Start by marking “Fluence” as Want to Read:
Fluence

Fluence

Imagine a world where your influence on social media determines your job, your home and your friends. A world without politicians, where the corporations run the country.

Set in a dystopian London, Fluence is a story of aspiration and desperation and of power seen and unseen. Amber is young and ambitious. Martin is burnt out by years of struggling. She cheats to get what sh
Published June 26th 2015 by SilverWood Books

To ask other readers questions about Fluence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fluence

Start your review of Fluence
Dianne
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Social media. We are becoming a society that must check their “pages” on a regular basis. Who posted what? Did they see our posts? Did they react? Should we react to others’ posts? Had a good hair day? Post it and wait for the reactions. Have a bad break-up? Post your dirty laundry and wait for the reactions. BUT, be careful, because even employers are looking at your posts…

Welcome to a future that really doesn’t seem too farfetched. FLUENCE by Stephen Oram tells the stories of two people, each
Yzabel Ginsberg
[I received a copy of this book through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.]

This was quite a gripping, intriguing and also worrying dystopian story. Set in a not so future London, where the government has failed and corporations have taken over, it deals with a lot of themes that seem potentially “silly” at first, yet quickly make you wonder more and more about whether this is possible or not... whether we might be close to that already, or not.

Society in “Fluence” is divided into strat
Kate
3-4 Fluctuating Stars.

For me personally this is a difficult book to rate. It isn’t cut and dry and there is no black and white when it comes to the plot of this story. I can also imagine that this type of dystopian novel doesn’t work for everyone. But it did work for me.

I’m not going to go into too much detail and leave some things cryptic as this is a book you need to go into with an open mind. Believe me it is worth it.

In a world where power, ambition matter and what kind of colored status you
Amanda
Jul 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you NetGalley for letting me read and review this novel. I loved it and can’t wait to read more by this author
Wendy
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating 4.5 / 5)

I liked this – A LOT. It offers an edgy, well-plotted and unnerving snapshot of a fictional society.

Given today’s craving for the next profile ‘like’ and daily updates we all seem to be compelled to comply with, this plot doesn’t seem too implausible. Imagine a world where you can lose or gain points at the drop of a hat if an online status update is not deemed popular enough. A real time popularity contest that can affect your quality of life is a frightening concept.

Whate
Joanna Lambert
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a very thought provoking read. Here we have an imagined world (not so far away from the one we currently live in) where individuals compete on social media for Fluence points. At the end of the year scores are then added up and colour graded according to the number of points achieved. The colour an individual is awarded is fixed for a year and dictates their social status and class. It controls every aspect of their lives, including where they live and who they socialise with

Amber and M
Lene Blackthorn
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book might be difficult to read, but also forces to think about our world, it´s morals, values, and major drivers in the society and its behavior.
Amber is ambitious young woman, desperate to climb the social ladder several levels up, to improve her strata and live comfortably. Martin, one of her coworkers, would be happy to remain on his level, but struggles to keep it that way. We follow their lives over one week, the most important week leading to Pay Day. Through their intertwined lives
C.R.
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has been on my ‘to read’ list ever since I finished Stephen Oram’s first book Quantum Confessions, which has stuck with me ever since like a vivid dream. I'm glad I got round to it because this is another illuminating and imaginative glimpse into a potential future for humanity.

This time we are introduced to a world in which social media influence is treated as currency (called fluence) and directly decides which class (strata) you belong to and therefore which privileges you have access to
Claire
Jul 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Dystopia & Mystery
Imagine life where there is no Government, the supermarkets have grown so big they rule the roost, and social media determines your place in society not money, or birth, or where you live or go to school.

Fluence tells the reality of this imagined world, where in an England not too different from our own people are battling it out on social media to gain fluence which will see them rise to a better colour, a better colour means a better job, home, lifestyle, friends, and even more fluence!

It's no
Lourie

*** I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review ***

I had a hard time rating this book. I couldn’t decide on a 3 or 4. In the end I choose to rate it a 4 because it did leave me contemplating todays society and where we are heading.

When I started reading “Fluence” I really thought it was going to be a satire on social media. And while it did start off that way it really proved to be more of a statement on social status and human behavior. Society in this book is based on
Naturalbri (Bri Wignall)
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fluence in the Big Brother, the 1984 of the social media age. Set in Orwell’s home city, this book takes place in a near-future London. Everything, statues, friendships, housing and even activity are decided based on the social media fluence points you earn in the earn. Rather than a time of money, the greed in solely based round your influence on the net, creating your world to the next year. Mess up, and you could lose your while life and everything you have worked for.

This story really caugh
Kayti Raet
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fluence by Stephen Oram is subtitled a contemporary dystopian novel and the name fits perfectly. Set in a near future London divided into a class structure based on influence, your social media popularity is everything. It's a future geared toward the so-called digital native and gives the illusion of upward mobility — if you play the game right.
Told from two points of view that are a bit typical for the genre. Amber, is the driven and calculated career womam who clawed her way up from the botto
Gary Knapton
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The superficiality of ego, vanity and purchasing power. The compassionless pit of ambition and senseless "doing" rather than being - are themes explored in this upbeat and fun read which is a side-swipe satire on modern globalised tech-driven lifestyles. All of us. Our values. Our cognition patterns. The sum total of our behaviours. The cost to family life and emotional intelligence.

It's an on-trend topic. Movie: The Circle starring Emma Watson. TV: BlackMirror season 3 episode 1 entitled "Nose
Privy Trifles
May 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was a read that left me spellbound in every possible manner. In short if I had to describe this book it would be - "This book is our future envisaged!"

Set in London this story talks about a society which is divided in a class structure based on our social media influences. Every year on a particular day everyone is assessed and given a colour. Called the Pay Day in the book the white is the lowest of the colour and red the highest in terms of ranking. You will find people battling in t
Vinay Leo
May 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Review @ A Bookworm's Musing (Actual rating is 3.5 Stars): http://wp.me/p2J8yh-32s

Fluence is a dystopian fiction that covers the story of two characters in a world where the distinction between people happens by strata levels named with colors, the lowest being white and the highest being red. One character is hell bent to do anything to rise up the ladder from her current level, while the other wishes to stay at the level he's at, but finds his strata points reducing, putting him at risk of fal
Hannah Symonds
Jul 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting read, it is a story that really makes you think what you would do. I liked how Amber and Martin the two main characters work together. It makes for an exciting read, I wanted to read on to find out what happens to them. I liked the author's writing style too, very descriptive.
Jannelies
Thanks to NetGalley for this book.

This is not the first book that revolves around this theme. It is the most complicated and layered one I've read so far.

When you live in a world where everything you do or say has a tremendous influence on your place in society, you can go two ways. Play along or get out. Amber is playing along, her colleague Martin wants out. We follow them both during the last week before the one day in the year it is decided what happens to people - go up or down in society.
Jantine
Jun 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fast-paced book tells about a world that is not that dissimilar from the world we know now - except that it is plain that corporations own it all. People are divided into stratae, and their jobs and wealth depends on how influential they are on social media.

'Fluence' follows a couple of people, showing their struggle to get as much (in-)fluence as possible in the week before the yearly Pay Day. Although their struggles seemed surreal in the beginning, they were easy to get invested into. As
Jule
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: dystopia-utopia, arc
The best dystopia is one that clearly shows you the downfalls of the present and the danger of being so close to becoming that terrible future. "Fluence" certainly manages that by making the reader think about social media. In this future, social media is all that counts. Your income, your job options, your status in society, the supermarket you shop at are determined by your level of interaction and popularity on social media and your willingness to cleverly and engagingly share your life and p ...more
BookwormishMe
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

A rather dystopian take on London in the future, Fluence introduces us to a society determined by your social media status. Pay Day is coming, and this once a year event uses an algorithm to determine your strata for the coming year. Will you move up? Or will you move down?

Amber is currently a Green. She’s married to Terence, also a Green, but unlike Amber, Terence is perfectly happy to be a Green. He lacks the ambition and drive that Amber has for climbing the Strata to Orange. They live in an
Gayathri
Apr 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have wondered time and again of a world without a government, or without the rules as we know. Most dystopian novels help us have a glimpse of such a world but a very few makes us wish they were true. Go ahead read if this book made the cut.

Originally reviewed for Musings over Nothing
Disclaimer: I received this book from the author free of cost in return for an honest review.

I am so excited about the world the book is set in. A world ruled by corporate, a world that sustains on a assessment o
Vikas
Mar 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was given an e-book copy for review by the author:

On the face of it, the story is the struggles of two individuals who are fighting to stay afloat in a dystopian world. But it's a frightening world which is very much possible where governments have collapsed and the governance is handled by 5 super corporations. These corporations own everything and everyone works for them. Every year there comes a day called Pay Day when people change position, it's exactly like appraisal in our jobs.

This ne
CassieRose
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Fluence is not your typical dystopian book, it is so much more! Stephen Oram created a world where the government is non-existent and big businesses control everything. You influence on social media determines how you live your life and is used as currency, Fluence. To improve your life style all you have to do is improve how influential you are and you will work your way up the levels of society, which are called St
Keith  Blodgett
Jul 23, 2016 rated it liked it
The book introduces a lot of characters, at one point I almost got a notebook to try and keep track of the people who pop in and out of the. . . story.
Truly, in a nutshell, the author has taken a page from many modern science-fiction. He's taken a word, in this case 'Influence' shortened it to 'Fluance' ant not only has he created a title for his work he's also created the thing people in this future strive for. It's as if Facebook and Twitter have taken over the world. The more likes, the more
Pete
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
If you decide to try this novel, I suggest you buckle your mental seat belt. The world in which Amber and Martin exist is about as zany a place as any I’ve come across whilst reading through Al’s list. Amber dresses and acts like a high-society member of The Hunger Games' Capital City. Martin is haunted and stressed and as out of place in his strata-level as George Orwell’s Winston Smith in 1984.

The strataed-society with its color-coded citizens (nice touch) manipulated by a small group of corpo
Alice Wood
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I took this book on holiday with me and couldn't put it down. It was a gripping count of social strata, ambition, and followed two families as they grappled with the demands of living in a society with rigid rules about scoring points using technology Facebook like, and meeting the demands of a society which expects everyone to fit I. With strata designed by corporations and overseen and manipulated by those in the highest strata, represented by colours.
As with his last book I loved the ideas an
Arpita Dash
Apr 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Full review on http://shinningappy.blogspot.in/2016/...

This book will lead you to a different world or I can say a dystopian world, where people compete with each other on social medias for fluence points. These points impact on the colors and those colors states the individuals life style including with whom they will socialize with. The status of each individual change once in a year .e. on pay day.

The book centralized on two main characters; Amber, a clever, socially bright and focused girl a
Philip
I could have beenn generous and gone for 4 stars when there were parts of the book I did not like - call it 3.5. These included the overdone descriptions of clothes and baking. That said the concept of money replaced by fluence for influence points as social media trending gone mad was interesting.

Not original was the story of big corporations ruling the world - badly. An alternate lifestyle culture of rebels and an all knowing and all powerful elite who conspire to lead the main characters in
Kristen Chandler
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic. I love dystopian, but what I love even more are fresh concepts and ideas. This book was all of the above.

I also loved how social media played such an important part in this book.............because right now, some peoples lives literally revolve around it.

AND this book is set in London. I love London :)

Also, Fluence is told from two points of view, another plus. Amber and Martin, who are polar opposites, take turns narrating this novel.

Fluence is interesting and defini
Jennifer Jamieson
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Reminds me a bit of Max Barry's Jennifer Government. Corporations ruling the world--poorly. People's values and judgement have faltered accordingly, and things are as amusingly disastrous as they sound. Entertaining read.

• The Event (The Survivors, #1)
I write novels and flash fiction that are designed set off small firecrackers of thought to light the world slightly differently inside your head!

I've been a hippie-punk, a religious-squatter and a bureaucrat-anarchist; I thrive on contradictions and am a great believer in being slightly askew from the crowd. There's all sorts of ways of doing that - by being on the fringes of society, by travelli