Start by marking “Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)” as Want to Read:
Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)

Dear Lady (Coming to America #1)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  886 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
Dear Mary,

New Prospects, Montana, is nothing like England—so terrifying and beautiful at the same time, and much larger than I dared imagine when you and I first embarked on our adventures in the New World.

I have had the good fortune of becoming the town's schoolmistress. Young Janie Steele is as precious as I imagined from her letters. As for her father, Garret Steele...

O
Published May 11th 2008 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Lady

Alexa
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great " immigration " story and I found suspenseful at times. It's hard not to get imagine it being you, especially if this experience exists in your personal history.

Read before Good Reads or Internet was in my hands.
Ellen
Oct 20, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I spotted the Coming to America series by Robin Lee Hatcher, I was excited, thinking that one of my favorite authors just put out something new. I later learned that this was a slightly updated edition of her earlier work in the general romance market. As such, I think I could see areas where she has grown as a writer, parts that seemed a bit more choppy, for example. Even so, I can see how these characters and their stories still hold such charm for Hatcher and her readers. A English woman ...more
Sherri
This is a quick read or else I couldn't put it down or didn't have anything to do for the day...It's a book that reminds me when we judge people that come into our life by others that have hurt us or done us wrong, visit those sins of others on them, and generally miscommunicate. Times were different in those days compared to the society we live in now. This is the first in a trilogy, whatever happens to Beth's friends???
Lynnda Ell
Apr 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Lady is the first book of a four book series. The best thing about this book is that it stands alone as a complete and satisfying book for those of us who love to read a good love story. The book has conflict, tension, troubles and confusion layered in and around the heroine and hero.
Susan
Jun 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty predictable
Sara ♥
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it

I really loved this one. Lady Elizabeth Wellington, who, upon coming to America is just going by "Miss Beth Wellington", goes to Montana to escape from her totally evil betrothed. She's been corresponding to a girl in America, Janie Steele, whose mother's dad and her dad were friends (or some such Jerry Springer-like connection). Anyway, Janie mentioned in a letter than her school teacher had left and they didn't have anyone to teach them so she's like, "Hey! I'll do that!"

So she goes
Jessica
Though there are some parts of this story that are predictable, it remains a heartwarming story.
Beth's character is strong and endearing, and she grows up a lot in the few months she lives in New Prospects. I was surprised at her strength. Having gone through so much I would expect some emotional baggage but she squares her shoulders and moves on. Admirable.
Garrett bounced around between annoying and charming for me. There were plenty of times I wanted to shake him and tell him that past hurts
Gail Cooke
Mar 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you like historical romances best you get in line for this one! Dear Lady is Book One in the Coming to America series created by Robin Lee Hatcher. The series will feature three very different women who come to America to begin new lives for themselves. Set in the late 1800s and early 1900s readers will find a bit of history, some mystery and, of course, love.

Book One introduces Beth Wellington who came from England to the big sky country of Montana - what a change! As she writes to a friend
Kathryn
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Martha
Jun 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adjectives that pop into my mind when thinking about this book is cheesy and cliche. It reminded me of the typical romance novel, but the story was a little different. Beth and Garret fell in love so quickly it made me want to roll my eyes. They had only spoken a few words to each other and already they were in love. Also, like most typical historical romance novels, the three main characters were in danger in some way and it made the other character realize that they loved them. That's why ...more
Dora Wagner
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: name-2015, series
What is a noble lady to do, when she finds herself alone in England expected to marry a man, who enjoys causing pain? What else, travel to America and begin a new life. So begins the journey of Lady Elizabeth Wellington. Her family gone, she travels the world with the hopes of teaching in Montana.

Robin Lee Hatcher always gives you great read. She is a wonderful storyteller and always centers her books on truth. There is an underlying story of old hurts and healing that must take place. We all h
Dani
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The setting is what drew me to this story. I've always enjoyed these kinds of tales. Beth's past in England was interesting and made her a unique addition to her new community. What I liked best was the relationship between Beth and Janie, it was very sweet. The characters in this story seem pretty human, they cover a wide range of personalities, and as a reader I appreciated that. I really disliked Owen's pushing Beth to marry him, it was annoying, though probably pretty accurate for some peopl ...more
Stephanie
Oct 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed it, but it seemed a bit fragmented to me. The characters seemed to change too quickly, and I felt like I was reading about 2 different people by the end. Perhaps that was the authors' intention, but regardless of their changes of heart, they still should have remained the same at the core. The little girl and other supporting characters did, just not the hero and heroine. I enjoyed it enough to read the next in the series, which also had similar issues. I don't think I will get the 3rd ...more
Lisa Morrow
May 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! It was easy to imagine myself as the main character in the book, and was a welcome escape as I sat in the hospital with my daughter and read as she slept. Thank you, Robin Lee Hatcher, for creating this well-written tale that became a well-needed diversion for me in our time of need.
Susan
Sep 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A three minus. The first of a series. Three young women leave Europe for America. This deals with a titled lady who runs away from an arranged marriage to find her own way in Wyoming. She decides to become a school teacher. A very trite theme and I could have used some variation on that theme. However, it was still pretty good, enough I'll probably look up the next one sometime.
Jennifer Morefield
I enjoyed the story. A bit dramatic and predictable, but I am a sucker for romance. Particularly enjoyed the fact that it did not have gratuitous sex. I like Robin Lee Hatcher's Christian oriented books as well. This is not my first Robin Lee Hatcher book and will not be my last. I listened to this book on audio and really enjoyed the narrator. She did a good job.
Robin Lee Hatcher
The Coming to America series was birthed in my imagination the day I stood in the large building on Ellis Island, looking at the passenger logs with the names of people from Ireland, Sweden, England, and more. My Swedish great-grandparents came to America in 1868, and I have often pondered the courage needed to begin that journey. I loved writing these stories. They felt very personal to me.
Crystal
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
great read. though not as overt in other books, themes of faith, trust and forgiveness are the undercurrent in this novel. I was especially intrigued by the comparison's between the villages in the main character's home province of England and her new hometown of New Prospects. Montana. A nice light read prefect for a snowy day..
Lucy Bilik
This was a wonderful book of ladies journey from England to escape unwanted marriage to Montana. She was satisfied with her position until she met a man who never wanted to marry again. yet she learned that she does want kids & family. Very interesting turn of events makes this book very enjoyable.
Joy
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book and look forward to the others in the series. I enjoyed reading how Elizabeth adapted to life in Montana after years of living a pampered life in England. This book is a good reminder of the dangers of gossip and judging others unfairly.
Leslie
May 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an book about a gal who fled England from an abusive guy who her father wanted her to marry. She came to Montana and faced acceptance and predjudice in finding her way in the new land. It was interesting to see how she handled situations that came to her.
Wanda
An inspirational story with charming characters for a relaxed and enjoyable easy read. The unique story has a a few twists that unfold into a predictable but happy ending. A story that just makes you feel good after reading it.
Ratforce
We think you might enjoy this historical romance about a rancher and his young daughter and the woman she’s been writing letters to. As inspirational fiction, it doesn't have any of the content you object to.
Holly
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really like Robin Lee Hatcher's style of writing. She doesn't draw things out longer than they need to be, she's pretty straight foward an to the point. This book was typical of that.
I really liked Dear Lady, it moved quickly along, the beginning middle and end were fast paced and interesting.
Beata
First in Coming to America series about a young British woman who comes to Montana to escape an arranged marriage. Sweet, romantic, easy and enjoyable Christian historical romance that just makes you feel good after reading it.
Jodi Deters
A good plot but a little too redundant for my taste, lots of repetition on thoughts etc.
Mackenzie
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book 1 of 4
Kristi Strenn
This book started out a little slow, but ended up being a real page turner...I couldn't put it down!
Nancy
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and may read the series if my local library has copies available. I am not a big fan of romance novels as I used to be, that's why I gave it 3 stars.
  • Beyond This Moment (Timber Ridge Reflections, #2)
  • Scattered Petals (Texas Dreams, #2)
  • Red Bird (Prairie Winds, #3)
  • Prairie Storm (A Town Called Hope, #3)
  • Breathe (The Homeward Trilogy, #1)
  • June (Brides of the West, #2)
  • The Husband Tree (Montana Marriages, #2)
  • Courting Miss Amsel (Heart of the Prairie #6)
  • Forevermore (Only in Gooding, #2)
  • All the Tea in China
  • Head in the Clouds
  • A Bride for a Bit
Robin Lee Hatcher discovered her vocation as a novelist after many years of reading everything she could put her hands on, including the backs of cereal boxes and ketchup bottles. Recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award from both American Christian Fiction Writers and Romance Writer of America and the winner of the Christy Award for Excellence in Christian Fiction, the RITA Award for Best Insp ...more
More about Robin Lee Hatcher...

Coming to America (4 books)
  • Patterns of Love (Coming to America, #2)
  • In His Arms (Coming to America #3)
  • Promised to Me (Coming to America #4)