Start by marking “No, No, Gnome!” as Want to Read:
No, No, Gnome!

No, No, Gnome!

Gnome cannot wait to help his friends harvest the school garden! But his eagerness and excitement get him into trouble, leaving them all saying, “No, no, Gnome!”
Published February 9th 2016 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about No, No, Gnome!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No, No, Gnome!

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Mar 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Yes, yes, this book is fun!
Mendell
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-aloud
The book I presented to the class No, No, Gnome! It's an adorable little picture book about a Gnome who attends Green thumb Elementary. The students of the school have been working hard on a garden in preparation for the harvest. Gnome, eager to help just can't seem to do anything right. Ruining their hard work, the other student didn't want anything to do with Gnome. As I mentioned in my presentation I believe this is a great book to begin teaching the concept of group work with students. It's ...more
Ame
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
So the gnome likes to play in the school garden, and he screws up a lot to the frustration of his classmates and teacher, but it's cool because he fixes the garden again. The end! It's a cute book, but man, what a weird class - it consists of 2 rabbit people, a smattering of children, and this bearded gnome. Put me in that class!
Juliana Lee
Gnome wants to help in the school garden, but he's more trouble than not. Before the day is out he has completely ruined the garden. No one will talk to him. That night Gnome knows he must make things right again for his friends.
Courtney Huskisson
Apr 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
We all know gnomes are mischievous, and this one is not exception! Love the chaos this gnome causes! Anstee was also the author of "Are we there, Yeti" and though that one was fun, I love this one so much more!
Liza Nahas
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Sweet & simple friendship story with fun illustrations. Loved the school garden theme, too.
Kelly
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Illustrations were very bright and colorful. The characters threw me at first, but complimented the story nicely
Chrystal
Jul 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
My daughter, Spencer, received this book as a welcome to the world gift from the lovely team at Simon & Schuster when she was born at the end of June. She is finally getting into books, paying attention to the pages and looking at the colours and drawings while listening to me reading the story out loud to her.

She loves the bright pictures in No, No, Gnome! so much! And giggles as I read the story with fun expressions. I also talk about what we see on the pages, especially the ones without
Melissa
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We discovered this book through Emily Arrow's wonderful "Storytime Singalong" album - and you can check out the video of her No, No, Gnome! song here: https://youtu.be/KtxVrZgNJKU

Gnome is too excited for the big harvest! But when he tries to help his classmates tend the garden, everything he tries turns into a disaster. With a little help from his wild animal friends, they put it all right again lickety-split! We found the illustrations especially fun and charming, and looking for the animal fri
Drew Graham
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
The class has been working on their garden all year long, but will all their effort be for naught when their rascally gnome classmate runs wild?

This is a cute and odd little book (I don't really get why half the class comprises humanoid bunnies, but I was willing to go along with it) with fun illustrations and a pretty good message. As a point of interest, we used this as one of our early attempt potty training selections, so that's an interesting association...
Viviane Elbee
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book was an amusing and quick read, perfect for short story times.

It could be used with a gardening theme story time.

The story is fictional and not realistic, but if you are using this to discuss gardening with children, you may want to point out to kids that it isn’t always possible to “fix” a garden in a day if it has suffered damage.
Non
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful story and illustration.

Just as delightful as the author, who was a guest on Joy Sandwich! >> https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/e...
Vivian
Jul 29, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Where was this book last year when I needed it for my GNOMES story time?
It is quite fun. This little garden gnome wants to help with the class garden but tends to get carried away in his enthusiasm. Disaster ensues. Can he repair the damages (both physical and emotional)? YES!
The Library Lady
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Cute enough. I assume that Gnome is kind of like Hoban's Frances, or Marc Brown's Arthur, a child like character who doesn't look like a child so that any child can empathize with him. But what's with the bunny kids? They confuse me. Especially since rabbits don't tend to be helpful gardeners!
Donna Mork
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story showing the difference between being helpful and not so helpful.
Stacy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Age appropriate for 4 and up for length. Great story with predictable and fun elements
Angie Quantrell
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great gardening themed book. Love how Gnome gets in trouble from exuberance! But then he has to fix his mistakes.
Kathryn Bergeron
The class goes to harvest their garden, but gnome seems to ruin everything that he touches. Eventually he's sent inside. When the rest of the class comes in, they are mad at him. What will he do?
Starbubbles
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
This was so adorable!!! gnome was the best! At making a mess! haha! He became such a good garden gnome though. haha
Emma
May 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Very cute illustrations. But kinda doesn't make any sense. Why is there just one gnome in the classroom? And why are there some children and some rabbit-children hybrids? They're all adorable, mind, you, but I was very confused. And I think as a child, I would be wondering what the heck was going on. Also, Gnome is misbehaving, but I don't really get why? Are gnomes just naturally rambunctious? Very, very cute and engaging illustrations, but I have a lot of questions.
Rebecca
Jo Oehrlein
Feb 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gnome has trouble being good for more than a few minutes in the classroom garden. This ends with punishment for him, frustration on the part of his fellow students and the teacher, and sadness because harvest has to be cancelled.

Gnome works hard to show his classmates he's sorry by fixing up everything.

The students and teacher are happy, but Gnome still has trouble behaving.
Kristen
Feb 26, 2018 rated it liked it
You can always turn yourself around and reset. There is always a chance to start over fresh. Everyone has good inside of them! Read this book for those reminders.
Cecilia
Jul 18, 2018 rated it liked it
A good book that shows responsibility for bad behavior. Gnome tears up the class garden, realizes his actions made everyone sad, and then spent a lot of hard work fixing his mess!
kim
well, GNOMES! on the flip side, it's very eh, in that the gnome misbehaves without explanation, and is shunned without explanation
Amy
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars Used with Emily Arrow’s video. Great discussion w Kindergarten friends on what Gnome could do to apologize for the mess he made of their garden.
Beth
Reminds me of Rex Wrecks It by Ben Clanton but with a Gnome instead of a dinosaur.
Venus
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Review originally posted on Children's Atheneum

Gnome is so excited to help his friend in the school garden. The only problem is, Gnome isn't very helpful. It's hard to stay mad at him though, especially when Gnome tries to do everything he can to make it right.

I like a good planting book, but the idea that a gnome with a full beard going to school was a bit confusing. Then again, there are a few bunnies in his class. So maybe gnomes in this fantasy world are born with full-grown beards. That sai
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Anstee, Ashlyn No, No, Gnome! PICTURE BOOK. Simon & Schuster, 2016. $18. Content: G.

Gnome is very enthusiastic, but he is not always helpful. When it is almost harvesting time, Gnome’s antics are a problem and he almost ruins everything, After everyone gives him the cold shoulder, he realizes he is going to have to work hard to make it up to everyone.
Gnome is so adorable, it was hard for me to stay mad at him. With some heavy handed guidance even small children can understand that randomly
Silence
Audience: Preschool / Grade School
Illustrations: To die for!
Plot / Review: Gnome means well, but he's making a mess of the garden. When he upsets the rest of the class he quickly learns that sometimes you have to slow down a bit to do things right. This book is super cute and great for showing children that if you take your time and do it right, you can really make a difference. Plus, gnomes are rad.
Read Aloud: Yes

• Who Wants a Tortoise?
  • Good Night, Baddies
  • Row, Row, Row Your Boat
  • I Am a Story
  • A Tiger Tail: (Or What Happened to Anya on Her First Day of School)
  • Just Say Boo!