Start by marking “The Red Door Inn (Prince Edward Island Dreams, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Red Door Inn (Prince Edward Island Dreams, #1)

The Red Door Inn

(Prince Edward Island Dreams #1)

Marie Carrington is running from a host of bad memories. Broke and desperate, she's hoping to find safety and sanctuary on Prince Edward Island, where she reluctantly agrees to help decorate a renovated bed-and-breakfast before it opens for prime tourist season.

Seth Sloane didn't move three thousand miles to work on his uncle's B&B so he could babysit a woman with a taste
Published March 1st 2016 by Revell (first published February 23rd 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Red Door Inn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Red Door Inn

Start your review of The Red Door Inn (Prince Edward Island Dreams, #1)
Hannah
An enjoyable and pleasant story set on PEI as the MCs work to open a B&B on the island. I especially liked Marie and Jack (Seth got on my nerves a few times.) I'm also looking forward to the next story, featuring Marie's friend Caden.

Christian message: praying, trusting God. The preacher is referred to as "Father." Just be aware that it's more of a "God" message than a "Jesus saves" kind of message. I never could figure out if the preacher was supposed to be Catholic or Anglican.

Content: kissing
Marlene
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*Update: links to images for the lighthouses and the bridge fixed!!!!*

Prior to this book, I had never read anything by Liz Johnson. Based on great reviews from some GoodReads friends as well as the printed accolades from Max Lucado and Colleen Coble, I figured I was in for a real treat.

The Red Door Inn (2016, Revell), first in the Prince Edward Island Dreams series by Liz Johnson, is a standalone contemporary Christian romance set in North Rustico, PEI in the winter of an unspecified year.
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one. The only reason I have this grumpy look on my face is because now I want to read the next two books in the series, like right now....but I don't own them. I'm going to have to fix this little problem. 😉 ...more
Gretchen Scott
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first book by this author and I was greatly surprised by it.

This was a very cute and quick read. I was quickly drawn in my the main character, Marie, because the author chose to only give us bits and pieces of her story and It was killing me not knowing what had happened and then when you figured it out you were so connected to her story that you just wanted to go to her and give her a hug.

Characters are what makes a story and the characters mixed with the setting description reall
Rachel McMillan
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
You can't fake authenticity of location. As someone very familiar with the Island and its unique culture, Johnson immerses herself in the cadence of Eastern Canada and this tiny, engaging province.

The perfect romantic canvas for a rambling Victorian inn and a chance at second love, Johnson's magic is made manifest by her unadulterated love of her setting.

Come for the winsome characters of Marie and Seth ( and the salt of the earth locals who surround them ) and stay for the Island retreat.

This i
Heidi Robbins (Heidi Reads...)
Loved the setting of Prince Edward Island and the healing Marie found there. Looking forward to reading the next book in the series!
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
A setting already beloved by any little girl or young woman (or a woman approaching ancient age like me) who ever read Anne of Green Gables. A cast of secondary characters to make L.M. Montgomery proud. A romance that sparks with electricity and affection, even during the moments where you want to throttle one or both of them.

And then we have Marie, whom I wanted to hug from the moment I met her on the pages of The Red Door Inn. Just wrap my arms around her and hold on tight. I didn’t know why s
Sarita
This was such a beautiful story about forgiveness, healing and fixing brokenness. The author did a great job of introducing strong broken main characters and also introduced special supporting characters, which in their own unique way, added to the healing process of the main characters.

From the moment Marie was introduced, so guarded and careful, I had an idea what her story could be, and the author did a fantastic job taking the reader through Marie's roller coaster of healing, surviving and e
Dawn
Marie Carrington left Boston to escape bad memories and her father. She has no money and no place to go. When she meets Jack Sloane, he sees in her a hurting soul and offers her a place to stay in exchange for helping him and his nephew renovate a bed & breakfast. Seth Sloane thinks his uncle is crazy for bringing a woman they know nothing about home. Seth's hurting himself and was hoping that the island could bring healing to his heart. Yet as he attempts to get close to Marie, he finds that sh ...more
Staci
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2016
Solid contemporary romance novel by new to me author Liz Johnson.

The main characters are Seth and Marie. They come together at the beautiful Red Door Inn on Prince Edward Island. Marie gets there by God's guiding hand through his angel on earth Jack. The baggage both Seth and Marie carry keep them apart emotionally although they are together in the same home. I especially enjoyed the "knight in shining armor" moment that occurred toward the end of the novel.

Secondary to Seth and Marie, were Jack
Chantel

“He told me red doors are a sign of welcome, an invitation. Years ago during harsh Canadian blizzards, red doors helped stranded travelers find safety and protection from the storm."

The Red Door in is an emotionally compelling journey of finding hope in the midst of brokenness.
Marie is running from some devastating hurts of her past, that has left her broken and filled with anxiety. She longs to escape to Prince Edward Island, home of her favorite childhood book character. But when a kind o
Loraine
Contemporary romance is not one of my favorite genres, but I thoroughly enjoyed this book. All 3 main characters, Jack, Marie and Seth, were dealing with things from their past that were preventing them from moving forward in the present. The author developed realistic, complex characters that we meet in everyday life. The relationships between the three main characters were so good, and I especially loved the role that the Underwood typewriter (yes I learned to type on one of these) played in S ...more
Jerry
Aug 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very sweet and touching. I enjoyed it.
Melissa
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was a cute read. I loved the setting! I mean c'mon, PEI? A treasured setting for many a book lover. Great characters although Seth came off as overly harsh at times to me. I loved the characters of Jack and Aretha Franklin(not the singer :) ). Nice story and intoduction to the other characters we will meet in the subsequent books of the series. A good start to my stay at the Red Door Inn and PEI! ...more
Rachel Brand
Sep 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I tend to go through phases with novels, consuming anything and everything in a genre until I get just a little bit burned out and have to move on to something new. A few years ago I was consumed with Amish fiction, before getting enamoured with historical romances. In the last couple of years I've turned my attentions to contemporary romances. While a lot of the novels I read are from the general market, I'm always on the look out for something new and refreshing from a Christian perspective. I ...more
Madison
Sep 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
It took me two attempts to read this book. I'm not sure what happened the first time as on my second go I was sucked into the story and more than happy to stay there. Great scenery is perhaps an understatement, as The Red Door Inn is set on Price Edward Island (yes, home of L.M. Montgomery and our favourite red-haired orphan). And there is a romance to match the charm of the rolling seas and windy coastline. But what is most alluring about this story is the characters.

Marie is on the run from a
Brittany
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed The Red Door Inn, both the setting and the characters. It started off a little slow for me, however, I felt that it settled into a nice pace by the halfway point in the story. I grew up reading the Anne of Green Gables books, so it was wonderful to have the book set on Prince Edward Island. The author did a great job of describing life on the island, setting a relaxed feel for the book. And as for the characters, I really liked all of them. I have seen a few reviews that mention ...more
Tandie
I liked the story and the town was wonderful. Prince Edwards Island seems like a paradise and makes me think of Anne's outdoor wanderings.

Marie was too fragile and helpless. I understand her traumatic experience and her father made her afraid, but she remains weak. I'm reading the second book, about Caden, the baker extraordinaire, and Marie is still crying about every problem!

Overall, still a decent story. I'm enjoying Caden as a character a lot more than I liked Marie.
Charlene
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

Life can be difficult and sometimes the traumas of life can leave us content with just surviving. The Red door Inn Is a lovely story of hope, healing and restoration after the traumas. It follows the lives of four people who move from surviving to discovering the joy of their individual lives.

I loved all the characters and I love the community that is being developed :).

This is the first book I have read by Liz Johnson so I’m not sure if this is her special trade mark or a one off f
Kara
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Why it took me so long to finally read this book I have no idea. Because I loved it! I already knew I want to visit Prince Edward Island (thanks to Anne of Green Gables naturally :), but after finishing this delightful story my desire to visit has quadrupled! I absolutely loved the setting and Ms. Johnson describes every detail so beautifully (her love of the island shines through very clear) that so many times it felt like I was actually there, feeling the wind on my face. But it's not just the ...more
Alicia
Apr 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Three people with broken hearts find healing in magical Prince Edward Island, as they work together to renovate a bed and breakfast with a tight deadline and budget. Marie is hiding from her father and trying to put her life back together after a terrible incident; Seth is trying to forget his ex-fiancée and her betrayal, and Jack tries to bring to life his late wife's dream.

I was charmed by the characters and setting (regarding the latter, who wouldn't be?), and while renovating a B & B doesn'
Cara Putman
Mar 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Red Door Inn is a story of broken people desperate to find a place. It is a story of finding family in unusual places, and finding out who you are when everything has been taken from you. It is a story of coming to a place of healing when you've been shattered and wonder how you could ever be put back together. There's a thread of romance, and a setting so exquisite I long to go visit: Prince Edward Island.

Marie Carrington is broken and betrayed in a deep way. Her pain is deep and cutting, a
Sheila Holmes
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
I got sick with a viral thingie and had to read it in chunks separated by days at a time. But even with the breaks, this author was at her usual best.

I recommend... highly.
Caitlyn Santi
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was my first read from this new-to-me author. So I didn't really know what to expect, but I was absolutely delighted with the story I discovered! I really liked main character Marie, my heart broke for all she had been through. While I grew to love Seth, I will admit that I wasn't immediately smitten with him, he actually really annoyed me in the beginning, but I did grow to like and even love him as a character. I loved the humor and banter sprinkled throughout this book. I loved that the ...more
Nicki Olsen
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
*My Thoughts*

Um. Wow. If someone asked me to sum up this book in one word...well... Ah-mazing. I really do think I am too much of a creature of habit sometimes. I always expect an author that is new to me, to be "semi-okay". Those poor, poor authors... :D Seriously though, I find an author I love, and I stick with them. I honestly think God was laughing when I decided to review new books. It was like taking everything I usually did, and doing the exact opposite.

Thank goodness I did! This book i
Maureen Timerman
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
As the book opens we meet Jack, such a wonderful kind and Godly man, he has such a big heart and when he meets Marie, he takes pity on her and buys her a ticket on the ferry, and this kindness is about to change her life forever.
Jack’s life is up in the air, but he opens his home to Marie, giving her a small apartment in his home, that has already been promised to another. Jack is working to make his deceased wife’s Ruth dream come alive; he is opening a bed and breakfast. We are about to meet a
Melanie
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! The characters were fantastic. I really grew to care for them all individually and can't wait to see what happens in the next book. The setting was very good...it makes me want to visit PEI someday as the island sounds amazing!

I loved how they were fixing up a B&B. I found it really interesting to read about them trying to pick the right paint colors, furniture, bedding, etc. and Marie was so good at picking the right things!

Overall, a very sweet and easy read! I absolutely lo
Linda Klager
Aug 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The author described the area of Prince Edward Island so well. I would love to visit there! A friend of mine just came back from PEI and took gorgeous photos of the area.

Marie was desperate! She went through a harrowing experience and her Father did not show any love or support to help Marie recover. Marie left Boston and traveled to PEI and this is where she began anew! You will enjoy getting to know the new friends Marie made. Marie finally found love and acceptanc
Dawn
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It started off a little slow, and there were things the eagle-eye editor in me noticed and would have changed/made better... but over all, I liked it and would recommend it. 😍
Toni Shiloh
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now I see why everyone likes this series so much. I adored The Red Door Inn and everything about it. Can't wait to finish out the series. ...more

• Told You So (Told You, #1)
  • Meant to be Mine (Porter Family, #2)
  • Miracle in a Dry Season (Appalachian Blessings, #1)
  • Treasured Grace (Heart of the Frontier, #1)
  • A Love Like Ours (Porter Family, #3)
  • Like Never Before (Walker Family, #2)
  • Sea Rose Lane (Hope Harbor, #2)
  • City of Angels (The Trials of Kit Shannon #1)
  • Beneath a Southern Sky (The Camfield Legacy #1)
  • Undeniably Yours (Porter Family, #1)
  • Her One and Only (Porter Family, #4)
  • Life Just Got Real
  • The Watch on the Fencepost
  • My Stubborn Heart
  • Southern Fried Blues (The Officers' Ex-Wives Club, #2)
  • Where Daffodils Bloom: Based on a True Story of Courage and Commitment During WWII
  • A Broken Kind of Beautiful
  • Forever After (Hanover Falls Series #2)

Prince Edward Island Dreams (3 books)
  • Where Two Hearts Meet (Prince Edward Island Dreams #2)
  • On Love's Gentle Shore (Prince Edward Island Dreams #3)

News & Interviews

“wonderful promise from the book of Matthew, chapter seven, verse eleven. ‘If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!’ God isn’t a vending machine to ask for the things that we want. Rather, he gives us what is best. He works the things of this world for the good of those who love him. He’s the fountain of every blessing, the loving Father who longs to give us sweet gifts.” 1 likes