Start by marking “Dead Girl Running (New Order, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead Girl Running (New Order, #1)

Dead Girl Running (The New Order #1)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  56 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Eight years ago, SILVIA WOOD's father died in an industrial accident. After suffering through years of Psychotherapy Services and Mandated Medications for depression and multiple suicide attempts, she longs to work in Botanical Sciences. When the Occupation Exam determines she must work in Mortuary Sciences instead, she wonders if the New Order assigned her to the morgue t ...more
Published October 26th 2015 by Curiosity Quills

To ask other readers questions about Dead Girl Running, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Girl Running

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Ann Noser wowed me with her debut novel and her very original take on the paranormal world. So when I heard that her new book was going to be a blend of some of my favorite genres, I knew I had to try it.

And I wasn't wrong in thinking that this would be another original take on something done before.

It was imaginative, fun, fast paced and full of surprises. It once again showed that Noser does know how to write and because of it, she can make her characters jump off the pages and come to life,
Rebecca McNutt
This is now one of my favorite books, and despite all that I read, I keep that list very limited so I definitely consider this one impressive! :) Dead Girl Running combines numerous genres, themes and plot devices, telling the story of a damaged girl in a modern yet flawed corporate industrial town and longing for something to appease her grief for her father's death. When she finds herself assigned to work in a mortuary it's nothing that she expects.
Sophia
I first encountered this one through an engaging review posted by Kimberly @ Caffeinated Reader blog and put it on my list, but then I got the opportunity to snag it up. I've come to enjoy YA Dystopians with government conspiracies, independent characters hunting for the truth, slow build thriller excitement and a dash of character and romance development for good measure. This book had all that in spades. I think I only set the book down once and now I am anxious to findout what happens next.

Th
Pia
Nov 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I love young adult books, and if the genre is dystopian, so much the better...

This book started very well, even if doesn't give you much info on what happened before the New Order was in charge.
But then it grew more and more confusing. There seems to be a rebellion, but there's not much background, and there's a race from where the winners are selected to become great citizens (and then disappear), and some event that happened 8 years before and changed the life of Silvia, the main character.

In
☕ Kimberly
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Five reasons to pick up Dead Girl Running

Noser introduces us to the New Order, a world built out of the rubble of WWIII. Here citizens live within walled cites and are kept safe from the wilds. Each citizen receives free health care, food, and housing. Placement tests assign each citizen with a career/job assignments. They live in a stress free society where crime, war, and hunger have become a thing of the past. Of course with these provisions come a handful of restrictions, and concessions.
Katie
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok
I received an e-arc of this book from netgalley in return for an honest review. A rather disappointing book. A very generic dystopian that seems to borrow from Divergent and The Hunger Games but not do it as well. The world was built well but we never seem to get any explanation as to what the government's motivation is and why they've created this dystopian state. The main character was really irritating the whole way through and her character development was too sudden and unconvincing. In fac ...more
Hollie
Well, hell............... it looks like in the minority on this book - it had such great reviews but I simply was not impressed. Here's my breakdown:

The pros:
* Offered as a kindleunlimited
* the world created does have lots of potential but little to no explanation of this world and government

The cons:
* Nothing memorable about the characters or storyline - it felt similar to numerous other books I've read
* It was lacking details - tons of huge missing pieces - major issues seemed to be skimmed ov
N.N. Light
Imagine a world where there’s no war, homelessness or citizen unrest. Welcome to the New Order, a society in the not-too-distant future, where citizens are slotted in appropriate occupations, eat rations and get birth control implants (to prevent unwanted pregnancy). The overseers of the New Order are referred to as Suits (reminds me of The Matrix) and there’s always someone watching (surveillance for society’s protection, of course).

Meet Silvia Wood, an eighteen-year old young woman still griev
Fossil Green
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc-s
I was given a copy of this book by the author in exchange for my honest review. So here goes...
So firstly, IT WAS FREAKING AWESOME!! I loved it so insanely much, and I will be spending now until the release date (October 26th) sitting in front of my laptop stalking anyone that’s read it for their opinions. I'm not even kidding when I say I'm hooked. As soon as I finished it I jumped straight on Book Depository to get anything else Ann Noser has ever written. (When Australia Post finally gets my
C.G. Worrell
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

FYI: Spoiler Alert!
Silvia Wood’s father died in an industrial accident that shattered life as she knew it. Still reeling from his death, she and her mother, the famous violinist, Yoshe Woods, are forced by the New Order from their privileged apartment to the “coach” section of housing where they must live amongst the masses of Panopticus, a highly-restrictive dystopian society reminiscent of Orwell’s 1984. As if that isn’t enough, the government’s mandatory professional exam pigeon-holes Silvia
Marjolein
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

It had been a while (perhaps a couple of months) since I last read a typical YA Dystopian novel like this one. And since it's one of my favourite genres, I was really looking forward to it.

Overall, it was an enjoyable read that I would recommend to fans of the genre. If you enjoyed The Hunger Games, Divergent, The Maze Runner and the likes and if you don't feel overfed by this particular subtype of book, I really think you'll l
Mike Kalmbach
It's rare that I find a book that has selected such a perfectly appropriate title. Every word in the title has much deeper meaning after reading the book.

There are many unexpected twists in this dystopian thriller. I loved how Ms. Noser combined a love of running, yoga, and dystopian novels into an exciting ride. I found myself deeply engaged with the characters, reading deep into the night. Better yet, the ending leaves me hungry for book two.

I enjoyed Ms. Noser's previous book, How to Date De
Danielle Allen
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The brilliant title of this novel, DEAD GIRL RUNNING, is definitely appropriate, as I raced through this book. If I had to compare it to some other dystopian thrillers I'd say its as intense as The Maze Runner and with a heroine as complex as Katniss in The Hunger Games. I loved Silvia, the champion of the story. Not only is she relatable to teens who struggle with fitting in, but I really admired how strong and determined she is. I read an early draft of this novel and I cannot wait to see what ...more
Kayl
Oct 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I received this book for free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.

Cover: The cover is very interesting, except there’s a lot going on. I like everything except for the font that the title and byline is in. It doesn’t really fit the book at all.

Characters: Alright, alright, alright, I kind of like this bunch of characters. They are all pretty cool even though some of them *cough* Liam *cough* are dumb. They
Barbara Desmond
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book takes place after WWIII. Things seem to be pretty good but are they really? The creepy thing about this story is that I could see this happening so if you're prone to paranoia you've been warned. It stars eight years after Silvia's father dies.

This world seems to be a lot better but if you dig a little deeper you just know that something's off especially with the way Silvia is treated for her depression and suicide attempts. Things get even stranger when she decides to run in a race.

I
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Oct 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
(I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a review).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I thought the concept of this book was a really interesting one. Although the world did seem to come across as perfect to begin with, as the book progressed, it became quite clear that the world wasn’t anything like as good as it was implied to be.

I liked Silvia’s character. It was interesting to see her relationship with her mother and I felt a lot of sympathy for her during the course of the book,
Lisa Fallon
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dystopia, r2r
action packed, addictive, keep you on your toes literally I want more!!

I absolutely loved Silva from the beginning, her attitude is kick ass, she won't back down without a fight and she's a very clever young woman.
can't help but feel sorry for her but at the same time admire her.

I wasn't keen on Silva mum, I understand that it was hard for her losing her husband but I found her mum very naive and selfish, believe me I get the whole wanting the best for your kids but I just felt like she never li
Katie Hamstead
I read and LOVE Noser's first novel; How to Date Dead Guys, so I just had to get my hands on this when it became available.
Dead Girl Running follows Silvia, who lives in a dystopian city in the not so distant future, post WWIII. After an explosion took her father from her and her mother, both have battled depression, but are ready to move on with their lives. When a peer at the gym, Liam, talks her into the Race for Citizen Glory, she uses it as an opportunity to please her mother.
I have to say,
Kimberly
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Ryan Coate
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(I received an Advanced Reader's Copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.) There are a lot of dystopian novels on store shelves, but the combination of having the main character work in a morgue and be a runner makes this book stand out. The author does a very good job of setting up a world where you know something is wrong beneath the surface, but you just can't figure it out until the last couple of chapters. This is a riveting start to a series that I am officially hooked on.
Leah
Aug 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This novel was entertaining from the first page. I found myself thoroughly engaged by the unique approach to a genre that can be grossly overdone and cliche. This is definitely worth a read.
Jen
Mike Billington
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I very much enjoyed Ann M. Noser's "How to Date Dead Guys" so when I saw that she had written a dystopian novel I snapped it up.
Glad I did because "Dead Girl Running" is a really great read with intriguing characters, a world that - though set in the future - mimics our own in many ways, and a well-honed narrative.
In her novel, Noser introduces us to Silvia Wood, a young woman in a post-nuclear-war mega-city where individual freedoms have been sacrificed in the name of security. Ordinary people
Melissa Levine
Aug 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Amie's Book Reviews
First off I need to mention that the target audience for this book is the Young Adult readership. With that being said, I will be rating this book with that age group in mind (age 13-17).

Silvia is the main character of this book and she is definitely not your average eighteen year old. Silvia loves her job in the hospital morgue and tries not care what other people think of her and he chosen profession.

At first I thought that Silvia was going to be one of those perfect book heroines that just
Jessica
Dec 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Always a fan of dystopian young adult novels, I requested this book. For the most part I was not disappointed.

My only complaint is that there wasn't enough advancement in the plot in the middle. At times I felt like the author needed filler and foisted 100+ pages discussing Sylvia and Liam's training plan. However, Sylvia's interactions with Franco were a nice way to break up the monotony. She was very much your typical girl
Julie
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I received this novel from NetGalley.

This novel is a rush! I couldn't put it down! The politics, the charaters, the heroism and the originality of the plot all make this novel amazing!

This novel is a breath of fresh air in a genre that is so often made cliche, it is inventive, clever and thoroughly enjoyable!

Great read! Can't wait to read more about this amazing world!
Holly
Dec 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this somewhere between 3.5 and 4 stars. Another good book from Curiosity Quills! I have TONS of questions upon finishing, which makes me anxious for book 2. I hope it's not too much longer before we get to find out what happens next for Silvia! And Franco... who is swoon-worthy even if he is a bit wacko... ;)
Kasian Publishing
Dec 15, 2015
  • Price of a Bounty
  • Grit and Grace
  • The Smart Kid
  • Revenge of the Dust Bunnies (Spooky Snacks, #1)
  • Donna of the Dead
  • Concealed in the Shadows (Concealed in the Shadows, #1)
  • A Necessary Act
  • Biggie
  • The Silver Moon Elm (Jennifer Scales, #3)
  • Sacrifice
  • The Thousand Coffins Affair (The Man from U.N.C.L.E., #1)
  • The Exodus Towers (Dire Earth Cycle, #2)
  • The Secret Underground
  • Eve
  • PETER AND THE VAMPIRES (Volume One) (PETER AND THE MONSTERS Book 1)
  • Sweetest Taboo
  • Everybody's Got a Story (Toronto, #12)
  • Nice Girls Endure
Growing up an only child, I learned to entertain myself. During summer vacations, my greatest form of exercise consisted of turning the pages of a book. Now I’m all grown up, and full of stories half-written in my head. I have to write them down so I can find out what happens next.

HOW TO DATE DEAD GUYS is my first novel.

When I'm not living in my own created fantasy world, I'm a small animal veteri

Young Adult Deals

• Son of the Dawn (Ghosts of the Shadow Market #1)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • The Jewel (The Lone City, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Mechanica (Mechanica, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Night Divided
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Three Dark Crowns (Three Dark Crowns, #1)
  • The Lotterys Plus One
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The End of Feeling
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Gone (Gone, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Moon Chosen (Tales of a New World #1)
    $8.51 $2.99
  • Deviants (Dust Chronicles #1)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Just Friends
    $7.80 $2.99
  • For Love and Honor (An Uncertain Choice, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chemistry Lessons
  • The Menagerie
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Infinite (Gates of Thread and Stone #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Black Bird of the Gallows
    $7.99 $0.99
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Lumière (The Illumination Paradox, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Royal Ranger (Ranger's Apprentice, #12)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • I Hate Everyone But You
  • Love and Other Unknown Variables
    $7.99 $0.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • The Cruelty
    $7.80 $2.99
  • A Messy, Beautiful Life
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Renegades (Renegades, #1)