Start by marking “All Alone” as Want to Read:
All Alone

All Alone

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  202 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Oloo!-Oo-oo-oop!-ooooo! All alone, high on the slope of the Little Giant in the French Alps of Saucie, ten-year-old Marcel yodeled to keep himself company. Like other boys in his village, Marcel would have to look over the family's cows during the summer; and the flexible, age-old rule was, "Don't visit, keep to yourself, mind your own business, attend to your own cows and ...more
Published March 20th 1953 by Viking Children's Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about All Alone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All Alone

Jeanette
Two young boys are herding cattle in the mountains during the summer when disaster strikes. A short, sweet (perhaps a little to sweet) story that won a newbery honor in the 1950s.
The ending was a bit much for me and overall I thought the story was told in extremes, making it a little difficult to find it believable.
Michael Fitzgerald
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Nice quick read. I might have considered five stars without the final chapter. The illustrations by Feodor Rojankovsky are wonderful. I'm a bit wary of the ending with its drinking to the health of the community. It's rather a stretch, and it makes the book feel a bit false - like propaganda, which it does seem to be.

Based on my limited research, it appears that Bishop was not promoting communism, but rather communitarianism. She wrote on this topic in other works, such as All Things Common (195
Phil Jensen
A young French child living near the Alps learns to reject self-sufficiency and embrace Communism.
K.
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: JoAnne B.
Recommended to K. by: JoDean
Contender for read aloud, school year 12/13. JoAnne, I think this one makes the cut! This could be our "French Alps" bit of culture! What if we have a map and place all our books on it in their locations?

What a little treasure!! This is a really simple, small book (under 100 pages) that holds a lot of heart and a great message. Doing what's right and helping another human in need will always bring you blessings in the long run.

Newberry Honor book, 1948.
Thomas Bell
I agree that the ending was a little too much. Could have started the town in the right direction, letting it heal over many years future to the book being written. Either way, it was a fun read with some good morals.
Vonnie
Dec 19, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet book about a boy that lived the golden rule against the wishes of his father. It always feels good to read a book with a moral to the story.
Charles
Mar 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A charming little book, fully illustrated. A simple tale. In a rural village in France, the people are at odds with each other. Two boys who are left alone to herd their family cattle in the mountain valleys must come together to help them both survive. The village learns from their example. I enjoyed it. The set up was rather heavy handed, but I thought the writing was decent.
Allen
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
This small book can be summed up by the phrase “love your neighbor”. It must have been a week year for books. I’m kind of surprised this one was an honor book, as I did not think it was very well written.
Sharon Buxton
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
B. children's fiction, grade 3, French Alps, community, boy protagonist, Mom's stash, keep.
Courtney
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
This was one of those Newbery honors where you seen why it was honored then but maybe not now.
Anna
Jan 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: younger-audience
a cute story of two boys who take care of their papas' cows.
Liz
Dec 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful story about a small town in France, caring for each other and sharing resources.
Rachael Marsceau
Loved the illustrations, and of course I agree with loving and helping our neighbors, but this smacks of communism and me no like.
Marlene
Overcoming tradition to help other people turns out to be the best thing for everyone.
Books Kids Like
Ten year-old Marcel Mabout is sent to pasture the family's three heifers on the Little Giant with a strict admonition. "Don't visit, keep to yourself, mind you own business, attend to your own cows and nothing else." Marcel doesn't understand but knows he cannot question his elders. The first night on the mountain, the silence is broken by the yodeling of Pierre Pascal who is spending the summer on the Big Giant with his four heifers. Marcel decides to yodel back. Each night, the boys talk to ea ...more
Laura Verret
Marcel has been entrusted with a very important job – he is to bring his family’s three heifers up to their pastures on the Little Giant where he will stay for the entire summer watching them. There is only one thing that makes him sad. And this is that his father has forbidden him to speak or interact with the other shepherd boys who will be up in the mountains.

One day, three strange heifers wander into Marcel’s camp. Marcel knows what his father would do – turn the heifers out and not be conce
Josiah
Apr 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story that takes place in the mountains won a Newbery Honor citation in 1954, the same year that the Newbery winner (Joseph Krumgold's "...And Now Miguel") was also a book about the mountains.
I was pleasantly surprised by the story that unfolds in this book. It is very much about the irreplaceable nature of true friendship, and how when one makes such a felicitous bond, it should not be taken lightly, but fought for to the end.
Marcel, unlike his father, knew this, and despite the fact th
Mona
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, newberry
Newberry Award Honor Book, All Alone by Claire Hutchet Bishop. A sweet tale of two 9 year old boys whose fathers send them to the mountains to watch the cows. They are on separate parts of the mountain and are told not to involve themselves with the other. Their village is full of suspicious and everyone for themselves folks. But the boys are young and lonely. They start by yodeling to each other, then circumstances happen when their herds get comingled and an act of nature has them toughing it ...more
Siskiyou-Suzy
I was so bored by this book at first, but it turned out really wonderful. It's short and easy to read and ends up with a kind of . . . socialist bent, I suppose. But it's got such a great message -- people must support each other. It is always better to care for one another.
Rose
Two French boys from feuding families find themselves stuck by a slide in the mountain pastures with their families' cows.
Children’s to young adult.
Angie Bates
Dec 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: newbery
It started out as a nice story........
Hannah
I enjoyed the majority of the story, but the ending spoiled it a little for me.
Raona
May 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i loved it
Katie
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Braden really liked this story, 5th grade.
RileyV
Feb 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Another day is over. I am here. Good Night". pg 31. An old read from decades ago-- A keeper.
Scott Williams
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
  • Tree of Freedom
  • The Forgotten Daughter
  • Like Jake and Me
Claire Huchet Bishop (1899 – 13 March 1993) was a children's novelist and librarian, winner of the Newbery Honor for Pancakes-Paris and All Alone, and the Josette Frank Award for Twenty and Ten. The Five Chinese Brothers won the Lewis Carroll Shelf Award in 1959.

An American born in France or Geneva, Switzerland, Bishop attended the Sorbonne and started the first children's library in France. After