Start by marking “Before (After, #5)” as Want to Read:
Before (After, #5)

Before

(After #5)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  20,279 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews
Book Five of the After series—Anna Todd’s Wattpad fanfiction that racked up one billion reads online and captivated romance readers across the globe! As told by Hardin and other characters, Before will explore the hero’s life before he met Tessa, reveal what happens after After, give you new insights on their turbulent romance—and revel in the awesome power of true love. # ...more
Published December 8th 2015 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Before, please sign up.
herta lorono teheran I do not know if it's good to tell you the end of the story, I'm one of those who do not care because I still enjoy the end but read it a thousand tim…moreI do not know if it's good to tell you the end of the story, I'm one of those who do not care because I still enjoy the end but read it a thousand times, but this story is beautiful and worth reading.(less)

·  20,279 ratings  ·  1,117 reviews

Start your review of Before (After, #5)
Andie
Dec 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
'Before' is a companion novel to the 'After' series told from mainly Hardin's POV, with a few others thrown in there as well. Being inside Hardin's head was everything I expected it to be! His inner turmoil, his fight between wanting to be better but not quite knowing how, it was heartbreaking.

This was way more than just a retelling, we get a little backstory for some key characters (which I loved), plenty of scenes that were not in 'After', and of course the future scenes with their HEA.

My on
Clumsy Storyteller
Dec 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Well i'm sorry to say this but this book is a waste of time.... :( if you ve read AFTER you don't need to read this book it's exactly the same ( there's only 10 chapters that are new from HARDIN pov ) i'm so disappointed !!! ...... i was so excited when Anna annonced that there will be another book in the After's serie now i'm sad !

Ursula Uriarte
Oct 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
So much more than just a retelling! Not only do you get to look inside Hardin's head in some of the most crucial scenes in AFTER, you get to really see his moments of panic, fear and regret at what he'd done.
You get a glimpse at his BEFORE and his AFTER ... get to know a little bit more about some of the characters that played big parts in what went down, understand them a bit more. In the case of some of these characters reading a more about them changed my opinion on them even if just slightl
peachygirl
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2016
well, this shit was shittier than the rest.
If I could only go back in time and stop myself from reading this!
Harry's/Hardin's story is as dumb as it is filthy and Tessa is a joke to everyone, as usual. I don't know why there was another book in the godforsaken series to reiterate that.
✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰

PERFECT!!!
This was the perfect little cherry on top of this amazing series!
Of course I was a bit confused at first with all those girls names at the beginning - that's due to my #Booksalzheimers ☺ ...but I got it after a few pages!
I loved how everybody was given a few pages to tell their story - both at the beginning and at the end. And I love that we'll get to hear Landon's story soon.
I'm still a bit sad about all that time #Hessa had to spend apart... it all had to happen for them to find t
Suzana
Dec 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I’m blessed with a family that I couldn’t have dreamed of, and I’m raising kids who will be better than I ever was. Tessa’s head falls to the side, and I brush her hair away from her sleeping face. She’s been my calm, my fire, my breath, my pain, and no matter what we’ve gone through, every second was worth getting to the life we have now. I dragged Tess and myself through hell and back, but here we are—After everything, we made it to our own version of heaven. ♥♥♥
Vilma Iris
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Feelings of angst, anxiety, panic, trepidation, anticipation, regret and love, all flood back in the pages of Before—a companion novel to the After series told in Hardin Scott's POV. If you're a fan of the series, you'll love delving into Hardin's head, gaining insight into why he did the things he did, how they made him feel, and how he processed the consequences of those actions. We get to know Hardin a little better, experiencing first hand the childhood and events that led to his ornery pers ...more
Licam
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm so disappointed from this one. The most important stuff were missing. It was just messy with no purpose. I expected so much more.
Heather
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I'm kinda disappointed in the low reviews. I liked it. A lot.

***Maybe some Spoilers***

PART 1: THIS was the Before part. I thought it was good to have some insight to four other girls in Hardin's life.... Natalie, Molly, Melissa (Dan's sister), and Steph. I especially liked Molly's chapter. It actually makes me hate her a little bit less.

PART 2: This is basically After from Hardin's POV. Sometimes I hate entire books devoted to another's POV but Hardin struggled so much that I really wanted his
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads
2 stars
This was a good 'behind-the-scenes' addition to the After series. It gave readers a glimpse of some scenes from Hardin's perspective but also allowed readers to gain a better understanding for some of the characters with a look at their backgrounds.

I did think this novel was unnecessary when it came to the overall picture of the After series in general. You could easily skip this book and be just as happy with the conclusion from "After Ever Happy". In fact, I almost wish I would've stop
Maria Espadinha
Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Frog Saves Itself In The End...

"Before" puts an end into the adventures and misadventures of the Hessa couple, whom the readers of the "After" series, know as Tessa and Hardin.
The story concentrates on Hardin. We are gonna be there since his bad days, when there was no Tessa around to cheer him up!

We are gonna meet 2 Hardins -- a Hard-In Hardin and a Soft-In Hardin.
The first is a serial hearts breaker that "loves" and leaves girls as a hobby. Brought up in a toxical environmente that include
Luzie
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful addition to the "After"-series, I loved that we got an insight on both Hardins side of the first book and the other characters' of the series. I loved the additional end to the end of Hessa, at the end of this book. The thing that irritated me a lot were the references to Hardins previous lovers, especially Natalie. If Hardin would've toned it down a little more about Natalie, it would not have seemed as if he was replacing Natalie with Tessa, but since the story progressed so m ...more
Jo - •.★Reading Is My Bliss★.•
"When she opened herself to him, he climbed right in, making a home inside of her."

I could not resist reading this final book in the series and I am so glad I did! We learn more about Hardin's time in England, before he moved to the US. There are POV's from a few of the other characters, which I guess was to explain more about how they became who they are now.

I especially loved and was saddened by all the inner turmoil that went on inside Hardin's head. I loved when he came to the realisatio
Markéta
Dec 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: university
It's over! It's finally over!

I must admit that BEFORE was a lot better than the previous two books but it still was only alright and tolerable instead of great..

It answered the few guestions I still had after finishing After ever happy, but with each answered I got ten new. So basically I'm at ever worse place now than before.

Over all I'm so damn happy that it's over and that I don't have to read anymore! Of this series was shorter and less dramatic and back and forth it would be really great. N
Feb 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
What I like about this book is you get a few small looks into other characters lives as well as Hardin’s POV about the start of his relationship with Tessa. Great addition to the series.
Poly
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was ok
I must say I'm a bit disappointed, was expecting much more out of this POV. There are huge gaps of some very important chapters, and the pov of some of the other characters were pointless and it felt like they come to fill in a gap, make us learn more about them when in reality they served nothing but a time waster.
Some of them were nice, most of them were irrelevant.
Was expecting more of Hardin take on the events.
Would rather have the book with 200 pages more as long as those huge gaps would
Taylor Dee
Apr 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have officially read every book in the After series.😭 Tessa and Hardin’s story will remain very near and dear to my heart.❤️These books are unforgettable and have taught me so much. I’m so sad that the books have come to an end. However, I am ecstatic to see the movie this weekend!! Please show support and see the movie even if you haven’t read the books. It comes out April 12th!
Taylor
Jul 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Soooo freaking perfect! If I could give it more stars I definitely would. I never wanted to put this book down and when I did it was all I was thinking about. It's sooo much more than just a retelling. It digs deeper into the story from Before, to During, and After. Hardin Scott couldn't be anymore perfect. I will forever ship Hessa so hard. I loved seeing this beautiful story through Hardin's eyes and seeing what he was thinking when he first saw Tessa. BEFORE is set to release December 8th! (:
alyssa
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Last night I finished Before and I loved it. This book is SOOO much more then a retelling of After. I think what I loved the most about the book is Hardin's internal battle within himself. I loved how he always fought to make himself better and how stubborn he was. In the end he turned out to be this amazing person. I just love Anna's writting. I'M SO EXCITED TO READ LANDON'S STORY!!
Story Gypsy
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ah I loved the After series and this was such a nice little read to just bring back all the After feels.

Seeing things from Hardin’s perspective and the perspective of others was interesting and enlightening to see how each person views a situation so differently.
Katie
Apr 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
I guess it was interesting getting to see Hardin before he met Tessa and how he thought at the time. Obviously it was very problematic though... I enjoyed getting some more closure on most of the characters and also getting to be in the mind of a few characters that we didn't get too much from in the previous books.
Clyo (Las Páginas de Alex)
Fight me.
I truly liked the way Anna showed us Hardin's mind. Both before and after the things the books showed us.
I'll provably write s longer version of this review after. but it's 12:14am in Christmas eve and I'm sleepy.

Edit:
Hardin's side of the story it's the typical 'I know it's wrong but I'm going to try and justifying it anyways'. So it wasn't really a great explanation or a fantastical redemption tale. But it was great.

We got side stories for both Molly and Steph, and now I totally unde
themreadsbooks
Dec 10, 2015 rated it liked it
I found this book extremely repetitive and didn't live up to my expectations at all. I think the series should have ended with After Ever Happy. I'm being generous giving it three stars.
Angy Potter - Collector of Book Boyfriends
 photo before_zpso4w06c7f.jpg

BOOK & AUDIOBOOK REVIEW: 5+++ STARS

People tend to say that retelling stories from the male POV are boring and a waste of time. I ASSURE YOU, BEFORE IS NOTHING LIKE THAT!
Before is Hardin’s heart!
Before is the book that was missing to make this series perfect. I loved it from beginning to end and despite my hesitation to suffer all the #Hessa drama all over again, it has made me want to re-read all the books one more time, because their love/hate/love story is
duchessreading
Oct 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: new-adult
I will rate this by chapter and part , and i can´t talk about of this book much because i will give some spoilers if you still need to read the After series
Part One Before :
Smith - 5*
Hessa- 4.5*
Sandra Cortez
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I still can’t believe I read ALL 5 books. Hahaa. I will say all in all I enjoyed the series. I loathed almost every second of books 2 & 3 but 4 & 5 more than made up for it. And I appreciated their growth. Hardin worked for it and sought therapy. His destructive ways weren’t pushed under the rug and ignored. 8,000 pages later officially a fan of Hessa. ...more
Delaney
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
And I'm officially done with the After series!

This whole series was a roller coaster of emotions. I knew it was going to be, as I had heard about this series when it was all anyone could talk about when it was a fanfiction. I just didn't expect to get as emotionally invested in this series as I did. I was constantly wondering what was going to happen and what Tessa or Hardin were going to do next and when Zed or her mom was randomly going to show up or another obstacle was going to get in their
Yesse ||   Within_the_Pages
I really did want to love this book. I had so many expectations jumping into it but unfortunately, was disappointed. The After series was so good in my opinion, but I think Anna should have just left it alone after book 4. Sometimes it's best not to drag a story.

First of all, you cannot read this book as a stand alone because you wouldn't understand anything. Before gives you a little more insight on the other characters in the After series, and had Anna developed that alone, further, it probabl
Tiffany
Dec 29, 2015 rated it did not like it
I felt obligated to read this because I'd already suffered through the rest of the series, and I couldn't just.. not finish it. But my god. This entire series is so, so awful. And I'm a sucker for crappy entertainment, so that's saying a lot.

Worst characters ever. Hardin is a sh*thead, through and through. The fact that he eventually becomes capable of developing feelings for another human does not negate his sh*thead status, especially since he only becomes capable of those feelings because he
The Story Girl
Dec 04, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
"But he was terrified of their future, for he learned as a child that every lie made in the dark becomes an evil truth in the light."

My review will contain spoilers for all five books in the series.

Before is supposed to be a re-telling of book one from Hardin's point of view, and as such, I thought it would kind of explain his actions, and what exactly he was thinking when he decided to share Tessa's blood-stained sheet, but of course, that isn't even TOUCHED on. Instead, this book w
Emotionally Unstabled 1 19 Dec 20, 2015 04:52PM
Emotionally Unstabled 1 5 Dec 20, 2015 04:52PM

• Walking Disaster (Beautiful, #2)
  • Did I Mention I Love You? (DIMILY, #1)
  • A Beautiful Wedding (Beautiful, #2.5)
  • Did I Mention I Need You? (DIMILY, #2)
  • Did I Mention I Miss You? (DIMILY, #3)
  • The Mistake (Off-Campus, #2)
  • The Deal (Off-Campus, #1)
  • Beautiful Disaster (Beautiful, #1)
  • The Score (Off-Campus, #3)
  • The Goal (Off-Campus, #4)
  • Bully (Fall Away, #1)
  • Ugly Love
  • Twisted Palace (The Royals, #3)
  • Broken Prince (The Royals, #2)
  • Until You (Fall Away, #1.5)
  • Beautiful Oblivion (The Maddox Brothers, #1)
  • Going the Distance (The Kissing Booth, #2)
  • Culpa mía (Culpables #1)
ANNA TODD (Author/Writer/Producer) is the New York Times bestselling author of the After series of books, The Spring Girls, and the recent The Brightest Stars.

Always an avid reader, Todd began writing stories on her phone on Wattpad, the reading and writing multiplatform for original stories, with After becoming its most-read series with over 1.5 billion reads.

The print edition of After was pub

After (5 books)
  • After (After, #1)
  • After We Collided (After, #2)
  • After We Fell (After, #3)
  • After Ever Happy (After, #4)