Start by marking “Escaping Perfect (Escaping Perfect, #1)” as Want to Read:
Escaping Perfect (Escaping Perfect, #1)

Escaping Perfect

(Escaping Perfect #1)

Cecilia Montgomery has been America’s sweetheart since the day she was born. A member of the prestigious Montgomery family—the US equivalent of royalty—her childhood was cut short after she was nearly kidnapped. Since then, Cecilia has been hidden away, her adolescence spent at an exclusive boarding school.

Her dreams of becoming a professional violinist—dashed.

Her desire t
Published March 29th 2016 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Escaping Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Escaping Perfect

Paige (Illegal in 3 Countries)
I could only stand 66 pages. Wow. It's been a while since I tried to read something so laughably terrible! The writing is awful and it's going for every possible cliche what with Lia meeting her love interest when he's chased out of someone else's home for trying to get it on with the resident's girlfriend.

I also got a new pin for my Description Wall of Shame board on Pinterest:

"My skin color was all my own, somewhere between his dark chocolate and her milky white." (ARC, p. 6)

Meanwhile, this gi
Les
May 31, 2016 rated it did not like it
SPOILERS BELOW

What absolute total horseshit (pardon my French). There are very few stories I've read that I want to sling across the room but this one makes the list. The mother is an overblown harpy who makes Cruella Deville look like Mother Theresa in comparison and can somehow circumvent the law at a whim because she's just so powerful and awsome that the whole government caters to her every whim.

Dad is supposedly a powerful attorney who cowers like a wimp at his wife's every command. The her
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
Pages read: 66

Tbh, I was kind of enjoying Escaping Perfect, but I made the mistake of spoiling myself on the ending by reading reviews. I know now that it won't turn out well. Plus, I hate the love interest, and the MC just ordered two beers from a bar without specifying a type of beer. Um.
Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)
Marked as DNF 3/29/16: After reading more reviews, I decided not to continue on with this book. I requested it for review specifically because of the Gone Girl comparison and that's really not what this book is. It's definitely more contemporary and really is not up my alley of books that I'm looking to read at the moment. Chances are, I just won't come back to this.

1/5/16:The Gone Girl comparison seems a bit misleading. This seems much more contemporary which is throwing me right now... I thin
Prerana
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-cringe
Oh, reviewing this is going to be fun. Reading the book wasn't fun, but reviewing it definitely will be.

I have to give a shout-out to Riveted for letting me access this book for free. That is the only reason why I hit this up. The synopsis did not sound too bad, and the book was free. So naturally, I picked up this book.

I could not stop laughing.

Let me tell you a short story.

I had a free hour today, so I was reading it while my friends were sitting next to me. I started laughing, and one of my f
Kelly Hager
This book should not have been compared to Gone Girl. But that bit of false advertising aside, this was exactly what I wanted. It's a sweet, fun novel that is made me smile on basically every page.

Cecilia (or Lia, as she christens herself) is absolutely fantastic and I wanted to give her about 37 high fives over the course of the novel. The way that she goes from being completely sheltered (imagine never being able to do anything by yourself, EVER) to being able to stay hidden in a tiny town and
Madi Artzt
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm going to honestly say I enjoyed the hell out of this book. It was a fast paced read that got me itching for more and turning the pages faster than I could breath. I'm not going to say it's a literary masterpiece, like it has it flaws, but overall I really really enjoyed this book
Shivani
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Shivani by: 54
Since I’ve been very into contemporary and romance lately, I decided I wanted to read this book. The plot sounded intriguing, and I really wish I could have loved it more. I might have had great expectations, but there were some things that I really didn’t love about this book. The main character Cecilia, over the course of the book, has so many talents or things she’s good at, and she comes off as a character who is God-like. It’s as if she didn’t have any flaws. Maybe if she hadn’t been so per ...more
Read InAGarden
Sep 22, 2015 rated it did not like it
This book upset me to no end. First it almost killed my Kindle. Second I *think* the way it ends is terrible. The book was an OK story. Predictable but acceptable then at the point when my Kindle said it was 100% complete it froze. Maybe the story was finished, maybe it wasn't. It took me a lot of time to recover my Kindle back to it's rightful state and I'm not sure it's totally back. Then I'm also not sure if the story ended the way I think it ended. The way it ended on my Kindle totally color ...more
Whitley
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a good cheesy novel. And holy cliff hanger. You know those cheap romance novels with the half naked men and women on the cover like "the lords secret" or something like that? This is the YA version of that. But it was a good light read.
Kasey
Sep 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
this was horrible-i hated most of the characters, the writing was poor, and the storyline was weak. waste of time.
May 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Danielle
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jeninne
Sep 10, 2017 rated it liked it
I seem to be the only person who didn't think this book was trash?

I mean, was it good? No.

But I also bought the book off bookoutlet, and it was cheap. And I finished the book without having to throw it across the room.

It's no masterpiece, that's for sure. It's illogical, and frustrating at times, and kind of stupid. But it was easy to read, mildly entertaining, and I already own the sequel, so I guess I just have to roll with this thing.

Still, I get where the hate for this book is coming from.
John Clark
Nov 07, 2017 rated it liked it
A fast read that pulled me in quickly, but I have two quibbles. First, if Ceila's eighteen, how can she be grabbed so quickly by the FBI at the end. Isn't she legally an adult who should be listened to when 'rescued'? that leads to my second issue-the abrupt ending. I understand cliffhangers that set up sequels, but this was too abrupt. Even so, I'm buying the second book to find out what happens.
Kandes
May 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved this book! Such a good start to my summer reading! it had all the elements I love reading about during this time of year. It wasn't too complicated that if I had to wait a few days between reading it, I wasn't totally thrown off, but it had enough suspense to keep me turning the pages. It was just an awesome read and I want to recommend it to anyone who is looking for an easy beach read.
Helen White
Cecilia runs away from home after her grandmother's death and finds herself living in a small town, romancing a country singer and working in a diner. Not bad but how long before her parents find her.
Brenda
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes one needs to read something light and fun. It may not be the best writing, doesn't have a deep plot or sets out to save mankind. But it's a fun easy read!
Lynda
May 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good read but it really leaves you hanging at the end, I'm hoping there is a follow up.
Rachel
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
While the storyline was decent, the editor really dropped the ball on this one.
Lucy
May 29, 2017 rated it liked it
2h25m
i need to read the next one!!!
ah i don't care about how believable it is or plot flaws i just like to enjoy a good cheesy book
Tiffany Shearer
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This ending... I need the second book!!!
Ren
Jan 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
2.5 it started off great; the plot was captivating, characters lovable, but the end ruined it. She did nothing to try and save herself, only pretended nothing was happening until she lost everything
Maryam Dinzly
Jun 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
PSA: Firstly, this book is NOT a standalone, and from what I've read in the reviews, this book has NO similarities to Gone Girl, whatsoever.

Honestly, I started this book on a good note. It seemed like a really good contemporary novel to me. I started at it around 10pm, and finished it within 2 hours in one sitting. Which would have been a pretty great achievement, if not for the fact that this book is frustrating. LIKE, SUPER FRUSTRATING and I honestly wanted it to be over and done as soon as po
Nicole
Sep 05, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a light read, this is pretty enjoyable. The comparison to Gone Girl lead me to expect something darker and more twisty, but I liked the concept - girl runs from controlling mother and finds the life she wants to live in a small town in Tennesee. I liked Cecilia/Lia as a narrative voice, and I was excited for her to get a little experience and fun. The town seemed awfully diverse and exciting for a small town, but I was willing to let that slide. I even liked the unrealistic but charming roma ...more
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-recommended
Harrison, Emma Escaping Perfect, 327 pgs. Simon Pulse, 2016. $17.99 Content: Language: PG-13 (44 swears); Mature Content: PG-13; Violence: PG.

Cecilia lives a very controlled life since she was almost kidnapped as a child. Her mother is a high-profile senator and she doesn’t let Cecilia make a decision for herself. When Cecilia’s favorite person, her grandmother Gigi, dies, Cecilia decides to make a break from her mother and runs away. Cecilia becomes Lia and gets a job and falls in love, but wi
Diane Ferbrache
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Cecelia Montgomery is the daughter of a powerful Senator and businessman. Because of an abduction scare when she was 6, Cecelia has be protected and guarded and basically smothered the last 12 years. Until one night when the opportunity arises and Cecelia escapes, creating a new life as Lia in a small town far away from DC. She makes new friends, gets a job, a boyfriend, and creates a new life for herself.

This is a fun teen romance with all the typical spats and love triangles and all the lies h
Riri
Jul 07, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
This book had a very good start. I had a feeling that there was much more to the main character and I loved that. My favorite part of reading a book is seeing the development of the protagonist. However, I was disappointed. What seemed like a strong, well grounded character turned out to be a winy and selfish, immature girl. The ending happened way to fast. The writing style, I feel, became sloppier, and when I finished the book, it seemed to me like there wasn't a point to the story at all. Mos ...more
Briar Rose
Apr 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2016, ya
Gone Girl meets the TV Show Nashville

Ummm did we read the same book? I felt absolutely no element or feel of Gone Girl. As for meets the TV show Nashville, the story takes place in Tennessee and there is music involved. I think this comparison is reaching desperately to grab a certain crowd and totally misses the mark.

The plot sounded good to me: sheltered daughter of a Senator runs away and tries to start a new life in hiding.

Ok. You have my attention.

I was quickly lost in a poorly written sto
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Bloom for Yourself
  • Young Widows Club
  • Autofocus
  • Perry's Killer Playlist (Perry & Gobi, #2)
  • Outward Blonde
  • A Season for Fireflies
  • Untitled (Flirting in Italian, #3)
  • The Seventh Level
  • A Walk in the Sun
  • Girls of July
  • Jack of Hearts
  • Whiteout (Hunted, #3)
  • Smash & Grab
  • Eleven Things I Promised
  • Goddess Rising (Complicated Creatures #0.5)
  • Happily and Madly
  • The Fix
  • Under the Dusty Moon
Emma Harrison is a pseudonym of Kieran Scott.

Escaping Perfect (2 books)
  • Finding What's Real (Escaping Perfect #2)