Start by marking “The Last of the Firedrakes (Avalonia Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Last of the Firedrakes (Avalonia Chronicles, #1)

The Last of the Firedrakes

(Avalonia Chronicles #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  2,091 Ratings  ·  544 Reviews
16-year-old Aurora Darlington is an orphan. Mistreated by her adopted family and bullied at school, she dreams of running away and being free. But when she is kidnapped and dragged through a portal into a magical world, suddenly her old life doesn’t seem so bad.

Published August 15th 2015 by Wise Ink Creative Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Last of the Firedrakes, please sign up.
Farah Oomerbhoy The Avalonia Chronicles is a trilogy. So there will be two more books in addition to this one.
Farah Oomerbhoy Thank you :) my wonderful Wattpad reader. :)

Thank you :) my wonderful Wattpad reader. :)

I'm trying to get the next book ready by December 2016. I know it's a bit of a wait, but as you know Avalonia is huge, and Aurora has much to do. :)(less)

Lisa Fallon
this book was a surprise find. i came across it on netgalley and thought it sounded good, what I expected and what I got was completely different. I expect to find a good storyline that I thought would be ok. what I got a brilliant storyline that completely hooked me in and had me struggling to put down.
From the moment I met aurora I felt for her, i was sorry for her situation and the cruel teasing and tongue lashing she would get from her aunt and cousin. I have to admit that although at the st
Miranda ❤️
I received a copy of this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Originally posted on my blog Miranda's Book Blog or follow me on Bloglovin

Aurora's loving adoptive parents die in a tragic car accident, she is then sent to live with her adoptive aunt & uncle. She is unloved by her new guardians, bullied at school and utterly alone in the world. That is until Aurora is whisked away to Redstone Manor on a spur of the moment "family trip" and unexpectedly thrust into the world of Av
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
www.melissa413readsalot.blogspot.com

What a wonderful book. I think this is a great first book, I look forward to the next one!!

**SOME SPOILERS**

Aurora was adopted fifteen years ago, she never knew who her parents were. She vaguely remembered her mother. She was adopted by her fathers family and they treated her like trash. She's sixteen and all of her life they have acted like she doesn't exist and are mean to her. She finds out her uncle has sold her to a Lord Oblek! And this man walks out of
Cait • A Page with a View
This is like an exact recipe of every major YA fantasy element! I think people who are just getting into the genre, looking to learn more before they write a book, or trying to find yet another book like their top 100 YA fantasy favorites would all really love this. I can also see the younger Throne of Glass crowd being all over it! I personally wasn't super into this book, but do think I might have liked it more a few years ago.

Aurora is an orphan with a horrible life who gets whisked off to a
Alyson Stone
Book: The Last of the FireDrakes
Author: Farah Oomerbhoy
Rating: 5 Out of 5 Stars

I would like to thank NetGalley for providing me a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I was pulled into this book right away. There was just something about it that really, really made it impossible for me to put down. I loved the simple, but elegant detail that Farah put into it. The world that she created has this amazing sense of fantasy. It's not like Narina, but it is a world that will hav
Denise Morse
Jul 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
This book was exactly the type I wanted to read. It was almost reminiscent of Harry Potter in some ways but with different elements of course and most importantly, a likeable and relatable female lead. I am very much looking forward to continuing the store of Aurora and learning more about her skills, and her future.

I am somewhat new to the genre, just starting to read more YA books especially fantasy and dystopian. This book makes me want to continue in the genre.

Note: I received the book via
Norah Una Sumner
Jul 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fantasy lovers,young-adult readers
description

About the book:

"A fantastic adventure story that will transport you to a dazzling world of myth and magic.

Avalonia is a dangerous land ruled by powerful mages and a cruel, selfish queen who will do anything to control all seven kingdoms—
Amber K.
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of those fantasies you want to live in simply because the characters and pace of the story are so very compelling. I fell in love with Aurora and with her plight to understand the circumstances surrounding her parents' deaths and the visions she'd recently begun having.

One of Oomerbhoy's biggest strengths is her captivating descriptions. Sometimes I just had to sit back and say "wow" after she'd described the adornments of a castle, or the seediness of a tavern, or the pure del
Shazmeen
I loved reading this book, it was so interesting and magical I have never read anything like it. It does remind me a bit of Harry Potter But also of Narnia, but it's a completely new beautiful world. With a map!! I love maps.

Aurora Starts out as an ordinary girl, but when she's dragged into the magical world of Avalonia she realises she's special and people want her dead. She has to find out more about her life and who she is.

But what I liked was that she wasn't some perfect person, she made mi
Jul 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Last of the Firedrakes is one of my favorite reads this year. The story chronicles 16 year old Aurora's journey as she leaves the mundane world through a magical tapestry (portal) and enters a world of magic. She quickly discovers she is far from ordinary, and that she has powers she never imagined. With the help of a young fae, a magical pegasus, and a handsome mage, Aurora journeys across Avalonia to learn the truth about her past and to learn how to unleash the power within herself.

I love
Rustom
Great book! A quick fun read. Gorgeous world-building I must say!

Aurora is an orphan, dragged into a magical portal. She finds herself in Avalonia, a land of magical beings. The adventures she has kept me awake till the wee hours. I couldn't put down! There is also a school for magic, a Pegasus (whom I loved by the way) and a swashbuckling romantic hero, everything I want to see in a well balanced fantasy story.

Aurora can be perceived as silly and not following orders, but I think she's brave an
Aditi
“Most maidens are perfectly capable of rescuing themselves in my experience, at least the ones worth something, in any case.”

----Erin Morgenstern

Farah Oomerbhoy, an Indian bestselling author, has penned her debut engaging young adult fantasy novel The Last of the Firedrakes which marks as the first book in The Avalonia Chronicles where the author has weaved a mystical fantasy universe where a young princess has just returned back to rightfully proclaim the throne that belongs to her from an
Rio
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I don't normally read YA fantasy, but a friend recommended it, and I'm so glad I read it. Excellent action packed adventure, with a strong likeable heroine.

The world of Avalonia astounded me with its detail and complexity. I look forward to visiting this world again in book 2.
Karla
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely brilliant. Can I have book 2 now please as I cannot wait?

I loved this fantasy world, it was a little predictable in parts. I've been in epic magical battles, a princess, a nobody, powerful, weak, in love, consumed with hate, confused, dumfounded, in despair and finally I have hope.

Bring on book 2.

Read the book from cover to cover in one sitting, it was unputdownabke.

Now I have a major book hangover ~ what happens next?
Reena Bodani
First I would like to thank netgalley and WiseInk creative publishing for providing me a ARC of this book.

This one is now one of my favourites! Compelling plot, wonderful characters, and Magic, so much wonderful magic, magical creatures, a school for magic, I couldn't ask for anything more.

This is the story of Aurora Firedrake, an orphan living in the real world. But she soon realises she's meant for more. Dragged into the magical world of Avalonia, she proceeds on a journey of self discovery an
Shiraz Austin
A fantastic debut!

This one was quite a surprise. I came across it on netgalley and was immediately drawn into Aurora's story from the start. This book is like a wonderful amalgamation of so many magical stories, but still it is completely unique.

Aurora starts off as a confused, unprepared, 16 year old, and she grows into a confident young adult by the end of the book. She does what she thinks is right and has a strong sense of duty.

This book is about family, friendship, and of course the wonder
Hannah Dierker
Jul 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book transports you to a beautiful world of fantasy and mysticism from which you never want to leave. I am counting the days until i can read more of this original masterpiece in the next two books of the trilogy. It is truly the most beautifully written and imaginative piece of fantasy literature that I have ever come across. I want to thank the author for giving us a peek into her creative and beautiful mind! Thank you and please continue swiftly with the next two books!
Zinia
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is such a wonderful book. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Avalonia and Aurora's adventures.
Aurora is a lovely character, a little naive at times, but it makes her all the more likeable. I loved loved loved Rafe, he is fantastic, brave and charming.
Can't wait for book for book 2.
EndlessReading
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Firstly I would like to thank NetGalley for kindly approving of my request to read and review, absolutely LOVED this book.
I have fallen in love with Ms Oomerbhoy's work and I'm patiently waiting for more to come.

"The Last Of The Firedrakes" is one of then books where when you've reached the end and it leaves you dangling like a carrot in the wind, you automatically get the urge to track down the sequel and delve into the next one!

Aurora hasn't had an easy life, her biological parents were killed
Jack
Jul 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can say that I greatly enjoyed this story, so much that I read through two versions of it. I looked at some of the other reviews on this site but I saw things in a different way than others did.

Yes, there were times where I felt like smacking Aurora on the head. Some of the comments and thoughts make her seem like she is a confused idiot. With that being said though, you go to a different world that you never know about and discover that you have the ability to use magic and see how well you c
Ren. B
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great read, I thought it was very good and very engrossing. I couldn't put down.
Darly
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Last of the Firedrakes was one of the very first fantasy books I had ever read. The feisty heroine, Aurora, hooked me immediately! I loved watching her blossom throughout her journey. She is a strong and likable character, yet makes mistakes like every young girl.

The vivid detail in this story made me feel as if I was a part of the magical world of Avalonia, and I enjoyed the action incorporated into every chapter, especially the forbidden love budding between Aurora and Rafe!

This is a must
Ted
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a thrilling new take on the world of fantasy and mystical beings, I read this book in 1 day and can't wait for the second book to come out! The plot is scintillatingly unexpected and the characters are remarkable! I love the use of ancient mysticism and the incredible names of the places and characters, the writing and descriptions are so vibrant that they seem to come off the pages. I think that the black wolf has the most depth of character and is a fascinating dark hero for auroras ta ...more
Theo Dierker
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I can't stop reading and I just started today! This book is brilliantly original and will go down with the fantasy classic authors masterpieces like Tolkien, Rowling and Lawrence. I am so happy to have come across our modern day equivalent of the old greats! I particularly love the originality and creativity of the mystical creatures which are such a key part of this book and find aurora to be the best combination of brave and humble which makes the perfect fantasy heroine! I cant wait to read m ...more
Irene Sim
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
I read this book because I got an arc for the next one.

Despite it's 488 pages this story flows fast, it has an interesting world building, a complicated magic system, a variety of mythical creatures and... that's all.

I can understand that this is a debut novel and the author is mastering her craft but I found no originallity in the plot, it is so, so predictable full of the gender's tropes.

The heroine, Aurora, is so silly and I find myself having no patience for stupid girls any more. From the s
Christian
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is the first literary piece since Tolkiens lord of the rings to reflect the modern day cultural and political complexities in its own fantastical creation of avalonia and in the inhabitants of avalonia. The power structure and the magical schools and sects of mages and faes are fascinating and leave you wanting to be apart of this world.
Luana Landolt
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow! I couldn't put this book down, I love auroras ways of expression compared to rafes, and everyone else in avalonias, more formal expressions, it makes it very witty and funny! I can't wait to read the second book in this trilogy!!!
Muse-ic ♬
Pretend that you're 16 and you're living a miserable life. Your adoptive family died in a car accident, and your new adoptive family hates your guts. You don't have many friends, you're not popular or well-liked in school, and you're totally ready for your life to change. Pretend that you spent your entire life thinking you're human....when in truth, that is not the case

Well now you know how Aurora feels! Welcome to her shoes.

Aurora Darlington is half mage and half fey. Her parents were killed
Bevin
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes the genre
This book was like a delicious piece of chocolate candy! The only bad thing is that the next book has not been written yet! What am I supposed to do!?!? I hope that Farah Oomerbhoy is busy writing as I type this review. The book had a little Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones all mixed up in to a fun story line. The writing was good. The descriptions were not overly descriptive. I liked the characters and I really want to read the next book in the series!

Part of what appealed to m
Michaela Whitney
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read, books-won
I received a copy through NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review.

I was very excited to get a copy! This was one I was very excited to read.
We meet a fiery heroine, who isn't just content to just accept what everyone around her thinks she should be.
She stands up for herself, what she believes in, is brave and sometimes reckless in her need to help others.
Thrown into a land she knows nothing about, having to learn about her own history, about a land she's destined to rule. And that's she's no
  • Raelia (The Medoran Chronicles, #2)
  • My Avenging Angel (Angels and Demons #1)
  • Pieces of Jade (Pirates of Orea #1)
  • Ganesha Goes to Lunch: Classics From Mystic India
  • Torn (The Fire Born Novels #2)
  • Dark Hope (Archangel Prophecies #1)
  • Spindle (Two Monarchies Sequence, #1)
  • On a Dark Wing
  • Hour of Mischief (The Clockwork God Chronicles, #1)
  • The Smoke is Rising
  • Residue (Residue, #1)
  • Spirits, Stilettos and a Silver Bustier (Pyper Rayne, #1)
  • Business Doctors: Management Consulting Gone Wild
  • Ghost Time
  • The First Life of Vikram Roy (Ruby Iyer Series, #1.5)
  • Bound (The Caelian Cycle #2)
  • Banished (The Blackhart Legacy, #1)
  • She Loves Me, He Loves Me Not
Farah Oomerbhoy is the international bestselling author of The Avalonia Chronicles. Her first book, The Last of the Firedrakes, was originally published on Wattpad where it gained over two million reads and a Watty Award. Since publication, her debut has gone on to win a silver medal in IBPA’s Benjamin Franklin Awards and the Readers’ Favorite Book Awards, along with winning a finalist placement i ...more

Avalonia Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Rise of the Dawnstar (The Avalonia Chronicles #2)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
“Everything happens for a reason, and nothing is an accident. It is all part of a much larger divine plan,” Duke Silverthorne said gravely, but in a surprisingly kind voice. “When difficulties come, we must see them as what they are—opportunities and a new path to discover your potential. How will you ever know the magnitude of courage you are capable of if you have never experienced the hopelessness of fear?” 12 likes
“I had to stop running. I had to turn and face my life head on. It wasn’t enough being like everybody else; I had to be the best, and I was going to show everyone what I was truly made of. I was done with being a terrified princess, constantly waiting to be saved. I was going to be a queen, and, like Vivienne said, I had better start behaving like one. - (Aurora Firedrake)” 9 likes