Start by marking “Daughters of Ruin” as Want to Read:
Daughters of Ruin

Daughters of Ruin

Meet rumor with quiet, treason with cunning, and vicious with vicious.

Rhea, Cadis, Suki, and Iren have lived together since they were children. They are called sisters. They are not. They are called equals. They are not. They are princesses. And they are enemies.

A brutal war ravaged their kingdoms, and Rhea’s father was the victor. As a gesture of peace, King Declan brough
Published April 5th 2016 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Daughters of Ruin, please sign up.
Awkward.Book.Girl (Stephanie) Charlie Bowater! She does a lot of art for Sarah J Maas' books. And she is amazing.

Here's an exerpt of the book: http://www.simonandschuster.com/book…more

Here's an exerpt of the book: http://www.simonandschuster.com/books...(less)
Clarisa There is no swearing or sex but there are references to sex.

Start your review of Daughters of Ruin
Vicki Lee
Aug 03, 2016 rated it did not like it
Let's pretend you have a 12-year old nephew. You visit your nephew occasionally, see him during the holidays, play with him during the Fourth of July barbecue, buy him something off of his wishlist made by his parents for Christmas.

Okay, so when he was growing up, he was a decent snot-nosed, endearing whiner. You used to tease him, play tricks on him, and laugh when he grew flustered. He liked to show you his collection of shovels and dump trucks and you would pretend to be utterly fascinated -
Steph Sinclair
Hello, gorgeous cover. Be mine.
Cori Reed
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was ok

I liked...the cover.

I (hated (the amount (of (bloody (parenthesis (please (dear (lord (stop)))))))))

And that's my review.
Justine
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-read

She knew now they would never truly be sisters, the way her father wanted. They would never reign together and usher in a generation of peace among the four empires. His great dream of a Pax Regina--Peace of the Queens--would be a disappointment he would have to endure. And she would be to blame for it.

Rhea's father, King Declan, instituted the Pax Regina at the end of a great War. He forced the surrounding nations to give their daughter heirs over to him as children to be raised along
Jaime (Two Chicks on Books)
Jul 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really loved this book and probably would have given it 5 stars but there were a couple things that bugged the crap out of me hence the 4 star rating.

Let's start by saying I freaking hate this cover! Hate it with a passion! If it weren't for the awesome synopsis I probably wouldn't have read this book. The story is about 4 girls and has 4 POV's I really think they should have all had representation on the cover.

Ok now what I loved! I loved 3 of the POV's Rhea, Cadis, and especially Iren's! I l
Amanda
DNF @ 26%. Don't like the characters, not engaged with the story and the parenthesis. My god the parenthesis. Stop. Just stop.
Beth
After winning a brutal war, Kin Declan takes three “queen heirs” of the rival kingdoms as adoptive daughters to keep the piece. He raised them with his own daughter making him a father of 4 queens in training. Training for war, training for battle and training to rule under King Declan’s hand.

Murmurs of unrest, rumors of a rebellion and political machinations all set in motion a plan that will rock all the kingdoms to their core.

The story is written from each of the future queen’s perspectives w
Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
Read about 110 pages and gave up. aka a prologue and four chapters.

This sounds really cool, but once you dig in, you realize the premise makes absolutely no sense, is generally a recipe for disaster so obvious that you wonder how anyone ever thought it was a good idea, and creates a forced conflict where a perfectly organic one should be.

So after a big war, the king of the winning kingdom takes the crown princesses of the other three kingdoms (Iren, Cadis, and Suki) into his home to raise as his
Kara-karina
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
2.5/5
I really did not like the format of this book, perhaps it didn't work for me particularly but it would for you? Hear me out.

The idea for the plot is great. Four future queens training together in order to bond into Pax Regina, so when they go back to rule their kingdoms they will feel about each other as sisters and won't start another war. The reality is something different.

We get a glimpse of training in their early years, and then suddenly transported into the present times. All the girl
Diversireads
Jun 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
daughters-of-ruin-9781481436656_hrTitle: Daughters of Ruin
Author: K.D. Castner
Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Action
Rating: ★☆☆☆☆ || 1.0

This is a long one, guys.

I came across this book a few months ago and it looked so good and the premise was so promising that I was instantly intrigued by its intrigue. Four heirs to four crowns in four warring kingdoms are brought together to live in the victor’s castle to be raised as sisters, forming a Pax Regina––a peace of Queens––in order to avoid further war. They were meant to be f
ReadWriteLove28
Nov 08, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: rev-on-amazon
From the moment that I read the synopsis of DAUGHTERS OF RUIN, I knew that I absolutely HAD to read it! It sounded like everything I wanted in a book- Princesses? Enemy kingdoms? Sign me up please! I was lucky enough to snag a copy at ALAMW16, and I was freaking out because I was oh so looking forward to it. Unfortunately, it didn’t live up to my expectations...at all.

POVs

By now I’m sure that most of you know that I’m iffy about multiple POV’s. Sometimes they are great- other times, not so much.
Anna (Enchanted by YA)
***I received the ARC ebook from the publisher Margaret K. McElderry Books through Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review***

A rich tale of betrayal and courtly relationships between four Queens from warring countries, brought together to be raised as sisters, in order to secure peace under King Declan’s thumb. Told from four points of view all the girls had such unique voices (granted Suki’s drove me up the wall! There were too many brackets by which I mean 9 at once which is 9 too many); fr
Take Me Away To A Great Read
Daughters of Ruin by K.D. Castner
Margaret K. McElderry Books
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Rating: 2 Stars

I would like to thank the publisher for providing me with an advance copy of Daughters of Ruin for an honest review.

Daughters of Ruin was one of most anticipated reads of 2016 and the synopsis when I read it made me so excited for this book. I have to be honest the book for me did not live up to my expectations. The prologue is over 20 pages and honestly could be summed up in 4 to 5 pages. It wa
Madeline (The Bookish Mutant)
May 18, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, nope, dnf
DNF at p. 132. Ugh.
Why is it that some books with pretty covers end up having terrible stories? Such a strange world we live in...
I didn’t like a lot of things about this book. The story seemed halfway decent, but ended up being about 50% ballroom parties, 40% fighting in arenas, and 10% over-the-top battle and destruction. Also, the characters were terrible. 3/4 of them were basically different variants of Katniss Everdeen (Troubled Princess Katniss Everdeen, I-Fight-Because-It’s-Fun-And-Not-Be
Amy
May 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
Well...that was unexpected.
Daughters of Ruin puzzles me. I just finished it and probably should wait to write a review until I have processed it more, but I don't think I have the care factor at work. I'll never get around to writing a review if I don't do it now. As time passes, though, I think I will remember only that I enjoyed this book. It was different. Dark. Unique. But not...quite...enough.

Plot
In an attempt to bring peace to four warring countries, the victor, King Declan, decides to r
Ocean Weeks
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved everything about this book, except for Suki's personality.
Liza
Got about 200 pages in before I decided that DNFing was for the best.

What is with books with pretty covers having crap stories?

This is a short novel for crying out loud and the amount of eye-rolling was off the charts.

The book had an interesting premise. Four princesses raised together, three being "hostages". It could have worked so well but it fell so flat. Also didn't help that two out of the four POVs were grating characters and a third suffered from weird formatting in her section. With a b
Lexie
Jan 02, 2016 marked it as dnf
Shelves: orroadtrip
DNF - I'm not sure where to begin. The opening prologue is kind of confusing and narratively a mess to read. I sort of liked Cadis and Iren at first, but ugh Suki.

I understand what the author was trying to achieve (Suki is basically emotionally and mentally unhinged), but her POV chapters were too long. You'd go from Iren, who made some very intriguing and intelligent observations to Cadis, who seemed the most hopeful of the bunch, to Rhea who was too afraid to be much use and then Suki who spok
Kate
Jan 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
Oh how much fun it is to write a negative review.

1. This book was boring. I was about 2/3 of the way through the book before I cared two pins for anyone.
2. Sure, the writing styles were distinct among the different perspective, but Suki's style was OBNOXIOUS! I couldn't stand her at all.
3. Everyone was childish. (especially Suki)
4. No one was three dimensional.
5. The ending sucked.
6. I'm almost sorry that I stuck with it as long as I did. I had such high hopes.
Reading Teen
Jul 27, 2015 marked it as to-read
I'm sorry, did you say Graceling? Because yes.
Lauren
Feb 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I actually liked this book and am surprised by its average rating. I'd say I'm at like a 3.8 rating.

It's a whole unique world that the author has to build, and it reminds me of a Westeros/ ancient world mixture. Four future queens from each of the four major empires are brought at a young age and trained with the king of the kingdom of Meridan to attempt to keep the peace between them.

As the girls age and train together, they each grow powerful and tough; some of them are also hiding secrets. W
The Candid Cover (Olivia & Lori)
DNF

This book grabbed my attention at first and then went downhill from there. I just started to really have a hard time relating to the characters and the concept was one that I could not grasp. Not my cup of tea.
Athaleid
Mar 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Picked it up because it was free on Riveted without checking any reviews.

Although it was occasionally difficult to understand because the text seemed to flow all over the place, it was entertaining enough for a quick read. Some of the girls were infuriatingly childish and petty in their behaviour, but then I reminded myself that they were supposed to be 15-17 years old (and in one case mentally unstable) and that put it in a better perspective. Which is why I, naturally, loved Iren, as I always
Amanda Mantonya
Aug 20, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-the-book
chloe
2 stars,

i'm being completely honest when i say i chose this book only because the magnificent Charlie Bowater illustrated the cover. this book had lots of potential and the plot sounded good enough but a lot of the time i didn't know what was going on and i was reading about stuff i didn't even know about. Lot's of imformation dumps and i only really liked one charactee, Rhea.

Suki's chapters annoyed me a lot because of the way she whined about everything and also the way it was written with a m
Mavis Ros
Jun 11, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s not that bad. It’s just terrible pacing.
Jenn : Godzilla is King
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-books-read
This book blew my mind, I read it so quickly. It was written in a way that you just need to know what happens and the ending wasn’t what I was expecting. I will read this book again.
Melissa
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Fast-paced, addicting, and unpredictable.

King Declan has managed to keep peace in the kingdom after winning a brutal war by installing the Pax Regina (Queens peace). He takes in the three heir apparents from the warring lands, all daughters, as wards and raises them alongside his own daughter. The four little Queens are raised to believe they will return to their families to rule when they come of age and have spent their lives training for battle and participating in spectacles for the public,
Vivien
Jul 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: reviewed, dnf
This book was BAD, REALLY BAD. If you want to see how BAD this book is... Blog Review

So, I read about 56% of this book on RivetedLit. I was either going to read this, or The Scorpion Rules. I made the worst mistake by reading this first/reading it. I DNF this book with pure joy.

What's wrong with this book?

For starters, the writing is horrendous and whoever proofread/edited this book should be fired. The writing is monotonous and lacked a lot of important elements. Not a lot on appearance, I don'
Alicia
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Four girls, princesses from enemy kingdoms, came together after Rhea’s father vowed to protect them all after his victory. They were raised together, trained together, and fought like sisters together, but now that the kingdom has been attacked the girls will have to decide whether they’re truly enemies.
With a fast-paced opening, the rich world-building that Castner unravels in this fantasy novel will have followers who root for the girls. All four narrate, moving the book quickly through the b
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Jul 19, 2015 10:51AM

• Burning Glass (Burning Glass, #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Lady Thief (Scarlet, #2)
  • The Impossibility of Us
  • Scarlet (Scarlet, #1)
  • Both of Me
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Losing Brave
  • The Dark Tide
  • Broken
  • The Kinder Poison (The Kinder Poison, #1)
  • Big Fat Disaster
  • Damaged Goods (Ravenswood, #1.5)
  • One More Hug (W.I.T.C.H., #54)
  • Truly, Madly, Deadly
  • Salt & Storm (Salt & Storm, #1)
  • Cursed: A New Fear / House of Whispers / Forbidden Secrets
  • L'Occhio Del Libro (W.I.T.C.H., #52)
K.D. Castner was once a farmer, once in love, and three times almost died in water. K.D. makes blackberry cider and dotes on a passel of grandkittens. A US citizen, she makes her home in Aberystwyth, Wales. Daughters of Ruin is her first novel.

News & Interviews

“The last condescended from Academy spires Pretended at life with a cold, dead heart Face like a crypt, from a family of liars Quietly, quietly played . . . her . . . part. —Children’s nursery rhyme” 1 likes