthyear vacation and when in Emma Lydia go to the coast and found a disreputable husband. I had wondered why Austen did not write and publish a coastal or watering story. Here is it.
This story Jane stopped writing when her father died. Big Life Change. I would have so like to seen how she would dealt with the aristocratic family, particularly the young man's romantic
Briar Rose
It was really hard to read this knowing it was just a fragment of an unfinished novel. I expected to be frustrated and disappointed. But I wasn't. I loved reading it. Although this is just an early draft, and Austen no-doubt would have reworked the manuscript before publication, there's a fully realised book here. The 11 chapters are a perfect start to a novel, sketching out an impoverished heroine, a seaside town and its eccentric inhabitants, and hinting at some intrigue and romance.

This desc

• There Must Be Murder
  • A Dance with Jane Austen: How a Novelist and Her Characters Went to the Ball
  • Jane Austen and Food
  • Cozy Classics: Pride and Prejudice
  • Mr Darcy’s Guide to Courtship: The Secrets of Seduction from Jane Austen’s Most Eligible Bachelor
  • Fitzwilliam Darcy Such I Was
  • A River Too Deep (People of the Book, #1)
  • Jane Austen: An Illustrated Treasury
  • The List Lover's Guide to Jane Austen
  • Longbourn's Unexpected Matchmaker
  • Willoughby's Return: A Tale of Almost Irresistible Temptation
  • Die Säulen der Erde / Die Tore der Welt
  • So You Think You Know Jane Austen?
  • Don't Ask Me Why
  • A Pemberley Medley
Jane Austen was an English novelist whose works of romantic fiction, set among the landed gentry, earned her a place as one of the most widely read writers in English literature, her realism and biting social commentary cementing her historical importance among scholars and critics.

Austen lived her entire life as part of a close-knit family located on the lower fringes of the English landed gentry