Start by marking “The English Son (The Amish Millionaire #1)” as Want to Read:
The English Son (The Amish Millionaire #1)

The English Son

(The Amish Millionaire #1)

Join New York Times Bestselling author Wanda E. Brunstetter along with Jean Brunstetter in Holmes County for a dramatic new 6-part serial novel.

Meet businessman Joel Byler who has gotten himself into a financial bind and his eccentric, wealthy Amish father who is done bailing out his spoiled son. When will Joel learn he must pay for his own mistakes—and at what cost to h
Published March 1st 2016 by Shiloh Run Press

To ask other readers questions about The English Son, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The English Son

Start your review of The English Son (The Amish Millionaire #1)
Elaina
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
~2.5 stars~

Okay, so this was not a favorite book of mine :/ I guess it just wasn't my cup of tea...I didn't like Joel, which I suppose was kinda the point of his character...but I definitely didn't like when he said that he was basically just going to church and putting up with his girlfriend, Kristi, praying just because he didn't want to lose her...I mean really?? What is the point of dating a person, if you don't even have the same values or beliefs?

To me, there wasn't very much at all going
Kristi
Mar 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
The first installment of the Amish Millionaire serial by Wanda E. and Jean Brunstetter introduces us to Joel Byler and his fiancee, Kristi. We are also introduced to Joel's family and Kristi's mom. Joel and Kristi have a bit of (what seemed to me) a one-sided relationship and the reader gets to observe this from the very beginning.

Having never read a "serial" before I wasn't quite sure what to expect from this book. I was pleasantly surprised in the way the book plays out as if the reader is rea
Rhonda
Mar 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mom took hold of Kristi's left hand.
"I don't see a diamond sparkling back at me."
"He hasn't bought me an engagement ring yet, but I'm sure I'll be wearing one soon."
Deep wrinkles formed across Mom's forehead. Her blue eyes, mirroring Kristi's, had lost their sparkle.
"I'm sure you're aware of what the Bible says about being unequally yoked with unbelievers."

Joel Byler has proposed marriage to Kristi Palmer, but he hasn't given her an engagement ring yet or set a date for the wedding. He works
Michelle Stanley
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Michelle Stanley for Readers' Favorite

The English Son is the first of a six-part series from The Amish Millionaire by Wanda E. Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter. Joel Byler could not resist buying his sports car, even though he knew it would put him heavily into debt, and unable to purchase an engagement ring for his fiancée, Kristi Palmer. Kristi, who is a Christian, does not know why Joel is frustrated and she wonders why he has suddenly become aloof with her.

Joel reluctantly visits
Tina Watson
Jul 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I am a fan of Wanda E. Brunstetter's writings. I like her writing style and the way she usually holds my interest in her books. Sadly I was disappointed in reading "The English Son: The Amish Millionaire Part 1" written by Wanda E. Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter.

I understand that this series is broken down into parts and this makes them short stories, but part one, "The English Son" did not hold my interest; I pushed myself to read it the whole way through just to make sure it was me or the b
Pam Pavkov
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The English Son, part one of the new Amish Millionaire series by Wanda Brunstetter and her daughter-in-law Jean Brunstetter is an intriguing book. The well described characters made you feel like you already new them.

Joel Byler has left behind his Amish family and community to start his own construction company among the English. The success of his business has afforded him to lead a comfortable lifestyle or has it? When Joel loses on a bid for a large project what does this mean for his future?
Nancee
Jan 19, 2016 added it
The first in a new series, The English Son starts out with the story of an egotistical young ex-Amish man who acts selfishly with no regard for consequences. He takes advantage of family, friends and even his girlfriend. Joel Byler has left his Amish roots behind to become English. He only returns to his father when he wants something.

This young man made me so angry! I immediately took a disliking to him, and that opinion of him lasted throughout this segment of the series. His actions and atti
Maureen Timerman
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016
As we open this book we meet a young man that has just purchased his dream car, and spent $250,000 for it, he must be wealthy, right? So much joy he is experiencing, and you fell happy for him, I could just picture him riding around in his Corvette, but this is the beginning of a big spiral, he was hedging his fortunes, which brings to mind a lot of fallen people whom have done this.
Joel is in a relationship with a sweet Mennonite girl, in fact he is engaged to her, but as her mom reminds Kristi
⚜️Trea
I am not a fan of serial novels at all, but I have enjoyed the author's work previously, so I thought I'd give this a chance when it went on sale for free. Sadly, I was bitterly disappointed in this story!

I hated how selfish Joel was, but more to the point, he couldn't see how selfish he was! How can he change and grow as a character if he doesn't see this fundamental flaw?! I also hated his stupidity and greed, and felt his family's reactions to him were well deserved. There wasn't enough time
Chuck Stone
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A quick read, and I'm looking forward to the next book in this series.
Wanda Brunstetter has teamed up with her daughter in law to create another series about the lives of the plain and simple life while interacting with "English" folks that are friends, and in this case a member of the family that has left the Amish ways to pursue a life that they feel is more to their liking.
I have my mom to thank for getting me to read this genre of books. And I am enjoying every one of the books she passes ov
Kristine Morgan
Jun 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy Brunstetter's books, but with the English Son and The Stubborn Father, I feel she is trying too hard to come up with a story to justify the fact that each installment is $6.99. If both books had been included in a full-size novel I may have been more content. The amount of reminiscing was excessive and the plot is thin. I am glad that I checked these out from the library and did not waste my money. I will probably not even check out the other 4 books. Very disappointing for a Bru ...more
Kate
Feb 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This was an interesting introduction to the 'series' (if a story is released serially, does it make it a true series?). At first, I thought it would only be told from Joel and Kristi's points of view, so it was interesting to have Daed, and the 3 sisters' 'voices' added to the narration as you went along.
I am definitely intrigued, and wondering what will happen next.
(note that this ends on a cliffhanger, but that all 6 parts of the story have been published, so it shouldn't be too hard to find o
Karen
I really enjoy reading books by Wanda E Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter. The English Son is the first book in the series of the Amish Millionaire. There are six books in all. I read it in one sitting and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to reading more of this series. The only thing I don't like is having to wait for the each book to come out each month. It's too long to wait and I usually forget what I read before. But, since I enjoy the authors' books I will have to sit and wait. :)
Dawn
Sep 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic book by Wanda Brunstetter. All of has been in the position where we get ourselves into debt and find no way to get out. When asking for money from family is hard but even harder if the family member says no. Cant wait to read the next book to find out what happens. This one left a cliff hanger.
Kathy
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fans of Amish fiction will welcome this new series. I read it in one sitting and can't wait for the next one. The Brunstetters deliver a complicated situation and ethical dilemma in an easy to read succinct story.
Read my review at http://bit.ly/1Xm8flN
Kimberly
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
The English Son: The Amish Millionaire Part 1 by [Brunstetter, Wanda E., Brunstetter, Jean]Before I begin I thought that I had reviewed this book before, but after re-reading it I realized that this was a different book. This book is the first of the Amish Millionaire series by Wanda and Jean Brunstetter.

Joel Byler, in my opinion, was an impulsive man. He purchased an car which was going to keep him from buying a ring for Kristi Palmer, his fiancee. This has made him act differently to Kristi a
Sylvia
Jan 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!! Great story!! Can't wait to read the next book in the series!! Love this author's books!!
Destiny Sanderson
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance, 2019
This is my firat Book by this author and my first Amish related book and I would have to say that I love it heading to book 2
Kelly
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
In The English Son by Wanda E. Brunstetter we begin a 6 part journey. Business man Joel has gotten himself in a financial bind and his eccentric, wealthy Amish father is done helping his spoiled son. When will Joel learn he must pay for his mistakes and at what cost to his business, his fiancee, and his Amish siblings?

I recommend this book to teenagers and adults.

This is a quick paced book that is part 1 of 6. The story ends in a real cliffhanger and left me wondering how long will I have to wai
Kristina
Mar 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The English Son by Wanda E. Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter is the first book in The Amish Millionaire series. Joel Byler has just put himself in a financial bind by buying the car of his dreams. It is a 1967 Corvette Stingray (he paid $250,000). Now, though, Joel (a contractor) needs to come up with the money needed to pay his subcontractors for their latest work. Joel has a joint account with his fiancé, Kristi Palmer. They are saving up money for their wedding and a home (he lives in a trail ...more
Deana Dick
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great start to a very promising six part story. Joel is a very determined young man. He has visions of making lots of money and marring Kristi. He has asked her to marry him, but he has not bought her an engagement ring yet. I wonder why he hasn't put a ring on her finger? Could it be the very expensive and unnecessary car he bought? He becomes very careless with his money and soon finds himself in trouble. He can't pay his subcontractors and he is hiding a few secrets from Kristi. This r ...more
Angel Hatfield
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Joel was a general contractor whose fiance was Kristi . He just bought a 1967 Corvette with money from a job he had completed but he did not pay his subcontractors and the next big job he thought he was suppose to start right away was given to another contractor.So now he didn’t know what he would do enless he got another big job and got the down payment to pay the other workers. He even took money out of the account kristi and he had that was for their future and didn’t discuss it with her but ...more
Amanda [Novel Addiction]
2.5? Maybe. Maybe just a 2.

This just felt... so fake. I thought the dialogue felt awkward, the characters were unlikable, and I wasn't impressed by the writing, either. I know Wanda Brunstetter is a well-loved writer when it comes to Amish Fiction/Amish Romance, but.. I don't see it. However, this is a serialized novel, so it's very possible that her work, when hacked into chunks, loses its charm. Assuming it had any.

I read this for a reading challenge - I had to read an Amish Romance. And I fi
Michelle
Jun 29, 2016 added it
Recommends it for: Wanda Brunstetter readers
Recommended to Michelle by: Net Galley

`The English Son` is an Amish/Mennonite book written by Wanda and Jean Brunstter. This book is part one of a six-part series. The male protagonist, Joel, reminds me of the prodigal son. He spends all his inheritance. Will the son see the view from his father and go back before it's too late? It is necessary to read these books in order. Because where one book ends, leaving the reader hanging, the other picks up.
With the sale of Joel's first product he bought a $200,000 car. He was deceitful t
Gail Hollingsworth
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The English Son is part one of six in the Amish Millionaire series. We are introduced to the Byler Family in which there is a widowed father, three daughters and their families and a son that has turned English. Joel has left his family for the world and making lots of money is all that's mainly on his mind. He has bought something he's always wanted and over spent to the point where he can't pay his bills and has approached his father once again for a "loan". His father has allowed oil companie ...more
Jenark
Jan 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
After reading the Discovery series I had high hopes for this first book in The Amish Millionaire series. Did it meet my expectations? Yes and no. It gave some good bones to build on for the next five books, it has a great ending (no peaking, you must start on page one), and it did a good job of setting up the story. I know most of the distaste for the novel is simply because it's the introduction. We meet all the main characters and start to learn the difficulties of their relationships and sudd ...more
Tina
Feb 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The English Son is a 6 part series that is written by Wanda Brunstetter and Jean Brunstetter.

I was going to write a review for each book, but I felt that I needed to finish each book before I could really write what needed to be said. When I first started reading this series I was taken right from the beginning and knew that I was going to really love it. I however, wasn't prepared for the the twist that were taken in this heartwarming series.

In the first book we meet Joel a young Amish man yo
Connie Saunders
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
The English Son by Wanda Brunstetter and her daughter-in-law Jean is the first of a six part serial novel. This quick and easy read introduces readers to Joel Byler, a young Amish man who has lived in English society for the past seven years. During these years, he has fallen in love with Kristi and also become financially burdened. When he returns home to ask his wealthy father for help, Joel doesn't receive the welcome or the help that he was hoping for.

This story is, of course, a cliffhanger
Ellen
May 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished
Brunstetter writes easy to understand tales of families based in an Amish environment. This one is not exception. Mostly I like her faith and family based stories; I like this one...as far as it has gone. I don't appreciate her publisher's plan of printing the story one chapter at a time. This is book one of six. By the time the next one and the next and the next...get printed, I've forgotten key points from the first.
I'm hoping the publisher will do as previously where they print the entire st
Kati
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook
I've read several Brunstetter books in the past and enjoyed them, but the last few she's put out I'm having a hard time liking. The dialog seems off .... I find myself thinking (often) "who talks like that?" I don't even think Amish people talk the way these characters do (this book has both Amish and "English" characters in it and I've thought it about all of them). I also feel like it needed some better editing. I need to go check the print version of this book, but I listened to one section t ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Murder Simply Brewed (Amish Village Mystery #1)
  • Murder Freshly Baked (Amish Village Mystery #3)
  • The Promise of Palm Grove (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #1)
  • An Amish Kitchen: Three Amish Novellas
  • A Love Made New (Amish of Birch Creek #3)
  • Listening to Love (An Amish Journey #2)
  • Murder Tightly Knit (Amish Village Mystery #2)
  • When the Heart Cries (Sisters of the Quilt, #1)
  • A Reluctant Bride (Amish of Birch Creek #1)
  • The Timepiece
  • A Place at Our Table (Amish Homestead #1)
  • The Memory Jar (Seven Brides for Seven Bachelors, #1)
  • Plain Pursuit (Daughters of the Promise, #2)
  • An Amish Year
  • Missing (The Secrets of Crittenden County #1)
  • The Missing (Seasons of Grace, #2)
  • A Wedding at the Orange Blossom Inn (Amish Brides of Pinecraft, #3)
  • The Fiddler (Home to Hickory Hollow, #1)
New York Times bestselling and award-winning author, Wanda E. Brunstetter is one of the founders of the Amish fiction genre. She has written close to 90 books translated in four languages. With over 10 million copies sold, Wanda's stories consistently earn spots on the nations most prestigious bestseller lists and have received numerous awards.

Wanda’s ancestors were part of the Anabaptist faith, a

The Amish Millionaire (6 books)
  • The Stubborn Father (The Amish Millionaire #2)
  • The Betrayed Fiancee (The Amish Millionaire #3)
  • The Missing Will (The Amish Millionaire #4)
  • The Divided Family (The Amish Millionaire #5)
  • The Selfless Act (The Amish Millionaire #6)

News & Interviews