Start by marking “Scripture as Communication: Introducing Biblical Hermeneutics” as Want to Read:
Scripture as Communication: Introducing Biblical Hermeneutics

Scripture as Communication: Introducing Biblical Hermeneutics

Is the Bible just a book of ancient Israelite and Christian history and practices to be read? Or are we engaging in a more interactive practice when we study God's word? Jeannine K. Brown believes that communication is at the heart of what we do when we open the Bible, that we are actively engaging God in a conversation that can be life changing. By learning about how Scri ...more
Published March 1st 2007 by Baker Academic

To ask other readers questions about Scripture as Communication, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scripture as Communication

Porter Sprigg
This is a great approach to biblical interpretation. Exploring the biblical message in light of speech-act theory is very helpful. I feel like I’ve been using this approach a lot during my life but to see it articulated in a thoughtful and culturally engaging way is exciting and helps make sense of how different people approach God’s Word differently.
Chloé Bennett
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: grad-school
This is a beautiful understanding of how to read and interpret scripture which builds its understanding from scratch, beginning with definitions and building up from there. Some of my classmates found the structure of the text difficult to follow (which I thought was worth mentioning), but I loved it.
Adam Lambdin
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It was a great journey through strong interpretive theory in the first half, then the author shifted gears and focused on practical interpretive strategies in the latter half of the book. She really formed something of an eclectic viewpoint bringing out interpretive principles from an author and reader-centered perspectives, but she defines meaning in relation to the authorial intent of the original author without thinking that we can peer into the mental acts of the original author in composing ...more
Todd Miles
Jan 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: hermeneutics
At first glance, this book fills a void in the hermeneutics library because it utilizes Speech Act Theory as its organizing principle. That being said, it fails, ultimately, to deliver. Brown addresses many significant issues, but as an introductory hermeneutics text, she does not interact with literary genres at all (apart from the appendix). This could be used as a supplemental text, but definitely not as the primary text.
David
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read this for my hermeneutics class this semester. VERY complex - especially for people who haven't had previous exposure to communication theory. Fortunately, I had, and it made some areas of this book much more enjoyable than they otherwise might have been. Bordering on a must-read for modern interpreters of Scripture.
Randy Hulshizer
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hermenetics
Scholarly exploration of biblical hermeneutics. I didn't agree with everything the author said, but she did a good job of supporting her views. This is not really a "How-To" manual, so if that's what you're looking for, look elsewhere.
Shari
Feb 17, 2013 rated it liked it
Good if you're into this sort of thing. Very microscopic! I had to give it a three because I learned from it, but it was painful to get through.
Jen Owen
A book for class, but pretty good. written by a Minnesotan!
Josue Manriquez
Jan 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book for those interested in hermeneutics.
Philip Mcduffie
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hermeneutics
Good resource to help one read the Bible well.
Patty Rose
Sep 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: macfm
I appreciated the knowledge this book gave me, but it took some time to adjust my reading style to understand everything!
Murph Hutson
Oct 09, 2017
Maggie
Sep 05, 2010
Steve James
A book for school. I'm going to read it again to see if I can understand it better. Pretty dense at first (to me anyway). This is not the type of book that's in my wheelhouse.
Katie Agre