Start by marking “La reina roja (La reina roja, #1)” as Want to Read:
La reina roja (La reina roja, #1)

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

La reina roja

(Red Queen #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  470,552 ratings  ·  40,418 reviews
Ambientada en un reino imaginario, esta novela nos muestra a una sociedad dividida por el color de la sangre. Por un lado está la gente común que tiene sangre roja; por el otro tenemos a aquellos que poseen sangre plateada y que tienen habilidades sobrenaturales. Estos últimos forman una élite cerrada y llena de privilegios. La protagonista es Mare, una chica de sangre roj ...more
Published September 2nd 2015 by Océano Gran Travesía (first published February 10th 2015)

·  470,552 ratings  ·  40,418 reviews

Start your review of La reina roja (La reina roja, #1)
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

This book didn't start out terribly.

I mean, come on . . . royals with superpowers? And a heroine from amongst the downtrodden servant class? Okay, yes, that does sound kind of familiar, especially considering that said downtrodden heroine is a Red, but beyond that I didn't feel like there were many similarities. And as much as I love Red Rising and Golden Son , I would jump all over it if I thought this book was a copycat.

BUT. Sold as I was (at first), the heavy-handed descriptions and compar
Rachel E. Carter
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-paperback
“Graceling meets Selection” Whatever marketing team came up with that tag for this series clearly never read the book. Red Queen is Game of Thrones with Katniss as the Mockingjay with X-Men in a tantalizing YA twist of magical perfection.

description

Three quotes that summarize this series spoiler-free:

”Anyone can betray anyone.” Meet the Lannisters Silver Court and their current royal family.

”Make no mistake, my girl. You are playing the game as someone’s pawn.”

”I am a fool.”

Emily May
Jul 28, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc, young-adult, 2014
I just... can't do it.

It was boring, light and silly, and I'm pretty sure I've already read the basic premise of this book in Pierce Brown's Red Rising.

I made it to 60% on my kindle and then skimmed for a bit, but I've been attempting to read this book for over a week now and the magic was evidently lost on me. When you're reading a book and you reach a point where you think "is it too soon to DNF this?", you know things must be bad. It's so sad, though, because everything about The Red Queen was just screaming "
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
this was a re-read for me.
my original review can be found here:
goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
youtube: https://youtu.be/kKQ5jusa8fo

After re-reading this, I stand by my original 4 star rating and my overall enjoyment of this book. I want to make it clear that I know this book does not have the most original concept and it also uses a lot of tropes, but I still had such a fun time reading it. I love the characters and the shock factor and the world. I can't wait to give Glass Sword a go and see where Victoria Aveyard takes this story.
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
This was fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed this crazy adventure of a book. I will say though that it did take a bit of time for me to really get into this book. I also felt the world is still a bit underdeveloped for my liking, but I'm hoping that I gain a better understanding for everything in the sequel. Other than that such an exciting read, full of twists and turns that will leave you flailing all over the place! HECK I'M STILL FLAILING.
Sasha Alsberg
Feb 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
That plot twist though....
That betrayal though....
MIND = BLOWN
Red Queen was fantastic, especially the ending! Wow!
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Actual rating : 1.5 stars

So, this is the 2015 mind-blowing release?

I'm just so fucking bored. UNDERWHELMED is the word.

Mare is a selfish brat who can't shut up one second to look at something else than herself. She keeps acting without thinking and gets numerous people harmed/killed.

She's a special snowflake through and through, because she's special you know and nothing can be done without her.

She's in a constant need of saving and doesn't even acknowledge that fact.

There is a love-triangle (square?) but it's not what annoys me. The fact that I can't bring
Miranda Reads
description

You know that feeling when you read a particularly bad YA and you just have to set down the book and ask, why?

Why in the world did someone give the ok to publish this mess?

Why are the characters so effing dumb?

Why did I even pick this book up?

This happens (on average) once per YA book for me... and Aveyard's book was so far above average that I was honestly impressed.

This book had me questioning everything

WHY is everything always Mare's fault?

Her sister getting caught for stealing? Totally Mare's fault.

Rebel uprising? Totall
Lola
Apr 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 1/2 stars.

‘‘You are not Silver. Your parents are Red, you are Red, and your blood is red,’’ the queen murmurs, prowling before the bars of my cage. ‘‘You are a miracle, Mare Barrow, an impossibility. Something even I can’t understand, and I have seen all of you.’’

I can’t wait for this book to become a movie. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoyed this enormously, but I simply know I’ll love it even more on the big screen. That way, we will actually see, in colour and with all its intensity, the Silver’s ab/>
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm sure it's great if you liked Red Rising. I did not like Red Rising.

DNFed this around the 20% mark. I hated the main character. Stupid, selfish, destructive brat intent on destroying the lives of her loved ones with all the makings of a special snowflake. I cannot stand selfishness when it involves harming the lives of innocents. I can't tolerate this character. I can't finish this book. It's been a month since I tried to read on and it's just pointless.
Ben Alderson
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OMG OMG AMAZING! I WILL BE REVIEWING SOON!
Steph Sinclair
YAAAAAASSSS VICTORIA YAAAAAASSSSSS.

It's like an X-Men dystopia stuck in a high fantasy world on crack.

x-men

Look, guys, don't worry about the love triangle. Actually, calling it a love triangle is very spoilerish and I wish I could further calm your feels, but alas, you must read it for yourself.

Immensely loved this with very minor reservations and I can't wait for b
Zoë
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 19/100 for 2015

UPDATE: Giving it 3 stars because it's only been three months and I've already forgotten everything about this book. I enjoyed reading it, but it was so similar to many other YA books that it's not memorable.

WOAH. That was an intense book and I really enjoyed it! I am a sucker for superpowers and this book had such a cool variety of them! I was so into this book that I stayed up very, very late two nights in a row so I could see what happened next. It was a little predi
Sana
Red Queen? more like Trash Queen, hmm yes, much better.

I wish I kept putting this book off until I eventually died someday. I would have been saved from the incredible fucking boredom and dumb ass characters.

Actual footage of me crying because I wasted three days on this book when I could have been reading good quality smut:
description

Okay, but why was this book so lon
Regan
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-owned-read
3.5, over hyped but entertaining enough.
Aimee ♥ | Aimee, Always

Reading Red Queen was like receiving sour candy when you were expecting some glorious sugary sweets. I just felt so much disappointment after turning the last page, since I was expecting a fresh new story out of this one.

This book had so much potential, but after a few chapters of reading, I got this sense of déjà vu, and yup, you guessed it, this book was a cardboard cut-out of all your favorite YA novels put together.

Exhibit A: There are the Reds, slaves the Silvers, who are amazing beings with odd powers. The Reds don't do much to eit,
myra
Mar 07, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: did-not-like
This is the Walmart version of The Hunger Games.
Lia
“I am finally learning my lesson. Anyone can betray anyone.”

red queen by victoria aveyard? more like red queen by victoria graveyard, because that's where this book put me.

No, okay, listen.
Let me explain why this book was a no-no for me.

We could say most of my problems with this book are to blame on wrong timing.
I'm firmly convinced that if I read it something like six years ago, I probably would have liked it. Not loved it, but it would have definitely gained a couple more stars and a bit more attention from my part.

Unfortunately, I picked it up to
~Poppy~
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I am finally learning my lesson. Anyone can betray anyone.”

Ohhh Goddd!! What a plot twist.
In the entire book I was like:
hmmm team Cal. No!! Team Maven.. Hmm Team Cal.. Team Maven.. Team Cal&Maven :P

And then:

I did not see that coming.. Julian was so right!!!
"He is his mother's son.”

Why???Why?? Why did he do that to us??I loved him..

“I told you to hide your heart once. You should have listened.”

"Cal betrayed me, and I betrayed him. And you
right!!!
Kiki
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good lord in heaven! What in the name of Yves Saint Laurent was THAT?

You know how cigarette packets come with those white panels on the front that say SMOKING KILLS and SMOKING SERIOUSLY HARMS YOU AND OTHERS AROUND YOU? This book should carry one of those labels. It would say, THIS BOOK IS REALLY GENERIC.

It's not that it's bad. Well. Okay. Look, I'm trying to be diplomatic. This book was bad, but it's not the sort of thing that, if you're interested, you shouldn't read. T
Mohammed Arabey

10% 1984 + 15% Hunger Games + 10% X-Men + 10% Games of Thrones + 15% Divergent..
That'd leave us with only 40% of Original Red Queen..

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed it ,I may even held extra +rating till part 2 if it gets more of the Original Red Queen storyline..
What really bugs me here was the many Deja vus from HG and Divergent since I didn't like the latter's plot much.
But let's see step by step with The Red..

That'd leave us with only 40% of Original Red Queen..

But let's see step by step with The Red..

The Plot and the Setting
--------------------
1-10% of 1984

In an Orwellian atmosphere of Destopia, we're in Norta, a country that in a constant war with neighbour countries..
The Elite push the low class citizens into Poverty..and fight in wars..
And to kill any think of a rebellion ,they're watching Everyone, even -specifically- those closed to the king in the Palace.
'Camera's are everywhere' and the communication means between the low class almost nonexist..although there's a good technology there.

2- 15% of Hunger Games

Every boy and girl of the low class, once turned seventeen, must go to Conscription, unless working for someone... and they who just fights in the front lines only
By the time they finish their time they are lost an arm, a leg, or just dead..

The workers always paid low of course, and there's this part of Norta -this district- where just factories and technology workers, it's very polluted that skies are dark with smoke , the people in this district can never see the sun..
oh , and there's a nuclear polluted area -district-as well, that the elites and government 'believe' it can't be crossed -Does the revolutionaries believe that too?

To show how powerful the 'Elite' are , just to erase any rebellion ideas, every first Friday the low class are forced to gather and witness dangerous arena fighting between two of the elite...WHAT? HOW?

3- 10% of X-Men

The Elite are Silvers...Silver blood...they have supernatural abilities , mutant powers... such as one can control wind , one can move ultra fast, one can control metal, ....etc..

at this world they are the elite, they who rule the normals, powerless humans, the Red bloods, Reds.

4- 10% of Game of Thrones

The Silvers families are houses, Every house has a certain ability and power..
They're all Elite , yes..but there's major big houses and some mundane ones..
Every House has certain 2 colours or more, used for costumes..

There's a big party for the King's son,the Prince..the heir of the Throne to choose a wife from one of the big houses, The chosen princess , the Future Queen..
And every girl show the power of her house..
so this party is actually a girlie Game of Thrones...

What's really bugged me here that it supposed to be modern, in the future...a dystopia... but the whole references to villages, markets, houses,swords,places and Kings and thrones, and mixing that with cameras, electricity , guns..aeroplanes and under-trains made me keep distracted between visualising the novel in my head as old times, and new futuristic one..

5- 15% of Divergent

HERE comes our Mare, The Red... who is just a normal Katniss Everdean-like , law breaker, have a sense of rebellion..yet it's her sister who have work and support the family after her 3 brothers went to the army..so will she when she 17.

But everything change when she tried to save her best -kinda only- friend with help of some revolutionaries, and then meeting a charming Cal/the Prince...The Heir to the Throne..

And only when he helped her to work at the Palace as a servant, and while the Game of the candidates princesses and future Queen is on, a huge revelation about Mare is just Out...
She has Power..just like the Silver Bloods..She can control Electricity, and even more powerful than the Silvers...she , the Red , has powers of the silvers...

She's the Little Lighting Girl..

And by the story goes, you'll see how it like Divergents in the Divergent series, tracking and hunting them down...

But with a new story of Love, some of it totally unconvincing.
And a new Betrayal story that's totally very good written, although a bit predictable for me..

So now you know all the basic story line..

Can't say I didn't like it...I did since I love most of the elements , but the mix was confusing me a lot with the style of old kings era and the new tech.

**********************
The Characters
-------------
I didn't like Mare that much, her relation with her friend was very annoying to me , may be because of his shallow character ...but can't deny that I get attached to her by the final chapters which was thrilling.

The rest of the characters were ranged from very good to very shallow or just similar to other characters of the previous 5 major novels..
I liked Maven , he's very well written, Cal was perfect most of the times too...so does the Queen...who reminded me a bit with Queen Cersei Lannister from GOT.

The Old master Julian and his back story was good to although remind me of The Giver's master
Also I wished to shed more light into the world before...but can't hope much..

Will wait for the next part..I really hope it'd be better and more original...

PS: A big respect to the author for her 'Aknowledgement' part where she mentioned many authors, Directors and Screenwriters that inspired her..and mentioning J.K. Rowling and George R.R. Martin' ..

Mohammed Arabey
From 1 Aug. 2015
To 4 Aug. 2015
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
A lot of people were mentioning that this was like a lot of different dystopian books and while I agree, I still think this is worth the read.
I enjoyed the world, the magic system... even with the romantic bits.
I definitely saw parts of the ending coming but it was still entertaining!

Will be continuing the series!
jessica
Feb 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
have i already read countless variations of this plot in other books? you betcha.
does that mean i enjoyed this any less? no way, josé!

call me predictable (just like this book), but i guess i have a type and its YA dystopian series with a touch of fantasy.

4 stars
Adam Silvera
Finished my reread on audio! Love the narrator. And this read was extra fun since I knew all the major twists and got to watch the characters barrel into danger and deception. Jumping into GLASS SWORD today for the first time. RED QUEEN binge, yay!

Here's a review I wrote back in 2015 for Shelf Awareness:

Victoria Aveyard's thrilling debut throws readers into a futuristic fantasy world of clashing countries, segregation and a rebellion that depends on a young thief.

In the
Jess
It’s getting a little hot in here, isn’t it? That’s because Red Queen has unearthed what I never thought could occur: A mini Darkling. That’s right. Yet another morally ambiguous character and I am sold.

I’m a book pusher and I’m going to push this one right into your hearts. Red Queen is the fantasy that I’ve been searching for. You’ve probably all heard the comparisons before and honestly, they speak the truth. Red Queen took the best elements from all our favourites (and our not so much) tales and smushed th
L A i N E Y
Time moves slowly when you're waiting for something good.

The fact that Aveyard just bashed her own book, in her own book either means she's a real riot and cleverly self-deprecating OR she really had no self-awareness. Judging from the protagonist in her story, I'd lean on the latter.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

(semi) buddy read : Belle & Frankie

Lainey
Feb 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: to watch my non-spoiler book review + book talk on RED QUEEN click below:

I have a lot of feelings about this book. Few of them are good, some... aren't so good. I actually knew I wouldn't truly be able to rate it until after I thought about it for a few days, and I'm pretty content with my rating as of now.

There is a lot of hype surrounding this book, that much is obvious. I read it for the Carpe
Steysha Kravits
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Me after the end of the book:

It`s soooo good, guys! Can`t say that for sure, but I guess it`s the best dystopian fantasy of the year! Everything you loved from The Selection, The Grisha trilogy, The Winner’s Curse can be found here!

The plot is furnished with mystery and intrigues of the royal family, forbidden love, the will to win, the inequality between the two races and, most importantly, the revolution! Along with Mare, we wi
Elise (TheBookishActress)
My friend Claire commented that “Red Queen” is a genre now, and I think that is a sadly accurate point. There is nothing truly horrifically bad about this book. There's just nothing good either. It's fascinating to me that a book with nothing new or special has become such a hyped fave. The concept Aveyard came up with here is solid - dark, gritty, full of morally black characters. The lead is somewhat of an antiheroine. So what, exactly, is wrong here?

First of all, there is very little actual

• The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1)
  • Divergent (Divergent, #1)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Matched (Matched, #1)
  • The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
  • Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass, #2)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
I'm a screenwriter/YA author who likes books and lists. This site is the nexus of my universe.

My book RED QUEEN will be published Winter 2015 from HarperTeen at HarperCollins. I'm repped by the incomparable Suzie Townsend at New Leaf Literary & Media, Inc.

The genres I'm into include YA, Fantasy, Historical, Adventure, Apocalyptic - if people are dying, I'm buying.

Red Queen (4 books)
  • Glass Sword (Red Queen, #2)
  • King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)
  • War Storm (Red Queen, #4)
“The truth is what I make it. I could set this world on fire and call it rain.” 2333 likes
“Anyone can betray anyone.” 1778 likes