Start by marking “Rise of the Storm (The Desolate Empire, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rise of the Storm (The Desolate Empire, #1)

Rise of the Storm

(The Desolate Empire #1)

When a renegade priest prophesies an imminent apocalypse, a conflict is sparked which will tip a continent into war.

Prince Kendryk is young, handsome and popular, his kingdom prosperous and peaceful. But in the face of the prophesied apocalypse, he must choose between conscience and power. If he chooses the side of faith, he must defy the ruthless Empress Teodora, ruler o
Published June 30th 2015 by Lujin Press

To ask other readers questions about Rise of the Storm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rise of the Storm

Dawn
5 stars.

This is a fantasy novel that has a historical flare, but doesn't take place in any specific time. The entire world is fiction but you can see that the author draws upon an ecclectic mix from real world time periods.

The tale at it's most basic is one of good versus evil. A cruel emperess who is constantly overreaching her authority over other lands. She is like a spoiled child who needs to always get her way. She rules with an iron fist and although many of the lands princes do not like
Kyra Halland
Nov 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sprawling, fascinating, complex fantasy based on the beginnings of the 30 Years War. Young Prince Kendryk, the popular ruler of a peaceful land, must choose whether to follow his conscience and embrace the teachings of a radical priest who warns of a coming apocalypse, even though it means defying a ruthless Empress. As the empire and surrounding nations spiral down to war, Kendryk and a number of other memorable characters must find a way to survive and to fight for what they believe is right.
Damian Southam
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cousin to the enraged duke, Kendryk is among the people of his elderly cousin's fiefdom to hear what it is the priest, whom has so angered his cousin, speaks of. If first impressions are anything to go by, the assumption of piety appears intact. Kendryk has certainly never before encountered a priest who'd forego worship in their revered temples, or for that matter, carry their own box to stand upon. So as to give their speech greater reach from a location outside the temples, where more can hea ...more
Christina
May 21, 2017 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Re-reading the entire series to make sure I don't leave any loose ends in the last book. The typos though, ARGH!
Marie Langella  Sorgie
Sep 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this multiple genre adventure! The characters and plot are genius and I am officially hooked to this author! Thanks for the ride Christina Ochs and am so looking forward to more! I was fortunate to receive a free copy from the author through Voracious Readers Only.
Fayley
Nov 27, 2017 marked it as dnf
The prince faces a dilemma - listen to the prophecy, save his people long term lose his power and that of the other nobles or retain the status quo and to heck with the prophecy.

It was a good idea, but the story changed characters every single chapter. Just as I started to care about a particular situation or person, I'd have to stop reading about them and get started with a different person.

I gave up and quit at around 25%
Kate M. Colby
Sep 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I received a free electronic copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Rise of the Storm by Christina Ochs is an epic fantasy novel that follows the lives of several characters in an empire increasingly devastated by war and rebellion. With a full cast of characters, political intrigue, romance and a dash of violence, it has everything sword-wielding fantasy lovers crave.

In Rise of the Storm , the chapters rotate between the perspectives of four characters: Prince Kendryck,
A.K. Lindsay
Jul 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book has a lot to recommend it. It is fast-paced and always exciting. The plot is detailed and convoluted, and the fantasy world is drawn out in an interesting way.

I wish the chapters had a little bit more meat on them. As fast-paced as they are, prompting me to turn pages quickly, they were done in a flash. A lot of detail was left out that could have brought the setting and the characters to life. I found it difficult to connect with the characters in so short a timespan, and part of tha
Wayne
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Actual rating 4.5

This is quite involved and complex but I really enjoyed it.

There are a lot of threads that have to be brought together but it never seemed too confusing.

I really liked the world building and the different cities and cultures. It was very vivid and I could easy imagine all the places described. I love stories that gave a renaissance feel as well which this one did.

The characters were good in this one although there were a few I didn't really connect with. Kendryk is good but it
Tim Lumsden
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
4 1/2 STARS!!!! Really good read!!! If you like history and historical fiction read this!

I probably would have given 5 STARS, but the story has so many characters and is written alternately in each of those characters viewpoints and many various sites it took some effort to keep them all straight. That being said, I'm writing this review after reading book 2 which is even better, having gained a grasp on all the players. Based on the protestant reformation and the 30 Years War it really conveys
Frank Bertino
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the book but was disappointed that my favorite character from the prequel Forsaken Crown Captain Sonnya Vidmar was not featured at all. New characters such as Janna and Commander Braden were welcome. Princess Gwynneth fell short in the character department but came around in the end after it was too late to save the kingdom and her love Prince Kendryck's freedom. Empress Teodora makes an excellent villain.
Tony Duxbury
Jun 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This a well written sword fantasy told through the experiences of several different people.Each has their strengths and weaknesses.A religious question sparks off a rebellion within an oppressed empire. Politics and brute force soon take over. The characters are engaging and ring true. They also go through their own internal changes as their world falls into war.
Amy Braun
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a WeWriWa/8Sunday author, and Christina Ochs' weekly snippets have always blown my mind. To see them put together instead of teasing me? Awesome. A really good, very well planned book with twists and turns I wasn't expecting, and a few moments that really gripped my heart. Definitely for readers who enjoy political tactics, epic battles, and like villains prone to insane temper tantrums!
Lucia Culpepper
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I wasn't so fond of the constantly shifting change of POV at first, but the chapters came so rapid-fire that I wasn't left in suspense for each character for long, and was sucked right in. I'm a bit perplexed with Janna's role, but she has a highly emotional storyline, so I don't mind.
Whitney McGruder
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
The novel follows four characters throughout the book: Prince Kendryk, Princess Gwynneth (his wife), Braeden, and Janna. Each chapter takes turns using their perspective to tell the story of a bubbling war and religious conflict.

Prince Kendryk tries his hardest to protect a beloved religious leader yet branded heretic, Father Landrus. The young prince spends much of the story trying to choose what is convenient for him and what is best for his people. This naturally ruffles the feathers of Empre
Kaye
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A truly fantastic read. I got so caught up in it I didn't want to put it down. Christina gets right in the middle of the war engaging all around. The characters seem to have a bond going on between them. They are very close as concerns rise. A thrilling plot rhat's easy to read and follow envisioning yourself as part of it. I would recommend reading this to anyone who has visions of a better future.
Teresa
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic story, excellent writing. This book is a page-tuner. Set in the timeframe of the Thirty Years War, this book is made incredible by Christina Och's ability to write scenes that pull the reader in, and to write characters who evoke all kinds of emotions from the readers.

The political maneuvering among the royals was endless. Allies and traitors, friends and enemies. Alliances made and broken. And the role that religion played in the war is so well fleshed out, it is fascinating.

Book one
Jodi Woody
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one is part of a boxed set "Light in the Darkness", several authors with their fantasy stories, and it is one of the better ones. The first in a series that I will continue with. There is violence and sexual content though most content is implied. I give it four stars. I enjoyed it.
Jess Thomason
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the second book of Chistina Ochs that I have had the please of reading. It starts out a little slow but she builds it up real quick. She definitly knows how to keep a readers attention. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves a good sit down and read on a rainy day!
Emmy
Dec 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Wtf is up with each chapter identifying which character (especially when it's third person written, not first person)? Authors have written better novels for centuries without having to baby spoon feed its readers.
And Cliffhanger? *eyeroll*
Novice
Brebda
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked it so much,I read all the others!
Although I've not started The Foreskin Crown,summer yard work & rent surgery have kept me busy & a new medication made my eyes to blurry to read, let alone drive.
My body has finally adjusted to new medication & am seeing better the last 4 days!
Jackie
Mar 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fast paced story that takes place in a historical time. The Prince has to choose between good and evil. Well written, that makes you want to read more. Received an ARC and a pleasure to review
Rachel
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
This is a great story, and incredibly engaging right from the start. The whole book is told from the viewpoint of four main characters, and it is very easy to keep each storyline clear. I loved all of the main characters, and felt they were all super relatable, each on their own level. The threads of each storyline were woven together very nicely and made for a complex and adventurous story.
*I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author via Voracious Readers Only*
KelticKat
Jul 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
A solid start to a sweeping fantasy saga.

I enjoyed the world building, the fast paced action and the characters both good and bad that made up this story.

As with many stories of this nature it took a bit to immerse myself in this saga - but once I did I couldn’t seem to put the story down until I’d turned the last page.
Maggie Hill
rated it did not like it
Apr 03, 2016
Nov 09, 2016
licheng luo
Sep 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Ishtar's Blade (Ishtar's Legacy, #1)
  • Six Celestial Swords
  • Apocalyptic Fears VI
  • Pagan Apocalypse (Wrath of the Old Gods #1)
  • FERTS (FERTS #1)
  • A Demon in the Desert (Grimluk, Demon Hunter, #1)
  • The Cost of Haven (Great Cities, #1)
  • A Story of River
  • Where The Dead Men Lie (Secret Apocalypse, #3)
  • Song of Blood and Fire (The Celesital War Chronicles #1)
  • The Sword Chronicles: Child of the Empire
  • Lost In The Mist Of Time
  • The Rose Crown
  • Degrees of Delusion
  • The Trojan Project
  • Steel and Sorrow (Blood and Tears, #2)
  • Beachhead: Invasion Earth
  • The Ways (Diary of the Displaced, #3)
Get a free ebook of the prequel when you join my reader's group!
Click the link below to get started:

The Desolate Empire (6 books)
  • Valley of the Shadow (The Desolate Empire #2)
  • Hammer of the Gods (The Desolate Empire, #3)
  • Winter of the Wolf (The Desolate Empire #4)
  • Fall of the Titan (The Desolate Empire #5)
  • Blood of the Empire (The Desolate Empire #6)