Start by marking “Bloom” as Want to Read:
Bloom

Bloom

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  903 Ratings  ·  222 Reviews
A glass kingdom is no place for a Mud Fairy. Bloom and her mud fairy magic might be able to turn weeds into flowers and spin sand into glass, but the people of the kingdom ceaselessly complain about the trails of dirt and puddles of mud that seem to follow her every step, and finally they cast her out.

But when the glass castle begins to crack, then cracks some more, the Ki
Published February 9th 2016 by Atheneum/Caitlyn Dlouhy Books

To ask other readers questions about Bloom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bloom

Annie
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
No one is going to read this review because it's too long. But it's late, and this is important to me, so I don't care.

This is a good feminist picture book. I've always been really drawn to engaging stories that carry empowering messages for girls. I want girls to hear as early as possible that we value them for their intelligence, their strength, their courage, and all the other things that can get buried in a barrage of less positive messages.

But here's the thing: feminism isn't just for gir
Michael Fitzgerald
Feb 21, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: picture-books
What a load of crap. The Kool-Aid leaves a nasty aftertaste. If this book is trying to tell us to stop trying to be extraordinary and that the new world will belong to the ordinary, I guess it's an average, mediocre, run-of-the-mill example of how that works. I would rather see our children (both sons and daughters) strive to go beyond that. In a false dichotomy, we are being asked to give up a beautiful glass kingdom (revolutionary socialists will note the "It was held together by duct tape, gl ...more
Jessica
Mar 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, own
Utterly charming book new fairy tale about a kingdom made of glass, and the only fairy who can help them . . . the one fairy they want the least, since she is always loud, muddy, and wears huge boots! The pairing of Doreen Cronin's delightful words with David Small's beautiful art.
Danielle
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
"...there is no such thing as an ordinary girl."

First, this book is about a fairy. Then it becomes about an ordinary girl from a kingdom in disrepair. A girl who listens, who's curious, who's open to trying new things. The fairy doesn't save the kingdom. She teaches the ordinary girl how to do it. With mud.
Cheryl
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well I love it. And my inner child is a girl who was raised to be both strong and ladylike. I see the negative reviewers are mostly guys... maybe they just don't get it. The thing is, the author is right: there is no such thing as an ordinary girl. What these two did was provide stronger, yet still attractive, housing for the court, free the peasants, and teach them all some lessons in (un)common sense. I also found the art very appealing.

(This is my second read; it held up just fine to a reread
Angela
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fairy tale with a little bit of dirt, a little bit of wisdom and a big dose of girl power. Two talents have teamed up here to deliver a book that will be adored by young girls who are transitioning from the short form picture book to the longer form picture book.

Mash-up comp: Princess Hyacinth meets Do Princesses Wear Hiking Boots meets Cinderella
Carrie Gelson
Love David Small's illustrations.
Olivia Bunemann
Feb 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: elm-335
Genre: Fantasy
Grade Level: Kindergarten- 3rd
This book is a classic story about a kingdom in peril that needs a hero to save the day but it includes a wonderful twist. The main character Bloom, a tiny fairy, is incredibly helpful to the kingdom. She spins sand into glass, turn weeds into blossoms and grow a trickle of rainwater into a racing river. The people of the kingdom became less interested in the great work she was doing and more concerned about the heavy steps she took, the tiny cracks
Theresa Worona
out of this collection of diversity books, this one was not one of my favorite books. i thought the plot line was good but i did not think it was fair to the fairy to be left out of things in the kingdom because she was messy, i think that could have a negative connotation to a reader who can relate to the messy fairy and i think that the reader would not like this story. I also thought that while it was great that the fairy taught the other girl to save the kingdom, but i thought it was interes ...more
Kris
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
“Tell them there is no such thing as an ordinary girl.” A fairy tale where practicality and hard work are what save the kingdom. “I am here!” she announces, and then she rebuilds the world.
Morgan Bindas
I think every young girl should own this book. I wish I had when I was little, instead of reading it for the first time right now. It is perfect for girls who love princesses and castles. This book supports play, inside and outside. As we know today, play is needed for every child to learn. It shows the children that something can be done if it is needed and if they put their mind to it.
M. Lauritano
Mar 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I wanted to compose a quick review for this new David Small illustrated book as it really stuck out for me in more ways than one. The goodreads summary explains this contemporary fairytale pretty well. Cronin has gifted us with a cozy narrative about the magic of humility, self-reliance, and the wondrous things that can happen when we get our hands dirty. Many others have noted the loveable line, "there is no such thing as an ordinary girl." In addition to being a nicely phrased feminist message ...more
Lori
Sep 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Deligjtful. Small's illustrations never disappoint. A tad abrupt ending. A 3.5
Linda
Imaginative and fanciful about a fairy who leaves a kingdom after feeling unwanted. Bloom has “boots caked with mud. There was dirt between her teeth. Beetles rested in her wings.” It isn’t long before the kingdom begins falling apart, and the king and queen decide to send for Bloom, realizing she can help. They don’t understand Bloom’s approach to life, and dismiss her as disrespectful. Only until a young girl is sent do sparks fly and things get interesting. In my first reading with my six ye ...more
Diana
Apr 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute, quick story of a messy, muddy garden fairy with the power to create beautiful things. Fairy tales are always great, but I really enjoyed the twist of magic coming from mud and mess rather than sparkles and tiaras. Taking this tomboy idea further, the kingdom sends several people into the forest to find the secret of Bloom, the mud fairy's, magic, and only a young girl has the patience and curiosity to explore the fairy's messy magic. She learns to let loose, have fun being messy, and the ...more
Niki Marion
Sep 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
GIRL POWER to the max! David Small crafts incredible illustrations to accompany Cronin's empowering text. Small's interpretation of the glass city is rendered in insubstantial blue watercolors, which shows where the true fragility lies, not, as the royal court states, with Bloom, the muddy fairy that protects the kingdom with her magic until their ingratitude drives her away to live in the woods by herself. The glass kingdom, however, is falling apart, and it takes a small "ordinary" girl to do ...more
Ruth
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Okay, so if you are a girl, or have a girl child, you owe it to yourself to go get a copy of "Bloom" by Doreen Cronin and David Small. It's about a mud fairy and an ordinary girl who have to save the kingdom and it's wonderful and beautiful and even my son thought it was awesome. It's the heir to Paperbag Princess. You all really should get it.
I may have gotten a little teary at the end.
Maybe.
I also put it on my Christmas list so I can have my own copy.
Becky
Jul 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved that the "ordinary" girl, through a little bit of bravery, some perseverance, and a lot of hard work, is the one who saves the kingdom. The kingdom might not look exactly the same as it did, but it is sturdy and livable, unlike it was previously. I love this message because there are so many kids who won't be the Olympic athlete, the brain surgeon, or POTUS. These kids need to know that they to can achieve a great life!
Kascia
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Bloom is a wonderful picture book that follows a similar formula of old fairytales. One must look past the outside facade to see the extraordinary things that people are capable of doing, no matter how small, ordinary, or quiet that person is.
Ryan
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is muddy brilliant. But it’s hard to explain why without giving the story away. Lets just say its about an ordinary girl learning she is extraordinary. All from a little mud and fairy dust.
Kris
Unique illustrations, some of which are amazingly beautiful, but the story left me a little baffled.
Rachel
Nov 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Interesting theme, not quite sure it makes the point though, interesting use of font, illustrations are lovely
Carrie
Wonderful picture book about how a mud fairy and a girl servant save a kingdom. Bloom demonstrates how girls can accomplish great things--and need to get their hands dirty to do so. Great book!
Jenna Friebel
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"There is no such thing as an ordinary girl." <3
Anna
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mighty girls take note!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Oct 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Cybils nominee for fiction picture book. More later.
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book! And perhaps I just read the book differently from many of the other reviewers.

Let me explain. I too was a bit skeptical of the book at first. After all, I regularly tell my children (son and daughters) that first impressions *do* matter (whether we like it or not). I encourage them to look nice--not only for others, but MOSTLY because they will feel better about themselves.

So when I first started the book, I thought the book was simply anti-princess (which I am firmly in the cam
Lydia
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
An... unconventional fairy finally decides to leave the kingdom of glass that she helped create as she's tired of upsetting people with her mud. Years later, the kingdom is about to fall apart (literally!), so the king and queen decide to find the magic being that helped them so many years ago. Their meetings do not go well, so afraid they have scared away the magic being, they decide to send the least imposing, quietest servant girl in the castle and see if she has better luck.

Bloom is a wonde

Emily Peter
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
1) This book is a story about a kingdom in a magical land. At the beginning, Bloom works for the kingdom using her magic to keep the buildings together. Bloom is messy and loud though, which makes the village people angry , so eventually she leaves because no one treats her right. Years later, the kingdom is falling apart and the King and Queen set off to find Bloom so she can use her magic to fix the kingdom. Neither of them succeed in bringing Bloom back, so they decide to send an "ordinary" g ...more
Courtnie Sepe
Bloom is a magical story about believing in yourself and doing the impossible. What little girl would not love to get muddy and be happy. I adored the plot of the story. The author designed a unique story about this magic fairy who was able to do so much, and to see how others treated her and didn't believe in her was sad but similar to what many children experience everyday because they are different. The author gave hope when she had the young girl head to the woods and gave Bloom a chance and ...more
  • The Whisper
  • How to Read a Story
  • My Grandfather's Coat
  • If I Had a Gryphon
  • Nerdy Birdy
Doreen Cronin was a practicing attorney in Manhattan when her first book Click, Clack Moo: Cows That Type became a publishing success. But her book was not published overnight, in fact, she had written this barnyard tale even before attending law school but only received rejection letters from publishers. Five years after submitting the original manuscript she got a call from a publisher who want ...more
“They will never believe that an ordinary girl could do such an extraordinary thing," Genevieve worried. "What would I tell them?"
"Tell them there is no such thing as an ordinary girl," said Bloom.”
0 likes