Start by marking “This Little President: A Presidential Primer” as Want to Read:
This Little President: A Presidential Primer

This Little President: A Presidential Primer

Learn all about the US presidents with this fun and colorful board book perfect for leaders-in-training!

Leading our country.
Helping you and me.
Keeping all fifty states
safe, happy, and free.

Little presidents have a great big job.

Now even the youngest patriots can learn about America’s presidential history with this bright and playful board book. Highlighting ten of the
Board Book, 26 pages
Published January 12th 2016 by Little Simon

To ask other readers questions about This Little President, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Little President

Barbara Ann
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This board book is the perfect size for toddlers and preschoolers. Written in rhyme, it highlights ten of the most popular US presidents and presents one significant fact about each of them. I particularly enjoyed the ending which depicts all forty-for presidents, ending with a question mark and Maybe, you'll be president one day.

The illustrations are large, colorful, simple and appropriate for the targeted age group. Highly recommended as a way to introduces two to four year old children to the
Bronwyn
(Read this previously but didn’t add it. Read it again today.) Cute enough. Of course it can’t touch on all the presidents but I do wish it had.
Dena (Batch of Books)
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: board-books
Baby's first introduction to American history begins right here! Maybe it's silly to get so excited about a board book, but I love this new generation of books for babies. There are retellings of ancient myths, explorations of new places, learning concepts through classic literature, and now this mini primer on American presidents.
I'm not going to lie, I probably learned more from this than I should admit to in writing. I'd never heard of Ulysses S. Grant before and I only recently learned that
zapkode
{My Thoughts} – This is a wonderfully written and illustrated book about some of the more popular United States Presidents. I enjoyed how it was written in a poem like form and had extra information telling about each president. Children in pre-school and kindergarten aren’t always aware of politics. They don’t usually know who the president is or how important the past presidents were in helping to shape our country.

This book is a great introduction for them to learn some of the presidents. It
Oh My Bookness
Jan 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT-A PRESIDENTIAL PRIMER by author Joan Holub and illustrations by Daniel Roode is a board book, about different presidents from over the centuries even up to our most recent president, Barack Obama. It’s a introductory to United States history with giving little bits about former presidents like Adam, Nixon, Washington, Jefferson, and more. The book is a great introduction to America’s Presidential history. The book goes over ten presidents and how they helped make a change a ...more
C.L. Murphy
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A sturdy board book that teaches young children about ten of perhaps the most memorable presidents in America’s history. Told in brief catchy rhyme that young ones won’t find tedious and illustrated with bright eye-catching graphics. One fact about each president is included. A very timely release for the upcoming presidential election. The words,“Anything can happen in the USA. Hey! Maybe you’ll be president someday!” with all forty-four presidents are depicted on the last double-page spread.
W. Whalin
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
it's unusual to see board book teaching presidential politics. Normally these types of books are about colors or numbers or animal--something simple--not presidential politics. I like how the book teaches even the youngest child that our country has a leader, a president.

It is simple and well-done. The colors and words are fun to read. Early on it implants the idea in the small child that anyone can be president of the United States--even them. I recommend this little board book.
Lisa
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
In this election year, what better time than now to teach the little ones about the presidents of the United States. This charming board book features a short poem and a tidbit of information about 10 of the most popular presidents, and a spread of all 44 at the end - in case someone wants to memorize!

The whimsical illustrations are adorable, and the rhymes are cute. What a sweet share.
Linda
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Joan Holub's board book, "This Little President:A Presidential Primer, is a fun read. It is a rhyming book that highlights significant accomplishments of 10 presidents. It ends with caricatures of all the presidents in order, and proposes the question, will you become president some day? A fun book to share with a child!
Jocelin
Mar 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to the Presidents of the United States. Although, the book features the most prominent Presidents it's still a fun read. This would be a huge book if it featured each of the Presidents. I don't think little ones would be interested in all of these factoids at such a young age. The book does contain a chart of all the Presidents in the very back.
Diann
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the cutest book about Presidents that I have ever seen.
I can't imagine any child not being entertained by this amazing book.
I even learned a few new facts.
The pictures inside are adorable and grab your attention.
I would recommend this book for all young children.
Amy Rhilinger
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
When you have a son that shares a birthday with Abe Lincoln, you love all things presidential, but this book has a special place in my heart. Interesting facts, adorable illustrations and a lots of enthusiasm for the Oval Office!
Samantha
Jan 30, 2016 rated it liked it
A rhyming introduction to a few of America's most notable presidents.

Digital artwork. Includes a table of the presidents in order with an encouragement to the reader to dream big and imagine themselves as the next President of the United States of America!

Knitcookwrite
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Fun book touching on some of unique presidents. Great release for this presidential election year.
Jillian Heise
Cute board book for the youngest readers introducing some of the most well-known US Presidents.
Courtney Umlauf
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a nearly perfect introduction to presidential history for toddlers and preschoolers. It recounts a bit of the history of ten of our most popular presidents, complete with rhyme and wonderful, bright illustrations. My only complaint is a small one. The left-hand pages follow the rhyme scheme, the right hand pages have an additional factual tidbit about the president, but in prose form, which felt disjointed to me. I wish the rhyming would have been consistent throughout all of the text.
M.M. Hudson
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Since it is an election year here in the U.S. this book is timely. The book opens with highlighting our first President and ends with our current. Each page tells about the President in rhyme and then a small tidbit about him. The author is a master of her small rhymes for children. Even though the rhymes are small, they are also informative.

This adorable book is just right for the little hands to hold as it is smaller and is a hardback board book. The illustrations are colorful and come to life
Amber
Jun 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars. A super cute little book that introduces young readers to 10 of our nation's presidents. Adorable illustration and simple text with a quick fact about each president makes this a neat read for the whole family. Although... does anyone else think that Adams looks like Ben Franklin without the glasses?
Amy Lafleur Meyers
Fun to read and look at collection of the presidents spotlighting through rhyming verse the accomplishments and interests of presidents Washington, Adams, Jefferson, Lincoln, Grant, Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Kennedy, Reagan, and Obama. Can you guess to whom this line refers, "This little president was super-duper smart. He liked buildings, inventions, books, fossils, and art." I thought it was it a cute touch to have a two-page gallery of miniature portraits of presidents with question mark after Ob ...more
Debra
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: board-books
A little board book with a lot of red, white and blue information about ten of our more famous presidents. Done in a rhyming mode it gives short bits of information to little patriots. I enjoyed the way extra information was inserted into the illustrations such as Jefferson with his microscope, Kennedy with the golfing and astronaut caddy, and Reagan holding a jar of jelly beans. It would also be a quick read to add to lower level elementary students to see if they could name some fact they mig ...more
Brooke Dunstan
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This nonfiction book is very informative. It tells you what a president does and it also gives small descriptions of of some of the presidents and what they have accomplished. The book has a rhyming scheme. At the end of the book it has illustrations and names of all presidents up to Obama. It says "Anything can happen in the U.S.A. Hey! Maybe you'll be president someday". I think that's inspiring to young children because it tells them that they can be anything that they want to be. I love the ...more
Kathleen
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This board book is way to advanced for my teeny tiny one, but I loved it. Well, he did love turning the pages, usually faster than I could get the words out. Fun little history lesson with poems about some of the key presidents. I'm all for kids reading (or not reading) books that have more complex topics than colors, alphabet and opposites. Who says board books have to be boring?
Earl
Nov 21, 2017 rated it liked it
An introduction to some of the US presidents (with a full list in the back) started off this series of nonfiction biography board books. With simple rhyming text and lively illustrations, the youngest readers can get to know people who've changed the world or made a difference.
Peacegal
Mar 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Cute, fun, and educational little book introduces some of the most famous US Presidents in a colorful way.
Becky Cobb
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book for little ones to learn about their presidents.
Erik
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great introduction to some of the more popular presidents. Each one gets a quick rhyme and an interesting fact. Fun little drawings and a nice timeline of all presidents at the back.
Joana Arteaga
Jan 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am in love with this book because my two year is obsessed with it. It is a great introduction to presidents and is short enough for kids that can't sit still for very long. This is the first book I have seen my two year old really into and he tries to read along with me. He already memorized the title and before I even started this review he saw the pictures and said "mommy my president book, where is it?" (President sounds more like prett when he says it though). Any book that gets my childre ...more
Joana Arteaga
Jun 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rachel
Sep 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This Little President offered some very basic facts about several presidents starting with George Washington and ending with Barack Obama. It would be a great read aloud for very young readers that you are wanting to start on history early.

However, I don't think I will use it as a group read aloud.
Trish
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, je
This is a neat book about presidents. My kindergartner liked it.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Good Night, Sweetie
  • Only What's Necessary: Charles M. Schulz and the Art of Peanuts
  • The Making of Middle-Earth: A New Look Inside the World of J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Any Questions?
  • I Am Jane Goodall
  • Rabbit Moon
  • Fly Guy Presents: Firefighters (Fly Guy Presents, #4)
  • The Wildest Race Ever: The Story of the 1904 Olympic Marathon
  • Down with the Old Canoe: A Cultural History of the Titanic Disaster
  • The Rise of David Levinsky
  • Saffron Ice Cream
  • Lift Your Light a Little Higher: The Story of Stephen Bishop: Slave-Explorer
  • Flying Frogs and Walking Fish: Leaping Lemurs, Tumbling Toads, Jet-Propelled Jellyfish, and More Surprising Ways That Animals Move
  • Strays Like Us
  • Goodnight Mr Panda
  • Jack B. Ninja
  • Grow Up, David!
  • Countablock
Children's book author:
TOOL SCHOOL; MIGHTY DADS (a NY Times bestseller); LITTLE RED WRITING; the GODDESS GIRLS series (with Suzanne Williams); THIS LITTLE PRESIDENT, A Presidential Primer; THIS LITTLE TRAILBLAZER, A Girl Power Primer, ZERO THE HERO. Lucky to be doing what I love!