Start by marking “How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More” as Want to Read:
How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More

How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More

Would you like to make a living with your writing? This book will show you how.

I spent 13 years working as a cubicle slave in the corporate world. I was miserable in my job and my creativity was stunted by the crushing daily grind.

Then I started writing books and blogging, using my words to create products and attract readers. In September 2011, I left my corporate job

Published June 22nd 2015 (first published June 1st 2015)

To ask other readers questions about How to Make a Living with Your Writing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Make a Living with Your Writing

Kristen Kieffer
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is an excellent beginner's guide to making money as a writer.

I was a bit disappointed to find that it didn't go more in-depth than it did. Joanna covered the basics of many different income streams, providing writers without career direction a look into the possibilities of their work.

And while I was hoping for a book that dove deeper than most of the material I've read thus far on this topic, I can't deny that Joanna Penn did an amazing job of laying out the basics for those who are
Mélissandre L.
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
J'avais déjà croisé le nom de Joanna Penn en surfant dans les milieux des auteurs indés mais je ne l'avais jamais lue. Merci à Cyril Godefroy pour son travail de traduction, je pense que j'aurais mis plus longtemps à la retrouver sans cet heureux hasard. Le livre est bourré d'informations intéressantes, de liens vers des articles pertinents et surtout de "pep talks", ces discours de motivation à l'américaine qui donnent l'impression d'avoir pris 15 cafés par intraveineuse. C'est une lecture qui ...more
Bronwyn
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: writing-books
I hate to give this three stars because I love Joanna Penn's podcast and website. I love what she does for indies and her can-do attitude. Unfortunately, I found most of this book not very useful for those of us who are already self-published. There's also a lot of "link" content instead of tips--click here to find out about this, click here to read about that. I know Penn probably wanted to keep things focused but it reads more like a PDF tip sheet than a book.

That said, there are a few tips he
J.A. Kahn
Feb 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a brilliant read. Very honest & focused, it is written in a friendly, conversational style as though the author is talking directly to you. The book is full of essential information that every author, especially self-published ones need.
Marian
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Joanna's blog and decided to check out her other writing advice in her books! Listened to the audiobook while I was at work and it's filled with a lot of great ideas. Definitely recommend if you're in the beginning of your writing career and looking how to further diversify your income streams.
Sincerae
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: writing, business
How to Make a Living with Your Writing is the best book I've read in the last few months concerning making an income from writing. This book is about the business of being an independent author (not vanity self publishing), but it also includes other avenues in writing where money can be earned such as professional blogging, podcasts, freelance writing, consulting, creative your own online classes, public speaking, marketing, and more.

The first portion of the book talks about all the elements o
Allan Walsh
Sep 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
As the title suggests, this non-fiction book is for writers who want to make a living from their writing.

The Bad Stuff: If you have read other books by Joanna Penn or follow her blog, you will find a fair bit of information you have already come across.

The Good Stuff: The great thing about this book is it is, at time of writing this review, available for free on Amazon. The book is packed with information that is valuable to writers of all levels. In addition to the info Joanna provides, there
Jeanette
How to Make a Living with Your Writint by Joanna Penn is a slim volume with clear, pratical tips and big impact. Penn outlines practical approach to making a living through (Indie) publishing - including multiple streams of income. So far, I've gone through the book twice, and will probably revisit it. I guess the proof in the pudding will be in a few years time ...
Duchess_Nimue
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
In this book Joanna tells her success story. She suggests all of the different ways of making money through writing.
I find this book understandable and helpful. Written in a clear language and achievable manner.
Savanna Roberts
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short, authentic, and full of helpful hints! Can’t wait to try out some of the new marketing strategies I’ve learned from this book!
Kylie Day
Jul 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Below follows a snippet of the review I originally published on my blog (http://www.thewritingkylie.com/review...)

This book is split onto two major parts:
Part 1 — How to make money from books
Part 2 — How to make money online in other ways

In Part 1, Penn goes into the world of publishing. She writes about both traditional publishing and self-publishing. There is more information about self-publishing, which isn’t strange since Penn has much experience in self-publishing.

Here she also writes about
Balle  Millner (Blogger, Freelance Writer, Aspiring Autho
Review coming soon.
E.P.
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Everybody wants to be a writer. Until they try to become one.

In short, writing itself is a lot of work, and trying to make any money off of it can be like shouting into a void. But that doesn't stop many of us from dreaming. Joanna Penn is one of the few who has turned the dream into a reality, and has written a series of books, as well as her blog and podcasts, full of tips and tricks on how she did so and how you can too.

Of course, the savvy reader can't help but notice that a lot of her succe
Sally Olson
Jan 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
In this book of Joanna Penn's, she emphasizes HOW TO MAKE A LIVING with your writing. In other words, she strives to teach the value of building a scalable writing business. Therefore, you'll find very little information about how to write a book or how to market a book. But, she's a savvy author-preneur and has those topics neatly packed into her other books.

Here, she generously shares her knowledge of publishing (the pros and cons of each option), writing in more than one genre, repurposing co
Antonia
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another tremendous success from Joanna Penn! With excellent narration by Caroline Holroyd (who sounds quite a lot like Joanna). This book is an overview and covers the basics of many topics. But Joanna has many more resources at her website, http://thecreativepenn.com. She must be one of the best podcasters ever for anyone interested in creativity, writing, and self-publishing. Joanna is an inspiration to so many writers, beginning and accomplished. This is extremely helpful guide for both ficti ...more
Amber Morant
Feb 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Creative Penn just got better

I've been listening to the Creative Penn for a few months now. She is so positive which is a shock for the books she writes and honestly love her personality. Reading this book it had lots of information and outside resources so we can see her suggestions being used in her own career and points to other resources.
Rachel
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for someone considering a career in writing. If you’ve already made the leap, then one of Joanna’s other books might be more targeted; this one is for the beginner.

Joanna doesn’t just preach how to make money from writing; she lives it. She writes both fiction as J.F. Penn, and non-fiction books like these as Joanna Penn. In a previous life, she was a consultant, and her business background shows through in everything she does to grow her business of writing.

So everything she says
Danielle Donaldson
Sep 28, 2015 rated it liked it
I hate to say it but I didn't learn that much from this book that I haven't already learned from Joanna's podcast. That being said, if you want to learn how to make a living with your writing, BEYOND your books, this book might come in handy for you. If you are interested in content marketing, affiliate programs or doing webinars for people, this might be a good resource.

I'm not interested in that at the moment. Personally, I want to write more books, grow my library and really start making mon
Ene Sepp
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Trummipõrin, fanfaarid ja katkematu aplaus. Ma lugesin viimaks ometi läbi esimese e-raamatu! Tegu on raamatuga, mida ma isegi oleksin valmis ostma (kui see tasuta juba kättesaadav poleks) aga kindlasti uurin ma veel täpsemalt, mida Penn pakub ja täitsa võimalik, et toetan teda mõnda muud teost ostes. Miks? Sest see raamat oli lihtsalt nii täppi. Seal oli mitmeid kohti, kus ma noogutasin kaasa "Täpselt nii!" ja mitmeid kohti, mis sundis (mõttelisse) peeglisse vaatama ja nentima, et ma ilmselgelt ...more
Kate M. Colby
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indie-publishing
Joanna Penn has a knack for covering a wide berth of information in clear and concise ways. This book covers the various ways writers can make a living through their craft. If you are new to the idea of making a living through writing or to the writing industry in general, this is a perfect guide for you. However, if you already know your publishing options and other ways to create income streams through writing, reading this book may be a good refresher, but I would advise going straight to BUS ...more
Rasana Atreya
Jun 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
When I started to read this book I thought it might not be for me because the author covers a lot of stuff seasoned Indies already know. Part two was where it was completely worth it for me. I loved the author's can-do attitude, I loved that she has so many ideas on how to monetize your skills. If you do even what half of what she suggests, you'll be able to make a pretty good living. Do buy this book. Well worth it for all the practical suggestions she gives you.

Note: I received an advance revi
Lucy Hay
Oct 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent guide for both the newbie and the seasoned writer and blogger that can act as a powerful reset. HOW TO MAKE A LIVING WITH YOUR WRITING shows how it's all in our hands on how to have the lifestyle we want. I was particularly impressed with the notion of defining what success means to you PERSONALLY, as well as the notion that it's mindset and strategy that count above all else. A fantastic, positive and life affirming blueprint I will have no hesitation in recommending to my Bang2wri ...more
Angela Maher
Nov 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is the best book I've come across so far that discusses how to make money from your writing. It suits someone just starting out, and although not everyone will be interested in everything included, it is a solid, realistic book on what you can do and how you can do it. As with seemingly all books of this kind, there are plenty of references to other books, etc, when it could have included more in-depth advice within this book, but it's a good place to start.
Penfist Penfist
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's short, succinct and packed with ideas. If you're interested in making an income as a self-published author, this one is worth your time. It's geared mostly towards someone who wants several income streams: writing non-fiction, speaking, blogging and podcasting are primary vehicles. If you only want to focus on writing fiction, there are some good ideas here, but the main focus is on diversification in the areas I've mentioned.
Gillian Kevern
3.5 rounded up! This wasn't as helpful as I was hoping as it felt like a lot of the advice, I'd heard before -- from Joanna in the free resources that she makes available for writers on her website and through her podcast. However, it is going to be a great offline resource for those times when I need a reminder but can't get online to refresh my memory.
Elise Edmonds
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A great read for anyone thinking of publishing books (not just those who want to make a living from it). Full of great tips and resources plus ideas for various income streams relating to writing.
Wayne Marinovich
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quality read in short sharp bursts. Some of the points the author has mentioned in her previous works, but some new bits that I have not read before.
L.R. Rutherford
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
How to Make a Living with Your Writing: Books, Blogging and More by Joanna Penn

This book was a wonderful look into the difference between being an indie writer and a traditional author. I love the way how this is laid out breaking down the entrepreneur side of writing in today’s market. If you are looking for an easy to read guide to kick start your independent writing career then this would be on my short list of recommendations.

What really established her ethos in this self-help book was tha
Matt
Feb 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
In this deftly written, concise and highly practical guide, Joanna Penn provides useful tips and advice for the aspiring writer. Beginning with her own story and career beginnings, Joanna outlines the principal ways of monetising one’s writing, with the goal of developing multiple streams of passive income through creating intellectual property. I was very impressed with the range of techniques, software, and strategies currently in existence to bring this about, and these are explained in an ho ...more
Ronel Janse van Vuuren
This book covers how to use your writing in various ways to make a living from it. Step-by-step Joanna takes you through what it means to be published, how your rights (ebook, print, audio,etc.) work and how you can exploit them, how to make an income from older books and how to do some of the publishing stuff yourself.

She even mentions great products you can use that she uses herself – and I’m definitely going to follow her advice! It just makes sense: she already made the mistakes and learned

• Nine Day Novel: Writing Faster: 10K a Day, How to Write a Novel in 9 Days, Structuring Your Novel For Speed (9 Day Novel)
  • How to Make a Living As a Writer
  • Writing Habit Mastery - How to Write 2,000 Words a Day and Forever Cure Writer’s Block
  • Lifelong Writing Habit: The Secret to Writing Every Day
  • Write Better, Faster: How To Triple Your Writing Speed and Write More Every Day
  • Million Dollar Outlines
  • How to Write a Non-fiction Ebook in 21 Days
  • Let's Get Visible: How To Get Noticed And Sell More Books (Let's Get Digital, #2)
  • Writing into the Dark: How to Write a Novel without an Outline
  • Write Every Day: How to Write Faster, and Write More (Rock Your Writing, #4)
  • The Author Training Manual: Develop Marketable Ideas, Craft Books That Sell, Become the Author Publishers Want, and Self-Publish Effectively
  • Book Launch Blueprint: The Step-by-Step Guide to a Bestselling Launch
  • Gotta Read It!: Five Simple Steps to a Fiction Pitch that Sells
  • Fiction Unboxed
  • The Self-Publisher's Ultimate Resource Guide
  • 45 Master Characters: Mythic Models for Creating Original Characters
  • How to Write a Book That Doesn't Suck and Will Actually Sell: The Ultimate, No B.S. Guide to Writing a Kick-Ass Non-Fiction Book
Joanna Penn is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of thrillers writing under the name J.F. Penn. She also writes inspirational non-fiction for authors and is an award-winning creative entrepreneur and international professional speaker. Her site, TheCreativePenn.com is regularly voted one of the top 10 sites for writers and self-publishers.