Start by marking “100 Plants to Feed the Bees: Provide a Healthy Habitat to Help Pollinators Thrive” as Want to Read:

The international bee crisis is threatening our global food supply, but this user-friendly field guide shows what you can do to help protect our pollinators. The Xerces Society for Invertebrate Conservation offers browsable profiles of 100 common flowers, herbs, shrubs, and trees that attract bees, butterflies, moths, and hummingbirds. The recommendations are simple: sow s ...more
Published November 29th 2016 by Storey Publishing, LLC (first published April 19th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about 100 Plants to Feed the Bees, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100 Plants to Feed the Bees

Start your review of 100 Plants to Feed the Bees: Provide a Healthy Habitat to Help Pollinators Thrive
Terri
Calling all activists and gardeners..this is a must read! Since we all know why the world's bees are dying than the most obvious thing to do is to help them. This wonderful book will teach you what to plant and why. Great information. My husband and I swore off pesticides years ago and we do keep our garden on the wild side with a huge bee garden. Even if you do not garden, you can gift plants and seeds to people who do. Read this book and help save the world. Five stars.
Chris
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Extremely informative and useful pollinator book. The best of all I’ve read so far. Lovely colored pictures, plant information, and for beekeepers (which I’m not), but I still want to attract more of them to my garden, there’s info on the types of honey extracted from plants, which plant is a high producer/attractor, growing conditions, etc.

There’s a tree that when it’s exposed to drought conditions is attractive to bees, but because of the dry environment, makes the nectar toxic and the honey
Clare O'Beara
I totally enjoyed this colourful book of facts and figures, copiously illustrated with photos. We first find out what insects are pollinators and learn about honey; plants provide a variety of resources for bees and we use some of those too. Pollen, nectar, honeydew, propolis and shelter are the main assets.

A key indicates which plants feed honeybees, other native bees, butterflies, moths and hummingbirds. Some plants can be planted in gardens across America and others will thrive in certain re
Janis Hill
I would like to thank Storey Publishing for providing me with a free electronic ARC of this book, via Netgalley, in exchange for an open and honest review.

Okay, I will come out and say first that I love this book, feel we need this book and that all countries of the world need a version of this book adapted to their own native and introduced pollinators and plants.

I wanted to make that clear before I say the following as I fear some may take it as more negative than it is meant. I mean it as jus
Marzie
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an extremely useful resource for those seeking to promote the health of bees, whether eusocial or solitary. A plethora of information about plants to promote the happiness and health of your bees.
A_s
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guide has a good selection of plants for bees and other pollinators. 10/10 would recommend.
B
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a beautiful and useful book! Highly recommend!
David R.
Mar 07, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: natural-history
Very disappointing. There's little concern given to what are native plants versus invasives. Many of the "feature species" ought not be in many pollinator gardens, dependent on region.
PamG
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an excellent gardening reference for plants that provide benefits to bees. I was especially glad that it included information on which plants provided nectar (or are host plants) to hummingbirds, butterflies, and moths. The focus, though, was on honey bees.

I was disappointed that the book brought in non-native plant species which can escape and become invasive. The authors reminded you to check locally to see if particular plants are invasive in your area. However, I would have preferr
Peter A
Aug 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very handy book for people thinking of planting flowering plants to attract bee pollinators, put together by a group of authors associated with The Xerces Society, which works to protect invertebrates and their habitats (https://xerces.org/)*.

The book starts with a brief overview (about 14 pages) of plant anatomy, bees, information about foraging, the landscape (including locally native plants), and pesticides. The remainder of the book presents, one at a time, the 100 plants, in cate
Mark Muckerman
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid info, and exactly as promoted: USER FRIENDLY

Clear, concise and focused, 100 Plants is a great starter and reference book for those considering pollinator-friendly planting or landscaping.

Logically divided between flowering plants and trees/bushes, each entry typically spans two easy-to-read pages, providing background on each plant, potential hive honey output, quality/flavor commentary on resultant honey, photos, and (most importantly) easy and consistent visual icons & graphics to illust
S
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Well, I have only read two books by the Xerces Society (so far), and I know that is not enough to establish a trend... but I have to say, these are some of the best garden books I have come across - lovely photos, quality binding, well-designed and informative. The only think I could wish for is that they had regionally specific versions, since so many of the 100 plants herein can't even be considered for my high desert locale.

But oh well! This is a great book for gardeners who want to encourage
Henry Louis
Dec 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
This was clear and concise with a lot of information.

My two main complaints: First, it is organized alphabetically by common names instead of scientific (with no index) which is makes it hard to find things.

Second, for the most part it has information about genus rather than specific species, which isn't that helpful when there are lots of different species within a genus with different growing conditions.

Still, this is a nice quick reference to at least narrow down your plant selection.
Shae Johnson
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great book of information that anyone interested in keeping pollinators healthy and happy. I read this book as a reference as I am preparing a presentation to a Bee Club. These members are interested in pollinators of all kinds. The information is excellent. Whether you are a beekeeper, or a home gardener, the information in this book will be of interest. It has a listing of mostly native plants that are great for pollinators—for gathering both pollen and nectar.
Lkowalczyk
Feb 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is more a reference book than a "reading" book, but contains excellent information. Anyone interested in putting bee friendly plants in their yard show pick it up. I would also recommend cross-checking with other sources about the plants so that you don't end up planting noxious weeds or plants not suited for your climate. I found a few new ones to try this year!
Isabel Giraldo
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Most of the plants are prairie plants for large spaces, not much you can have on a windowsill, porch, or small area. They're missing some of the more common ones like lavender that you would have an easier time finding/buying. A lot of these too seem like they would dominate your garden.
Cindy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I checked out this book from my local library in a trade paper format. The photographs and illustrations are fabulous! I liked the brief overview and that each featured plant included a favorable habitat map and so much more.
Judith Shelton
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The little bee may hold the key to the success of failure of our planet.

No bees, no plants. A nice breakdown into which plants to incorporate into a home environment for beauty, pleasure and bees!
Trish Remley
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic overview and plant list.
Cynthia Holt
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good basic and informative
Kristina
I wish it had been organized by region. That would have made it easier to find plants that were appropriate for my yard
Jenn Lassa
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gardening
Great resource!
Michele
Apr 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: flutterings
Gives lists of plants with regions, sun, soil and water requirements, color, bloom time and height. May be purchasing...
Theresa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good book showing many plants that are good for bees and their kin. Gives some idea about where the plants will grow, and honey yields if known.
Tegan
Apr 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice reference.
Debbie
May 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of good information. I would have preferred if it was set up regionally and by sun / shade. Would be much easier to reference when looking for plants
Roxy
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good reference book
Stephanie
Dec 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Beautiful pictures and descriptions on different plants for bees.

Sections include:
Native and Nonnative Bee Pasture Plants
Jennifer Poncin
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Very helpful and easy to read! It is straightforward and includes maps and overviews for each species of plant. It is also very well organized alphabetically and by type of plant. I have my yard all planned out for the rest of my life.
Connie
Mar 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful guide to bee friendly natives. I don't know who loved it more, me or my mother.

• Creating Sanctuary: Sacred Garden Spaces, Plant-Based Medicine, and Daily Practices to Achieve Happiness and Well-Being
  • National Wildlife Federation(r) Attracting Birds, Butterflies, and Other Backyard Wildlife, Expanded Second Edition
  • The Suburban Micro-Farm (Full Color Edition)
  • What It's Like to Be a Bird: From Flying to Nesting, Eating to Singing—What Birds Are Doing, and Why
  • Nature's Best Hope: A New Approach to Conservation that Starts in Your Yard
  • Living Wild: Gardening, Cooking and Healing with Native Plants of California (Second Edition)
  • Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-scale Permaculture
  • All New Square Foot Gardening
  • Silvertip: A Year in the Life of a Yellowstone Grizzly
  • Crazy Plant Lady
  • Say Yes to the Duke (The Wildes of Lindow Castle, #5)
  • The One-Straw Revolution
  • Vegetables Love Flowers: Companion Planting for Beauty and Bounty
  • Dark Ark, Vol. 2: Old Gods
  • First Comes Scandal (Rokesbys #4)
  • The Essential Enneagram
  • My Vanishing Country
  • God Country

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »