Jump to ratings and reviews
A match made by the goddess is threatened by an Ancient Evil.

As Samantha and Robrek prepare for their marriage and coronation, they are met with opposition on all sides. Not all believe that the peasant sorcerer is worthy to be king, and the young couple must perform delicate political maneuvers to prevent the joined kingdoms from breaking apart.

As the church splits over opposition to their union, an unseen force is poised to release an ancient evil that was last defeated a thousand years ago. When the Soul Stone is broken free of its bonds, all life in its path succumbs to its power. How much will the new royal couple have to sacrifice to free the joined kingdoms of its evil?

408 pages, Paperback

First published April 1, 2015

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jamie Marchant

14 books357 followers
Jamie began writing stories about the man from Mars when she was six, and she never remembers wanting to be anything other than a writer. Everyone told her she needed a back up plan, so she pursued a Ph.D. in American literature, which she received in 1998. She started teaching writing and literature at Auburn University. One day in the midst of writing a piece of literary criticism, she realized she’d put her true passion on the backburner and neglected her muse. The literary article went in the trash, and she began the book that was to become The Goddess’s Choice, which was published in April 2012. Her other novels include The Soul Stone and The Ghost in Exile. In addition, she has published a novella, Demons in the Big Easy, and a collection of short stories, Blood Cursed and Other Tales of the Fantastic. Her short fiction has also appeared in the anthologies--Urban Fantasy and Of Dragons & Magic: Tales of the Lost Worlds—and in Bards & Sages, The World of Myth, A Writer’s Haven, and Short-story.me. She claims she writes about the fantastic . . . and the tortured soul. Her poor characters have hard lives. She lives in Auburn, Alabama, with her husband and four cats, which (or so she’s been told) officially makes her a cat lady. She still teaches writing and literature at Auburn University. She is the mother of a grown son.

Contact me: jamie-marchant@jamie-marchant.com

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews
Profile Image for Dianne.
6,765 reviews579 followers
September 10, 2015
The king is dead, long live the future queen, Crown Princess Samantha, but does everyone wish her a successful rule? The kingdom has always loved her, but rumors abound and those she has been closest to are gone. Her advisers are suspect and have their own agenda, and Robrek is like her Achilles heel, she loves him dearly, but he comes from peasant stock and he is a sorcerer. Robrek has the people divided and many enemies in positions of power to contend with. At every turn, he is maligned as Samantha struggles to maintain control midst growing discontent and evil machinations. A deadly curse is cast upon the land and all life is weakening and dying; no living entity is spared.

The curse of the Soul Stone has been awakened and Robrek has been chosen to destroy the stone to save his world. Meanwhile, he watches as his beloved Sam crumbles under the weight of ruling, dissent and watching her people die. Has the power of being the Queen become a curse for her? If Robrek does not succeed in his mission how many lives will be lost? His? Sam’s?

The Soul Stone by Jamie Marchant is true epic fantasy, filled with intrigue, romance, love, pain and loss, as well as the life-threatening battle between good and evil. Ms Marchant gives us heroes with flaws, insecurities and guilt for some of their actions. How often do you see doubt or fear in the eyes of a ruler? You will see them in Sam and Robrek. You will also see compassion, caring and the love they share. Enter their world and feel what they feel, see their memories, follow their journey to save the land and win the hearts of the people.

Jamie Marchant has a sorcerer’s pen, it creates a magical tale from simple strokes of black on white. I was hooked from the beginning! Leaving this world was like a curse in itself!

I received this copy from Jamie Marchant in exchange for my honest review.

Series: Kronicles of Korthlundia - 2
Publication Date: July 2, 2015
Publisher: Black Rose Writing
ISBN-13: 2940152013702
Genre: Fantasy | Romance
Print Length: 408 pages
Available from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
For Reviews & More: http://tometender.blogspot.com

Profile Image for Alexandra Engellmann.
Author 6 books238 followers
January 14, 2016
I was offered a free copy of the book in exchange for review by the author. While I haven’t read the first book, the author assured me it wouldn’t be a problem, as the second book can be read as a standalone. I’d like to compliment the author’s way of introducing the reader to the series without slowing down the story with lengthy explanations. It reads naturally and easily, and while it did create some interest to the first novel, I never felt like I had to read it to understand what was going on or the characters’ motivations.
The Soul Stone is an epic fantasy story. In the center of the plot is a big intrigue, and the romance there compliments the story, but doesn’t overtake it. I very much liked the relationship between Samantha and Robrek. Their love for each other was as solid as stone, and no matter what, they had each other’s support. While I do enjoy some troubled romance, it’s also nice to read about a couple like them.
This book has all the elements of good epic fantasy – action, thriller, sword fighting, magic, and even humor. The last one I especially appreciate. It made the characters so much more lovable and fun to read about.
Near the end, the book becomes a totally crazy page-turner, and it had me reading late into the night. It reminded me why I love quest-stories so much.
Recommended to epic fantasy and sword&sorcery fans!
Profile Image for Lilian Flesher.
182 reviews11 followers
June 26, 2015
I received a copy of this book from the Author in return for an honest review.

An evil roams the kingdom, the source of it stems from The Soul Stone, and an evil Bard named Alvabane was responsible for using the Soul Stone's powers to curse the land, where everything was dying. Nothing was sacred, the plants, the insects, animals and the humans all were dying, and only one person in the kingdom stood a chance of destroying the stone and ending Alvabane's attempts to destroy the land and Her Highness Queen Samantha, the person the gods had chosen was the husband of Queen Samantha, can King Robrek succeed, can he survive?

This book is amazing, it is a time warp, of olden times, of magic and mystery, where loyalty and honour were how lands thrived. Kings & Queens ruled. Priests and High Priests ruled the churches, but not all were loyal to the queen and her husband. They believed she had damaged the church by marrying a peasant, even though that peasant was chosen by a God to be the then princess' husband.

Many twists and turns happen, many characters are involved, beautiful creatures are talked about, healers were busy healing ill and dying, and evil doers were busy creating more havoc by their curse. I was swept along on this mystical journey and enjoyed every moment of the trip. I was so engrossed in the story, I even found myself shouting out loud warnings or encouragement!!!

The Author has created a magical story, fabulous characters, beautiful creatures like the Horsetad, amazing descriptive details given so much so you can imagine you are there involved in the story. I loved this story so much, I was transported along with the characters, feeling their pain, revelling in their joy. Truly awesome read!!

Website: http://jamie-marchant.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamie-...

Profile Image for Jess.
16 reviews9 followers
September 30, 2016
Thank you to the author for a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review.
I don't think I've been quite this hooked on a series since I read Harry Potter as a child, I found myself getting lost in the mystical world.
I love the constant good vs evil battle between Robrek and Samantha against the stone. I had tears in my eyes as I read the chapter where Robrek writes to his daughter.
I found myself occasionally struggling to work out who was who and why there were relevant.
Aside from that I feel like I am finding a new favourite author.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Cheree Castellanos Edits.
286 reviews25 followers
June 8, 2017
Just When Samantha accepts her losses and embraces the luck of her love, the goddess gives her another challenge that feels next to impossible. And with some of those closest to her and on her council dead set against accepting Robbie as her consort, she definitely has her hands full, with new surprises and questions at every turn.
Can Robbie save Korthlundia from the evil that is overrunning it and killing entire villages? Can Samantha stop the corruption trying to destroy her throne and her marriage to Robbie?
Another amazing and fast paced adventure that I simply can't get enough of. But by the last page, I simply want, no, NEED more!!!
Profile Image for Dawn.
23 reviews8 followers
October 28, 2019
This was a great follow up to the Goddess's Choice. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading and found it difficult to put down. Again Marchant has a large cast of characters (and some new to this book) which she managed to make enjoyable and easy to follow. I really enjoyed following Samantha and Robbie as they dealt with their new relationship and marriage and the many issues standing in their way. Even still, these two found ways of rising above. The book does end on a bit of a cliffhanger, and I am excitedly awaiting the release of the third book to see what happens next!
Profile Image for Renee Marski.
Author 27 books65 followers
April 22, 2020
Heartfelt and harrowing

Sam is now ruler of korthlundia but things arent going her way. She wants to marry robbie publicly but is finding arguments on all sides. And because the priestesses had been all locked up the ancient evil is free again.

Very enjoyable. Also heartbreaking at some points. Sam has to exert her power as queen and i do feel she takes it too far at times and overreacts. Its frustrating that they dont talk to each other like they should but ultimately work through their issues. The ending is spectacular.
441 reviews2 followers
March 10, 2018
Wow!

The action never stops. A very enjoyable story and I really am enjoying it. I will need to buy the next book.
Read
June 27, 2015
Title: When can I read the next book?
The Soul Stone by Jamie Marchant

Reviewed by S. Davis
May 23, 2015
11:00 A.M.

The Soul Stone is the second book in The Korthlundian Chronicles series by Jamie Merchant. Having never read the first book in the series, The Goddess’s Choice, the reader will be surprised at how easy it is to follow, almost like it is its own story separate from the first book. Due to the numerous flashbacks and explanations Merchant gives, which is typical of a true fantasy author, it is not difficult to follow along and become entangled in the story.

Sir Robrek is preparing to marry Princess Samantha, who is preparing to be crowned queen of newly joined kingdoms. However, not everyone is as accepting of the princess taking a commoner who is also a powerful sorcerer as her betrothed, as he will be king one day. The novel is packed full of action, adventure, and romance that keeps the reader quickly turning the page to get to the next part, especially in the last few chapters.

Marchant has a way of making the reader truly care about the characters and what happens to them, which is not an easy task. Her characters are relatable, personable, and, most of all, believable. Each character is also unique, with no two characters coming to resemble another.

The Soul Stone was extremely well-written. Readers will find themselves hooked almost immediately and remain entranced even after the epilogue. Like all great writings, the story manages to stay with you long after you finish reading. My only question is: When is the next book coming out?

I give The Soul Stone 4 out of 5 stars!

Until next time,

S. Davis
www.mcwpub.blogspot.com
Profile Image for Mike Siedschlag.
386 reviews16 followers
October 20, 2015
Usual disclaimer: Given the e-book of The Soul Stone from author Jamie Marchant in exchange for review.

The Soul Stone is the second book in The Kronicles of Korthlandia series. I have not read the first book. Not a problem if you haven't either. Marchant does an excellent job of catching up the reader without rewriting the first book, which would bog down the story.

The Soul Stone is an awesome book for the epic fantasy reader. For me it has all the elements of an epic quest-type story. I wouldn't necessarily categorize it as a true quest, but it does involve one. As in any good fantasy, Author Marchant has incorporated, action, horror, sword & sorcery, myth, humor, love, compassion and selflessness. No wonder the book is 400 pages!

I new within the first few pages that I was going to love this book, it hooked me that quickly. The final chapters of the story, the true quest, were riveting. It was getting late, but I had to finish, there was just no way to put the book down!

There are many compelling characters so well developed that the reader will feel the emotions being expressed. Some are evil, some heartrendingly selfless, and others that will have you rooting for their cause. It speaks to the talent of an author to deftly weave the stories of so many characters and keep the book interesting, and the reader involved

I thoroughly enjoyed The Soul Stone by Jamie Marchant and highly recommend it. Enjoy!

Mike
Profile Image for Andy Peloquin.
Author 74 books876 followers
November 3, 2015
I read the first book in the series, so I knew what to expect when I cracked open this one: solid writing, a decent (if somewhat predictable) plot, and characters you can get behind.
The main characters are your classic epic fantasy "heroes"--the good king and queen with outside threats trying to ruin their happiness, their kingdoms, etc. I found no surprises in the book, but just a consistently solid, enjoyable plot that kept me reading.
There is the occasional typo, a number of grammar mistakes, and a bit of word repetition now and again, but overall the writing was solid.
The one thing that drove me bananas was the "flaws" chosen for the characters: feelings of inadequacy. While we all wrestle with those feelings, they're not a very attractive flaw for both of the main characters to be dealing with. It made it feel way too much like a YA novel, when it had the potential to be darker and more "grown up". 90% of their problems in the book either cause them to feel inadequate or are the result of their feelings of inadequacy. I found myself groaning as the inevitable "am I good enough for him/her?" came up in literally EVERY chapter.
Still, despite the flaws, I enjoyed the book, and am looking forward to Book 3 to find out what comes next for Samantha and Robrek…
Profile Image for Jennifer Reed.
238 reviews23 followers
June 30, 2015
I was given a copy of this book by the author for an honest review.

THE SOUL STONE is a great book where good triumphs over evil. Robrek is a mixed blood healer with magic, and is set to marry the Crown Princess Samantha and become her consort. There are some that think a mixed blood Cothla should not be marrying the Princess. When an old threat breaks loose again, Robrek must save his wife and unborn daughter at all cost. Someone has unleashed the soul stone from the barrier that held it back for hundreds of years. With the deaths of so many of the Korthian priestesses dead, there are not enough to perform the ritual the ancient evil behind the shield of Armunn's soul. Now it is loose and destroying everything in a fifty mile radius from it. Will Robrek have to give up his life to save everyone that he loves. This book has action, adventure, and love. The characters and story line are well-developed. I give THE SOUL STONE 5/5 STARS. Lovers of the fantasy genre will love this book, so I recommend it to everyone.
Profile Image for S.K. Gregory.
Author 118 books198 followers
August 10, 2015
Samantha is the future Queen and Robrek is to become her husband. Robrek has magic and a lot of people aren't happy with the union. Their happiness is short lived when they learn that a curse is spreading among their people and the Soul Stone is the cause. Can Robrek stop the curse? And at what cost? I enjoyed this tale, it was a mixture of fantasy and action and the two main characters were well written. You can read this as a stand alone novel without being confused. I would recommend this book to fantasy book lovers.
Profile Image for Aly.
1,824 reviews54 followers
July 5, 2015
I liked this book because I believe that good should always triumph evil. Sometimes it works fast though than other times. I have not read any other books from this author. I think this book has some good points for me like a missed blood marrying a prince. You know not all will be happy with this union, right? This book has magic and some good twists and turns. * I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review*
Profile Image for Nina.
326 reviews64 followers
March 1, 2016
Copy Provided by Author for a honest review

Full Review to come

Displaying 1 - 15 of 15 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.