Start by marking “Study Hall of Justice” as Want to Read:
Study Hall of Justice

Study Hall of Justice

(DC Comics: Secret Hero Society #1)

Being the new kid at school is tough, especially when your school is called Ducard Academy and your name is Bruce Wayne. There's a gang of jokers roaming the halls, a muscle-headed kid named Bane wants to beat you up, and your guidance counselor Hugo Strange seems really, well, strange.

This inventive novel follows young Bruce Wayne and his friends Clark (Superm
Published January 26th 2016 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Study Hall of Justice, please sign up.

Anne
Another buddy read with my little Supergirl!

description

Sophie's review: <--because her's is the MOST important
All five stars!
It was good. It was very kid-like, and I liked that a lot. I didn't like that you didn't get to see the Bat-cave. My favorite character was Batman, because he had the coolest stuff. Like, he didn't have his Bat-belt, so he used his regular be
Lexie
So fun! I love Dustin Nguyen and Derek Fridolfs "Lil Gotham" and this appeared to be just as delightful.

did not disappoint. It's a fun what if of the school AU variety that is very popular in fanfic, reimagining the Caped Crusader, Man of Steel and Amazonian Princess as elementary school kids investigating super shady shit at their new school. Like NINJAS. So. Many. Ninjas.

Anyone with passing familiarity with the universe with recognize the students and teachers alike (Pa
Chris
Apr 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dc-comics
I was hoping Secret Hero Society would be similar to the Batman: Li'l Gotham comic series, especially as it features the same creative team of Derek Fridolfs and Dustin Nguyen. There's a certain familiarity to the artwork and humour, but rather than a comic, this is an age-appropriate kids book consisting of a mixture of black and white sketches, journal entries and other assorted texts. Still, the book is an easy and entertaining read for all young super hero fans to enjoy.

Bruce Way
Mehsi
Batman, Superman, and Wonderwoman team up and investigate their new school!

I have been meaning to read this since this one came out, sadly I never had the chance until now! I am not a big DC/Marvel reader, but I do know the characters and I do enjoy reading some comics. So I was pretty excited to see Batman, Superman, and Wonderwoman team up. Though not as adults, but as kids. And all of them are still discovering who they are and what they can do.

For instance Clark is sl
Stacey
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
This read was quite a bit of fun. I didn't know what to expect going into it, but what I got was entertaining.

Middle school aged Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman: Why not?

Solving mysteries at a young age, trying not to break the rules as they go.

It's worth the read, especially if you are a fan of the original stories. Alternate universes that are done well are great. For a young adult, adult, or kid, this book could entertain anyone. I look forward to more o
Emily Zonker
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. I like that they made a story of villains and heroes in middle school. It's amazing how Bruce, Kent, and, Diana at the same school. It's got funny parts and serious parts. This is like me because in the book Bruce is trying to get use to middle school and I don't understand that much of middle school yet.
Olivia
My little sister wanted me to read this series. So here I am, reading a DC Comics graphic novel. It wasn't bad, it wasn't good, either way, it was just eh. She asked me to read the second and third one, so I am looking forward to that experience.
Stacy Fetters
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The dos and don’ts to pulverize your opponent:
•Do fight
•Do cheat
•Do steal
•Don’t play fair
•Don’t be a good sport
Give Out Discipline Or Be Disciplined!!!"

This was exquisitely cute. I really enjoyed the mix of how the story is laid out. It switches from comics to private messages to surveillance stills and even private diary entries. As an entire whole, this was a well thought out kiddie mystery with some of our favorite villains and heroes.

Can’t wait to continue this wacky series.
Chris
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Reviewed first at Brunner's Bookshelf

So the hype behind Batman v Superman is so huge that so many things have spun off from this movie. My kids loved the cereal that hit grocery store shelves. Not only have food companies and car companies found a way to make money off this movie but a lot of kids books have come out. I love the fact that this movie created more books because I love to read and anytime my kids are excited to read I will make myself broke buying books for them.

My son is 6 and in
Crysta
Jun 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting take on the DC universe. The use of notes and and journal entries was a neat way to tie together sections. And then there's that moment when I realized that the kid I was looking at in a panel was a young version of the Joker.
Feb 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, funny, graphic
this is so funny. There should be a series!
Amy
I burned through this quick little graphic novel one afternoon after school. I picked it up because I had one kiddo race through them (he is eagerly awaiting book 4) and I had a copy at home because my son is reading it as well.

Overall, this was a cute/fun spin on comics and the origin stories of Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman. Kids will enjoy the format and the humor. My only complaint: some of the plot moved too quickly and jumped without enough of a bridge. Minor detail and so
Jessica Kim
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good and fun book.
Michelle
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
My Thoughts
I picked these up at my daughters book fair for her and decided to read it myself. I loved the characters and thought it was really cute to see them as young kids. Each with the personality of their adult counterparts.I found the story to be very cute.I wasn't sure if I liked who it is presented. The back and forth between characters and the way the story is told is a little all over the place. Probably really cute for kids and they would enjoy it but as an adult I was looking for m
Ms. Yingling
Oct 26, 2015 rated it liked it
EARC from Edelweiss Above the Treeline

In this graphic novel, young Bruce Wayne is being sent to a new private school, Ducald (in my copy, Doomvale in the Goodreads description) Academy. He is surprised to see that bad behavior is encouraged, and that the teachers all seem fairly evil as well. He is bedeviled by students like Joe Kerr and the other class clowns, but does make an uneasy friendship with farm boy Clark, who wants to be a reporter, and foreign exchange student Diana. The
Michael
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Should a school age Bryce Wayne be fun? Why does Batman in middle school sound like fun?

I didn't go in thinking this kids graphic novel was going to be that good. I didn't think it'd hold my attention and make it hard to put down. I knew the art would be beautiful. Dustin Nguyen's art is always amazing. He doesn't disappoint. Plus he's the perfect artist for kid batman. The writing was where I was surprised. I wasn't excepting Derrek Fridolfs to write anything special, but he did!

A
Kristen
May 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this one, but I was disappointed. I like the idea of "superheros as kids" and I like the idea of a story told in multiple forms (cartoons, diary entries, online chat conversations, etc.), but unfortunately this just didn't work for me. The graphics are extremely minimalist, and while it's a cool effect, it made the story harder to follow. When there's not many words, readers (particularly my middle grade students) rely on the pictures, and sometimes it was hard to figure out ...more
Scott Robins
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman are all kids, pre-superheroes and all enrolled in a school with a dark secret. Told in comics, text messages, emails, journal entries, lists, this disjointed and fragmented narrative attempts to tell a story but I don't think it's very successful. The same criticism I have with many of DC's publications for kids like Tiny Titans, I found this to be yet another collection of inside DCU continuity jokes and obscure references that kids won't likely get. My ARC did ...more
Ismael Medina
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book is about Clark’s, Diana’s, and Bruce’s past when they were in high school. This book is amazing not only because they are DC comics but also this book is more like an extra side story. Furthermore, the art is also great! My favorite part was when Ducard high school had a Halloween party. Bruce dressed up as batman, Diana and Clark did the same so they revealed their hero identities as costumes! Then after that Bruce got mad because when they were texting each other he asked them to wea ...more
Adriana
Jan 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nguyen's art is as pretty as ever and Fridolfs has a lot fun playing around with the characters, but the story is a bit rushed and disjointed. The way the story gets told is original and keeps things from getting stale, but it also interferes with the narrative.
I enjoyed it, but it was mostly from finding easter eggs and seeing how classic elements were included and transformed into a school environment. I'm not sure a younger or casual reader would find them as interesting as I did.
Michelle Cristiani
Dustin Nguyen is my favorite comic artist, so each page was a treat. There were lots of Easter eggs for die-hard DC fans, and the pace was multifaceted. Lots of text messages, group chats, journal entries, along with the regular comic format. It is brilliant introduction to graphic novels for younger readers, while still entertaining for older readers who already know the drill.
Josh Newhouse
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 16jan
Cute if slight quick read! I liked it though art was a bit literally sketchy! Very Jedi Academy!
Erik Fazekas
Ufff... This was supposed to be fun. Well the first half was, the second was just boring and a not ao good mash up of almost every bad superhero movie. Disappointed.
Ceic
Jan 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
sooo cute! i love young superheros
Nicolas
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was cute, but I don't think the format really worked.
Harry
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love the art and the funny houmor
Klaudia Janek
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: libres
This graphic novel is set at Ducard Academy. A young Bruce Wayne, Clark Kent and Diana Prince have just been accepted to this prestigious school. However, when they get there, they all have a feeling that something is off. They are bullied by clown-faced classmates, shady instructors and the reader can see ninjas in the background. They decide to meet in the library, however, they soon realize that school's vigilant central computer system/librarian, is watching their every move. They decide to ...more
Debbie
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: multigenre
Like Jedi Academy, this book is told in journal entries, sketches, photos, text messages, newspaper articles, textbook excerpts, plus the traditional comic book panels you’d expect from a graphic novel. I like the DC heroes and villains, but I’m not well-versed on them like some. I recognized Batman, Superman, Wonder Wonder, Poison Ivy, Bane, Catwoman, Joker, Harley Quinn, Mad Hatter, and a few others. But an equal amount of students and staff in the book I didn’t know, although there were clear ...more
Soobie's scared
I adored the art!! The not very detailed black and white drawings were fabulous! Really! But I've been reading black and white manga since I was 12 so maybe I'm a bit biased. And yes, I prefer black and white to dull colors!

I bought this on a whim and I didn't know what it was about. I mean, I knew there were young Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman and that was enough.

I like the private school setting but I was wondering how the principal could invite Bruce, Clark and Diana to a sch
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Cardboard Kingdom
  • Itty Bitty Hellboy
  • Lucy & Andy Neanderthal (Lucy & Andy Neanderthal, #1)
  • Gronk Volume 1 (Gronk, #1)
  • Fluffy Strikes Back
  • Batman: Li'l Gotham, Vol. 2
  • Mr. Pants: It's Go Time!
  • Takio
  • Waking the Monsters
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Zootopia (Junior Novelization)
  • Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland
  • Peter & Ernesto: A Tale of Two Sloths
  • Gotham City Sirens, Vol. 3: Strange Fruit
  • All-New Wolverine, Volume 2: Civil War II
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 2
  • The Exquisite Corpse Adventure
Derek Fridolfs has worked professionally as an writer, inker, cover & sequential artist for DC, Marvel, Dark Horse, Boom, IDW, and a majority of comic companies the past 20 years.

#1 New York Times Best Selling Writer for the DC Secret Hero Society book series through SCHOLASTIC. And Eisner Nominated co-writer of Batman: Li'l Gotham at DC.

He's also written for such title

DC Comics: Secret Hero Society (6 books)
  • Fort Solitude
  • Detention of Doom
  • Science Fair Crisis
  • Field Trip Disaster
  • DC Comics: Secret Hero Society (3 Book Series)