Start by marking “Death Descends on Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective #3)” as Want to Read:
Death Descends on Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective #3)

Death Descends on Saturn Villa (The Gower Street Detective #3)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  1,098 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Gower Street, London: 1883.

Grice agrees to investi
Published March 7th 2016 by Pegasus Books (first published June 4th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Death Descends on Saturn Villa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Descends on Saturn Villa

Jess
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
All right, M.R.C. Kasasian, you really can't stop writing this series. I implore you on this matter. Each book in this series just gets better and better, and when you think it can't get better, it does. This addition to the series had me guessing what was going on for the entire length of the novel. That alone gives it 5 glorious starts in my rating scale. It is a rarity for me to repeatedly be thinking as I read "Where is he going with this?" or "What is going on? Why did that.. But how did th ...more
Mary Cokenour
Jan 02, 2016 rated it liked it
I found this third novel of the series to be quite difficult to keep up with; too much drifting between the past and present; ramblings due to drugs and/or poison.

March Middleton was totally disappointing; too naïve, too kind which allowed her to be manipulated, used and abused. Where she was becoming a stronger, independent woman in the first two novels; now she was the typical simpering female. That is until the very ending where she finally got some gumption and thwarted her would be killer.
Melissa
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Personal detective Sidney Grice and his side kick/female ward Marge Middleton are back in book three of the series. As with the other two books, this one can be read as a standalone. In keeping with the author’s first two novels in this series the murder scenes are graphic. I was unhappy to see a spoiler by the author right at the beginning of the novel. I can't say more about it but the author had a purpose in this tactic. This book started from the point of view of Marge Middleton and then swi ...more
charlotte
"You are hiding something from me," I say and Sidney Grice shakes his head. "No," he tells me quietly. "I am hiding a great many things."

I have a bit of a love-hate relationship with this series. On the one hand, it's mysteries set in Victorian times, and I love March and Pound. On the other hand, there's Sidney bloody Grice, who is singularly the most unlikeable "good guy" character I have had the misfortune to read about.

That being said, this was definitely the best yet of the series. Althou
Swirlgirl
This time, no amount of time has passed from the previous book. I was ambivalent as to the mystery here though; I felt as if March was more held back and too eager to please than she had been before, which in turn lead her too willingly down the path of the story, with mysterious deaths and non-deaths littered along the way. Half way through, the mystery had become too dense, and March so very timid, that I was growing tired of the read... but with the extremely satisfactory and surprisingly emo ...more
P.D.R. Lindsay
Oh dear. I think this is what is called magical realism. Not sure about these new terms yet but whatever it is the novel simply struck me as an irritatingly silly story and way over the top as far as stretching the humour and odd behaviour went.

The main character is a Sherlock Holmes take off, there are lots of Holmes time jokey bits. His Watson sidekick is female and the two are always arguing. Preposterous is how I would describe the plot line.

But reviews are personal. The book is well written
John
Apr 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindy Nettleton was a much better fit to narrate the series, but it seems she's no longer available. Ms. Nichols was pretty good doing the voices of the other characters (especially Uncle Tolly), but I didn't connect with her as March.

I didn't mind having the middle section given from Grice's point of view at all, except that he's so very obnoxious I wanted March around to counteract that. Molly was a bit over-the-top in being so dense, though it was fun to see Grice having to put up her. As fo
Jodi Kurtz
Nov 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the premise of the mystery in this 3rd Gower Street Detective book to require a greater suspension of disbelief than the prior two books - perhaps just a tad too much as I struggled at times to remain engaged with the mystery. Similarly, there is less of the witty banter between Mr. Grice & Miss Middleton in this book and I missed that. Swapping narrator perspectives partway through was an interesting idea, but it was a bit challenging to get into Mr. Grice's head - his perspective i ...more
Jasper
Originally posted at: http://thebookplank.blogspot.com/2015...

If you haven't heard about the enigmatic, quirky and rather peculiar detective duo Grice and Middleton you must have been living under a rock. Just about two years ago Head of Zeus published the first book in the Victorian detective series, The Mangle Street Murders, by Martin Kasasian. It was a blast for me. Which Martin Kasasian proved once again with it's sequel The Curse of the House of Foskett. He did leave the sequel with a majo
Joyce
Quite funny, and a plot that kept me laughing. Summary: Gower Street, London: 1883. March Middleton is the niece of London's greatest (and most curmudgeonly) private detective, Sidney Grice. March has just discovered a wealthy long-lost relative she never knew she had. When this newest family member meets with a horrible death, March is in the frame for murder—and only Sidney Grice can prove her innocence.
Heidi Burkhart
Jan 11, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked this mystery, but didn't love it. In a way, the tone, reminded me of the Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley. It moved a bit slowly but there were some elements that kept my interest.
Matthew
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series, it's fast paced and the characters are fun! Great little mysteries served with a bit of humour!
La Fenice Magazine
TRE e 1/2
Recensione sul sito LA FENICE BOOK

Il Mistero di Villa Saturn mi ha delusa! Se il secondo mi aveva entusiasmato questo mi ha confusa. Nulla da dire sul caso complesso e articolato che ha messo in scena l'autore, tanto di cappello ma ho avuto difficoltà a seguire il filo del discorso (forse sarò scema io!). In questo libro è tutto più confusionario, impostato malamente e strascicato. Il libro è suddiviso in varie parti, per la maggiore raccontate da March Middleton che sembra confusa a ca
Tim Hicks
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Well, that was a change of pace. Three novels, each turning the dial up on the previous. It feels as if Kasasian is gaining confidence (I suppose a bulging bank account from the first two books can do that).

Not recommended as a standalone - you really ought to do 1 and 2 first.

We already knew that Grice is Sherlock Holmes only ruder (and Holmes is a very rude man indeed). But the hints in book 2 that he may have a heart are developed well here.

Inspector Pound is useful, although I didn't like
Erica Wright
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Trick knives, poisons, and London's most curmudgeonly personal detective (who seems to be growing a heart)--Death Descends on Saturn Villa might be my favorite book yet of this wonderful series. March’s quick wit and determined independence land her in trouble, but Grice has his second best magnifying glass and a traveling tea flask, so perhaps she’ll be okay?

Jan 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting twists and turns. Having more than one narrator kept the story moving, however I preferred the two previous books' structure. Eager to read the next to find out more about the fate of the characters.
D Murgatroyd
Oct 26, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
hyperbole is what comes to mind when attempting to describe the characters and plot of this book. Not worth the time I gave in exchange for skim reading it.
Kaj Boelsen
One of those books you lock yourself in with so you won't have to punch people on the nose for disturbing you.
Hollie Ryan
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I love these books so much I had to tweet the author to tell him to hurry up and write the next one.
Michael Gallagher
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2018
This was an unexpected find, not least because it’s set in my own genre and era. It’s 1883 and when London’s foremost personal detective Sidney Grice is called away to Yorkshire on a case, his goddaughter and ward Miss March Middleton decides to become London’s first foremost personal lady detective with disastrous results to herself.
Like many a Wilkie Collins, the first-person narrative is shared between characters, and, just like Wilkie Collins, Kasasian doesn’t mind injecting a lot of humour.
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, mystery
So, reading the first section made me doubt I wanted to read the rest, but then I got into the groove of the thing and everything worked out. Based on the reviews of this and the next two, I realized this series was going to take a dark turn, and I'm all for that. This one doesn't disappoint in that regard.

I was a little confused by March's hallucinations, but they work to disorient the reader as much as they disorient her. And Sydney's POV, which we haven't had before, is brief enough not to dr
Carla Hollings
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
I found this read frustrating which kept me turning the pages until the end. I needed to know what on earth was going on! I was disappointed when Sidney Grice admitted for the first time ever that he could not complete a case despite his usual brilliance, but I suppose the development of his character suggests he is in fact human and dealing with grief. He allows his guard to fall as he becomes more emotional towards his ward. I agree with some other readers' reviews and hope that March starts t ...more
Margaret1358 Joyce
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Overtly of the detective genre, this novel, set in London, c. 1883, is in fact a mesmerizing showcase of a whole range of Victorian manners and mores. The detective duo, the fastidious to a fault Sidney Grice and his wildly unconventional niece, March Middleton, the two billed as the antithesis of Holmes and Watson, are an interesting pair who set out to solve the weirdest of murders. With the main interest being the fascinating slurs and slip-ups of language as spoken in particular by unschoole ...more
Yvette Adams
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this for the cover and title, and then on the back cover "London 1883". Yes! Favourite setting. This turned out to be book 3 of a series but luckily it was a stand alone book. It's Sherlock Holmes-esque with a somehow MORE egocentric and arrogant PI, and his young Female ward/assistant. Me = mucho confused for most of this.... "What is going on?". At one point i reread the same page 3 or 4 times cos i was so sure I'd missed something vital. So confused! But i had to keep going cos I was ...more
Lizzytish
I cannot get enough of this series! Poor March ends up in prison due to the fact she seems to be murdering people. There are secrets and back stories, murder and mayhem. Oh, and there is Molly. How will Marsh be found innocent after being committed to an insane asylum? Grice becomes ill, as does Pound. Will the true murderer even be found, or has Grice actually failed for the first time? Told through the voice of March, and her diaries, and also Grice picks up the story later on which makes for ...more
Jamie
Jan 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easily my favorite of the three I’ve read so far. Some of that, I’m sure is comfort with the characters, but I also enjoyed the storyline in this one. The only thing is that it was 486 pages. Totally unnecessary and ridiculously long. I wish these editors would edit a little more. No need for a murder mystery to be just shy of 500 pages.
Emily-Jo
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Unlike some, I actually love Sidney - so getting a glimpse inside his mind in this instalment was lovely. The story... eh. Overall it was enjoyable but I do prefer March badass, drunk and slightly gay as opposed to helpless, gullible and pining for past mistakes, and in this book she veered wildly toward the latter. Did enjoy Colwyn, and Molly seriously came into her own here.
Giulia
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
I haven't read the first 2 books of the series but it was relatively easy to fill in the missing gaps.
A bit boring at the start and I found the constant insults and making fun of the maid Molly (and women in general) a bit too much.
After a while it got more interesting but I find some parts of the story weren't fully explained.
Kristi
Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think. It was a strange book. I listened to it on my runs so maybe I wasn't concentrating as much as I could have? I felt like it was a bit disjointed and the resolution came all at once. It was ok, but I didn't love it.
Laura Tassoni
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was my introduction to this series and I really enjoyed it, very unusual format and characters. I have since read the 1st in the series and am glad I came to this first as it shows that Sydney Grice has a heart and cares for his ward.
  • Chambers of Death (Medieval Mystery, #6)
  • A Place of Confinement (A Dido Kent Mystery #4)
  • The Glass House (Captain Lacey, #3)
  • Enemies at Home (Flavia Albia Mystery, #2)
  • Saint Milburga's Bones (Stephen Attebrook Mysteries #5)
  • A Swarming of Bees
  • Cup of Blood (Crispin Guest #7)
  • The Uninvited Guest (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • Bandits of Rome (Carbo of Rome Book 2)
  • Roman Games: A Plinius Secundus Mystery
  • Vices of My Blood (Detective Murdoch, #6)
Martin Kasasian was raised in Lancashire. He has had careers as varied as factory hand, wine waiter, veterinary assistant, fairground worker and dentist. He lives with his wife in Suffolk in the summer and in a village in Malta in the winter.
More about M.R.C. Kasasian

The Gower Street Detective (5 books)
  • The Mangle Street Murders (The Gower Street Detective, #1)
  • The Curse of the House of Foskett (The Gower Street Detective, #2)
  • The Secrets of Gaslight Lane (The Gower Street Detective, #4)
  • Dark Dawn over Steep House (The Gower Street Detective, #5)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Killman Creek (Stillhouse Lake, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Shaken (Jack Daniels Mystery, #7)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
  • Split Second
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Killing Lessons (Valerie Hart, #1)
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Blood Money (Joe Dillard #6)
  • Bluebird, Bluebird
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The Falcon at the Portal (Amelia Peabody, #11)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • In Good Faith (Joe Dillard #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Forbidden Stone (The Copernicus Legacy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Monogram Murders
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Hanging Judge (The Judge Norcross Novels)
  • The Visitant: A Venetian Ghost Story
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Die Like an Eagle (Meg Langslow #20)
  • Damaged
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Virgin in the Ice (The Chronicles of Brother Cadfael)
  • Little Monsters
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Reason to Live (A Marty Singer Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Infinity Born
    $6.99 $2.49
  • True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1)
  • The Long and Faraway Gone
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Deadly Recall (Jessie Cole, #2)
  • The Curse of the Pharaohs
  • When You Disappeared
  • Queenpin
  • I'm Thinking of Ending Things
  • Song of Kali
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Counterfeit Heiress (Lady Emily, #9)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Ugly Young Thing (Strangers #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Burglars Can't Be Choosers (Rhodenbarr, #1)
  • Trespassing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • In Cold Blood (A Beatrix Rose Thriller Book 1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Lord Peter Views the Body (Lord Peter Wimsey, #4)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Stranger Inside (Strangers #4)
  • The Remains
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Doubt (Caroline Auden, #1)
  • The Marriage Pact
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Signature Wounds (A Grale Thriller Book 1)
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Naturalist (The Naturalist #1)
  • The Girl from the Sea
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms Mystery, #2)
    $2.99 $1.99
  • The Five Red Herrings (Lord Peter Wimsey, #7)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Lady Cop Makes Trouble  (Kopp Sisters #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Stillhouse Lake (Stillhouse Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Death in the Devil's Acre (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #7)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • And Only to Deceive (Lady Emily, #1)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Ones
  • Moving Day
  • Jade Dragon Mountain
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Hangman's Daughter (The Hangman's Daughter, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The 19th Wife
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Dead Over Heels (Aurora Teagarden, #5)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Whole Enchilada (A Goldy Schulz Culinary Mystery #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Poisonous (Max Revere, #3)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • An Expert in Murder (Josephine Tey, #1)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Mission Flats
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Pigeon English
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Persons Unknown (DS Manon, #2)
  • The Given Day
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Cold Vengeance (Pendergast, #11)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Outrage (Faith McMann Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lion (John Corey, #5)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Injustice For All (Joe Dillard #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrath (Faith McMann Trilogy, #3)
  • The Stockholm Octavo
  • Fractured
  • The Winter Over
  • American by Day
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shifting Tide (William Monk, #14)
  • The Necklace
  • Good Behavior
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Big Fear (Hollow City Series, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Birdman
  • Clockers
  • Never Smile at Strangers
  • The Moonlit Garden
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Holy Island (DCI Ryan Mysteries, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Good Liar
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Cold (A Joe Tiplady Thriller #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Criminal Defense (Philadelphia Legal #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Poppy Done to Death (Aurora Teagarden, #8)
  • Twisted
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Open and Shut (Andy Carpenter Series, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • No Shred of Evidence (Inspector Ian Rutledge, #18)
    $10.99 $1.99
“Where are your clothes? And do not pretend you do not know. I can accept that you may not know if you killed a man, but every girl always knows where her clothes are.” 1 likes
“We do not serve spirits to the ladies.'
'As you have probably guessed, I am not a lady”
1 likes