Start by marking “The Asylum Novellas: The Scarlets / The Bone Artists / The Warden (Asylum, #1.5, 2.5, 3.5)” as Want to Read:

The Asylum Novellas: The Scarlets / The Bone Artists / The Warden

(Asylum #1.5, 2.5, 3.5)

Three teens are pushed to the edge of their sanity in these chilling novellas set in the world of the New York Times bestselling Asylum series, featuring terrifying found photographs and a sneak peek at a new prequel novel, Escape from Asylum.

Before Dan, Abby, and Jordan ever stepped foot inside the Brookline asylum, its legacy of terror stretched far and deep. Enter the t
Published February 2nd 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Asylum Novellas, please sign up.
Rebecca Meier Asylum series alone has 5 books, plus she has a new series, the first book is called House of Furies

Start your review of The Asylum Novellas: The Scarlets / The Bone Artists / The Warden (Asylum, #1.5, 2.5, 3.5)
Ashley Daviau
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I was a little worried that this collection would go the way of so many other novellas and just be reiterations of stuff that we already read in the main books of the series. But I was pleasantly surprised that this ended up being all new material!

And was it ever stellar material! So much so that I'm left wishing that each of these novellas had a whole book of their own. Each story had my complete and total attention from beginning to end and I just couldn't seem to turn the pages fast enough!
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
4 stars for the first two novellas, 3 stars for the third. You can see my detailed reviews on each novella's main page. ...more
Cindee
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These novellas are the perfect way to find all of the pieces of not quite explained things from the other novels. In these three novellas I liked the characters they were all well written I especially liked Cal,Oliver, and Jocelyn these stories really explain many things about characters that were not explored in previous novels I really liked how they were depicted in these novellas. I really liked the plots of these stories in The Scarlets it explains really well how Cal ended up becoming like ...more
Reading is my Escape
Creepy backstories to Asylum...
If you enjoyed the Asylum series and are looking for new insights into that world, you should read this. The book consists of three novellas, The Scarlets, The Bone Artists, and The Warden. It has been a while since I read the first two Asylum books, so I didn't get as much out of this. But if you just read the Asylum books, you will probably enjoy this and it will add to your enjoyment and give more clues to the mysteries of Asylum.
Irene△⃒⃘➰
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
TOTAL: 3.6/6

The Scarlets ★★.6/5
____

The Bone Artists ★★★.2/5

The Warden ★★★★★/5
___

Nice collection of stories that expand our Asylum universe.
As you can see I found the first one kinda boring, in the second one there's definetely more action, but the third one was absolutely perfection. That's exactly what I wanted to read, loved it👌🏻
Zombieslayer⚡Alienhunter
A/N:
What follows is something of a micro review for the Asylum series as a whole.
-Z

Madeleine Roux's Asylum trilogy, though I would admit I wouldn't call those first two books 'horror', is a chilling ride of mystery that, for two years now, I've thoroughly enjoyed.
While the story of the Hydra- Dan, Abby and Jordan, was concluded in Catacomb, (though I, myself, am holding out for a reunion novel featuring them all six kinds of fucked up ten years out of Brookline) these three novellas provide sma
Courtney
It was okay.

Cal's story, the Scarlett's was the best out of the three, in my opinion. You don't see a major change from the character we met in the second book, since he's such a minor character there, but it's interesting to get some background info on what led up to Dan & co.s' arrival.
The one I liked least was the third one, the Warden. Unlike the other two we see events through a totally new character, a nurse newly hiring on at Brookhaven. (I think she's new anyway - if not, she didn't st
Natalie
Overall these stories were decent, but I like the novels. I would NOT recommend reading these before you read the main novels as it will give things away.

Here's the breakdown:

The Scarlets - it was interesting to get some background on Cal as his character was never really developed. I found I liked him a lot more in this.

The Bone Artists - gives a lot of background of Oliver and his situation. I wasn't very sympathetic to him when I read Catacomb but felt more sympathetic to him in this.

The
Miranda Reads
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Haven't read the Asylum series. Maybe if I had then I would've enjoyed these novellas.

Review to come.

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Snapchat @miranda_reads
Nicole Alycia
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018-reads
4.5/5 stars!
An interesting look into the world of Brookline before our main trip from the Asylum series walks through its doors.
Each story gives a unique perspective into the parts of the story you don’t learn as much about. Overall, a great set of short stories that kept up that creepy, conspiracy theory vibe!
Mae
Feb 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have the e-book of The Scarlets and The Bone Artists. I'm pretty certain that I'll get the e-book for The Warden too. Then, the announcement of release date happened. The e-book for The Warden and the novella compilation has the same release date so where did I settle? The physical copy, of course. It has photographs and a specific font for talking ghosts. I'm simple like that.

Rated the novella compilation 4/5 stars because The Warden was ace.

Spoilers ahead. Read at your own risk.

T
Angel White
Apr 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Some readers don't enjoy novellas in a series. For the most part I do as they bring backstory to some of the main books. I enjoyed reading these 3 novellas as it explains some of the history behind the books I've already finished. ...more
Leeann Sheriff
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Scarlets tells a little more information about how some of the students become members of the Scarlets. They run the town, school and more. Only coming from prominent families.

The Bone Artist, tells how some of the students are paid to dig up dead peoples bodies in the cemetery for the Bone Artists benefits. Interesting to know that they are severely punished if they refuse to bring the bones or if they art caught in the act.

The Warden, talks about how there were people hired to work in the
Jen
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
these were pretty good little short stories set in the asylum world. even though they have the 1.5 and 2.5 distinctions, I would wait to read these until you have finished the series as some things that are "twists" will be spoiled in the novels. I enjoyed these little glimpses of what happened to character who were not one of the big three. it was cool to see the subtle hints or mentions of characters or events in that took place in the main works. another 3.5 star read. ...more
Zach
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Overall, there was a decent amount of background info that added to the main stories, but this could have easily been part of the main stories in a condensed format. Not as much horror as I expected, and I had trouble getting interested enough to continue the book.

Recommended reading order for the series:

1.5
2.5
0.5
3.5

But that’s just my opinion.

Anyway, I think books 1 and 2 were the best.
Jamie
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read 'The Scarlets' last night and LOVED it! Will update this review when I get to #2.5 in the series..'The Bone Artists'. I started #2 this morning 'Sanctum'...so far it is Creepy FANTASTIC!

**Update: Just finished #2.5 and man oh man..the plot thickens!! This story is a crazy roller coaster ride and I am screaming with delight!

*Update: Finished 'The Warden', and it was ok. I expected a better ending to this series. Overall, the series rocked!!
Isaiah
Jan 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
To see a full review check it out here

I loved these novellas. They were the only reason I was able to get through the main book series. They gave those novels life and depth. They also showed me that Roux had horror writing ability.
Andy
Aug 11, 2016 rated it did not like it
Added nothing to the already established novels. All 3 stories had plots that finally became intriguing only for it to end abruptly. I would've loved to know more about the Scarlets and Bone Artists and how both groups came into play at Brookline. Pointless novellas in my opinion. ...more
Kristina Kercher
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I'm only finished because I got halfway thru and couldn't keep going... The first novella is good, tho. ...more
Conrad
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it
These novellas didn't add much to the story but they were still nice. ...more
Kai Van
Oct 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2020
CW: casual abelism (cr*zy, ins*ne, d*mb), multiple instances of the term s*v*ge

3 stories, each receiving a 4/5 stars. a nice little addition to the asylum series. liked it a lot!
mckaylah
Jan 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, 2020
The Scarlets

”There are always two deaths, the real one and the one people know about.”

3.5 STARS

Seeing as it’s a novella, it’s no surprise how quick of a read it was. Only took me about an hour and a half max (including my ten minute homework break). Personally, Cal’s character always intrigued me ever since he was introduced in the second book (where his past/story was never truly explored and touched on), so I was pretty excited when I realized he was the main character. His personality and nar
Shelley
May 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This collection of Asylum short stories gives insight into some of the side characters in the Asylum series by revealing their back stories.

The Warden is by far theist notable story because it has a lot of the darker undertones and mystery to it that the first two books in the series maintain throughout. In the Warden we learn the back story of Nurse Joy and along with her story, we learn that the Asylum has a dark secret and it’s not just the unethical and disturbing experiments on the patient
emily_oriley
Feb 24, 2020 rated it did not like it
So, at the end of Monkey Island 2, the computer game from the 90’s, you get a very sarcastic congratulations for finishing the game and then an enormous list of things you could’ve done INSTEAD of playing this game.

That’s how I feel right now. Only whereas that was a funny joke in tune with the tone of the game, this feeling is frustrated. Because there are so many things I probably should have done instead of reading these novellas.

First of all, the author is taking two barely even sub-charac
Sandy
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
If you haven't read the series or the prequel this could give you a taste of what to expect. I had read the trilogy, then the prequel and then the novellas. The novellas do give you a little extra than what you got in the books but nothing earth shattering and you could easily skip these. The only one I thought really added something was the Warden, which is kind of a prequel to the prequel, Escape from Asylum.

In Escape, the incident with Madge is referenced vaguely. In the novella you find out
Diego Sanchez
Apr 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book because I got so excited about this saga, since the first book was good for me and I loved the development of the characters. These stories function as a prequel for each of them, with "new characters" that later will be introduced in the books from the saga. First of all, the three stories are not related, which helps you to read it as short "scary stories" that you can read in one day.

"The Scarlets" was good, I enjoyed seeing the development of the character and how he gets in
The_Books_Music_Life
I didn’t know how to rate this so i rated and reviewed each story individuality.

The Scarlets -

The Scarlets was some what interesting, it was nice to see Cal again but i didnt find the story that great, it was really slow for me and i felt like i was re-reading things. — 3 stars

The Bone Artist -

I had such a hard time getting through this book. I love Madeleine Roux writing and the world that is the Asylum series. But i just didn't find the Bone Artist that interesting. I couldn’t get into Oli
Kat Skarbek
Apr 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
Might be of more interest to those who have read the books from which these novellas are drawn.

I read them to see if they were appropriate for my daughter but they are too old for an eleven year old (YA covers a wide range of ages these days, it seems - some stuff is perfect for her - this, not so much).

In all honesty the characters were a bit one dimensional, (Micah irritated the shit out of me), the plots had no real suspense to them and I was bored by the writing, which I felt was a bit sl
Michela
May 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anybody
Shelves: horror, fun-2-read, 4-star
A very nice prologue for the series! The Warden makes me so eager to read Escape From Asylum. The Scarlets justs answers all the questions that i had for Sanctum. The Bone Artists was okay, but it kept me interested because it was the life of Micah. The murders at the end totally stunned me, and I was impressed. The Warden was kind of startling, because i had to erase today's society in my mind, and replace it with the society in the '60s. It wasnt hard, but just the comforts we have now, they d ...more
BlurryBug
This is only gave this a 3 star because I really enjoyed the last story "The Warden" as it gives a back story to the life in the asylum when Warden Daniel Crawford was in charge.

However the other two stories The Scarlets that shows how students joined up with the secret society and The Bone artist follows Micah and his friend Oliver and their involvement with some highly illegal craiglist jobs didn't add that much to the series.
Sure it was nice getting a little more in The Bone Artist but as it
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Desolations of Devil's Acre (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #6)
  • The Haunting of Sunshine Girl (The Haunting of Sunshine Girl, #1)
  • Dead to You
  • The Color of Fear (Once Upon a Zombie, #1)
  • The Suffering (The Girl from the Well, #2)
  • As Dead As It Gets (Bad Girls Don't Die, #3)
  • The Belly Book: A Nine-Month Journal for You and Your Growing Belly
  • Knight Errant
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book: Nine Months of Practical Tips, Useful Advice, and Uncensored Truths
  • Picture Perfect
  • The Baby Name Wizard: A Magical Method for Finding the Perfect Name for Your Baby
  • The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim (The Dark Missions of Edgar Brim #1)
  • We Hear Voices
  • Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children Boxed Set (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1-3)
  • Talking Pictures: Images and Messages Rescued from the Past
  • Heart of the Storm (Undertow, #3)
  • Raging Sea (Undertow, #2)
  • From Bad to Cursed (Bad Girls Don't Die, #2)
New York Times Bestselling Author of the ASYLUM series, Allison Hewitt Is Trapped, Sadie Walker Is Stranded and the upcoming House of Furies series.

MADELEINE ROUX received her BA in Creative Writing and Acting from Beloit College in 2008. In the spring of 2009, Madeleine completed an Honors Term at Beloit College, proposing, writing and presenting a full-length historical fiction novel. Shortly af

Asylum (3 books)
  • Asylum (Asylum, #1)
  • Sanctum (Asylum, #2)
  • Catacomb (Asylum, #3)

News & Interviews

“Are you depressed?

What? I don't know. Probably. Isn't everyone?”
4 likes
“Are you depressed?"
"What? I don't know. Probably. Isn't everyone?”
1 likes